July Decluttering Challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Welcome to the JULY decluttering challenge!!
If you participated in last month's challenge, feel free to share your accomplishments & what you'd like to do differently this month, if anything.
Post your goal- whether it is number of items gone, number of bags, rooms, whatever works for you

Are there items that haven't been used in a long time, are just taking up too much space, or have been outgrown? Time to get those outta there!
Be sure to post your progress as you work towards your goal- it's inspiring to see how far you've come in your effort towards a more simplified home!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#2 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

My goal for this month is 500 items. I have successfully decluttered around 300 items a few months in a row, but this month we are getting ready to move, so I am going to be in major purging mode! Nesting helps with that!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#3 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got rid of a TON of stuff, so I'm going to go with 300 this month.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#4 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Hi Rikki Jean, thanks for starting this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Welcome to the MAY decluttering challenge!!
However I must issue you a cut and paste speeding ticket!

Hmmm. I have never had success with decluttering goals of numbers, like the FlyLady's 27-fling boogie. It hasn't worked well in my mind somehow. But what the heck, I'll say 300 and really try to make it work.

My house appears pretty de-cluttered, which is pleasant, but I have clutter that I've put into categories like freecycle/goodwill and try-to-sell (these are stashed in attic/closet but I would rather move them on out, rather than store them). I have never made offers on freecyle and I've never tried to sell used toys/CD's, etc. I am wondering if the mamas on this thread would be a resource for helping me overcome my blocks/ challenges in these endeavors? I want my stuff to end up finding a good home (freecycle) and also (in terms of selling) to see the monetarily remunerative(sp?) side of decluttering.

And then there's the hidden clutter, the closets that I overhaul, then shove stuff in blindly, then overhaul, etc: what I wish is that I would make them *usable* you know, so it's more functional. I want to somehow break that cycle....

And then there's my dd's room.

I have been paring down things as I've been going through this major transition in my life, and I'm hopeful.
#5 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
My goal for this month is 500 items. I have successfully decluttered around 300 items a few months in a row, but this month we are getting ready to move, so I am going to be in major purging mode! Nesting helps with that!
Wow, Rikki Jean, 300 for a few months in a row?! That's fantastic! You must feel so much lighter, and so inspired.

How have your challenges evolved as you've moved down through the layers?

And yes, nesting is GREAT for decluttering! Give that nest lots of peace and breathing room.
#6 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 PM

Oh good--someone finally started July's! I felt funny, too, strting it, so glad that you did Thanks! Well, I didn't technically meet June's goal, but I started counting differently after I declared my goal, and that had a lot to do with it. This month, I think I'll set my goal to 300. A little lower, but we have a couple of weeks of camp this month, and so lots of running around:

So far, I am off to a good start:

34 random toy pieces and junk gone from ds1's room as we continue moving him upstairs
10 items from out of the fridge
1 major paperwork project finished and faxed--insurance paperwork and supporting documentation from my car accident in April--Woohoo, $$$ coming back to me!!! (and going towards billsbut at least I get to see it )
8 items sold on the trading post and mailed (and I mailed the two items that I sold at the end of June, too) So far my total for July is: 53/300!!! If I get close, I will revise upwards:
#7 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 09:06 PM

I didn't "officially" join last month's challenge, although I did declutter a lot. This month, I don't have a # goal, but more of a group of different areas to declutter: girls' clothes, my closet, rearranging/purging homeschooling bookshelves, etc. My "goal" is do be DONE with all that by the end of July, because I'll be almost 9 months pg in August and just want to be DONE!

I'm making some good progress, but I'm so tired all the time it is hard. We have to make some room in our small-ish house for the new baby though!

Amy
Mom of 5 under 13
#8 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 PM

I'm just going to continue with my year long goal of 2007 items. So far I'm at around 950 give or take.

I hope we are able to have our garage sale this sunday but it depends if DH has to work or not.

So far I have a few areas decluttered. My room, DS room and both bathrooms. So this month I am concentrating on the kitchen/dining area and the living room. I will probably make another quick round through the decluttered rooms.

