July Decluttering Challenge! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 137 Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I freecycled 9 things today, so I'm up to 25/100!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#122 of 137 Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM

As usual, I started off the month with a bang, but then got behind on my progress I made a little more progress in the great room swap, but just rearranging at this point, nothing gone. I will count them when it is done, though since they will be massively arranged and put away then :

New items to count:

8 half boxes of playing cards thrown out--we had pilfered the decks to make pinochle decks, and I saved them for some reason :

1 cleaned out purse--I should have counted individual items and receipts, I would probably be over my goal for the month

1 massive paperwork project--ds2's application for certificate of citizenship is off in teh mial, along iwth copies of every supporting document they could possibly need; I only put it off for a year, but the fees doubled on Monday if I didn't get it in before then

So new total is 158/300. I expect to make good progress this weekend on my bedroom; I have a new bed coming in a week or so, and I have to rearrange furniture to make it fit, so I might as well declutter as I go. Still working on switching the rooms and getting my new office in order. Slow and steady wins the race, right?!?
#123 of 137 Old 07-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
Instead of just giving away your books, you can post them on www.paperbackswap.com, and when people request them, you mail them away. Then you get a point for a new book that you can save for when you need a book to supplement your homeschooling.
I signed up for PBS- it's awesome! I've already mailed out 25 books! I don't want much in return (the goal is to de-clutter, right?), but the credits will be there when/if we need them. I'm just happy the books are going to people who will use them and not the landfill. Kind of funny, but a ton of my old college books (critical essays, non-fiction on very specific topics) are going, but not my more popular fiction. Who would have thought there was big market on books about Mexican immigration and identity in Los Angeles from 1900-1945?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody11 View Post
- Clean out the guest room- donate, free-cycle, sell used clothes, books, baby stuff
- Clean out the den- shred or organize bills and papers
- Purge clothes post-baby that will never fit again
- Clean basement (this is stuff that I never unpacked from my move 4 years ago)
- Organize basement with shelving and storage
- Sell newborn diapers
- Organize DDs clothes and get them in her dresser and out of her crib
- Purge old magazines
- Clean out the linen closet- donate old blankets and sheets
- Clean out pantry and organize by shelf
- Organize bathroom closet, toss old meds and beauty products
- Declutter kitchen of appliances never used anymore
OK, my July update--

1) I cleaned my guest room-- still need to get rid of more books and go through the closet.

2) Cleaned out my pantry-- only food we will eat is left.

3) Sold all my newborn dipes-- and made enough for a BabyHawk!!-- still waiting for a MO and then I can send out my last seven dipes. That frees up two shelves in DDs room.

4) Packed up all of DDs outgrown clothes to save for next baby. I need to revisit this-- I was not ruthless enough. I packed up clothes I don't like, that were gifts and she has never worn (and that I would not dress a subsequent DD in). I will go back and get rid of these. The local birth education center is having a fundraiser on Aug 4. I think I will donate all the stuff I don't want to them.

Not bad for someone whose DD never sleeps-- . I was in the basement last night and, oh my, that project scares me. However, I will soilder on! I think the linen closet is next...

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#124 of 137 Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 PM

I think I did really well!! I got rid of so much crap that I had! Mostly to the woman who is opening a 2nd hand store in the Spring. A few things went to freecycle and into swaps for friends.

I still have to go through one closet and gather some stuff,but I'm going to try and sell that. So we will see how that goes.

My spare room/area looks so much better now!
#125 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 AM

I am WAY over 100 now, since I moved this weekend. I didn't count yesterday, or today really, but just in the last hour I've tossed 9 things. I think I'm going to have next month's goal be higher as I am settling in to the new place.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#126 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 03:21 AM
Fay

I just freecycled over 50 items -- magazines, clothes, baby furniture. And last week I cleaned out my purse, which I've been meaning to do for months!

I still have a lot of "mental clutter" -- thank you notes to write, errands to run, paperwork to organize, etc.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#127 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody11 View Post
4) Packed up all of DDs outgrown clothes to save for next baby. I need to revisit this-- I was not ruthless enough. I packed up clothes I don't like, that were gifts and she has never worn (and that I would not dress a subsequent DD in). I will go back and get rid of these. The local birth education center is having a fundraiser on Aug 4. I think I will donate all the stuff I don't want to them.
I went back and got tough. A bunch of newborn stuff DD never wore and a that I never liked got tossed. It's going to the birth center this week. I am down to one shopping bag of saved clothes and three to get rid of. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
I still have a lot of "mental clutter" -- thank you notes to write, errands to run, paperwork to organize, etc.
I like the way you put this...I have "mental clutter" as well. I think mostly because with a child their never seems to be enough time in the day to get everything done. I would like to start doing one thing per day, even if it's writing one thank you note, just to start whittling this list down.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#128 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We've decluttered so much stuff this month! And dh has even gotten somewhat on-board about decluttering, which is amazing. I have several boxes/bags ready to be picked up by a charity this week, and we've Freecycled some things, put some things in recycling, and thrown some things out. Dh is even working on cleaning up the garage!

I had a gorgeous antique rocking chair that I should have loved, but didn't. It had emotional baggage for me (long story.) So I Freecycled it. The man who picked it up gave it to his wife for their anniversary. So, hopefully they will love it!!

