July Decluttering Challenge! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've been MIA for a few days...I've been busy cleaning my house, but have yet to get to the stuff that can be thrown away. Honestly, I'm finding a lot of garage sale items, so my count should be much higher after the sale next Saturday!

I'm doing some straightening up this morning, so my goal is to get through at least 10 items that can just go straight to the trash. Not tons, I know, but like I said before, I'll be doing lots in the garage sale, and with packing for our upcoming move.

Where I did clean out and throw tons away was at DH's great-grandfather's house, where we're moving sometime next month. Just in the kitchen alone, I think I could have met my goal two or three times! The cupboards were filled with packaged foods that expired three or more years ago, and there was lots of other junk that was just plain trash too. : Honestly, it was nice to see that someone was a bigger pack rat than me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junonia View Post
As for E-bay, the progress I have made is reading up here on it. I have learned a lot. One person said that E-bay is only worth it if she is expecting a $10 or more profit. That's an important thing for me to note. That eliminates a lot of things. Also I was reminded of the importance of photos. I do not currently have a functional digital camera, so that may be job #1.

Here's a question for you: I have a lot of nearly new annoying baby toys, the electronic ones that sing songs and flash lights and all that stuff. I kept them up high and only brought them out for emergencies so they are hardly used. I would like to get something back from them. I am gathering that Ebay may not the best market. Do you think consignment shops are worth it? I think that locally you have to do a lot of calling to see when the owner is in and a lot of driving, and I am just a bit stymied on pursuing that. But I am thinking, what the heck else can I do? WWYD?

Given that freecyle requires coordinating with folks, is there a more efficient way to think about freecyling? Like, only offering things that would not be sold in a thrift store (eg., I have a bunch of caffeinated teas, some opened, some not, and I have given up caffeine), only offering things in like-bunches, like toddler stuff, kitchen stuff, etc--and thrifting/tossing the small random stuff?

Yep, those are my basic categories, ebay, consignment, freecycle, thrift, throw-away. I want to make sure I've got the right idea for each category, and I am hoping to really move this stuff soon.
All good points! I think I've decided to hold off yet another month on E-bay. I just have waaaay too much other stuff going on, and trying to set up all the auctions and figure out shipping, etc., is just going to be overwhelming for me this month, I think. I have been thinking about what's actually going to make a profit though, so I'm going to thin my pile this week, and take things out for the garage sale.

I haven't really worked with consignment shops, so I have no advice there. Our local second-hand/gently-used mom and baby shop pays store credit immediately for everything they want to buy from you. I'm so proud of myself that I've had $25 there for three months, and I have yet to go spend it!

You don't always have to do too much coordinating with Freecycle. If it's something that can sit outside and you won't worry about it getting swiped, you just get a general time from them (ie. Friday morning or afternoon), and just set it out, so they can p/u whenever in that time frame. I do a little more coordinating, personally, when it's something of a little more value, like an electronic item. Some people that I p/u from are nazis though about what time you're coming; I mean, you could be picking up a toothbrush, and they want to know the exact second that you're going to be there. No, I've never picked up a toothbrush on Freecycle, it was just the most extreme thing I could think of.

I also do Craigslist, which is way hit and miss most of the time, for me anyway. I think people really have to be looking for what you're selling. I have something posted there right now, and I've gotten two replies on it, but no takers.

Quote:
Progress: I have called three consignment shops and have placed two posts on freecycle. It took so much for me to take those steps, not sure why, but moving forward.
Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
From what I've heard, freecycle was not meant to replace thrift stores and charities anyway. I use freecyle like you said - things that can't be sold in a thrift store. Like the broken VCR I gave away (the video worked but not the DVD) or half used shampoo bottles, etc.
I give away good, working stuff on Freecycle too, and have received some really great working stuff. I got a brand-new, never been used pasta maker a few months ago. Whether or not I have used it, well that's another story...

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#62 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmmm...

I never joined. Because if it's a "task", I immediately hate it. I'm just on a weird decluttering mode all of a sudden. Our apartment is small, and poorly designed, and has very little storage.

Last night, I decided to clear off the counters...well, that meant cleaning out under the sink, organizing all the pots and pans, cleaning out the dishes/glasses, cleaning out OVER the fridge, on tops of the cabinets, etc. I ended up tossing out about a dozen old bowls, mugs, cookware, and glasses (really on their last gasps)....and a garbage bag full of...plastic bags.... I guess I had more than I realized under the sink....

And it's snowballing now...I did the bathroom, the hall closet, the bedroom (!), and the living room closet. Really, the only things "cluttered" right now, are the "open" areas....which sort of defeats the purpose of a "non-cluttered home", but for me, it's easier to do the closets first. Once I de-clutter, I like to keep it that way, so I won't shove stuff in the closets...I have to find the place for it. So, my living room, dining room, and the baby's room are still cluttered. Up the wazoo.

