Keeping Toys for the next generation? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
I'm at the point now where I feel too guilty to use up house space to store items for years that *might* be used someday when I know they could be put to good use right now in somebody else's home. Add to that the issue of toy safety, things breaking down over time, not wanting my kids to feel like I expect them to have kids someday, worrying about more to lose, the whole emotional baggage that goes along with gifting some cherished item to another family member -especially a child, and to me it all just ends up making more sense to pass things on today, knowing they will be appreciated and desired, not a potential burden.
You totally summed up my feelings on this!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#32 of 44 Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 AM

My mom wouldn't let us throw out anything.

The wooden puzzles basically fell apart. They were just not strong enough to make it all those years apparently. When they got here (being a little brittle) they maybe lasted a day.

The stuffed toys smelled ICKY...like my moms musty basement. We had to throw them out. Otherwise, my cabbage patch dolls from when I was a kiddo...the kids play with those. I kept them in really good shape, kept all the clothes, etc. They enjoy those.

Most things though, unless they are *super special* I wouldn't think to save them. It takes up a lot of space, and I have to think our kids won't have problems finding toys for their kids ,

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#33 of 44 Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 PM

: I was big into Breyer horses when I was a kid - had so many, in fact, that my parents forced me to sell them when I was in college - about $600 worth to the grammar-school aged daughter of my dad's coworker for $30!: Although I used to be a packrat, I'm a minimalist now.

The ONLY thing I have left is my full boxed set of Little House books. I would have given them to my goddaughter by now, but I still read them! I got them in 1977 and they're still in pretty good shape.

I know for sure that my parents have very little of our stuff from childhood left over. Books were given away to younger cousins, same thing with the Fisher-Price little people houses, Legos, etc.

lady.gif
#34 of 44 Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Yes, I plan on keeping a few things for my grandchildren, for at my home, unless my daughters ask for them.
I am planning on keeping:
A large wooden rocking horse (big enough for an adult to sit on)
A wooden dollhouse made by my husband
A wooden doll crib and highchair
American Girl Dolls, and any other "special" dolls
Our Thomas the Train set

That is about it

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
#35 of 44 Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

I think I will keep the real good stuff (like the train set and the duplo blocks)and donate the rest.

Thanks all!
#36 of 44 Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 AM

I definitely plan on keeping a few toys. No baby toys, but things that are useful from around 2-3yrs of age. Probably wooden train track, a few books, dolls clothes (my dd now plays with clothes my mum made for my doll and it saves me doing making some, there are also her dolls clothes in there - soooo cool!). I'm doubtful I will save bulky generic plastic toys though.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#37 of 44 Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 AM

My family are packrats, and they thinks it is weird that I have a yard sale almost every year, since I was 13, to de-clutter. I need to do lots more to ever be a truly de-cluttered, but at least I get rid of stuff I don't want.

I kept some of my toys that I really like, like my Winnie the Pooh, lunch boxes, a wooden airplane, this "magic box." My mom kept lots of my books, which I then went through and kept only the ones I wanted and sold the rest. She also kept all my Barbies, which I told her dd will not be allowed to play with, though she has her Barbie from her childhood and I love it, though not to play with. She kept some other little dolls, that dd loves to play with. Mostly she shops at yard sales for things like lgos and duplos, for dd to play with when we go to their house.

So I think dd can keep the things she really loves, and I will only kept things that can last, like wood, books, etc, if we have room to store, but I also sell things we will outgrow to purchase other items we need (or want).
#38 of 44 Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM

My daughter is only 10 months but I would like to save some of her favorite toys for future generations. I wish that I personally had more of my childhood toys for her to use now, but we will see how I still feel in the years to come since she is still little

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#39 of 44 Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
The ONLY thing I have left is my full boxed set of Little House books. I would have given them to my goddaughter by now, but I still read them! I got them in 1977 and they're still in pretty good shape.
OT: I still have mine, too. I still read them every other year or so. And I still read 'Little Women', 'Little Men', and 'Jo's Boys' every summer, too.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#40 of 44 Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 AM

I am saving some things, trying to be careful and selective, mostly books.
#41 of 44 Old 07-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Banned

My folks saved some things from our childhoods, mostly Fisher Price Little People stuff - and we got ours in 1969 thru 1972, so this stuff is OLD. Some of it hasn't survived, but a lot of the actual LP themselves + furniture are in great shape and my son loves them. Like a PP said, there's nothing like seeing your child play with your old toys. So I may save a few things here and there. But I will keep them at my own house, as my folks have with our old things. If they degrade over time, they will have to be thrown out.
#42 of 44 Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 PM

We are saving SOME. Brio train track. Nice and tidy in a bin.

My daughter's American Girl doll and the crib that was MY baby doll crib. All of her Angelina Ballerina stuff. Again, all packed very nicely to keep it nice is key. I think it will be neat to see my grandchildren playing my kid's toys. Just some--not everything for sure.
#43 of 44 Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but here are my thoughts. I plan on keeping a few classic simple type toys for the grandchildren (hopefully we are blessed with some!). We normally are not big on keeping stuff, but this seems important to me.

My dad died when I was 13. Last Christmas my uncle (my dad's youngest brother) came out with a couple presents for my DS (really for both kids though). He gave him a wooden train set and a marble run that they had played with as kids. These are toys that my dad played with and now my kids can too. I cannot tell you how much that means to me. If I don't end up gifting them to one of my siblings down the road (they are all quite a bit younger than me and childless still), they will be kept for grandchildren.

I don't have a lot left of my dad besides memories and some photos, and this was one of the most thoughtful things someone has done for me and my kids. :
#44 of 44 Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM

My inlaws saved a lot, and I am so grateful.

My partner's grandfather made a lot of wooden toys that my children now enjoy- a kitchen, high chair, table and chairs, cradle, rocking horse, etc.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page