Keeping Toys for the next generation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all

Do those of you with older children save any of their baby toys for the grandchildren?

I have a box of items they loved to play with. For a while there it also served as a toy box for visiting friends and their kids. But that too has stopped. They all grew up too

We have 2 buckets of the big Duplo blocks. A bunch of wooden puzzles, a Brio train set with some no name additions to it. And there are a few very sturdy plastic toys.

How do you handle these items? Is it even worth it to save them another 'who knows how many' years?
#2 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

My kids are **** very young so I haven't come to this place yet, but depending on my housing situation, I'm thinking we won't save anything. My MIL saved EVERYTHING, and it is all now cluttering up my house. I'm a little bitter about it and don't want to torture my future DILs. But maybe some realy special things IF we own a house so we don't have to move it all the time. Maybe.
#3 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
My MIL saved EVERYTHING, and it is all now cluttering up my house. I'm a little bitter about it and don't want to torture my future DILs.
I'm there, too.

I am donating our toys when the kids grow out of them.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#4 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 02:17 PM

My mother saved a lot of our old wood puzzles and I am grateful. There is nothign like seeing your kids play with your toys .

She got rid of my legos and I was majorlly :. I'm sure they are worht about 1000 today to replace :

I plan on saving things in excellent condition to have when the grandkids come over, I woulnd't save junky toys.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#5 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM

I save one or two favorite toys from each "phase" of their life. I have 4 or 5 of my old toys/toy sets, and have pulled them out for my own children to play with. I think it'll be nice for them to have some of their old toys, when they're grown.

I'm not saving any to keep here for future grandchildren, though. It'll be up to my children whether they want to pass these toys onto their own kiddos. I'm pretty confident that in 30 years or so, when my babies are having babies, the toys they play with now will probably be deemed unsafe, much like the "lead paint" toys we used to play with as children.
#6 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM

I wish I had kept more of my stuff. I have my baby doll, some plastic farm animals, and some stuffed animals. I wish had more of my dolls, my tinker toys (can't find those now) my legos, (I had lots) and all my stuffed animals.

I also have a couple of my baby toys, altho they are in no condition for a baby to play with (plastic broke down on one, others got used as doll toys). I also have baby booties I used for Rachel!! and a brush that was my mom's when she was a baby. I have some miniature china that was my grandmothers, I think.

For Rachel, I am keeping a few baby toys, and some special clothes. Probably more as she gets older, but she is only 2 now.
#7 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 PM

I was just soured on the idea of saving toys for grandchildren last night, when my MIL brought out and old rusty can of painted wooden spools from the 70's for my 9 month old to play with. Let's see...rust, possible lead-based paint, sitting in a basement for 30 years...no thanks, MIL!

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#8 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM

I saved most of dd's for ds, but when we're done having kids, I don't plan to keep most of them. One or two special items per child per age is reasonable IMO. Handmade by the family I'll definitely keep (like the doll cradle my grandpa made for me that dd is now using); and a few items that were most beloved; beloved books. But generic plastic including legos and playmobil, even generic wooden stuff, I plan to give away/sell when we're done with them.

I just don't think the kids will want *everything* they ever used. They'll want new and more modern used stuff for their children just like I do. A friend's mother passed away last year and I helped her clear through literally everything she had ever worn or played with or read as a child that her mother had stored in the basement. We ended up with a lot of it, and her mother took impeccable care of it all. On the other hand, my mother had boxes and boxes of books that she never paid any attention to their storage conditions, and they're moldy and basically trashed. But she won't throw them out because they were once worth something and meant something to her family. I just try to be realistic that I don't have the time, space, and energy to store very many unused toys well.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#9 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM

My MIL is a pack rat & she saved A LOT of DH's toys. Luckily some of it mysteriously disappeared after their divorce.

DH & I went through his things & we kept his unit blocks, several books, a shape sorter & a few trucks. It's so cool to see our DS play with the trucks & our DD looking at her Daddy's books.

