August declutter challenge - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 222 Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pradiata, My accounting for new stuff is similar to stace's. If it is something we need or is functional, like new clothes, it doesn't count unless it is "extra clothes" that aren't really needed. For example, my IL are coming next weekend and I expect they will bring lots of little toys that clutter us up, so I will count those or at least try to part wtih a simmilar number to keep the balance about the same. my kids have too many little toys, and I keep packing up the ones they don't play with, but haven't gotten rid of them yet. I am in school to be a speech pathologist, so I will actually recycle a lot of them into my teaching materials, and plan to use the little things as prizes. OTOH, the kid's books I ordered of of the TP I did count against my decluttering, since they were strictly for fun (plus, I have a book obsession, so it really works against me : if I use my get rid of toequsl method because I never do )
#212 of 222 Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM

ok as evidenced by my sig i have really done nothing this month but i am going to make an effort these next 2 days...

i probably won't meet my original goal but we'll see

i did just trash 14 pieces of paper, which is my focus this month so i'm going to edit my sig now ok done, see i really haven't done much.

maybe this post will help me be accountable:
#213 of 222 Old 08-30-2007, 03:19 PM

FINALLY took 4 big boxes of dh's darkroom chemicals and 2 old printers to the dump for recycling yesterday - they've been hanging around for years! No more nasty corner in the garage to keep ds away from. Hooray!
#214 of 222 Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Oh I so fizzled out. I'm not going to make my 310 goal, but I'm not going to feel guilty as I had another hospital stay and recovery in there so 180ish is not too bad. I'll do better next month!
#215 of 222 Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 PM
WNB

I had a spurt of de-cluttering energy last night and got rid of...

Extra phone books
A cookbook I'll never use
dead re-chargeable batteries
a hand mirror inherited from somewhere that was never used
(except I'm thinking now it might have been used by my DP... uhoh)
some old correspondence
several past-dated magazines
some ancient tea that I didn't like
some ancient spices that were way past the "use by" guideline

And the bulky item pickup happened So the garage is now emptier of 2 toilets and one non-functional de-humidifier.

I might go try to find the mirror, but everything else is gone gone Yay.
#216 of 222 Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM

I didn't think I'd do it, but I've actually exceeded my goal! We just went through the cabinet we keep in the kitchen and set aside for recycling three phone books (since the new ones are about to come out) and a whole bunch of old medicines and such that were expired. : I also tossed out three old candles earlier, and some pieces from a bag of DH's that he doesn't want. Oh, AND I finished typing up all of my old poems so I can shred those loose papers, and also finished scanning in all of our picture prints and tossed those (I think I mentioned this earlier, but I plan to simply reorder prints as I'm ready to scrapbook and/or organize into albums, they were all just getting ruined sitting around in boxes).
#217 of 222 Old 08-31-2007, 01:37 AM

Well, after decluttering the upstairs and middle floor, I threw everything down to the basement...ANyway, I went through the basement today, 1 big bag of garbage, one misc bag of junk to goodwill, one bag of mine and dhs clothes and one bag of my girls clothes that will be gone through at playgroup tomorrow and the rest taken to goodwill.
Now my goal changes to

going through our book
and : the dreaded garage
hopefully our house will be ready to be put on the market by next week
#218 of 222 Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Another 150ish things gone, mostly to the trash (oops, we forgot to count! ). I did have some Freecycle things picked up, but I had some flakes, so that only accounted for about 10 of that. We had a lot of TRASH stored away in boxes, for some reason...:

358/500 Getting closer!!!

Okay, I stopped keeping track, because there has just been so much going on, especially with decluttering, but I am absolutely positive that I made it to 500!

500/500!!!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#219 of 222 Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 PM

OK OK I'm going to get off my but and go through some papers NOW: I'll check in at 7pm. send me ya'll
#220 of 222 Old 08-31-2007, 07:39 PM

now i've cleared out what doesn't even belong in here, so i can really get to work. i'll post my actual count later - it'd just slow me down now.
#221 of 222 Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 PM

well its seven and i am really on a roll no way i'd ever have tackled this without ya'll :

unfortunately for my de-cluttering, the wee ones need to eat now, but "Ill be back"
#222 of 222 Old 09-01-2007, 12:54 AM

: : :

Well its 11:30 and my total tonite is 123 items de-cluttered!!!

the breakdown is
21 envelopes trashed
3 credit card statements filed (actually more but the others got put in my "papers filed" colum because i forgot i was keeping them separate)
3 pieces of my kids artwork displayed
5 coupons walleted
2 instruction manuals filed
1 junk mail packet trashed (again realy more like 3 or 4 or 5 but got put in the general "papers trashed" colum)
42 papers filed
24 papers trashed
4 objects trashed
5 objects out the door (some relocated, some donated)
3 newspapers recycled
12 objects put away
1 pile straightened
1 file created

i should admit that the filing i did was all to my "temporary file" which is just and alphbatized expanding file folder; eventually that file wil get transferred to the "permanent files" in my filing cabinets.

i am so but also really proud of what i did in just one night. i wish i had worked harder this month but i feel really focused for september!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page