If you could only own one pair of warm-weather shoes... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm over the $12.99 flip flops and slides that I keep buying at Target. I'm in desperate need of some shoes that I can put on and take off easily, will go with anything (within reason) AND I can walk around all day without wanting to die from foot pain by the end of the day.

I tried Clark's once and they also made my feet hurt. Maybe it was just that particular style, though.

Any recommendations for good quality, comfortable yet attractive shoes?
#2 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 03:30 PM

CROCS! I tell you, they are ugly as sin, IMO, but they are SO comfy. I usually only wear cheapo flip flops but have some Crocs for when I need something not quite so casual. They do run about $30 but are so comfy the price didn't matter to me.....and you can wear them for ANYTHING (beach, gardening, etc.) and give them a little wash.
#3 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 03:43 PM

I'd get 2 pairs of shoes.

1) something you can wear that is a little nicer - exactly what depends upon your needs

2) Crocs Athens. the most comfortable pair of flip flops you will ever own. They list for $30, but I've bought several pair for $21.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#4 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 PM

I live in my Birkenstocks all summer, the basic style with the two straps. Love 'em!
#5 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Crocs Cleo

They look like a normal sandal but they are heavenly! I haven't worn anything else in a month.

My other best pair of sandals are Ecco Receptors.
#6 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Are the Crocs (flip flop style or otherwise) good for lots of walking?
#7 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 PM

My Naot sandals. I live in them for the summer.
#8 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 04:24 PM

If I could only have one pair, it would be a pair of Keens. My Keen Newport H2s are amazing.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#9 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliepepper View Post
Are the Crocs (flip flop style or otherwise) good for lots of walking?
The Cleo's that I have, have been fabulous. The second strap over the instep keeps it from flopping and you don't have to work to keep them on like some shoes. I haven't walked a huge amount but I have no issues when I walk the mall for a couple of hours, and I walked about a mile in them the other night and they were very comfortable.

I googled the Cleo's and found somewhere that shipped them with free shipping.
#10 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Athletic sandals. I bought some Nike athletic sandals back in '99, they cost about $25, and they are in great shape. I bet they last me 15 years.

My Betula (cheaper version of Birks) sandals are close second, but they are not waterproof.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#11 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 PM

I've heard these are heavenly - http://www.havaianasus.com/catalog/default.php
#12 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 PM

http://www.birkenstockusa.com/styles...ge=0&cat=women

i LOVE these -- i don't like traditional (the 2 strap) birks but these are perfect

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#13 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Thanks to a previous clothing thread where Delight mentioned her Chaco sandals, I just ordered these. Good enough for work and everything else, too...black goes with everything for me.

http://www.footlooseandfancy.com/foo...UXLKFUF500439&

lady.gif
#14 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 06:27 PM

I would love a pair of Crocs if I had the money..

My fave summer shoe are my old fashioned Dr. Sholl's with the band across the top of your foot like a slide. The base is wood and over time it molds to your feet like a Birk would and they fit just perfectly.......I just found a NWT pair at the thrift store for $5.....they do take a bit of getting used to but it's worth it in the end...My old pair I've had for the past 8 years (the band is red) and they are formed to my feet so perfect that the only way I can tell they are on is by feeling it slap (gently) against my heel......I also like that they are totally adjustable......I have really wide feet with a highish arch and they fit me fine as well as my sister with narrow flat feet....
#15 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
Thanks to a previous clothing thread where Delight mentioned her Chaco sandals, I just ordered these. Good enough for work and everything else, too...black goes with everything for me.

http://www.footlooseandfancy.com/foo...UXLKFUF500439&
:
I love my Chacos. As long as the weather is warm, that's all I wear on my feet!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#16 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 07:10 PM

Yeah I have to second the Chaco's! I wear them everyday ALL day for long walks and some short hikes. The straps are kinda pretty (and if you get the ones with 3 little straps they're very pretty) and they go well with skirts and slacks and jeans. That said they're like $90 bucks! But they're assembled in Colorado so you know that some poor kid in Indonesia hasn't put them together for 35 cents/day. After a lot of foot, knee and lower back pain I gave up on cheap shoes a few years ago so I have saved up and boought just a few pairs of nice shoes (2 for summer and 2 for winter: 1 dress, 1 everyday) and will wear them until they are dead!