I plan on keeping just a few wooden toys & favorite books & that's it. All stuffed animals will be done away with. They are so nasty after 25-30 yrs :Puke

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#10 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 PM

I'm at the point now where I feel too guilty to use up house space to store items for years that *might* be used someday when I know they could be put to good use right now in somebody else's home. Add to that the issue of toy safety, things breaking down over time, not wanting my kids to feel like I expect them to have kids someday, worrying about more to lose, the whole emotional baggage that goes along with gifting some cherished item to another family member -especially a child, and to me it all just ends up making more sense to pass things on today, knowing they will be appreciated and desired, not a potential burden.
#11 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 PM

DH's parents have some toys from when their kids were small (about 40 years ago) and to be honest it's not really stuff my son wants to play with or I particularly want him to handle. Peeling, possibly lead-based paint, as a PP mentioned. Broken, worn components. Sharp edges/corners that you just don't find on modern toys. Long-stringed pull toys that are possibly a choking hazard. Etc.

I'd rather pass on toys to another child who will play with them soon after DS is done, then have them gather dust for decades and possibly become obsolete for reasons I could not predict.
#12 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 03:19 PM

I think this sort of thing only works if you are *very* selective and only keep a small number of things. Otherwise, as others said, it gets overwhelming to have a large number of old hand-me-downs passed on. Especially when you factor in the guilt of "mom/MIL saved these for me for X decades so I can't just get rid of them".

I think some is nice though. Just not boxes full.
#13 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
I'm at the point now where I feel too guilty to use up house space to store items for years that *might* be used someday when I know they could be put to good use right now in somebody else's home. Add to that the issue of toy safety, things breaking down over time, not wanting my kids to feel like I expect them to have kids someday, worrying about more to lose, the whole emotional baggage that goes along with gifting some cherished item to another family member -especially a child, and to me it all just ends up making more sense to pass things on today, knowing they will be appreciated and desired, not a potential burden.
This is an excellent point! It's one thing to save one or two items that will age well, but it's a waste to save lots of toys that could be played with now. I think those future moms and dads will want to choose their own toys for their kids, and while they'll probably appreciate that a few childhood treasures were saved, they won't want or expect to have their entire nurseries furnished from their own hand-me-downs.

I have most of my dolls, a lot of my books, none of my LEGOs, and one or two wooden toys from childhood. While it's nice to have, most of the dolls are too fragile for my girls to actually play with. They do read the books, and enjoy them, so I'm glad they were saved.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#14 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 PM

My parents did this, and it was difficult because they saved stuff that really should have been trashed years ago. Unsafe, chipping paint, moldy in one case. : They should never have done it. What they saved was not worth it.

I love my parents dearly, and so we gently helped the toys into that great trashheap in the sky so as not to hurt their feelings... but let's just say there is a reason I am a fanatic about decluttering. Dang, what if that compulsion is inherited!
#15 of 44 Old 07-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Both my parents and my inlaws did this. My inlaws have some kid toys which works well when we visit them. My mom was a kindergarten teacher, so she has a lot of age appropriate toys that weren't even really ours, she used them in her classroom, which means they have a bunch of toys to play with there as well. Neither has dumped these toys on us, which I like.

So, I like that the kids have toys to play with at their grandparents, however, there isn't any reason why they need to be your kids toys. Toys are so cheap at yard sales and whatnot, that my inclination is get rid of them, except for maybe some really nice, or especially sentimental ones that you have a strong desire to pass down and just plan to have fun finding fun toys for your grandkids to use at your house when the time comes.

All the good toys we have are going into boxes marked 'hand me down' and stored in my parents attic for my brother's kids if they want them, if not, a later yard sale. (The crappy ones will get tossed or donated)

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#16 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 01:13 AM

I have one medium sized box (out air filter came in it) that I have special clothes/toys books saved in. If something comes along that I want to add that I think will be appreciated I have to choose something else to take out.

My mom has a few toys and books that were mine that the boys play with when they visit -- but she didn't keep anything in bad condition. The boys also got to wear the sweater that their grandma knitted for DH - that was nice. So I think a few carefully chosen items can be appreciated but not too much or not in good condition.
#17 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 01:33 AM

my mom save a lot of our stuff (clothes and toys) some of it is nasty and descneagrated after 25 years ans some of it is perfect. i think saving for the next generation is a wonderful idea. just consider the material each thing is made of and use that to determine if it will last. my mom just gave 3 month old DD a silverplated rattle that was mine and she loves it. also, she is wearing lots of my old dresses. they look great for their age!

::
#18 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 AM

My children are currently playing with my Breyer horses and Cabbage Patch dolls. They also have some of my old Golden Books.

