Getting rid of the dressers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would desparately love to get rid of our dressers. Mind you, they are about 1 year old, in great shape, and fully functional. But man the floor space they take up in the bedrooms (especially in the boys' two rooms). I don't want them anymore, but need an alternative for the closet so we can have hanging clothes and folded clothes. The one room (our oldest ds's room) will be easier as he's the only one using the closet. But the other room has the clothes of both the other two boys (the baby sleeps with us but his clothes are in the room he'll eventually share with our middle ds), and their closet is only as big as the other closet. So, two people will have to share a closet basically inteded for one. I'm thinking of some type of cubbie system in there for all foldable clothing and then just hanging all shirts - t's, button downs - and jackets. (We don't have a central "coat" closet but with our mild weather, one or two jackets per person is more than enough.) Has anyone ditched the dressers in favor of floor space? Any tips? (I know we'll be simplifying the clothing, for one.)

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
closet organizers

my son uses a wire rack cube system for almost everything/folded and hangs up anything "fancy"

definitely pare down to the essentials and favorite items
you can only wear one outfit at a time...

my youngest basically owns enough clothes to wear for one week...and then i do laundry!

all his clothes fit into one small duffle bag

he always wants to wear his same fav. shirt anyhow LOL
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 PM

We ditched the dressers. I hang almost everything up. At the top of each closet we have a shelf and that's where I keep folded PJs. Each closet also has a basket there to keep socks and underwear.
It has worked really well for us

eta: another thing you can do is get a bar to add to your closet- the bars meant for shower curtains work really well for this purpose. Then you'll be able to hang twice as many things

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling very inspired! Both closets have the standard shelf and bar - but as of yet, only the 6 year old can really reach them. So, we try to fold everything but fancy/button-down shirts and jackets. But, each closet has a wire shelf that is about half way between the floor and the shelf/pole. But it only extends about halfway the width of the closet. Maybe we should get a couple of those from Home Depot or such ... it they aren't too expensive. The biggest deal is wanting to ditch the dressers even though we just bought them last summer. I told dh we could have a garage sale. Anyone else with dresser-ditching experience?

Old 07-29-2007, 09:08 PM

I like my dresser! It serves me well! LOL

I'd say to clean out the closet and organize it before you get rid of the dressers. Get a system going there so each child has space for their clothes. Try and make sure they can reach most of it too. I think adding something with at least one drawer per child is a good idea,for underpants and socks,unless you have a cubby with a basket in it for those.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 PM

don't toss the dressers yet.

i'd concur - really go thru the closet and drawers and toss all the stuff that's not right for each person, THEN evaluate your needs.

as we are totally remodeling our very old house one room at a time and the closets are very small, we took out the original rod and replaced it with those wall unit things - where you screw in to the wall long bars and then attach custom shelves that can be placed however. i made it so in the boys rooms, right now there are 2 rods and shelves. that's perfect for them.

in our room 2/3 of the closet is shelves with rods and 1/3 is for 'long' stuff like dresses and jackets.

it's somethign to look into. i think it cost us about $200 each closet, but it's something very practical and made very small closets usable for us.

we also have dressers - the tall kind - i think the long low dressers are a waste of space so i only buy the 'guy' dressers or whatever they're called - the ones that are almost too tall for me to get into top drawer.

i wanted to put warddrobes (converted into shelving units with doors) but they wouldn't fit up the stairs).

what i will do when the boys are older and dig in the dressers themselves for clothes is to label the outside of each dresser with the contents

that helps immensely with keeping it a bit organized and helping said child find what he's looking for. . . . (I'm from large family and that's what my mom did and I always thought it was simple, yet brilliant.) made it easy for anyone to put away laundry, too.

happy organizing!

bettyann
Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 PM

I got rid of my dresser and I can't believe how much space I've saved. I replaced it with one of those tiny 4 drawer plastic carts on wheels and only keep my shorts, and undergarments in there. The rest is hung up in the closet. I love it!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Maybe the youngest's stuff can go in the closet that has more room?And you could use some things like these?

Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We just downsized from 1000 sq ft to 650 (and from 2 bedrooms to 1) and sorely needed to get rid of one of our two dressers. It was a monsterous 8 drawer thing that was 4 ft wide and 3 ft high. We replaced it with this.

The cubes hold my entire non-maternity wardrobe except for dresses and undergarments. There's room for socks and underwear, but since we have another dresser, I keep those things in it because I like to. All of DH's clothes are either hung up or in the other dresser and all of my maternity clothes are hung up. Once I can put my maternity clothes back in storage, I will hang up most of my other clothes, and use the wire cubes for baby's clothes.

Since we don't actually have a dedicated bedroom with a bed in it, we keep the dresser we still have inside the closet to save precious floor space.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:35 PM

I have the same goal, and acheived it (well, sort of -- the dresser is empty, but now I need to figure out what to do with it) with Rubbermaid Configurations in the closet. I have shelves for my sweaters, shirts and jeans, and then I have plenty of hanging space for jackets, nicer shirts, skirts and dresses. Plus all DH's stuff. He still has a tall dresser that is packed, but it works for him -- I could just never keep my drawers organized, I function better if I can SEE my stuff. I haven't decided if i am going to do this in my sons' room or not.

