August declutter challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 222 Old 08-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
50 more items gone!! My mom is taking 2 big totes full of misc items that were sitting in my garage.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#122 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 12:47 AM

Got another 45 items done today -- 5 broken toys disposed of, and 40 old magazines (some dating to 1994 : ) boxed up for the "free table" at my mom's town's library.

I also found 8 or 10 old gardening magazines which I will probably add to the box tomorrow but am finding myself unable to toss tonight.

I started weeding through some toys I'd moved into the basement as part of a "rotation plan" and realized there are a lot that have been outgrown or simply not requested/missed. I packed all of them into a big bag but am not counting them until I make up my mind where they'll go (Goodwill, alleged incipient neighborhood yard sale, etc.)

Found a lot of other things in the basement which could also go.. candles from some "candle party" I attended 10 years ago (maybe those should be part of our emergency kit...), ugly Christmas craptrap out the wazoo, etc., etc., etc...

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#123 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 AM

I don't understand how I could drop off 3 bags full of items for charity, fill my recycling bins to overflowing, put two bags of trash in the can, and mail off a giant box of linens and towels to an MDC mom in need, and still have a MESSY HOUSE!

OMG there was stuff out of place in every room, it took me over an hour to put it all away.

*explodes, discreetly*

Ok I feel better now. At least the boy's room is still pristine.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#124 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 02:48 AM

Edited my post (#38). Twelve units down, three more to go!
#125 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 09:52 AM

I made my first visible dent in the basement catastrophe yesterday evening. The porch is now piled with boxes to be recycled, and I have my weekly carload of stuff ready for goodwill today.
I don't count trash or recycling in my 10/day goal, only usable items to be given away or sold. And I'm trying to spend at least 1/2 hour per day organizing, recycling, throwing away. If I go over my goal for one day it does not carry over to the next. I must still get rid of 10 more things the next day. But if I miss a day, then I must make up for it with 20 items the next day.
So far so good! This month is going great!

There is only a finite amount of stuff in the basement, right? Eventually it will actually be gone?! :

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#126 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 AM

veganf, you're tough!

I only got two more things gone, but we had a down day,so:

1 dress given to a friend who is much smaller than me and it fit her beautifully, so why was I holding on to it? I wasn't even emotinoally attached?!?

1 shower poufy thing that was well past it's last legs, and I have new ones :

So I'm now at 70/175. Not sure how much I'll get done today, as dh is working, but we'll see.
#127 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I don't count trash or recycling in my 10/day goal, only usable items to be given away or sold.
You're a better & more honest declutterer than I!

I don't count trash per se but I do count "finally trashed" things that were laying around broken. Some days I count recycled things but that's mostly to make myself feel like I've accomplished something on a thin day (should probably stop doing that.) To be fair, I don't count the recycling the daily newspaper or anything like that.

#128 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 04:19 PM

I just freecycled an 8 year subscription to Real Simple magazine...I had every issue dating back to 1999, when it was put out quarterly.

It was hard to let those guys go! That magazine has given me a lot of pleasure over the years. I had even purchased pretty cardboard magazine files at Ikea for storing them. But I don't enjoy it as much as I used to...I guess I'm in a different place. The lady who picked them up seemed very happy to get them, though.

My mother renews my subscription every year for my birthday, and this year I asked her not to. This is such a small thing, but it made me feel brave. Cuz, y'know, me n' Real Simple were a "couple" for more years than I spent with my 1st husband.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#129 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Yeah, I'm wavering about magazines too. Most of them get recycled without a second thought. And I'll be keeping Mothering. But I think I've decided to finally let go of my architectural magazines (huge Architectural Digests, but really aren't the styles out of date anyhow?!).
The big one I don't know about is National Geographic. I just don't seem to be able to part with the past decade's worth of those. When I had a bookcase designed where I used to live I had the bottom shelf built to the specific dimensions of NG.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#130 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM

I gave the "Old House Interiors" collection I had to my mom for the "free" table at her library. I had special storage thingys for them and everything but decided it was just time for them to go. I looked through them all last night and realized there were only about 4 articles I was interested in, and I wasn't interested enough to tear them out and be responsible for filing and storing them.