I plan on keeping the wooden trains, American Girl doll (my cousin, who is 31, still has hers and my DD loves to play with them when we visit!) and possibly all the duplos or legos? Plus a few stuffed animals (well, they have picked those themselves.)
#19 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
I think this sort of thing only works if you are *very* selective and only keep a small number of things. Otherwise, as others said, it gets overwhelming to have a large number of old hand-me-downs passed on. Especially when you factor in the guilt of "mom/MIL saved these for me for X decades so I can't just get rid of them".

I think some is nice though. Just not boxes full.
:

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#20 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 AM

I will certainly keep some of ds's toys for grandkids. I'll be selective of course, but ds has quite a few gorgeous wooden toys with all natural finishes- they're really heirloom quality toys and I can't imagine just getting rid of them. I'm sure that at the bare minimum we'll keep his unit blocks, some wooden trucks, his abacus, the little wooden doll cradle, etc.

I don't think I'd bother saving any plastic, mass-produced, electronic, character-type toys. Nor would I bother with saving any stuffed animals or other soft toys that would likely just get moldy and so forth.

I totally understand not wanting to burden my children with a bunch of old stuff, but these are all things that can stay at our house for the grandchildren to play with when visiting us if needed. I'm sure we'll also keep a decent selection of classic children's books that can stay at our house on a special little bookshelf just for the grandkids.
#21 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 PM

Don't do it! My IL's have a horrible tendency to dump their unwanted junk on us (from expired cheese, t-shirts unknowningly stuck in our bags, books from his gma sent with his mom, ugh!). His grandmother gave him an obnoxious signing Ernie toy claiming that he love love loved it when he was a toddler. Because of this DH and I tolerated it, and DD loved it. However, after a while I looked on the tag and realized it was made in 1989, when DH would have been oh..... 17!!!! I think it was actually his nephew who liked it, or who knows, his grandma could have picked it up at a garage sale and just given it to us. His family is weird like that.

Anyway, don't torture your future DIL's. I do remember my grandparents having toys at their house for us to play with that were from my dad and aunt. So, if you are going to keep them, keep them at your house for future generations to play with at your house.
#22 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM

I agree, the few toys that are mine that my own children play with were originally at my mom's (she has never pushed them back on me) and came to my house because my kids loved them.

I have kept a few articles of clothing but not because I want the clothes to be reused, but for memories.
#23 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM

I will be saving a few wooden baby toys,my sons fagus collection and our tree blocks tree house,oh and our wooden kitchen,we spent the money on them as they are so well made and made to last with the intention of keeping t hem for the grandkids to play with.they won't take up much room and if the kids want to take them to their houses they can,

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#24 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 05:59 PM

I plan to keep the wooden unit blocks and marble run, some classic children's books, and possibly the legos. If we end up getting DD a wooden kitchen and dollhouse then we will keep those as well. And my dad is making them a playstand set- will probably keep that. Everything else will probably get given away or sold.

My DS2 does sleep with my Cabbage Patch kid every night. He is very attached to him
#25 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama View Post
I will be saving a few wooden baby toys,my sons fagus collection...
Yep, we've got a couple of their trucks too. No way are those things just being tossed out or given away- I really think they are meant to be kept as heirlooms and played with for generations.
#26 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I would only keep stuff that I wouldn't mind storing in *my* home for grandchildren to use when they come over to my house to play. My kids and their spouses would be welcome to take anything they wanted to their house, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to. I don't want to saddle my kids-in-law with my stuff.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM

I have a box that I'll be saving for the grandchildren to enjoy at my house or take home if mom and dad have no objection. My mom did that for us and the boys have enjoyed playing with toys from my childhood.

All of the toys I have decided to keep so far are wood, mostly unpainted. Some were made by local craftsmen and all of them will last for a very long time. Plastic gets brittle with age (as in the case of the Weebles treehouse from my childhood that my 2yo broke within seconds of getting his hands on it) so we probably won't save any of that, with the possible exception of the Playmobil collection.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#28 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
with the possible exception of the Playmobil collection
Oh that's another one--my kids LOVE their playmobil stuff (and I admit I do too) so I might keep that stuff. I hate keeping plastic stuff but some of it does last. DD also plays w/my old Little Ponies.
#29 of 44 Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 PM

The only things I plan on saving are LEGOs, the dollhouse, blocks, and the Thomas trains. Have spent WAY too much money on them to let them go .
#30 of 44 Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 AM

my DH has absolutely zero toys/clothes/blankets from his childhood. I think he'd love to have at least something to pass down to DD. I guess my mom kinda makes up for it since she save almost everything of mine

::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page