Shoe storage in the entry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all -- I'm looking for something to stow away shoes in the entry. I want something closed (but ventilated) and it can only be around 3 feet tall because we have coat hooks hanging above it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what about a small bench/storage chest

then you can sit on it while you put your shoes on too

you could always drill some vent holes in the back or bottom
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Old 08-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganRiley View Post
what about a small bench/storage chest

then you can sit on it while you put your shoes on too

you could always drill some vent holes in the back or bottom

Just a note of warning. We tried this with a bench my Grandpa made. The entire back was holey so the ventilation should have been adequate. When you opened it, the smell could knock you out!! But maybe the men in my life just have really smelly feet

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)
Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Milk crates held together with zip ties. They are kind of ugly, so you'll probably want to drape the sides and/or back with some sort of lightweight, natural, breathable fabric. You don't even have to sew, you can just safety pin it on.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Along the lines of the milk crates, I was going to suggest a wicker laundry basket. I saw this at a friends house and thought it was a good idea. I just have a small rug to put shoes on.

B.
Mama to : July '06
Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 PM

I was thinking you could use a plain-jane bookcase, if you could find one at a garage sale or thrift shop. Take off the back and drape a piece of fabric over the front. You could glue it to the top front of the case.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvourlives View Post
Just a note of warning. We tried this with a bench my Grandpa made. The entire back was holey so the ventilation should have been adequate. When you opened it, the smell could knock you out!! But maybe the men in my life just have really smelly feet
that is too funny!

one more tip...get rid of all the shoes in the off season and store them somewhere else...so at the front door you only need 1-2 pairs per person for daily use
Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM

I have a shoe shelf that has a taller are underneath for boots etc. and then a shorter shelf at the top. I got it at least 12 years ago, so I don't even remember where I got it. I think a book case would work just as well. for some reason, I don't like the idea of mixing everyone's shoes together in one basket.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM

The best thing I have used so far was a large planting pot. Wasn't closed, but it was easy to toss them in. Yes, shoes were buried at times, but the frequent ones were on the top.

Might go back to that, when I have the pot again. DH isn't one for putting away or agreeable to thinning the shoe stash. Tossing however....that is easy
Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 AM

we use a linen lined basket with a hinged lid i found for a smokin' price at Tuesday Morning! we have no trouble with odor. i just have to dump the sand every once in a while! (we spend a lot of time at the park!)
Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Our Entry

We don't wear shoes in our home so shoes always were tossed next to the front door. We keep our main storage of shoes in our bedroom closets but everday off and on shoes go here.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:16 PM

We have a bench that mil was giving away and underneath I have 2 cloth baskets, looks kinda like this but they were $10 for 2., one for boychik's shoes and one for fae's shoes. I have a wicker basket next to the bench for my shoes.

DH leaves his shoes wherever he takes them off.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 AM

I just got a closet type door shoe holder at a thrift and hung it on the wall (didn't have the hooks to hang from the door plus we have a glass panel in in so wouldn't want to cover it, it seems to be working good, it only has 12 pockets which for us- me and 2 small kids (dad wears work boots, and he only has one pair so if he's not here his shoes aren't either) all our shoes fit, their shoes are so little that they only need one pocket for pair and my sandles and flip flops are combined into 1 pocket per pair.

You could sew one if you didn't want to buy, use netting though for the pockets, this one is made with plastic/vinal but for 10 cents - I'm reusing!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMinHawaii View Post
Our Entry

We don't wear shoes in our home so shoes always were tossed next to the front door. We keep our main storage of shoes in our bedroom closets but everday off and on shoes go here.
Our entry has ended up like this, except we have our baskets on the floor under a console table. I was hoping for covered/lidded baskets, but the open ones were on sale much cheaper! I had originally started looking for a storage bench of some sort, but couldn't find one I like at a decent price, so I decided to 're-purpose' a console table we had in another hallway and put baskets under it. I like it much better and it was much less expensive, and as a bonus, moving that table really opened up a narrow hallway for us.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :

User Tag List