The stack of "Kitchen Garden"s didn't make it out today, though. I'll look through it tonight and see if there's anything I can't live without. :

#131 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
I will do the ten items a day from my (DH's basement. That place is a wreck. I need a dumpster!
my dh's room is a complete and total disaster. It's where the computers are at and I hate coming in here. The man blames the poor babes for the state of mess this room is in. I have pictures of what it looked like before we even had children so he needs to hush and put out the fire on his pants.

But, yes, I am in!! Somedays I just want to give away everything and have NOTHING. It seems so much simpler then.

But I can do 10 a day.
#132 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
I think I could meet this month's challenge just by recycling the incoming mail... today's count, 25 items, was entirely junk mail and paper scraps. :

Okay, 25 + 50 the other day + the 40 I had = 115/300!

Yay!

Recycling 10 pieces of junk mail just doesn't give me the same rush as eliminating 10 unused kitchen tools or 10 outgrown shirts, though. With luck I'll have time to dig around and do some *serious* decluttering around here soon.

Thanks, mamas.
I know what you mean! I got these two filing cabinets a while back and I have these two boxes of papers that need to be gone through. at least %75 percent of it is junk i know but the other %25 is stuff like car titles, marrige liscence, bills and other action items....Just has to be looked at 1 piece at a time but it seems like no matter how long i spend at it the pile just stays exectly the same. anyway, throwing out the junk mail helps keep the boxes from mating yk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I came to a horrible realization that has ground me to a halt. I realized that no matter how many little things I get rid of (which is mostly what I've been doing, and what I feel I can continue to do), it doesn't make much of a difference. And we currently have empty rooms (for future kidlets, etc.) that we will inevitably fill up with stuff.

I'm feeling pretty low about that. Any encouragement?

But I did get rid of one thing today. I'm falling behind. It's time to get cracking. I still haven't worked on my pantry.
Eventually you will weed out all the unimportant crap! try what goldfinch does (above quote) and tackle something big that you can SEE though. It'll make it so much easier to focus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
96/200. I threw out some dvds cases that I've kept despite the fact the the dvds themselves have been missing over a year. :
i have a box of cd cases sitting in the garage that i need to toss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
I just freecycled an 8 year subscription to Real Simple magazine...I had every issue dating back to 1999, when it was put out quarterly.

It was hard to let those guys go! That magazine has given me a lot of pleasure over the years. I had even purchased pretty cardboard magazine files at Ikea for storing them. But I don't enjoy it as much as I used to...I guess I'm in a different place. The lady who picked them up seemed very happy to get them, though.

My mother renews my subscription every year for my birthday, and this year I asked her not to. This is such a small thing, but it made me feel brave. Cuz, y'know, me n' Real Simple were a "couple" for more years than I spent with my 1st husband.

Holly
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Yeah, I'm wavering about magazines too. Most of them get recycled without a second thought. And I'll be keeping Mothering. But I think I've decided to finally let go of my architectural magazines (huge Architectural Digests, but really aren't the styles out of date anyhow?!).
The big one I don't know about is National Geographic. I just don't seem to be able to part with the past decade's worth of those. When I had a bookcase designed where I used to live I had the bottom shelf built to the specific dimensions of NG.
Magazines are hard! I have rolling stone and spin and various other music mags dating back to the 80's. Some I know I'll never get rid of. If I had shelves and cases I would love to have them out but right now they're at my mom's house.
#133 of 222 Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 PM

I haven't made much progress yet this month. I'm in the middle of 12 days in a row at work. so my energy is kinda zapped. but hopefully the schedule is changing for the better and soon.
#134 of 222 Old 08-12-2007, 12:21 AM

I got rid of 5 things today. Unfortunately, some of them had no place to go but the trash, but a few were recycled. I also got a couple of things put in their proper places from our move. DH also had a fire lit under him (and I didn't light it, so I don't know what happened! ) and got the garage cleaned up enough for his car to fit inside.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#135 of 222 Old 08-12-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
11 more today. 7 boxes, a broken hanger, and a couple of receipts. OH, and I popped DD's ball pit, accidently on purpose. It was ugly and I didn't want it anymore. So I stuck all the balls in a laundry basket and she is just as happy!