I am having week long guests in august so I better get my butt in gear!!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#9 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junonia View Post
However I must issue you a cut and paste speeding ticket!
Oh, wow, I sure am a dork! It's fixed now!

Quote:
Wow, Rikki Jean, 300 for a few months in a row?! That's fantastic! You must feel so much lighter, and so inspired.

How have your challenges evolved as you've moved down through the layers?

And yes, nesting is GREAT for decluttering! Give that nest lots of peace and breathing room.
Well, we have A LOT of junk. Even after getting rid of all of that stuff, there is still soooo much more, which is why I'm going for 500 this month, and I'm really hoping that I purge so much that I go waaay over! I'm a pack rat, and am trying desperately to drop the habit. Just throwing things away seems to be the only way to do it! I'm pretty good about Freecycling too. Unfortunately, my e-bay pile has been doing just that...piling...for about three years now. I'm going to have to get it all out this month! :

I'm looking back into the other months I've participated to see what my actual totals were. Let's see here...

November was my first month. I waaaaay overestimated myself, and made a goal of 500. I hit 43. Still though, I was getting rid of things.

I didn't try again until February, as I had been intimidated by my November results. I decided on a smaller goal, which was a great decision. I was also doing the February Kitchen Challenge, so when I went through my cabinets and decided to Freecycle a ton of Tupperware and some other things, I made good progress. I had only decided on a goal of 19 bags of various things, and my final goal was 5/19. Not too impressive, but a good start, considering my history.

March was great. I was doing the March Bedroom Challenge, which was a huge project for me, but it forced me to get rid of tons and tons of stuff, and it felt soooooo good. I was very early in pg, and I was nesting sooooo badly on the very last day of the month, so that was way helpful! I ended up with a total of 129/82, but I was counting "bags of stuff" as just one item, and there were nine bags given or thrown away, so I'm sure that I hit 300, atleast.

In April, I hit 250/300, but my orignial goal was 300. I had some carryover "get rid of" stuff from the March Bedroom Challenge, and I got rid of a lot of that by giving it to our church rummage sale. I also was able to sell some things to a vintage store and a second-hand baby store, and I gave some old clothes to my sister.

In May I hit 298/250. Some of that was old yucky stuff from the fridge (like 20 things), but I decided that it counted. A good amount was junk from under the bathroom sink. There were a lot of really old toiletries (most of which were never even opened; DH's grandma still gives us all "stockings" at Christmas, and they are filled with deodorant, soaps, and stuff like generic IB profen. We don't use most of it as we stick to natural stuff and she puts in whatever she can get at the dollar store! ), and it was soooo good to get those out. I'm not sure why some of that stuff had been sitting there for the last two or three years, just taking up space...

As far as the challenges evolving, it's been interesting. The first time I did this, I looked around and thought, "How in the world is this going to work?" It was really hard to throw things away or give them away, just because everything seemed to have an emotion attached to it. As time has passed though, it's gotten a lot easier.

Probably the hardest thing I've let go of was a bunch of shoes in the bedroom challenge. Most of them were unwearable, because they were so worn out, but they had very strong emotions attached to them, and lots of memories. In the beginning of the month, I asked for suggestions on what to do to preserve their memory, and I just let them sit in a bag for a few weeks. I had plans to turn a few of them into pots for plants, or make some kind of artwork with the sole prints. However, by that last day (the crazy nesting day ), I had made up my mind to just throw them away. So, at the 11th hour (seriously, it was like 11pm! ) I took a few pictures, and asked DH to please take them to the dumpster. I felt fantastic!

Anyway, my biggest challenge now is going to be getting through the mounds of papers. I've planned to attack them in the previous months, but I have just been too busy tackling the things that are easier to just pitch, kwim? I'm definitely a paper collector, and it haunts me, as I can never find anything easily because even though I collect, I'm very bad at filing and organizing. So, I think that's my biggest challenge right now.

Okay, sorry for writing a novel. Decluttering is obviously a big deal in my life!

#10 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 PM

I'm in. I've been counting all month. I'm a decluttering geek. I'd like to get rid of 300 items this month.

