August declutter challenge - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2007, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tossed out another 68 items tonight (mainly old clothing that will probably never fit me again or had holes or something, and a few items that I decided I just probably won't wear anymore; also an old watch that no longer works and some earrings that had lost their mates), bringing me to 228/300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 10:30 AM

I'm back in the hospital again, but before I had to come here yesterday morning I managed to get rid of 1 shopping bag full of junk, as well as 5 broken cd cases and 12 empty ps2 game cases. I might have to adjust my goal but hopefully this will be a short stay and I can still make it!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Yesterday I went through our entire bedroom. I lost count, but I know I got rid of at least 50 things, including a neck massager I forgot I owned, pillows we never use, old toiletries & lotions, clothing, knick-knacks, etc. New total = 205/500
Old 08-18-2007, 09:50 PM

cleaned out 2 closets today and cleared out the area where things always seem to get tossed on the counter last night. tomorrow is the junk drawer.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Updating my list!

Cleaned out of freezer:
2 bags of some very strange items.

Packed to take out of the house:
2 boxes of clothing and random household objects

Already donated/taken to book store:
2 boxes of books
5 boxes and bags of clothing and toys and random housewares
1 wicker CD rack
1 set of holiday mugs we never used

I gave away:
1 Costco-sized box of leftover milkbones from our dog that went to heaven

I have shredded the equivalent of:
1 file box of old papers

I have thrown away:
2 shopping bags of random debris out of medicine cabinets, nightstand, and son's dresser.

I have listed for sale on Craigslist:
1 canister vacuum

I have gotten rid of on Craigslit:
1 iron railing leftover from split-level remodel

My goal was 15 units of debris, and I'm at 17! Only really 16, though, since the vacuum has not sold yet. I'm getting ready to lower the price.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 PM

10 more items gone

whoo hoo

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I went through DD1's playroom today and managed to find two trash bags full of stuff to donate. : Actually surprised me because I hate clutter and usually keep things flowing though over house constantly, but got behind for a few months, stuff really piles up fast!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
73 today.
193/200. Soooooooo close!!
12 today. That puts me at (drumroll please.....) 205/200 : Woo-hoo! I never ever meet my goal LOL. YAY!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM
WNB

You ladies are incredible. I'm limping along telling my self "bulky item pickup!" but not really getting myself into gear to handle the non-bulky items.

Recycled a bunch more old magazines after pulling the bits I wanted to keep out (sadly, the weight of what I kept was vastly exceeded by the weight of what I recycled).

But then, what to my horror should appear after I so proudly disposed of the excess magazine clutter? Not one, but TWO new phone directory packages. GRRRRRRR.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 AM

I'm starting in the middle of the month so my goal is going to be 100 items.

So far I cleaned out the bathroom closets and cabinets and trashed or recycled items that were expired or old medications.

20 Bath Items
-------------------
20/100 Total
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Out of the hospital so back in the game!

Today someone is (supposedly, hopefully they don't no-show) coming to pick up from freecycle this baby bouncy contraption. So I can add that to my list.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:07 PM

We are down to the front room (which includes my hutch - yowzers!) and the kitchen as they were the two main staging areas for the carpet install. And we've hit a wall ... we are *so* close to being done and just sit here and stare at the mess. And the really bad part is, if I were actually to just do it, it would probably take no more than 2 hours total, probably closer to 1 and a few minutes. But here I sit staring. The goal, though, is to have it done today. I have bills I need to pay, so my hutch has to be done. I want the kitchen table back in the kitchen, so that's getting done ...

Well ... after those two areas, I forgot we have to finish the outside. Our front porch looks disasterous because it was the clean-up area from the garage sale. Not much is on it, but what is on it is again just staring us in the face. We have probably in excess of 10 of those big plastic storage bins that are empty (YAY!!!) from everything we sold and then gave away at the garage sale. We have decluttered, I would estimate, in excess of 650 items (OMG to realize we had that much "stuff" to get rid of and not even notice it is gone is kind of embarrassing ), and we have a bit more to get rid of (mostly down to just trash now). So ... today is the day of reckonning (sp?) for us. It is time to face our nemesis and have our house decluttered and beautiful for probably the first time since we moved here 2 years ago.

The ironic part, though, is since my computer is in the front room, which is so cluttered right now, I don't want to spend time out here. I don't want to see the clutter that I need to deal with. So, I'm not spending nearly as much time on the computer and I'm actually *gasp* accomplishing other things like planning our hs'ing year, folding laundry, putting away cloth diapers when I take them out of the dryer ... I guess the computer really does suck my time each day! :

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 08-21-2007, 03:38 PM

I finally went through the rest of the kids' clothes and donated 2 more bags to the homeless shelter. I still can't believe how many clothes my kids have. I could probably donate another 5 trash bags and still have too many clothes.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM

Wow! And I totally know what you mean about the sheer amount of clothes. My boys seemed to have enough T'shirts to get me out of laundering them for a month. It seems whenever the grandparents go someplace, they like buying the boys T'shirts. Granted, it is better than some senseless "toy" but they eventually take up a great deal of space in the drawers!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 08-21-2007, 05:50 PM

