Compacting Mommas Late Summer Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I need some help. I am really struggling with something, and I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to order up a whole bunch of clothes online.

I am down to two outfits to wear to work and that's it. I need to find professional clothing, but short of shopping online I'm out of luck. I haven't found much on Ebay, and nothing in local thrift stores. It's a struggle because my appearance has become progressively poorer and poorer at the office and that's not a good thing. I'm really hard on my clothes too.

Sewing is a great option, but since we're organizing the farmers market this year I have not had a free weekend or free evening at all this summer.

I just need a little encouragement right now. If I can make it to October, it'll be one year of compacting.
I'm struggling with sort of the same thing. My job just transferred to a department that has very strict dress standards and I'm a bit at a loss. I haven't hit the thrift stores yet, though--I feel a bit discouraged just thinking about it, because of all the work that's involved. But even finding one or two things will feel like a huge accomplishment. One fun consignment shop isn't even worth visiting in this situation because I *know* it won't have anything that meets the dress code.

Oh, one thought: Etsy! I found this, which I totally love, but probably isn't suitable for my workplace. I doubt there are business suits on Etsy, but there are lots of interesting, funky clothes.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#92 of 97 Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 PM

Most people have an exception for required work items in their compact. So if you aren't able to meet you job's expectations without buying new, then that is okay -- just don't buy too much.
#93 of 97 Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
DH and I have both been really frustrated with Cat Litter lately.

Have you tried the Litter Kwitter? (toilet training cats) I'm going to get one from ebay. I'm not on compact yet, but even if I was, I figure it's justifiable for the amount of kitty litter that would be thrown out otherwise. The litter box can just be freecycled as well.

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#94 of 97 Old 09-01-2007, 02:36 PM

:
And I celebrated by shopping??
:

I've been going through the winter clothes I have for the boys, trying to plan ahead and get stuff ready for our local biannual children's thrift sale. I never put anything in because I never plan for it, but I'd REALLY like to be able to go the participant's only sale. All of my items are laundered, hung, and tagged *and* I know what I need for the boys for winter. My compact makes an exception for the boy's pants and shoes, because they are very hard to fit, but even with the exception, I'm going to TRY to find used before I buy new, so I've made a list and I'm on the lookout for clothes for them.

I got an email reminder that this weekend is the half off sale at our local Goodwill, so I planned to get up this morning and go see what I could find. As expected, I couldn't find ANY pants for them (their pants MUST MUST MUST have the adjustable waist or they simply don't stay up!!), but I did find 6 shirts for Samuel (all he'll need for the winter!), and 4 for Atley (more than he'll need because he has Samuel's hand-me-downs). I got to the front and discovered that half off day ONLY applies on Monday (*SIGH*), but even so, I spent only $32 on 10 shirts. That means I'll have money for pants at the thrift sale *or* if I go on Monday to the other Goodwill and find pants, I can just have some income from the thrift sale. I'm so excited. I've never really had any luck finding clothes for the boys at Goodwill, but I think it's because I often get frustrated with the hunting involved. It was still frustrating (there is NO ORGANIZATION at our stores), but I feel like it was successful and all of my purchases were well thought out, which is one of my major goals for my 6 months on the compact.

Two of Samuel's shirts look brand new..they were $1.99 each
The rest of Samuel's shirts are polos with one button down...all $2.99 each
Atley's shirts are a mix of polo and button down...$2.99 each

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#95 of 97 Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 PM

How is everyone doing?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#96 of 97 Old 11-23-2007, 10:42 PM

Is there anyone still doing this? I have been considering this for months and am ready to start come January. I am excited and scared, but mostly excited.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#97 of 97 Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 AM

Yes, there are several of us compacting now.

Here's the thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=774844

Come join us!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page