As far as adding hanging space quickly and easily, Target has hanging rods for $4.99 in the back to college area right now.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM

When DH and I got married last year, we looked at dressers, but couldn't find anything that was a) real wood, b) affordable, and c) our style. So instead, we bought some fabric and wire baskets and put everything that doesn't hang in those. They came in a variety of sizes, and we've put them on the top shelf of our closet (DH's, since I am three apples tall and can't reach), and on the floor of the closet. It works well and keeps things really quite organized. I remember having a jumble of things in drawers that wouldn't close in a previous life!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 PM

ifyou only have 1 bar in closet, move it and hang 2.....will accomidate everything except long dresses/coats
we hang everything except socks panties undies pj's (less wrinkles too)
you can do bins on shelf in closet for those things, or an over door shoe organizer (pocket type) inside closet door
dd's dresser is in her closet
Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 AM

When my children were small, I had plastic stacking baskets in their closets. I think they were from Linens N Things. They were great for all their things- they could easily take things out and put them away. No one had dressers until recently and we were fine without them.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:26 AM

We have absolutely no dressers in our house. I hate them. I hate the space they take up. I'm a big fan of closet organizers. The kids have a built-in unit with plenty of shelves for their folded clothes (pants, shorts, PJs), and a basket each for their socks and undies. Everything else is hung.

In our room, I have a hanging fabric "shelf" system where we put our pants and shorts, and everything else is hung. We have small closets, and were still able to make it work, as we have mimimized our wardrobes down to about a week's worth of clothing per person.

I love the extra space we have, now that the dressers and wardrobes are gone.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 AM

I don't like dressers simply b/c i can't SEE what is available to wear. I got rid of my dresser and bought two hanging fabric "shelf" units from Ikea and it works great. I only hang things that absolutely have to be hung, and i just fold everything else and slide it into one of the shelf cubbies. so now i open my closet, and i can see all of my clean clothes in one glance. i love it. go for it!

My kids have two shelving units in their closet as well and no dresser in their room. I labeled the shelves so that we can stay relatively organized with their clothes (even when my husband puts the clothes away, which is frequently.)

The only person who still has a dresser in our house is my husband and I'm trying to talk him out of it soon!

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh one other idea...we have put the dresser IN the closet before to free up bedroom space...dont know if that's an option for you
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

We tried the dressers in the closet (well, one in each), but they are too wide and don't work - you can open the drawers but you can't get to the "dead" space on each side. Tonight I went and got a couple things at Target, plus we put one of the bookshelf/cubby things we have in the bigger room (the one that ds#2 and ds#3 share, at least in terms of storing clothes). I'm hoping it works. Dh's biggest concern is that their clothing will get bigger and not fit eventually. Plus, he doesn't like that we bought these nice dressers (they were about $150/each from Ikea) and now we don't want them. We new they techincally fit in the room before we bought them, but didn't realize how much space really they would take up until we had them in there and played with the floor layout.

We did realize we could keep the one dresser in ds#1's room and his desk, and yet have floor space. So his closet will house the Lego's. But I really want to give ds#2 and ds#3 some good floor space for playing.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 AM

I don't have a dresser, and just use my night stand for undies and socks, and fold up jammies on a shelve in the closet. Everything else is hung. I find I wear things more that way.

DD's dresser is in her closet, so it's not taking up precious floor space. It works really well!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM

We are in the process of getting rid of the dressers. I'm taking small steps though. We have eliminated a tall dresser from the boys' room and now only have a small three drawer dresser in the closet for their pants, underwear, socks, and pj's. We hung up their shirts, coats, sweatshirts. And we got rid of two black garbage bags of clothes. It has freed up so much floor space and makes the room look so much bigger. I'm hoping to do the same in my daughter's room. I'm waiting to see how this works for them first though before I take the next big step of eliminating the dressers completely.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:37 AM

We don't have dressers simply because there is not room. Actually, my oldest daughter has a dresser under her loft bed, but the other two don't have one. All three are in one bedroom. With the bunk bed and the loft bed there is no room for anything else.

What we do is basically hang up everything that can be hung. Blouses, dress shirts, t-shirts, dresses, skirts, all hung up. I found a small wire, three-tier shelf that we put in the closet. My son has one tier for his jammies, shorts, etc. My daughter has one for hers. Then they share one shelf with their socks, tights, and undies. I put those in those shoebox size clear plastic boxes and set them on the shelf.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM

