Mothering Forum banner

Time Management (and spending too much time on the computer)

666 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  superstella 
#1 ·
I really enjoy my computer time each day. I visit another message board and MDC. I learn a lot and visit with friends. My problem is that my computer time is creeping up and I seem to have a hard time stopping. I get home from work at noon and think that I'm not going to go online until I've played with the kids a bit and done some cleaning. Then I decide to just get online for a few minutes. Except my few minutes turns in to a long time. Before you know it, I've missed time to clean because my kids need me and then I have to make dinner. I'm thinking I may need to set a timer for 30 minutes or something (or two 15 minute times) and when the timer goes off, the computer goes off, no questions. Any other suggestions for curbing computer time?

Also, I'm trying to figure out if a scheduled day is best or if a "just winging it" day is best. I like things to be organized and clean. I've tried so many cleaning schedules (certain things on certain days) but I don't stick with it. I'm not sure if I just haven't found the right schedule, or if I should be more scheduled (certain times of the day to do certain things) or if I should just forget it and see what happens. Right now I'm stressed out when I see I've failed to do the scheduled things each day.

#2 ·
Hee hee. You sound like me, so indecisive.

Set a timer. It is a good reminder of how long you've been doing something. If you're trying to get yourself to be more productive, set the timer for 30 minutes. When it is up, set it again (for an hour or whatever), clean, cook, play with kids -- then switch on to something else.

If I'm needing motivation sometimes I use the computer or books as a "reward" -- do some housework, sit down and have a cup of coffee and read. Or coffee and check emails. Time can fly away on you when you're on the computer.

As far as scheduling -- give it a try. Or start with a list of things you want to accomplish for that day. See if you can get them all done. A list allows a little more flexibility than a schedule, but still reminds you of what you need to do. And if that means that your list looks like this:

- computer for 1/2 hour only (break for a bit, and come back)
- play with kids for 1/2 hour
- 2 loads of laundry
- cook dinner (example dinner here)
- go for walk

That's fine. And it feels good to mark things off the list. Accomplishment!!

Best wishes.

#3 ·
Sometimes when I'm in that indecisive, mad at myself, gotta get stuff done, but don't wanna, I'll make it into a game. I'll list 5 top priority chores plus one fun activity (i.e. browsing on the computer). I'll number them 1-6 and then throw a six-sided die to determine what I'll do for the next 10 minutes. I'll set the timer for 10 minutes and then go to work. If I'm within a minute of finishing the chore when the timer goes off, I'll give myself the extra minute to finish up. Otherwise, I'll stop and throw the die again.

This may not be the most efficient way to get work done, but it's kind of fun, I actually do get things done (as opposed to procrastinating by staying on the computer the whole hour or two that I have to get things done), and I just get a good start on making a dent in the grand scheme of things.

Bobbie

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by koalabob View Post
Sometimes when I'm in that indecisive, mad at myself, gotta get stuff done, but don't wanna, I'll make it into a game. I'll list 5 top priority chores plus one fun activity (i.e. browsing on the computer). I'll number them 1-6 and then throw a six-sided die to determine what I'll do for the next 10 minutes. I'll set the timer for 10 minutes and then go to work. If I'm within a minute of finishing the chore when the timer goes off, I'll give myself the extra minute to finish up. Otherwise, I'll stop and throw the die again.

This may not be the most efficient way to get work done, but it's kind of fun, I actually do get things done (as opposed to procrastinating by staying on the computer the whole hour or two that I have to get things done), and I just get a good start on making a dent in the grand scheme of things.

Bobbie
Hey that sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.