Managers of their schedules/chores? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use these resources? they are from teri maxwell at titus2.com? I just bought them and think that her ideas sound wonderful...however, I am finding it very hard to implement.

Our problem is our every changing schedule. We simply don't do the same things everyday. Some days I have births, prenatals, or nothing. My daughters have cheerleading, play practice, ice skating, church activities and youth group, other days nothing.

if anyone has used this, could you share your experiences and maybe your schedules or chore lists (pretty please)?

If there are others out there using this and working through making up schedules and chore lists, maybe we can start a tribe or maybe if I am lucky, a tribe already exists?

I have tried to search through the search engine, because I think this has got to be here somewhere, but i have absolutely no luck, I must not be doing it right or something!
#2 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 01:35 AM

I think it may actually be called Managers of Their Homes.
#3 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 AM

There is a Manager of their Homes and a Manager of their Chores (I believe that's the name of the new book). I haven't used it myself but I know people who have and have liked it.

I'm not sure if we'll use this particular resource when the kids are older but we'll do something with assigned cleaning tasks, etc. My kids currently think I'm their personal maid and it's going to change! They need to be responsible for their own mess!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#4 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 12:12 PM

I've read good reviews, but I haven't tried it. Right now, my kids are little, so this is what I use for ds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/100_3756.jpg

It's working for him pretty well. I also have a rough schedule of how I want things to go hanging on the side of our fridge so that I can check into it. I try to schedule all appointments for the morning so that we can keep with the same routine. It doesn't always work out, though.
#5 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Is there still a message board for support on their forum? There used to be , but I think you have to register that you bought the book from them in order to use it. I had this book several years ago, and while I liked the ideas, I am way too relaxed to want to schedule every half hour of every day. Every day was not the same at my house either. I think this plan would work well for a large family that does not have many outside activities. If you have a husband/significant other, be sure they are agreed to this. I recall reading one lady's story about her schedule. She would get upset if they got off schedule, but her dh wanted to do things spontaneously so it caused friction for them. In my case, I am better off with a list of things to do for the day rather than a set schedule. Perhaps a "rhythm" of the day instead of a schedule.
#6 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
I've read good reviews, but I haven't tried it. Right now, my kids are little, so this is what I use for ds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/100_3756.jpg

It's working for him pretty well. I also have a rough schedule of how I want things to go hanging on the side of our fridge so that I can check into it. I try to schedule all appointments for the morning so that we can keep with the same routine. It doesn't always work out, though.
I love it! Did you make it all by yourself? It looks like a magnetic board, isn't it?
#7 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 02:06 PM

I love their books! I am working on setting one up right now

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamangazelle View Post
I love it! Did you make it all by yourself? It looks like a magnetic board, isn't it?
Thanks. It's just one of those small magnetic whiteboards with some ribbon that I stuck on it. I just printed out the other things and ran them through my Xyron (it laminated them on the front and magnetized the back). There are many ways you could do it, though. He's only 3.5, so this is about all he needs at the moment. He loves to check his chart, though.
#9 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

I like your board, cool. However, trying to schedule 7 people with very different schedules and needs makes that almost impossible.

what we hope to do is to create a few schedules, one for my prenatal days, one for normal weekdays, and one when dad is gone all day.

Angelbee, maybe you can post yours when you get it done. I think if I get a few more people, we could start a tribe.

i did send in my registration for it and look forward to their forum, but I would also like to talk about it with other mdc mamas.

my kids are excited, they want to get stuff done, spend time with mom, have free time, know when they are assigned to watch little ones (and know there is an end), know that free time will mean free time, etc. I think it will end lots of squabbling and complaining.

we expect to have lots of margin time and flexibility because our schedules are very different, it simply can't be the same every day!
#10 of 14 Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Is it the same every Monday, Tuesday, etc? Maybe you could make up a poster board with the schedule for each separate day and then rotate through them?
#11 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 AM

Wow - I may have to check into the Chores book...I didn't realize there were two!
#12 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 05:53 PM

We have both the Managers of Their Homes and Managers of Their Chores books and love them. They really complement each other. You have access to the forums after purchasing the books. They are a big help in dealing with more difficult things like different schedules each day, husbands who work strange schedules etc. The Chore book has not only been good for the kids but for me personally in figuring out what needs to get done, how often and when. Its a bit pricey to buy both up front but they are worth the money.
#13 of 14 Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM

I have both books and am working on our schedule right now. I made one up to start last week, but it is not working so I am trying to work out the kinks. I am still figuring out how I want to do the chores.

Honestly, I have had the MOTH book for 5 years and we have never been able to stick to half hour blocks, so I made bigger blocks like 1 hour for Table Time for school and a dinner hour instead of half hour to eat and half hour to clean up this time. It helps because I can get schedule bound and then I get so frustrated becasue we are off schedule. Every time I have had a new baby, I had to start over. I am not giving up, however, I know I can get a routine going for our family if I can discipline MYSELF to stick to it.

I love Vanessa's board but would need 4 of them. : I still think it might work if I put them in their bedrooms for just their chores.

I somewhere read the idea to make up a different schedule for each day if you have many variable activities. I think I got the idea from Large Family Logistics. I am working on doing that for my home management binder.

I would be intererested in a tribe or just a thread for support.
#14 of 14 Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Mary...I may do 1 hour blocks for now too. Or 45 min and 15 min blocks (chores during the 15 min blocks...... Trying to keep myself motivated)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page