Simple Living - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i think that "living simply" sometimes means that you've scaled down a notch. although u may not live as simply as others, if u look at your life now vs. last year, last month, whatever, and see that you are living more simply now than you did then, then that is a step in the right direction.
I agree that it is very much a journey. If I look at my life now I am striving to simplify things but when I look back I realize I really have come a long way.
#32 of 33 Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
i think that "living simply" sometimes means that you've scaled down a notch. although u may not live as simply as others, if u look at your life now vs. last year, last month, whatever, and see that you are living more simply now than you did then, then that is a step in the right direction.
That makes a lot of sense! In some ways, my life has become more simplified -- I hang out my laundry (which I LOVE for some reason!), use cloth bags at the grocery, make my own bread (albiet in a Zojirushi bread machine but I did find it for $10 at the thrift store) and various other little things to pare down. I haven't set a goal, since I see it more as a journey, but what I am trying to teach my children (and remember myself) is that we should take what we need and not more than our fair share. If everyone simplified a few things in their lives, they would be better for it and so would our planet. Then, everyone wins! Cheesy but true.
#33 of 33 Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 PM

I agree, Erin, that key element to simple living is only using/consuming what is necessary. I think striving to learn about ways to reduce what is necessary is also a large part of never-ending journey of simple living. I personally hold up honest-to-goodness homesteaders to be the best example of truly simple living.

I have been trying to work to that end within my means as we'll probably never live on a true homestead. Over the past 10 years or so, I've been learning (in small steps) how to rely less and less on modern life. Learning to can and put food by, sew, cook without modern conveniences, how to live off of the land (I am far, far from being able to do this, but it is part of the journey and I'm better at it now than I used to be), repairing instead of junking things. I think that the less complicated life gets, the better it gets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page