Getting rid of the dressers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 08-09-2007, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happyfrog, I'm going to do that with all of our clothes! We've gotten rid of quite a bit, but I know there are so many shirts that I've kept even though I don't wear them, because they "are nice shirts." It's great that they're nice....but pointless if I'm not wearing them!

Don't even get me started on DH's shirts. I've made a few disappear, but there are so many that he claims he wears on a regular basis, and I know he doesn't.
#32 of 37 Old 08-09-2007, 06:17 PM

We redid our closets with closetmaid... the kind that's completely adjustable. My two daughters share a closet and everything is in there since there is no room in their room for anything besides their beds. We put the hanging rod pretty low and then lots of shelves above that with small bins for socks, undies, pjs, swimsuits, and pants and shorts are just piled on the shelves (my idea was to have them neatly stacked and folded and sorted, but my girls aren't so fussy about that and it seems to work for them, so... the main thing was having the shelves not too far apart so the stacks don't get too high). I have all their seasonal stuff or slightly too big stuff on the very top shelf and we keep a step stool in the closet so they can reach all the shelves but the very top (all their clothes are reachable without the step stool... which is why having them adjustable was really important to us so that we could move things up as they grew... but they keep all their miscellaneous personal stuff in bins on the higher shelves). On the bottom they have two bins for dirty clothes, one for darks and one for lights... most of the time I end up throwing them in with mom and dad's laundry but they always have the option of throwing them in the wash themselves if they start to overflow before I get to them.

I kept all our dressers though, just not in the room. One we now use as a tv stand and keep all our videos and electronics in the drawers, one is used to keep toys, games, art supplies in the living room (not their 'official' home, but it makes quick clean ups a breeze for when we are all hanging out in the living room making our own project messes and have a surprise guest stop by we can just throw everything in the drawers and easily get back to whatever it was later), and another one we have near our door as a microwave oven stand and each kiddum has a drawer for them to dump all their stuff when they first get home, also to keep things they need before they head out (uniforms and paperwork for example)... again, not the official home for things so whenever we have a spare five minutes we go through those drawers and put stuff away, but it makes getting out of the house a breeze, and solves that problem of stuff getting misplaced and tossed all over when we first get home and are anxious just to relax or eat. We also have a dresser in the garage where we keep tools and also some outdoor toys and to set groceries on when we are taking our shoes off to get in the house (or stuff we want to take in the car while we are still gathering it together). I had a dresser in the laundry room but it broke (I kept the mismatched socks, mittens, gloves, hats, rags and stuff that was too small and needed to be passed on in it). I love dressers... just not in the bedrooms I guess! As others have mentioned, it's really nice being able to see all the clothes you have, things tend to get buried and forgotten in dressers... I've found we all make better use of our wardrobes being able to see everything everytime we open a closet as well as knowing what needs to be washed, what needs to be purchased and what needs to go.
#33 of 37 Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
We ditched the dressers. I hang almost everything up. At the top of each closet we have a shelf and that's where I keep folded PJs. Each closet also has a basket there to keep socks and underwear.
It has worked really well for us
Yes, this is what we did. I don't miss them at all!

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#34 of 37 Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM

I don't have a dresser. My husband is a woodworker and SIX years ago he promised me he would make me one. The oak is still in his workshop

Funny thing is that now I don't even want a dresser anymore. Neither of us keep a lot of clothes and what we do keep gets hung (including tshirts etc) We each have a small plastic steralite 3 drawer container that holds our underwear and socks. Those both fit in our closet as well. I think it works quite well.

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#35 of 37 Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well, for now, we are keeping the dressers until we can figure out what we want to do to the closets (basically the do-it-yourself closet organizers from Home Depot or calling one of the closet companies to do it). But I think we are both pretty sold on the idea of eventually eliminating the dressers. The only reason we may not is if one of the boys wants to move into the back bedroom where there is no closet. But that won't happen for a while (ds#1 doesn't want to move; I don't see ds#2 wanting to move, so that would be waiting for the baby to be old enough to finally move into ds#2's room and then decide he doesn't want a roommate ).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#36 of 37 Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 AM

For a long time we used our dresser in our living room. It contained items that we liked to have on hand but wanted out of the way:

Board Games
Video/Camera
Blankets for couch snuggling
Daddy's drawer to store his "stuff" from coming home - keys, sunglasses, etc.
My slings and Ergo backpack
A "return to people" drawer - all that stuff that belongs to other people that ends up in my house.

This particular dresser has a lot of small drawers, or long skinny drawers so it gave me lots of options. But you could do the same thing by adding rubbermaid containers in a deep dresser to seperate items as needed.

Just an idea if you don't want to get rid of your nice dressers.
#37 of 37 Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM

I know of a woman with a young teen daughter who got rid of the girl's bed & fixed the mattress on top of a big dresser. It sounds odd but it freed up lots of floor space & the girl really got into redecorating her room.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page