107/200.
120/200. 13 today. I recycled mismatching tupperware!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#136 of 222 Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I recycled mismatching tupperware!
This is a great idea. I hope to hit the storage drawer today.

Yesterday, I did NOTHING. Well, my dad and I disassembled the cribs and a safety gate, but we moved them into the garage so I can't consider them decluttered, yet. I am also putting together a yard sale list (there is talk of a neighborhood yard sale coming up; if it doesn't happen by the end of August I'm going to freecycle/donate my stuff...) but in terms of decluttering yesterday... NOTHING. I didn't even pick up at the end of the day. :

#137 of 222 Old 08-12-2007, 01:51 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just thought I'd mention this company if you have a lot to get rid of in a short amount of time:

http://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en/homepage.aspx

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#138 of 222 Old 08-12-2007, 02:24 PM

I took 1 huge box, 2 small suitcases and 1 big suitcase full of stuff to Goodwill yesterday....around 100 items.

Now to get that big furniture out....

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#139 of 222 Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Just Craigslisted a pile of river rocks and an iron railing and have people coming to pick up both. Whoo hoo!
#140 of 222 Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 PM

Is it too late to join? My house is a ummmm, disaster...to put in nicely I just found out that my parents will be here to visit in 4 weeks. Two of those weeks I'll be out of town! That leaves me two weeks to get my house totally clean. Did I mention DH is gone for job training : Which I guess could be a good thing. When I try to declutter with him around, most stuff finds its way back in the house So I'm trying to get this all done this week, so that the last week (DH will be home) we can just deep clean VS decluttering.

My Goals

-Totally clean office and declutter
-Totally clean basement and declutter
-Totally clean garage and declutter

I want to get ride of 500 things...be it paper, clothes...just "things".
#141 of 222 Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm finally getting somewhere! I just gave away all of our plastic dishes on Freecycle. Whoohoo!!! It was 64 pieces. The other day I also threw away about 10 things. So, I'm at 74/500 for the month.

We're moving this weekend, and I um, have yet to do much packing... Anyway, I'll be throwing out/giving away tons of stuff as I'm packing, so I have no fears about reaching my goal.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#142 of 222 Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 AM

I'm in. Last month I tried to target goals instead of counting and it didn't work for me at all. It's much more motivating for me to be able to count every paper clip I toss. So I'll shoot for 500 this month. We just got back from vacation yesterday and I purged 22 things (dd clothes, towels, a blanket, and a few toiletries that had been in dh's travel case). 22/500
#143 of 222 Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM

All right, weekend's over, time to get busy! I didn't get rid of one single thing this weekend. Shame, shame on me! But I'm going to make up for it today! I'm already sitting here with a big stack of paper that's going to the shredder and the recycle bin, so I'll start off the week with:

1 stack of paper, gone from my desk!
1 box of clothes to goodwill
1 big PT cruiser car thingy toy ditto
8 bags of cans to the recycle place (oh this is great fun, let me tell you about our recycling center...)
1 box of trash from around here and there

#144 of 222 Old 08-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Ugh, I just when shopping at the fabric store for no good reason (well, I had a 40% off coupon), so I'm gonna purge 10 extra items by tonight for the bag of fabric I brought home.

#145 of 222 Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Here's my progress report... I set my goal at 15 units, which I've surpassed. I kind of wish I had counted individual items, but I think that counting would really take away my momentum. This month has been an intensive room-moving, space shifting one, so progress this month is probably not indicative of what I'm likely to do in months ahead! Although, once baby is born and starts growing, I will be able to permanently ditch maternity clothes and anything he outgrows as he outgrows it!