We recently remodled the mater bathrrom in the house we are in now. There was a huge walk in closet taking up too much space. We made it a simple wall closet and added a large wardrobe cabinet with shelves. It gave us room for a *large* bubble jet tub. I keep most of my own clothing in the cabinet. I like having my things on shelves where I can see it in a glance. Far superior to drawers in a dresser.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
We recently remodled the mater bathrrom in the house we are in now. There was a huge walk in closet taking up too much space. We made it a simple wall closet and added a large wardrobe cabinet with shelves. It gave us room for a *large* bubble jet tub. I keep most of my own clothing in the cabinet. I like having my things on shelves where I can see it in a glance. Far superior to drawers in a dresser.
Funny you should say that about shelves versus drawers ... dh is totally hung up on drawers! He likes that they can be closed and be messy inside but you wouldn't see it. I told him that closet doors can be closed too. We still aren't sure what we are doing and need to wait until after the new carpet is laid before we do anything permanent or semi-permanent in the closets, but I am definitely leaning towards building in shelves/cubbies in there. I want floor space!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 AM

I recently sold our dressers too. Craigslist works great for that

I hang just about everything and have shelves or plastic storage bins for everything else. I actually did keep a small 4-drawer dresser in my room that I repainted. My great-grandfather made it and it's all solid wood (even the back), so I thought it was a neat piece of furniture to keep. It's pretty small and I keep my socks and underwear in it, plus some other random things, since I don't have a desk.

I say get rid of the dressers--I really don't think you'll regret it!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 PM

We are in the process if getting rid of our dressers. We inherited them from my parents years ago. They're 60s-era, huge, and really not my style. I think in order to do this we're going to have to install some sort of closet organization system as well as drastically pare down our wardrobes. The latter is really going to be a struggle for DH.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveGirl View Post
drastically pare down our wardrobes. The latter is really going to be a struggle for DH.
i have a couple of ideas on how to do that pretty painlessly.

i did it a few years ago and it worked really well.

i simply reversed all the hangers int eh closet. so instead of them facing out, the hook part is facing out.

stay with me here.

now what happens is person selects item, removes it from closet and then when it's laundered, you put it back in closet the 'normal' way.

after one year (you'll hit all the seasons this way) you'll easily tell which clothes are never chosen and which are.

Then what you do is take ALL teh clothes facing the 'wrong' way and remove them to another room for a month or so. see if dh notices.

now if there's a special item - like my dh doesn't wear suits except for formal occasions (RARE!!) i kept ONE suit and all accoutrements and freecycled all the rest of the suits. I did make sure the suit I kept and shirt, tie, etc., all match and FIT dh well. If it didn't fit, it got tossed.

it was a painless method to discover what one REALLY wears in closet w/o standing over it and trying to decide at one moment.

now it's easier to weed out stuff - as I've gotten pretty ruthless but that was a hard step - the first time I cleared out stuff.

you'll be amazed at how LITTLE you ACTUALLY wear out of your closet. . ..

bettyann
Old 08-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Happyfrog, you are a genious. I've been trying to get my dh to pare down. He doesn't want to get rid of anything, as he's cheap.

This way, I can figure out what can be packed away and later rotated.

Again, pure genious.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post

I did this too! We had a large 4 x 14 closet with doors. I took the doors off, took out the bar, wallpapred it and put my dresser off to the side (DH has the built in) and I now have a lovely changing area. I also put some shelves on the other wall (Hidden area where the door ended and the closet keeps going in) that we keep sweatshirts, pants, etc. on. We are going to build some doors for that tiny area to clean it up a bit. I love it!

I also took my youngests dresser, repainted it and put it in the upstairas hallway for storage of off season clothes. The boys use one armoire that I hang the shirts and there are two drawers for pants, socks and undies. They have an enormous walk in closet though, and if I can ever get around to cleaning out all the junk we put in there when we moved into this house, it would be more than enough room for all their clothes. (Heck its the size of a small bedroom!!!)
Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 PM

I am posting an idea from a friend's closet since we are renting right now and can't do anything permanent in our closets. I love the idea and when we buy a house, I am going to copy some of her ideas.

She has 4 boys sharing a standard size closet. They got rid of all their dressers in that room. Her Dh build drawers into the closet. You can buy them at Home Depot or another home improvement store in their closet organizer area. Each boy has a drawers for his underwear/socks and one for pants/shorts. All of their shirts are hung up. There is one area for hanging longer things and then a shorter top rod. They built a mud room out of their front closet and all their shoes go in there. (They have a 1200 sq. ft. house with 6 children and she has become VERY organized and decluttered and is very much at peace with the size of their home.)

I will ask her if I can take a picture of her closet if you are interested in seeing it.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefulhome View Post
I am posting an idea from a friend's closet since we are renting right now and can't do anything permanent in our closets. I love the idea and when we buy a house, I am going to copy some of her ideas.

She has 4 boys sharing a standard size closet. They got rid of all their dressers in that room. Her Dh build drawers into the closet. You can buy them at Home Depot or another home improvement store in their closet organizer area. Each boy has a drawers for his underwear/socks and one for pants/shorts. All of their shirts are hung up. There is one area for hanging longer things and then a shorter top rod. They built a mud room out of their front closet and all their shoes go in there. (They have a 1200 sq. ft. house with 6 children and she has become VERY organized and decluttered and is very much at peace with the size of their home.)

I will ask her if I can take a picture of her closet if you are interested in seeing it.
That would be great!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefulhome View Post

Wow! That is very inspirational. I'd love pictures and tips on the rest of the house.

Signed,
Mom of 3 boys

User Tag List