I've got five bags of clothes, towels, blankets, miscellany in the trunk of my car right now to go to Goodwill. I also ended up throwing out a bag's worth of last-leg stuff...I've had some annoying experiences with freecycle, so, honestly, things get trashed or Goodwilled, or put in a pile for someone I personally know, or, there's this one lady around here from freecycle who's VERY prompt, so, I'll ask her if I think there's something she might be interested in.

I have at LEAST a 5-drawer chest/dresser's worth of clothing in my car...which is crazy, b/c I just went through our dressers about a month ago...just not thoroughly, I guess ...Our chest of drawers is a serious safety hazard. We bought it a few years ago when we had no furniture, just to have something to put clothes in...it's a piece of craps...all the drawers except the top one are completely smashed, loose nails, jagged edges, etc.

The dresser is now sitting at the garbage dump. Yes, I did it alone, with a 12 month old. Down a flight of steps, across the parking lot, and GOOD riddance. So, obviously, I had to somehow get rid of enough clothing that I could fit it in our closet and dresser...not easy with a husband in the miltary, and his 27 different uniforms.

Not exagerating in the least...I've got at least 150 items in the car or garbage from the past 12 hours (I started this frenzy at midnight last night...). We had FIVE nail clippers (not counting the baby's). HUH???? FIVE???? : I kept a big one and a little one and trashed the rest...that sort of stuff...It's craziness!
#63 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 03:04 PM

I've had a very productive morning, courtesy of large amount of caffeine I worked on the soon to be office that was ds1's old room, as well as the current desk and a bookshelf in our bedroom that has to go because of the new cabinet that is coming over tonight I counted items in the new office, but gave up when I got to the desk and bookshelf because there was so much on them : So, I am going to count 1 hour of time as 1 point, each task done as 1 point, and each bag of trash as a point for those. If I had actually counted items, I would be at least 5x over my goal : So today's tally:

2 hours organizing and separating tons of papers from my desk that are now ready to go into folders as soon as I get the new office, that already has file cabinet space for them, done
1 desk completely cleared
1 large shelf completely cleared
1 large bag of trash
17 pieces of small toys, broken bouncy balls, etc. from ds1's old room gone

Biggest score of the day--finding a $91 check that could be deposited that dh forgot he set down ont eh desk and got covered with other stuff! Woohoo!

So my grand total so far is: 148/300!!
#64 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM

Does anyone ever find that decluttering goes better in your mind than in real life? We just moved, so most of my clothes were packed up in a couple of trunks. Before I opened them and dug in, I could think of all these things that I wanted to get rid of. But when I actually got into it and tried some of the stuff on, I decided to keep a bunch of stuff! Today I'm actually wearing a skirt that I was going to send to the thrift store!

So I bagged up 7 articles of clothing for charity. And kept a bunch more. : My closet is getting more and more crowded.

Oh well, baby steps!

New total: 20/100

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#65 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks so much ShannonCC and Rikki Jean for your feedback. And a couple others but I'm pouring sweat here at the computer so I'm not going to go back for names, but thank you!!

I have received a couple freecycle responses and it cheers me to think that someone would find this stuff valuable. I even went back to look for more stuff. Thinking that someone would be *glad* to have something makes it easier to part with stuff I don't really need.

And yes, I think I would be very happy if this one consignment shop in particular were willing to give me store credit. So I should probably start with her.
#66 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM

We had our garage sale last Sunday and it was awesome! I sold my crappy car, toys and a lot of books. We did so well, that we are doing it again this weekend. I even have a ton more items to add to the sale.

I didn't count how many items went, but it was a bunch. So 1000/2007!

Whoo Hoo!!!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#67 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM

30 more today!

Still attacking the big three clutter traps in our house (storage closet, coat closet & canning closet...sensing a pattern here. )

152/300

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#68 of 137 Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 PM

I've done it to myself now - I called a charity and scheduled a pick up. They come to my area on July 25th, so I have 12 days to *seriously* declutter. I know I won't have much energy for the next time they come (I'll be 9 months pg) - so it has to be now!

I hope I have the guts to be truly radical - because I am SO sick of dealing with *stuff* and moving *stuff* and nagging my kids about their *stuff* and my *stuff*. And we don't even have THAT much! LOL We just have a relatively small, poorly laid out house with little storage space ...and soon to be 7 people living here.

Hoping some energy from my prenatals kicks in soon.