When I set out to declutter purposefully it always amazes me how much stuff we have and accumulate. Really compared to the average American we have a lot less yet we still have lots and lots of stuff that we don't need and can be gotten rid of. Anyways...
So far today I've got 20 cleaning items to be donated. Most of it is refills for some kind of bath wand thing that we don't even own.:

40/100 Total
Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 AM

I've totally lost count. We've purged a ton since we're having some work done on our house. So I'm going to just assume I've met/exceeded my goal this month. : At any rate--and most importantly--I'm finally starting to feel okay about the house & it's state of clutter. None of the rooms have "homeless" items strewn about the floor or tables. The clothing is totally under control. And it seems to be quick to clean up/pick up. I'm certainly not stopping, but it seems like my months of decluttering have finally made a noticeable difference. I'm sure I'll do another big purge when the house work is completed, probably in a month or so. Then maybe I can just focus on maintenance. Yay!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:21 PM

Yay for maintenance! I hope to be there someday... But for today, it's still massive decluttering because we still have entirely too much stuff.

So, today I rid myself of:

1 shopping bag full of trash from upstairs, collected from various rooms
1 box of moth balls, unopened and still stinking up the place
1 bottle of toilet cleaner that I can't use
1 Winnie the Pooh christmas thing that hasn't seen daylight for 2 years at least
1 Daffy Duck christmas thingy that also hasn't seen daylight for 2 years
1 book on paperbackswaps I'm off to the PO but I'll probably request another in return so probably shouldn't count that...
2 folders full of papers from my grad school days
3 maps of FL (never even been to FL have no idea why I have maps!)
1 giant rubbermaid container full of old toys that haven't seen daylight for a long time

ETA: I know where I get this hoarding behavior from at least. I called my mom and mentioned taking all those clothes to the homeless shelter, and she got MAD at me! What if my kids need those clothes? You just never know! I have an attic, I should use it! I assured her those kids at the homeless shelter needed them much worse than my own children do; we have plenty more.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Having selected "basement" for my September challenge, I had a sudden need to get down there and work NOW (must be because the rest of my house is so perfectly clean... : ) so I spent about an hour down there today.

Oy. Vey.

Um... a bag full of NIP clearance Halloween items (not candy! ) SIL brought us two years ago. Original boxes for items purchased when the kids were born (2004.) Original boxes for wedding gifts (1999.) Boxes containing nothing but packing peanuts and invoices (2004 & 2005.) Boxes containing nothing at all. Old chipped and stained china I bought at a flea market in, I don't know, 1992, and used to use as "shabby chic" bathroom storage. Stained-glass-making tools from a class I took before the kids were born. A dress I wore for Halloween in 1994. Fabric scraps up the wazoo. Hand-me-down kid things we got before the kids were born and then never used. The list goes on and on.

I broke down all the boxes for recycling, threw away all kinds of non-recyclable plastic packaging (: -- I think I was hanging on to it because I couldn't stand the fact that I had to throw it away...), put the fabric scraps I could bear to part with in some of the sturdier plastic packaging (bag-type packages with velcro closures) and set them aside for the yard sale. Actually, I set a LOT of stuff aside for the yard sale. I think if the neighborhood yard sale doesn't happen I'm just going to have my own!

I discovered lots of boxes of old papers and bills and stuff down there. I guess going through and purging all that stuff might be my September challenge.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM

Too funny about the Halloween stuff, that is so me!

Today I'm doing great! I tackled one kitchen cabinet, and got rid of:

1 box of nicotine gum (expired) from one of dh's many attempts to quit
1 box of nicotine patches, also expired, ditto
2 half finished cross stitch projects that, realistically, I will never get to (this was hard to admit and hard to get rid of)
2 bags of trash, old papers and such
5 old cables, telephone wires, etc.
1 stack of "artwork" from the kids, I saved the best
1 old shoebox, no idea why it was there
5 books that I can obviously live without

AND
1 baby spider ( ) okay didn't really declutter it, but was proud of myself that I took it outside and released it rather than a). run screaming or b). squishing it

ETA:
1 thomas puzzle
2 stuffed bears
1 small box of junk
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Ten more items are making their way out the door tomorrow - I'm donating an incomplete set of plates and bowls to the friend of a friend.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 AM