So far...
63/300

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#11 of 137 Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Didn't reach my June goal of 100, but I didn't count each and every item either. This month I'm not sure of a number goal, but I do have a behavior goal:

When packing for our move (toward the end of this month), I will not put in a box ANYTHING I am not CERTAIN that I want to keep.

So far I have 3 boxes/laundry baskets of stuff that is going into a garage sale. I'm adding more daily.
#12 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 01:43 AM

My goal for June was 100 or 150--I've forgotten : ! And I don't know if I succeeded or not because by the end of the month we were moving and things became rather chaotic. This month, in the unpacking, I keep finding things and wondering why I packed them, since I haven't used them in living memory.

So for July, I'm going for another 100. I've been looking at my closet, and I have too many clothes that I don't wear. Time to get rid of some more!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#13 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
Didn't reach my June goal of 100, but I didn't count each and every item either. This month I'm not sure of a number goal, but I do have a behavior goal:

When packing for our move (toward the end of this month), I will not put in a box ANYTHING I am not CERTAIN that I want to keep.

So far I have 3 boxes/laundry baskets of stuff that is going into a garage sale. I'm adding more daily.
I need to do this. I moved last month and am moving again in August (not happy with this place I'm in now). So, my goal is
100 items.
I have been here for a month and am actually thinking that the many things I have not unpacked might be great freecycle candidates.

Oh, and if I manage to get rid of my changing table that i have not use ONCE since moving I'm counting it as 10 things, due to space, lol. I'm attached to it for some weird reason.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#14 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM

This is my first decluttering challenge. My house is pretty much decluttered already (I throw away everything that's not bolted down!), but I do have a couple of goals for this month:

1. List all the items I have waiting for the Trading Post
2. Clean out kitchen junk drawers and keep them that way!
3. Organize my pots, pans & mixing bowls differently in my kitchen cabinets.

I think that's it for now!
#15 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 AM

I'lll join!! My house looks decluttered but I know there is more I can do. I wasn't in last month's challenge but I sold TONS at a garage sale and donated the rest. At least hundreds of items.

Now I have two big garbage bags for Goodwill....

I'll go for 300 this month!
#16 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Last month I joined for the first time and reached my goal of decluttering the bedroom dresser/closet, the hall closet, the bookshelf and mantle.

In honor of me joining my first organic food and raw milk co op, I'm going to work on the kitchen this month.

I want to clear out old unused spices from the spice cabinet, and 3 unorganized junk drawers. Also clear some glasses and kids bowls and things since we have too much.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#17 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Did some more work in the room swap. My allergies are going nuts from the dust, but I got another 34 pieces of broken toys, trash, and half crayons gone. Oh, and also a lava lamp that adly was no longer safe to use--the metal had melted at the top : Didn't know they could do that--I'm glad the house didn't burn down while we were using it!

So my new total is 88/300!
#18 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 01:56 PM

Rikki Jean, thanks for sharing your journey with us. You have processed a lot of emotions as well as stuff! Way to go.

Quote:
Unfortunately, my e-bay pile has been doing just that...piling...for about three years now. I'm going to have to get it all out this month! :
Have you done Ebay before? Maybe we can team up and mutually support to get this happening this month. Wouldn't it be great to move that stuff out?
#19 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, I haven't done it before, which is probably why I've been procrastinating so badly. For some reason, I find it quite intimidating... Support would be fantastic!

#20 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Whoops, double post.

#21 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Nope, I haven't done it before, which is probably why I've been procrastinating so badly. For some reason, I find it quite intimidating... Support would be fantastic!
Exactly my situation. It always seems like a GREAT idea...to do very, very soon...just never quite today.

Alright so we've got a support team of two. Let's do it this month, mama, even if we only post one item! That would be a very big deal to me. It's a matter of getting over the hump. Then we can fly out to Hawaii in a couple months on our subsequent earnings! Or maybe not.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to post a New E-Bay-ers support thread seeking the support of experienced mamas? If so would you think this forum or frugality or...? I'm fairly new to MDC so I don't know all of the mini-communities.
#22 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Exactly my situation. It always seems like a GREAT idea...to do very, very soon...just never quite today.