Amy
Mom of 5 under 13
#69 of 137 Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 AM

I am doing the no-spending for July so these two go hand in hand. I have a tendancy to drop things off at the thrift store and end up walking out with a full bag anyway.
I didn't get a chance to read all the threads yet but from what I did read I am inspired.
I just took several trash bags to the thrift store lately but I am working on a pile for a yard sale.
My goal is to collect at least 100 things. Some big like strollers and walkers etc and get rid of them.
My second goal is to try not to bring in any more junk for the month. I've been doing this anyway this month with the no spending challenge.
#70 of 137 Old 07-14-2007, 12:45 PM

The garage, as money allows. No set # of items, I doubt I'll get rid of much as it's all tools and gardening and stuff like that, but it's literally all stacked up in a "Cat in the Hat" type pile to the roof (thank you SO MUCH dh! But he was trying to help ). I need to buy shelving to put it all on. It's going to be a PITA, but I gotta get it done.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#71 of 137 Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktosea View Post
My second goal is to try not to bring in any more junk for the month. I've been doing this anyway this month with the no spending challenge.
Amen, sister! That is my problem, too. Seems like I often bring home two things for every one thing that leaves the house! Just yesterday DH and I placed a moratorium on the purchase of new tee shirts. We might expand that to other things as we see where we have too much stuff.

#72 of 137 Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 AM

OK...today after DH put the baby to bed (and fell asleep himself ) I've moved on to more decluttering.

Went through three (small) jewelry boxes...now down to one, and it's all untangled. I might be able to WEAR some of the stuff now.

Decluttered endtable we use as a catch-all desk in the dining room.

Cleaned out/condensed/pruned the two *tiny* silverware/cooking utensils drawers into one...Converted one to "miscellany" drawer - random things I need on a daily basis but I can't leave out with the baby or find a good place for (note pads, scissors, stapler, swiss army knife, etc....).

Decluttered coffee table drawer (now empty!), and two decorative boxes One now holds DH's small uniform components, one has writing implements.

Decluttered mini tool box...All the items are now sorted, pruned, organized, and in their new homes.

Decluttered "storage/organization tray". It now has only mailing-related stuff....labels, envelopes, etc.

Decluttered/pruned file box (a big old cardboard box). I think I can get rid of my marriage certificate from my last marriage. Need to consult DH on some military papers.

Tossed other miscellany/decorative items as I found them...I now have another bag of household stuff to drop at Goodwill. And that's not including about a half bag of stuff that was just trashed.

Also, found THREE MORE FREAKIN NAIL CLIPPERS. I think my husband has some weird compulsion. They were all tossed unceremoniously.

I did realize I should find a file box and/or a desk - the end table needs to go...I got it off the side of the road, and, well, it's seen better days, and it's not working for me anymroe. If I can find a nice "secretary" type desk, that would probably eliminate more clutter, as I'd have a central location for mailing/writing/filing/miscellany.

All that really remains (I think!) is part of the entertainment center, the computer stand, the baby's room/toys, and a couple of large tupperware containers (they have my husband's stuff, and I need his input)...But I will still be on the lookout for hidden clutter.

I'm up to 7.5 bags between Goodwill and trash, and a large chest of drawers....
#73 of 137 Old 07-15-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

11 toys/toy parts, in the trash. Trust me, they weren't anything I would have given to anyone else, and they needed to be trashed!

12/500

Six days until my big garage sale!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#74 of 137 Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 PM

Starting late......but I am in.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#75 of 137 Old 07-15-2007, 11:38 PM

22. Not getting very far huh?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#76 of 137 Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 AM

Okay, so I forgot about this thread and I started a personal one for myself, but I will post here as well. Today I started on my 2007 goal for the end of the year! Here is what I have completed so far

Bathroom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is what I have tossed in the last hour and a half that I have started to declutter:

19 decorative bobby pins
15 pieces of jewlery
24 bath fizes
5 disposable nursing pads
29 tampons
5 pads
14 light pads
17 panty liners
7 bath lotions and gels
shower cap
3 jewlery store boxes
1 and a half packages of makeup wedges
acrylic nail gel and powder
25 makup items
maniacure set
4 active rubber bands
2 toe nail seperators
eyelash curler
Nailpolish
2 hair brushes

Items taken out of house= 172 Items!
Tossed- 78 items!

Total amount out of house= 250 Items

Along with decluttering my house I am removing as many plastic items and products with parabins in them.

Daughters Room

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so after the bathroom I did my daughters room. Boy is this a challenge. We are planning on having another child so we are keeping all of her old clothing just in case we have another little girl, so I can't get rid of alot of stuff. I am however getting rid of the majority of her baby toys because they are plastic and I am changing to wood and organic cottons dolls and such.

So I got rid of:

Items to give away/sell= 119 items
Throw away= 55 items

Total Amount of Items Decluttered to Date= 424 Items!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#77 of 137 Old 07-16-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
The garage, as money allows. No set # of items, I doubt I'll get rid of much as it's all tools and gardening and stuff like that, but it's literally all stacked up in a "Cat in the Hat" type pile to the roof (thank you SO MUCH dh! But he was trying to help ). I need to buy shelving to put it all on. It's going to be a PITA, but I gotta get it done.
Love the "Cat in the Hat" visual. That's how my dh organizes his stuff. Luckily, he's not a packrat and doesn't have a bunch of stuff, except books.