Oh yeah you can get them re-strung with new straps if they wear out instead of buying another pair! (I swear I don't work for them )

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#17 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 08:30 PM

I live in my crocs knockoffs. They are so comfy and they were pretty cheap too. I got them at wal-mart for like $8.
#18 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 PM

I would say that the Crocs are good, but if you want more of a sandal the Teva's are about $20 and last all season...I have a friend who has some and this will be the 3rd summer...very comfy!
#19 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 09:57 PM

I love my mock crocs! I bought them in C.H. Marten for something like 6 bucks! I could walk for miles in them! I once forgot that I had them on and I went to work in them! My boss commented on how he liked the color! They are bright pink! Just wanted to share! Erin!
#20 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 PM

Chacos! I've worn my to a wedding... (In my defense, if any is necessary, it was a few days after a m/c & d&c and I was as swollen as could be and in no mood for being too fancy!) I have them in black and this is my fifth summer in them and they still look great.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#21 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
Yeah I have to second the Chaco's! I wear them everyday ALL day for long walks and some short hikes. The straps are kinda pretty (and if you get the ones with 3 little straps they're very pretty) and they go well with skirts and slacks and jeans. That said they're like $90 bucks! But they're assembled in Colorado so you know that some poor kid in Indonesia hasn't put them together for 35 cents/day. After a lot of foot, knee and lower back pain I gave up on cheap shoes a few years ago so I have saved up and boought just a few pairs of nice shoes (2 for summer and 2 for winter: 1 dress, 1 everyday) and will wear them until they are dead!

Oh yeah you can get them re-strung with new straps if they wear out instead of buying another pair! (I swear I don't work for them )
I'm with you on the bad shoes=pain. My feet, back & legs hurt if I wear cheapo shoes. I sometimes think it would be nice to be able to spend $20 for shoes, but they also don't last long. I've had two pairs of Merrell leather sandals that I've had for 3 & 4 summers. Same style, brown & black. The black ones are on their last legs (have lost their cushion), so it was time to replace them.

Glad to hear the Chaos are assembled in CO.

lady.gif
#22 of 42 Old 07-07-2007, 11:44 PM

I love my Birkenstocks. I wear them all the time. I know the cost is a little higher than flip flops but I think they are worth it. Shoes must be comfortable.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#23 of 42 Old 07-08-2007, 04:55 AM

I am happy in a pair of hurachis all summer long.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#24 of 42 Old 07-08-2007, 10:15 AM

I have bad knees and ankles and find cheaper shoes usually hurt me. I do not usually need to dress up. My shoe of choice is my teva flip flop in black with a really thick cushy sole. It can dress up or down, slips on easily, and has enough padding to keep my foot off the ground and my knees happy.
#25 of 42 Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM

I am really the only person who finds Chacos to be like bricks; in weight, sole thickness and stiffness?? I think they're absolutely awful.

#26 of 42 Old 07-08-2007, 08:50 PM

I love my Merrell slides. COMFY! I also have Chacos and Adidas slides for wet play. That's it for warm weather shoes, here.
#27 of 42 Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM

I was just asking myself this same question! And here is how I answered it (but I didn't buy them from Zappos, I bought them in an REI store and they were $10 cheaper)

www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/20557878/c/3.html

I know everyone else has mentioned sandals, but I just really don't like wearing sandals, and no matter how much they seem to be the perfect solution, I can't make myself like wearing them. What I was looking for in a shoe:

1) Can be worn with or without socks
2) Looks appropriate with lots of different clothes
3) Can be worn with black or with my brown capris. I don't know if I succeeded on this one, but I've been wearing them with broan anyway, because they are so comfortable I can't bear to put my old, worn-out brown shoes back on.

I bought them last Tuesday, and I haven't worn another pair of shoes since (wait, I did wear a pair of flip-flops for a few minutes last night when I was at the water park with my son). My feet are happy. Oh, but try on a pair of Keens in person if you think about ordering that brand - I found them to run pretty large.

This is a very long answer, but I like them so much I have been wanting to tell everyone about them - thank you for giving me the opportunity!
#28 of 42 Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 PM

Birkenstocks. There are so many different styles and colours, they last a long time if you keep getting them resoled every few years. I love them. I own two pairs, I have had one for 5 years and one for probably 9.

ETA: Sorry, just noticed you were asking for shoes, not sandals. In this case, I will say Birkenstocks clogs.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#29 of 42 Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomAndOliver View Post
I was just asking myself this same question! And here is how I answered it (but I didn't buy them from Zappos, I bought them in an REI store and they were $10 cheaper)

www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/20557878/c/3.html

... Oh, but try on a pair of Keens in person if you think about ordering that brand - I found them to run pretty large. ...
Did you mean they run pretty small? I tried on Keens in three locations (don't ask) before I bought mine and they all warned me that they run 1/2 to 1 size small. I ended up buying a 9.5 pair of Keens and I normally wear an 8.5 or maybe, maybe a 9.

On Zappos, too, everyone talks about them running really small.

#30 of 42 Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 AM

My friends/family all live in one or more of the following:

Keenes
Birkenstocks
Chacos
Tevas
Crocs

*I'm the Tevas...I desperately want a pair of Chacos or Keenes, but my Tevas WON'T WEAR OUT (they're 6 years old). When we went on vacation last summer, they're the only shoes I took...I climbed a mountain in the Ozarks in these sandals, wore them jetskiing, and out to dinner (granted, it was a casual-ish place, but I did have on nice cropped pants). And we all wear Crocs. My husband and sons all wear the Keene's Newport sandals, and they will NOT wear out or even look shabby. And they go through the washing machine couple of months or so, due to stinky boy foot odors.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page