Alright so we've got a support team of two. Let's do it this month, mama, even if we only post one item! That would be a very big deal to me. It's a matter of getting over the hump. Then we can fly out to Hawaii in a couple months on our subsequent earnings! Or maybe not.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to post a New E-Bay-ers support thread seeking the support of experienced mamas? If so would you think this forum or frugality or...? I'm fairly new to MDC so I don't know all of the mini-communities.
I have a few things I'd like to get rid of on Ebay. I just have to find my camera. My daughter hid it somewhere.

If you make a thread, I'll definitely post.
#23 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 07:20 PM

Hi all! I'd like to set my goals for July to be to clear both bedrooms and switch them (move our bedroom to ds' room and vice versa). sounds simple enough but those bedrooms might just bury me

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#24 of 137 Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM

Ok I am joining in this month. I just started de-cluttering so my goal is small, I want to
--de-clutter 10 boxes of stuff
--set up guest/sewing room
--organize shed

I really hope I can do this and continue on.
#25 of 137 Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 AM

I'll join in. Maybe having my goals posted here will help me work towards them.

1. Organize the cups and plates cabinet in the kitchen (including donating a bunch we don't ever use)

2. Clean out guest room, since my mom is coming to visit in about a month and the room is currently being used as our "storage shed"

3. Go through kids clothes and donate/give away non-used or too-small items.

4. Take my bag of too-small clothing to a resale shop, then the rest to donate.

5. List a few things on ebay that I think would sell well there.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#26 of 137 Old 07-08-2007, 05:04 PM

May I join in? We are constantly decluttering around our house, but stuff always 'sneaks' in whenever we go visit people...and relatives always seem to have to give DD something to take home, which ends up in the salvation army box !!

So far this month we have decluttered 1 huge box, and 5 bags to salvation army. You all would be proud. Our storage room is so empty now! The only things that on our the shelves are our camping gear, and pictures!

We don't have problems with toys as we pared it down, but I have problems with books that my mother keeps giving me (education type of books)...so mainly my goal is to look through them and out the ones I'll never use! That's my goal to get rid of the books I'm not reading and perhaps to get another 30 things into the salvation army bag.

(A friend of ours lives in a campground in a 30 foot camper. We were there last night and all their belongs are there... there is no way the 3 of our things would fit nicely into a few shelves hehe)
#27 of 137 Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
: Well, I don't have anything worth quite that much, but we can dream!

Quote:
That would be a good idea. Wanna take care of that? I'm thinking maybe Frugality...even though I'm not new here, sometimes I can't figure out where to put things either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabfig View Post
I'll join in. Maybe having my goals posted here will help me work towards them.
It works for me!

#28 of 137 Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM

I've decluttered roughly 500 things a month for 3 or 4 months now. It has made a noticeable difference, but there's still SO MUCH here! This month & next are going to be pretty busy for us, so I think maybe I'll make some project goals instead of numbers. For July, I'd like to:

1) Finally list the FB and other dipes that are waiting to be sold
2) Finish going through the file cabinets
and, if I still have more time (this may have to wait until August)
3) Tackle the laundry room (which also is our spare food pantry)
#29 of 137 Old 07-08-2007, 10:51 PM

I'm in this month for 750 items.

I cleaned my dd's closet today and got rid of 75 items and dh cleared out 100 items out of the basement.

175/750 so far

Last month I didn't participate in the challenge.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#30 of 137 Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM

You people intimidate me, (and inspire me )

Anyway, forget last month. Last month is over. Let's not dwell on last month :

My goal this month is to get my total to date up to 1,000 items by July 25th. Yeah, you people who do 500 or 1,000 in a month amaze me. I'm just trying to get to 1,000 for a year

This weekend I got 68 items out! (yay me ).

So I have 2 weeks and 3 days to get 123 more items out the door. I'm already kicking myself for all the times I didn't feel like itemizing and just counted "one bag of stuff"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page