I get to face my garage tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can't blame dh for that. Before I married him he thought garages were for parking cars. Ha ha. We haven't been able to park a car in there for five years.
#78 of 137 Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
That's really hard. Pace yourself. Any progress with a lively baby is great progress. Give yourself a pat on the back.
Thanks! That really made my day.

I decluttered my pantry on Friday-- Hooray! I got rid of food we will never eat or is stale and about 15 (I'm not kidding) cereal boxes that were almost empty. I couldn't face our guests asking me this weekend if we had cereal and when I replied no, looking at my pantry and me having to tell them that all of the boxes were months and months old. A possible shaming is great motivator!

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#79 of 137 Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM

I found stuff to wash and give away, and a new diaper bag that I want to start getting things to put in it so it can be a baby gift (I have a friend who just found out she is pg with their second)

I even threw out my bouquet from my wedding.

I didn't realize how much stuff I have that no one could want.
#80 of 137 Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM

Well, I got one wall of the garage cleared. This included an old mouse nest. I'd been feeding it in style with a package of old bird food. Now most of the stuff I don't know what to do with is out in the middle of the garage. I'll let it sit there a few days while I figure out if there is a way I can make some sort of contraption to hold my large scrap lumber out of the scrap lumber that I have left over from various projects. I have some very odd shaped pieces of plywood (triangular and the outside edges of ovals). Maybe having it sit out where I can see it instead of buried and hiding mice nests will spark some creative ideas.
#81 of 137 Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Decluttered two boxes of "miscellany"- full of little things like thumbtacks, bobby pins, nails, and coins.

Recycled a ton of receipts from an old box of them, most from baby shower items we received two Februarys ago.

My garage is full to the BRIM. I can't wait for our garage sale next week!

I feel like things are going slow- I've only gotten rid of 24 items. But next week there will be so much less, and what does not sell is going to consignment or a donation site.
#82 of 137 Old 07-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Went through my clothes today - now have one big black garbage bag full of things to donate. This weekend was the "kids' book" decluttering, and unfortunately I wasn't as ruthless as I would have liked, but I did find a few graocery bags full to donate. I have trouble getting rid of books since we homeschool. *My* books are next, and another pass through the kids clothes.

Amy
Mom of 5 under 13
#83 of 137 Old 07-17-2007, 06:00 PM

I've been getting rid of things by freecycle, and tomorrow I take a collection in to the consignment shop (crossing my fingers). I am just so pleased to be making progress.
#84 of 137 Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyable View Post
This weekend was the "kids' book" decluttering, and unfortunately I wasn't as ruthless as I would have liked, but I did find a few graocery bags full to donate. I have trouble getting rid of books since we homeschool.
Yes, this is a hard one! I hate to get rid of any that could be of value to them. But we have more than we can handle, way more. What to do?
#85 of 137 Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 AM

28/100. Slowly but surely!
And I think that I should be able to count cleaning out my fridge, lol.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#86 of 137 Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

I just counted my current garage sale pile, and it's 66. I'd like it to be more like 200, but I don't think I'm going to get that much collected by Friday night (the garage sale is Saturday). Anyway, it's a start!

88/500

I'm hoping to start packing for our move on Sunday, when I'll be doing lots and lots of purging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
And I think that I should be able to count cleaning out my fridge, lol.
Go for it! I count the fridge stuff sometimes!

#87 of 137 Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
I just counted my current garage sale pile, and it's 66. I'd like it to be more like 200, but I don't think I'm going to get that much collected by Friday night (the garage sale is Saturday). Anyway, it's a start!
We're having a garage sale too. Sending good profit vibes your way.
#88 of 137 Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM

I tried to target a few projects this month instead of just counting things and it's just not working for me. I have a hard time committing to a big project! Well, to be fair, I have a hard time finding time for such, but I can grab 10 or 20 things to toss/donate in a matter of minutes. So--no update from me. I'm still getting rid of things, not counting, and not touching my project zones. oops
#89 of 137 Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM

SO far so good! I've taken out 1 van load! Threw away 7 bags of garbage! (Big ones too not just kitchen bags!) It feels soooooooooo good! The garage is getting cleaned out so well! I took before pictures! I have to load them onto photobucket to share. (My mother thinks I'm nuts for showing these pictures to the public but I feel really good about it!) It helps alot to put these things out there and to know that other people are the same way! And we're all trying to make things better! Well off to post pictures! Erin!
#90 of 137 Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Congratulations to all those who are doing so well! And good luck with the garage sales.

I'm up to 15/100, still not so hot. Hopefully I can get myself in gear for the rest of the month!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page