August declutter challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 222 Old 08-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I need to join up again. My last declutter challenge was in Feb. I'm happy to say that I don't have lots of things to actually get rid of but I have some areas in the house that could use a major declutter/organizing. Namely, the "junk" drawer, the computer desk, closet, and bathroom drawers. Oh, and where I stack bills, letters, etc. So that's it. Now I just need some m o t i v a t i o n!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 222 Old 08-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Filled up most of the back of my mother's car for Goodwill this morning (she was taking a few boxes of books there herself). And I already have another box half full from this afternoon! Hooray!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#63 of 222 Old 08-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Hello! I've never done a decluttering chalange before. I have major needs! I have a friend moving in in about 3 weeks. Her son will take the office as his room.I have already moved the computer stuff up stairs.

I like the X # of things per day. I think I will strive for 25 items per room. Is this doable or is this too big?

I am open to tips and sugestions.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#64 of 222 Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 PM

I spent several hours in my office/guest room today (the aforementioned Secret Shame). I have results!

1. We had a giant plastic box of cords and cables and adapters and stereo wire, etc. that my DH swears we will need someday and I can't get rid of. They were all jammed/stuffed in there, tangled up, and you had to dump out the whole box and untangle a million wires to get one cord. You can just imagine.

I untangled them and coiled them up and secured each one with a zip tie and sorted them out by type, put them in giant baggies, and stored them back in the box.

Voila:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8671453...n/photostream/

2. Box of documents...similar situation. I found my mortgage!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8671453...n/photostream/

I recycled/tossed a bunch of envelopes, junk mail, crap, etc...nothing worth mentioning actually left the house, but I still feel like this counts as significant progress.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#65 of 222 Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Holly, that box of cords is amazing! Will you come organize my boxes of random objects?

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#66 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 12:10 AM

Yes, I will do it for a vegan cupcake!

Cuz, y'know, vegan cupcakes take over the world...

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#67 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
Cuz, y'know, vegan cupcakes take over the world...

Holly
I know--that's my plan! Mwahahahahahaha!

Anyhoo, on to today's decluttering! I added some scented oils to the bag of stuff I'm giving to a friend, and I'm trying to Freecycle a couple other things.

It's almost impossible to find a new home for old cell phone chargers, isn't it? My DH had a cell phone his old job provided, and he gave back the phone, but forgot to take back the charger. Turns out they don't want it, anyway. So now what? In the past, Freecyclers haven't wanted them . . . . We shall see this time.

Total: 14/93

#68 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 AM

For the cell phone charger, what about cell phones for soldiers. According to their site they accept old phones,chargers, and accessories. This page tells how, and you can print a postage paid label to mail them in even.

And I want well organized boxes of random cords. We have a storage tub like that (before it looks so pretty and organized )
#69 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencarr View Post
For the cell phone charger, what about cell phones for soldiers. According to their site they accept old phones,chargers, and accessories. This page tells how, and you can print a postage paid label to mail them in even.
Queencarr, you've just made my day! Thanks! (Off to print mailing label!)

#70 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Yesterday I managed to clean off my desk, and I got rid of waaaaaay more than 10 items if you count a paper as an item. I think I will just count the desk as 10, however, because I didn't really keep track of how much stuff I threw away/recycled. It was a lot. Today I need to hit the toys here in my front room.

Wish me luck!
#71 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Ok, today I am going to tackle the junk drawer and cupboard. I like the idea of taking pics so I'll be taking before and after pics.

KnockedupButtercup - Great organizing! I reeeeeeally need to do that here in the office. Right now I just have a box with a bunch of cords thrown into it.

Good Luck superstella!
#72 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 AM

Oh, and I have some old batteries that I need to recycle. Does anyone have the website to find out where I can bring them locally?
#73 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Oh, and I have some old batteries that I need to recycle. Does anyone have the website to find out where I can bring them locally?
Try earth911.org to find local recycling centers for almost anything.

#74 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 11:56 PM

20 items so far today. When I get off my rear to unpack some more I have a feeling I will be adding more.

63/200

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#75 of 222 Old 08-05-2007, 11:56 PM

VeganCupcake, glad I could help
#76 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 AM

I thought it would be impossible, but I managed (in just a few minutes!) to find 4 more things to get rid of!

So I'm at 18/93!

#77 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 AM

I got some decluttering done, but not in my basement where I need it most! But stuff gone is stuff gone. One large garbage bag full of clothes off to Goodwill.

I bought myself a desk to use for work, and dh and I put it together yesterday. We got it all set up and dh said "Take a good look because this is the last time you'll see the top of it!" Here's to trying to keep it uncluttered!
#78 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 AM

Last night I threw away 52 dessert recipes I'd clipped from magazines & newspapers but had never tried. Some of them were purely aspirational -- things I'd never actually have the time or skill to make... maybe I was hanging on to them as part of my 'ideal' version of myself? It was very, very freeing to be able to say "You know what? This cheesecake recipe takes 2 hours of hands-on time and requires tools and pans I don't have. It's not happening!"