And I received $78 in credit from a local bookstore for selling them some books.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#129 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junonia View Post
ETA: When I offered the blanket on freecycle I described the moth holes, and the responder said she would patch them. I didn't want to leave the impression I had not mentioned the holes! I am just delighted that freecycle allows me to find people like that.
I love Freecycle, too. The other day I Freecycled a roll of 13-gallon garbage bags (left over from when we had a diaper pail.) Prior to Freecycle, I would have just tossed them.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#130 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM

Grrr. my post just got eaten : I made good progress this weekend.

5 piles from my bedroom gone through, and put away or thrown away
1 large bag of trash collected in my room
1 pair of baby shoes returned to a friend who left them
4 baskets of clothes folded and put away : that have been clean for weeks
1 large pile of clothes that were set aside to be hung up that have also been clean and set aside for weeks
1 back porch cleaned off and completely usable for cooking out/company
2 bags of old potting soil (with too many sticks to use) dumped on the lawn and bags thrown away
1 broken flower pot thrown away
3 tubs of camping stuff moved to the shed
4 bags of stuff taken to neighbor's house (we have been collecting their mail while out of town and also cleaned out a car that they sold while gone)

So my total so far is now: 181/300! And I have more planned to do during naptime...
#131 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=bdoody11;8743839]I signed up for PBS- it's awesome! I've already mailed out 25 books! I don't want much in return (the goal is to de-clutter, right?), but the credits will be there when/if we need them. I'm just happy the books are going to people who will use them and not the landfill. Kind of funny, but a ton of my old college books (critical essays, non-fiction on very specific topics) are going, but not my more popular fiction. Who would have thought there was big market on books about Mexican immigration and identity in Los Angeles from 1900-1945?

Isn't it awesome? You could also use those credits for little christmas gifts, or your kids friends birthday gifts. I love PBS!

Well, I've been a total slacker, and today I am finally sitting here touching my *gulp* kitchen junk drawer; I'm half way through my first one... maybe I can get all three done by weds!!! I hope! Root me on, mamas!!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#132 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 02:03 PM

I've been decluttering since January in spurts but not counting actually items. I seem to do a massive purge about once a month, and it seems to be working well for us. I think once I get the large amount of stuff out of the house, I'll feel like I can do small decluttering to maintain. This week I've done another one:

2 large black garbage bags of clothes from the boys' room
packed up one large rubbermaid of clothes from older boy to younger boy
1 tall dresser - gone
3 garbage bags of clothes from daughter's room
1 sm bag hand me downs to SIL
1 paperbag of recycling from daughter's room
1 sm garbage can full of garbage from daughter's room
1 large wood shoe rack
4 cushions for kitchen chairs
3 large boxes of toys
1 large garbage bag of junk from garage
#133 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM

I freecycled 30 kids books, 15 videos, a box of coffee filters & an box of tea. I'm up to 47, I still have a list of stuff on Freecycle that I'm waiting on. I'm in decluter mode! It feels so good!
#134 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Yay! Over the weekend DH & I cleaned out 2 closets, got rid of an old fish tank, organized all the books on the bookshelves & thoroughly cleaned the living room. It almost looks too organized - I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."
taken from The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

check out my children's room in the library:  Hampton Bays Public Library Children's Room  http://hbaychildroom.blogspot.com/ 

#135 of 137 Old 07-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Ok, woot!!! I just decluttered all 6 of my kitchen drawers!!! Its nice to have all the tools that wound up in there back in the toolbox where they belong!!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#136 of 137 Old 08-02-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
So, the addition I made to the gs pile was 53 more things, so that brings me to 222/500. Whoohoo!
Well, this is as far as I got. Actually, I didn't really fall off the horse. I just got really overwhelmed with everything that we've been doing in the house that we're moving into. We're moving next weekend, and I've been so busy over there, that I haven't packed one thing from our apartment! :

Anyway, I'm not going to beat myself up about this, because I had misjudged the amount of work there was to do over there, so I couldn't have known. I'm off to see if anyone has started an August thread, and I'll start over fresh for the month!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#137 of 137 Old 08-04-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
Well, I've been a total slacker, and today I am finally sitting here touching my *gulp* kitchen junk drawer; I'm half way through my first one... maybe I can get all three done by weds!!! I hope! Root me on, mamas!!
I'm rooting for you if you're rooting for me! I had to pack my entire junk drawer and bring it to the new house untouched because I ran out of time, so I am doubly guilty!

Well, I promised myself that for July I would move without any extra stuff I don't want. I think I pretty much met that goal. There are some things I'd like to have gotten rid of but kept because A) It's what we must make do with for the moment, or B) My DF wanted it and wouldn't let it go. : He has insisted on keeping a closet full of clothes that don't fit, sizes too big AND too small. The small ones- "I'm trying to lose weight," and the big ones- "When I gained weight before, I had nothing to wear, so I'm not going to let myself get in that situation again and have to buy new clothes for the 3rd time." At least we have enough room on the floor of our closets to store it in boxes.

So my goal for August is not so much decluttering, but unpacking, arranging, and organizing. Wish me luck!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page