Yesterday my husband ordered a 8'x13' dumpster delivered to our driveway!!: If you opened the garage door you couldn't take a step inside--totally packed from front to back...it is now empty aside from some yard tools, a bicycle, and 2 Rubbermaid bins of old tax forms that my husband is required to keep for X years for his business...oh, and a toboggan that we'll be yard-saleing shortly. And we also emptied about 15 boxes from the basement, moved some furniture out that we want to yardsale/Craigslist. The dumpster is FULL and will be removed tomorrow afternoon. And we have a huge pile of cardboard to be recycled. And a few more boxes for goodwill. I'm thrilled that my husband has followed my lead and then some! There is light at the end of my decluttering tunnel!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Yesterday my husband ordered a 8'x13' dumpster delivered to our driveway!!: If you opened the garage door you couldn't take a step inside--totally packed from front to back...it is now empty aside from some yard tools, a bicycle, and 2 Rubbermaid bins of old tax forms that my husband is required to keep for X years for his business...oh, and a toboggan that we'll be yard-saleing shortly. And we also emptied about 15 boxes from the basement, moved some furniture out that we want to yardsale/Craigslist. The dumpster is FULL and will be removed tomorrow afternoon. And we have a huge pile of cardboard to be recycled. And a few more boxes for goodwill. I'm thrilled that my husband has followed my lead and then some! There is light at the end of my decluttering tunnel!
Good for you, mama! I don't have a garage, and maybe there's a blessing in that....I'm amazed at how much I've gotten rid of already. You really don't realize how much stuff you have until you start trying to get rid of it! I'm certainly glad that I won't have to move all of that extra stuff, though!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
I had eight more things picked up for Freecycle, and I'm expecting many more to go today!

208/500
Another 150ish things gone, mostly to the trash (oops, we forgot to count! ). I did have some Freecycle things picked up, but I had some flakes, so that only accounted for about 10 of that. We had a lot of TRASH stored away in boxes, for some reason...:

358/500 Getting closer!!!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:50 AM

I went through the bathroom closets and cabinets even more thoroughly and tossed, donated, recycled 25 more items.

Total 65/100 Items Gone
Old 08-26-2007, 04:02 AM

I have continued to get rid of some things, but since I met (and exceeded--woohoo!) my goal this month, I stopped counting. I have passed on some books to a friend, thrown away a bunch of rags that were too holey to even be rags anymore, tossed a few more plastic glasses that had an icky texture, and got rid of some more toy pieces. I also basically finished my office, but I did end up putting some boxes in the closet to deal with later. There just isn't enough time to get through it all before my classes start Monday, and since they are distance ed, I need my office fully workable. I did buy some books from the TP, but even subtracting them from my total, I stayed above my goal. These threads/challenges are really good in keeping me accountable as well as mroe aware of what I buying/keeping/passing on. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 AM

I've got rid of oh, 30 items today? Technically a little more than that, but there are some items that belonged together that I just counted as one. I'm less than 40 items away from my goal. I hope I can do that in the next week, but even if I don't, I'm really proud of myself for getting rid of so many items in just one month! You really don't realize how much stuff you have until you start getting rid of it....and have to pack the rest for a move! I never dreamed I'd actually find this many things I really could do without, but I'm so glad I have. I have many more items that I hope to get rid of in the next few months, but I'm trying to sell a lot of stuff and since we rent, I can't exactly have a yard sale, so I have to rely on a local forum I participate in. If worse comes to worse, I'll try Craig's List, but I'm not particularly comfortable with that (as those are complete strangers, and the forum I participate in is all mommies, and I've met many of them), and I don't have the time for eBay, what with all of the trips to the post office I'd have to make. Thanks for the motivation, everyone!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Okay, just found you all and decided to jump in.

Luckily, I've been keeping tallies anyway (because that's just the way I am.)

Between giving stuff to Goodwill, books to the library and LOTS of baby stuff to my sister-in-law I count about 403 items.

But then, if I figure in all the recycling and shredding from cleaning out some file drawers, plus spare box recycling and plain-old junk in the garage, I'm looking at a total of around 1800 things I've had to lay my hands on and make decisions about and get rid of this month. : Where does it all come from??

Which reminds me, when you all are keeping your decluttering count, how do you figure in the new stuff you bring IN to the home each month? Clothes, toys, books, whatever... Do you subtract from your total, or just kinda let it slide?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradiata View Post
Which reminds me, when you all are keeping your decluttering count, how do you figure in the new stuff you bring IN to the home each month? Clothes, toys, books, whatever... Do you subtract from your total, or just kinda let it slide?
I let it slide. Being on a pretty strict budget, we don't bring in too many new things each month, so when we do, it's something that we actually need and/or will use, so I don't count it as clutter as it has a purpose.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 PM

I am in... I plan on cleaning out my bathroom cabinet. I know there are tons of outdated stuff. also cleaning out my food cabinets and throwing out all old food and taking inventory for the frugal meal planning thread. I know I could RECYCLE lots of paper stuff too if I get to that.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Well, late but am joining. My goal? When the movers come, we just found out we are moving, but wonderful navy, we don't know when, the movers say, are you serious? This is all you have? Yep, that my goal. I have dreams at night that somehow all the stuff in our garage just somehow disappears. My husband is working lots and his office and garage looked horrible and I am not sure how to go through them. I have already gotten rid of a huge garbage bag of clothes for my girls, and I think I have one more from my closet. But I also have to do this on top of getting a house ready to sell, and taking care of three kids. I am super mom, I can do it!!!
Umm, wish me luck too please. We are supposed to list the house ina week, and where am I right now?

User Tag List