Without getting overly dramatic, it had some elements of accepting who I am and what I can do... and throwing away some unreasonable expectations for myself.

Anyway, not done purging the recipe collection but I'll call the 52 recipes "5 items" for the purposes of the challenge.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#79 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Try earth911.org to find local recycling centers for almost anything.
awesome. thank you!
#80 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 02:38 PM

Well I hadn't had time to join this month yet, but I had set a goal of 100 items, until I hit an anti-clutter mood this weekend. I am around 300-400/100, guess I should up my goal.

I have several hundred things that were either so worn out that they weren't worth saving and a bunch of stuff for a garage sale I am doing after right after the first of September. I have several of the huge rubbermaids that were crammed full of stuff that used to define me and they are empty or full of sale or donate stuff. I am so happy.
#81 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM

Ok, *finally* today I am get to start decluttering and organizing. We have been painting since last week ... we aren't done, but we finally finished the living area (front room through large hallway through living room through alcove). It was a very long process. But, we are ready to move the bookshelves back in the large hallway (it's a very wide "hall" that connects the front room to the main living area). The boxes with all those books don't need culling, but once those come out, I get to *finally* get to the VHS/DVDs.

Then, that should clear out ds#2's room (his room has been a storage room), and move his furniture back so he can finally sleep in his own room, which means we can finally get into the playroom and start culling old toys, decluttering stuff, and organizing what is left.

I think my mantra today is *FINALLY!* I have been looking forward to starting ... last night I was up until 4 am painting (we had to paint with the baby asleep), and I probably nursed the baby at least 3-4 times during that time, so during my nursing breaks, I went through the FlyLady site and started taking notes. I don't think I've ever been this excited to clean! :

So, I'm going to try to keep track of items so I can see how much we get rid of this month.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#82 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Congrats Mylittlewonders, what a job you did last night! And I thought *I* was tired today!

Today we had a birthday party for my ds2 and as such I decluttered absolutely nothing. I'll do better tomorrow, I promise!
#83 of 222 Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Today I finally got my butt into gear. So far I have 136 items to give to my best friend for her new baby and 39 items to go to a conginment store tomorrow.

TOTAL for the month: 175/310

Off to do more :

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#84 of 222 Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM

So far I've sold 46 bottles of paint (those little 2 oz craft bottles), 16 paint brushes, 3 coloring books, 2 small storage boxes I didn't need anymore, an old shoe rack, a candle holder, a pillar candle and box of votive candles, some kitchen cannisters (4), and a string of Christmas lights. Bringing my total thus far to 76.
#85 of 222 Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
Congrats Mylittlewonders, what a job you did last night! And I thought *I* was tired today!

Today we had a birthday party for my ds2 and as such I decluttered absolutely nothing. I'll do better tomorrow, I promise!
I did really well too until about 5pm ... I sat to nurse poor teething ds#3 and I thought my head was going to fall off my shoulders!

I forgot that I did get rid of 5 pairs of jeans (well, maybe 6, I can't remember) and about 5 or 6 tee's that my mom had given me. I decided I didn't like the fit, bought some new jeans that I love, and gave hers all back to her. So, I have decluttered approximately 11 items! Now I need to count the movies.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#86 of 222 Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 AM

#87 of 222 Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM

The store called and my bed is in!!! Unfortunately, our schedule is such that I can't pick it up until at least tomorrow, maybe Friday. But a good excuse to go into overdrive for my room. So far today:

1 dresser top cleared off
1 stack of Trading Post items in a bag to either be sold or, if not, ready to donate
1 hot spot corner cleaned out and gone through (still need to put a few items from this away, but was rudely interrupted by the end of naptime )
10 catalogs thrown away
1 bag of trash

So my new grand total is 18/175. I plan to finish my room today so that we can go ahead and move the furniture around, makign it easier to get the new bed in when we get a chance.
#88 of 222 Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 PM

All right! I started on the toys today, and I'm happy to say that I disposed of waaaaaaaaaay more than 20 old, broken, plastic, never-played-with toys! But, for purposes of the challenge, I'm going to count them as 20 (to keep up with my goal) because I'm not really sure how to count each broken piece, etc. Let's just say my front room is happy today!
#89 of 222 Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 PM

when my dh goes back to work

When he's around he insists on going through trash bags and he has a fit if I try to get rid of stuff. It will be so much easier when he's not around.
#90 of 222 Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM

I got 2 more big parts of my room done--I cleared another dresser top and another hot spot of paper stacks (which included our mortgage refi ) and put awy the stacks that were interupted earlier. I need to get 1 more corner done, and clear off/under the bed before we can move the old one out and the new one in. So my new total is 20/175.

Superstella, I count broken toys by the handfuls By that, I mean large substantial things gone is 1 point, the tiny little annoying broken or extra pieces to who knows what, I pick up and hold onto until I get a handful, and then count the handful as 1 point. HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page