Compacting Mommas Late Summer Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last Compacting thread had gotten really long and some people had mentioned wanting a new one... So here it is!

Just a reminder that the web address for the BIG Yahoo Compact group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecompact/ and the archives there are GREAT for newbies to the Compact as well as ongoing Compact tips. There are about 8500 members there and it's a high volume list, so set your e-mail settings accordingly (individual messages, digest, or no mail).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread. I will check out the link too.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:10 PM

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for starting the thread! I've been thinking about this for months and now is the time to jump back into it!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM

I'm still plugging away. My year will be up in October. It's been fun, and I've learned a lot from it. I'm really craving some new things about now though. Like clothes to wear to the office.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I'm still plugging away. My year will be up in October. It's been fun, and I've learned a lot from it. I'm really craving some new things about now though. Like clothes to wear to the office.
Wow! You've done great!

I've got a lot of weight to lose. And I've also got quite a bit of clothing in smaller sizes. I just have very little that fits me right now. So I'm hoping that this will be an additional motivation to get my act straight and start getting in shape. As I lose weight, I will have clothes that fit and that will seem new because its been so long since I've been able to wear them!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM

I'm really considering compacting. DH and I will probably talk about it tonight. I have been trying to read through the old threads and checking out people's blogs. I'll probably sign up for the yahoo group too. DH will be going back to school in Jan. and we'd like to get our old debt paid off. We are looking at other apartments closer to school. One place we're considering is in a very walkable area but about 985 sq feet for the five us. Anything that helps us break away out of the consumer mind set can't be be bad either. I think compacting could really help us make some of the changes we desire.

-Pam
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 PM

:

The compact really appeals to me, but I am weak . . . . Maybe you can all inspire me.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Yeah! I am here. Will have to discuss with dh what exactly our "compact" will look like.

Will do that tonight.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
:

The compact really appeals to me, but I am weak . . . . Maybe you can all inspire me.
Definitely give it a try! Even if you don't abide 100% by the Compact, it will surely make you more aware each time you do want to buy something that you don't really need or could get used.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 PM

Today I returned a pair of Old Navy capris I bought on sale that I havent worn yet. I also have a target shirt to return, and a swimsuit that I got a great deal on but was able to repair the one I bouught last year.

I didnt buy anything for 2 yrs while I was a SAHM, now that I am working I have spent too much on things. I have bought too much over the past 2 years. That with losing weight and having a more casual job has caused the spending cycle.

I am starting tommorrow. :
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 PM

:
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazx2 View Post
Today I returned a pair of Old Navy capris I bought on sale that I havent worn yet. I also have a target shirt to return, and a swimsuit that I got a great deal on but was able to repair the one I bouught last year.

I didnt buy anything for 2 yrs while I was a SAHM, now that I am working I have spent too much on things. I have bought too much over the past 2 years. That with losing weight and having a more casual job has caused the spending cycle.

I am starting tommorrow. :
Good for you!!! You did great!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
Good for you!!! You did great!
Thankyou!!

I put up four auctions last night. One was a purchase at SArmy for Jcrew pants, but I have plenty of other pants that fit now and these are too big. I also put up a top I bought last week that I like- but I am not 100% sure about. I got it for $7 and the retail is $44 so hopefully I will make $.

I felt releived this morning. I still have to write my pledge and goals- I have a rough draft right now.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Just posted a huge post here and lost it!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 PM

Is anyone interested in participating in a group blog on the challenges, benefits and general thoughts of Compacting with kids? I think it'd be kinda fun and would be happy to set one up for us.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Is anyone interested in participating in a group blog on the challenges, benefits and general thoughts of Compacting with kids? I think it'd be kinda fun and would be happy to set one up for us.
That would be a great idea!

P.S. For our old compacting blogring, I lost the code to put it on my page and couldn't remember my log-in information for the ring, so I signed up again.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 PM

Situation: Need clean drinking water

I would prefer to not drink the water at our house. Right now we are using jugs of water or bottled water. It is wasting all of the plastic.

What is the best option?

1) Drinking tap water if a stainless steal drink bottle

2) Drinking large jugs of water in stainless drink bottle; recycling jug

3) Use refillable jugs

4) Install a filter system on kitchen sink

What do you all think?

Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post

I would prefer to not drink the water at our house. Right now we are using jugs of water or bottled water. It is wasting all of the plastic.

What is the best option?

3) Use refillable jugs

What do you all think?
Our tap water is disgusting. What we've been doing is using a large PUR filter container that stays in the refrigerator. We fill the top with water and it filters down. It has a little spigot dispenser, from which we fill our Sigg and Klean Kanteen bottles. We have another small filter container that we keep on the counter and use for making ice cubes, tea, etc. I'm concerned about the safety of the plastic, but haven't yet looked into filters for the sink itself.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:01 PM

Ok....homeschooling.

If I find a books and such that we would like to use for our studies and I can not find them used......should I change the course of our studies?

Buy new as it is an investment piece (especially with 4 children so far)

Any suggestions?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Our tap water is disgusting. What we've been doing is using a large PUR filter container that stays in the refrigerator. We fill the top with water and it filters down. It has a little spigot dispenser, from which we fill our Sigg and Klean Kanteen bottles. We have another small filter container that we keep on the counter and use for making ice cubes, tea, etc. I'm concerned about the safety of the plastic, but haven't yet looked into filters for the sink itself.
Didn't think about the filter container. Good idea.

Would have to buy that new.....hmmm....and the filters.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Didn't think about the filter container. Good idea.

Would have to buy that new.....hmmm....and the filters.
Don't be grossed out, but I got our countertop pitcher at a yard sale. It was late in the afternoon and the people just put out a big sign that said "FREE" for whatever they had leftover. So, I got it, washed it out and we've used it for months now. Maybe you know someone who doesn't use theirs and would give it to you. Filters I would definitely buy new anyway. When it comes to things like food, water or hygiene products, I go new.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:

What is the best option?

3) Use refillable jugs

What do you all think?
We were going through tons of bottled water at the beginning of the year. : What we did was bought a purifying system that goes on the counter that cleans a pitcher at a time and each of us a Sigg bottle. The pitcher keeps cold water in the fridge for meals and such. The Sigg bottles keep me drinking water during in the day and from buying water bottles while we are out.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Don't be grossed out. I got our countertop one at a yard sale. It was late in the afternoon and the people just put out a big sign that said "FREE" for whatever they had leftover. So, I got it, washed it out and we've used it for months now. Maybe you know someone who doesn't use theirs and would give it to you. Filters I would definitely buy new anyway. When it comes to things like food, water or hygiene products, I go new.
Oh....that doesn't gross me out

I have purchased used cloth diapers and nightware and bras. I would probably wear used undies......depending on how they looked.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:

What is the best option?

3) Use refillable jugs

What do you all think?
The best solution is probably a filter. Even a basic filter will make a big difference in taste, and from what I've read, in reducing nasties like phthalates, too. We have one in our fridge water dispenser.

I don't blame you; I won't drink tap water, either, even though ours isn't so bad.

I would love to join a group blog, but we don't have kids (yet! coming soon!). Can I still join?

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 PM

I'm in!!! We are going to be downsizing within the year. I am currently searching for a piece of land so we can become yurt-friendly

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 08-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Alright: I've got the new Compacting Mamas blog up and running. You can check it out here: Mamas on the Compact. If you want to join up to contribute to the blog you can email me at jenny(at)green-mommy(dot)com and I'll add you to the contributors list.

(And, no, you don't have to be a mama to contribute. )

Old 08-01-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Alright: I've got the new Compacting Mamas blog up and running. You can check it out here: Mamas on the Compact. If you want to join up to contribute to the blog you can email me at jenny(at)green-mommy(dot)com and I'll add you to the contributors list.

(And, no, you don't have to be a mama to contribute. )
Jenny, I emailed you, but I got an error message. Can you let me know if you received it?

ETA: I just tried again and still get this message "PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 16)"
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Jenny, I emailed you, but I got an error message. Can you let me know if you received it?

ETA: I just tried again and still get this message "PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 16)"
Weird. I just sent a couple tests and they went through alright. It's a fairly new email address so maybe that accounts for it? At any rate, send me a PM with your email and I can send you an invite right away.

If anyone else cares to join the group blog, send me PM with your email addy and let me know.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post

I would love to join a group blog, but we don't have kids (yet! coming soon!). Can I still join?

Please do!!!!!!!

User Tag List