Packed to take out of the house:
1 box of books to trade at the book exchange
1 bag of random household objects

Already donated/taken to book store:
1 boxes of books
5 boxes and bags of clothing and toys and random housewares
1 wicker CD rack
1 set of holiday mugs we never used

I gave away:
1 Costco-sized box of leftover milkbones from our dog that went to heaven

I have shredded the equivalent of:
1 file box of old papers

I have thrown away:
2 shopping bags of random debris out of medicine cabinets, nightstand, and son's dresser.

I have listed for sale on Craigslist:
1 canister vacuum

I have gotten rid of on Craigslit:
1 iron railing leftover from split-level remodel
#146 of 222 Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM

I tossed out three old candles that I don't plan on burning anymore. I also have 30 items that will be sold this week. On top of that, I've scanned in and tossed hundreds of photographs (I decided that I will simply have new copies printed as I'm ready to scrapbook certain events or put them into albums). But I haven't exactly counted each and every photograph, so we'll say 20 handfuls.
#147 of 222 Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 AM

I got rid of a few things over the last 48 hours, but I also brought some in, so let's just call it even, k?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#148 of 222 Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I got rid of a few things over the last 48 hours, but I also brought some in, so let's just call it even, k?
I know that feeling!

Well, our new carpet is in (yay!!! it's so pretty and clean and softer now), and almost all the painting is done, so it's time to move back in. I realized that even with all the decluttering we had been doing, we have so much cr*p. It took moving everything into the front room (not carpetted) and the kitchen for it to really dawn on dh and I how much stuff we have. So, I'm only putting back in the bedrooms and living room the things that belong there and have a home. We are sticking with the advice from Peter Walsh's book about the function of the rooms. If something doesn't serve the function and/or make it beautiful, it doesn't belong. Once the minimal basics are in, everything else is going to the garage and getting sorted - trash, store (for instance, we rotate toys in and out of the bedrooms, so a few things will get binned and stored neatly on shelves in there), or garage sale/Goodwill. And it is getting pretty easy for us both to say "garage sale/GW that item!" Dh also said he's been throwing things away like mad lately. So ... we are getting there.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#149 of 222 Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM

70/175

I cleaned off the top of the fridge today WooHoo! theoretically, only boxed stuff is supposed to go up there, along with disposable plates/cups/flatware for when we host large groups. But it had become a catchall. The final staw was today when a something slipped, knocking over and spilling an oatmeal container filled with yummy, made this week homemade granola and spilling about 4 cups onto my kitchen floor. I quickly was able to get rid of 48 items, including old cereal that we didn't like but I held onto "just in case", misc. papers, bags of valentine, halloween and easter candy, stale crackers that weren't very good to begin with, ziploc baggies of take along snacks that were now very stale, almost empty bubbles bottles, and a few pieces of kidart that were well past their prime (faded, ink had run, etc). The worst was that I found really good imported chocolate that had gone bad because I didn't know it was up there The only things I put back were foods we were currently eating out of, take out menus, and a few disposable items, neatly in my server basket. I still need to dust, but that requires climbing, and so will have to wait.

so my new total is 118/175!!

ETA: In the interest of full disclosure, I did pick up a few mostly kid books from the TP this weekend, so I suppose I will subtract that from my total when they come in. But ds2 LOVES books, and they will be perfect for him. I also got a decluttering one for me
#150 of 222 Old 08-14-2007, 04:19 PM

Hello everyone! I am new to these boards but I have been lurking the past 2 days while waiting for my account to be activated and I could not wait to post!

I am a clean and organized person. The thing is, I live @ home with my mom, older sister and younger sister and my older sisters 2 children(6 & 3) and Ohh myyy is our house a MESS! My room is the cleanest room in the entire house and I can't take it anymore! First off, my older sister is the messiest person I think you will ever meet(and she doesn't care) and on top of that, she doesn't make her kids clean up either(I'm the one that tells them). I need help! Our house is a disaster! I am ready for this challenge to declutter our home.

I started with reorganizing my own closet, which was clean except for my shoe collection . I gave away 10 pairs of shoes...now I have room for new ones .

I am glad to be apart of this and can't wait to move onto the rest of the house! weeee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page