*Update* Holiday Grand Plan Challenge: Week 5 Entry/Foyer - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 139 Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in! Late starting but wanted to bookmark this.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 139 Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
haven't finished reading yet but i'm in. i've never been really organized. i'm so excited to start!

sarah
#63 of 139 Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Week two is about the living room and asking yourself questions about why you celebrate the holidays you do, and why you celebrate them in the way that you do.

I am DONE with the patio, and it looks great.

Here's my list for this week:
Here's my list:
  • * Wash the drapes.
  • * Organize the cardboard recycling (which DH has stuffed in our fireplace for some weird reason)
  • * Deep clean the carpets
  • * Wash the cushion covers
  • * Organize the storage compartments
  • * Wash the walls and baseboards
  • * Organize the books
  • * Shine the mirrors and the glass in the pictures
  • * Dust the mantel
  • * Organize the mantel
  • * Wash the hearth

There's also a specific thread about week two here.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#64 of 139 Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Last week I rebuilt the front flower bed (dh had dismantled it to fix it when he had time off for our two month old's birth), planted bushes in it, laid down Preen, and put rocks on top. It looks really nice. I painted the front door a nice bright purple and replaced the screen in the storm door with the glass panel (so much nicer). Dh dethatched half of the yard and put down grass seed. He plans to tackle the second half next weekend. I've been tackling the garage. It accumulates everything I declutter from the house. Dh hates walking out in it (even decluttered) to put trash out, so he just throws stuff out there. So, I'm taking all of those remnant carpet pieces (we had to replace carpet after a flood right before the baby was born) to make paths for his delicate feet to walk and actually go out there (did I mention he can't put tools away either?)

I told dh I was going room by room and area by area to get the house finished. He is great at getting projects 85% done and then stopping. He is on board this time.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#65 of 139 Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm in!!!! I'm a little scared (organization is not my strong suit) but I'm in!
#66 of 139 Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM

OK, I just checked out the Holiday Grand Plan website and that looks really cool. Hopping in and catching up.
#67 of 139 Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 PM

Okay, I've decided I need to keep posting to keep my momentum vs. just reading along.

Last night I made my list cleaning my living room and I started cleaning/punch lists for the other rooms in my house.

Today I:
-cleaned the ceiling fan.
-washed the inside of the LR windows (couldn't get the sashes to tilt in and our screens are still up)
-washed the TV screen
-vacuumed the corners of the LR
-spot cleaned the floor in the LR
-vacuumed out the shelves where the toys live
-added flour and sugar to my shopping list for baking

I still need to cull the toys and find a basket/vessel to start our dress up collection in.

I keep looking over the questions and have a difficult time answering them. I should spend some time on that.

Yahoo! We're on our way!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#68 of 139 Old 09-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Transferring my list from the other thread:
(finish edging flower beds)
1. Clean and condition leather √ completed
2. Hang shelves on couch wall √ completed
3. Declutter dresser √ completed
4. Find new place for jewelry √ completed
5. Sand and oil coffee table √ completed
6. oil and clean corner cabinet √ completed
7. declutter inside of corner cabinet √ completed
8. STEAM CLEAN CARPET!!!
9. wash (or just air fluff if not machine washable) valance √ completed
10. Throw pillows?? √ in process
11. Dust blinds, pictures, and all knick knacks √ completed
12. Re-consider mantle knick-knacks √ completed
13. Refinish sewing table √ completed
13b. upholster chair to match sewing table
14. Clean under furniture and dust baseboards √ completed

I took a bit of a detour (okay, a BIG detour) today and found the floor in my closet. I didn't do any decluttering because I'm going to wait until master bedroom week to do that, but I have been doing laundry and the closet was seriously so bad I couldn't see putting the clothes away in there, so I rearranged everything and found the floor, which is nice .

I'm off to do something on my list for the living room, though I don't know what .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#69 of 139 Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Solutions?

So, I've got the dvds under control. I wiped down the walls, cleaned the bamboo "matchstick" blinds (still need to launder the cafe curtains though), dusted the mega-ivy that grew from an itty bitty ivy plant, and dusted/decluttered the shelves.

Since the living room is also 2.5yo dd's play space and dining area I did a quick reduction in her toys. I'll do another tonight after she is in bed. The "behind the couch" table is actually two cheap unfinished wood three drawer dressers from IKEA places side by side. This gives dd 6 drawers for dress up clothes, nap time blanket/pillow/buddy, toys, books, etc.

The problem? Since they are unfinished (plain wood) dd took it on herself to "decorate" them with a few crayons. They're a tad hideous as a result. I'm thinking it might be fun to paint them out and paint them with black board paint (we have some in our basement...we don't have the budget to buy anything new right now). I could also paint them with left over wall paint in any of 4-5 different colors. Or I could just leave them as is!

Any ideas? They're not sure visible once you're in the room but they're what you see through our front porch windows...so if you're sitting on the porch (which stayed lovely and clean for about 2 days before a 4 toddler playdate did it's thing) it's what you see when you look in.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#70 of 139 Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 PM

I think the blackboard paint would be a good idea...DD could "color" and then when you want it to look nice again for a few minutes, you can wash it off. I found I had issues with the chalkboard dust when we had blackboard paint on the wall, but as long as it's a small amount of chalkboard in a place that gets swept often, I think it'd be okay.

I've cleaned my corner cabinet, inside and out. I really want DH to oil it tonight. It's 150+ year old cherry and used to be in our dining room near the kids seats. It got washed so much when we were in that house that it's really looking dry. And DH is much better with the linseed oil than I am, so I'll leave that to him . I was supposed to declutter it, but really everything in there is something of value to me...my mom's china (which I rarely use anymore, but I have tried to bring myself to get rid of many times and I just CAN'T, so I keep it neatly stored in there), the kids artwork I want to keep, some scrapbook-type stuff that has never made it to scrapbooks...I did get rid of some things from there, but mostly I just washed everything and took a trip down memory lane.

Now, on to the dresser that stores all of our craft supplies, games and movies, I guess...*sigh*

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#71 of 139 Old 09-05-2007, 05:04 PM

After the "crayon incident" we got water washable crayons...so any finished surface is now cleanable. It's just that these are unfinished so other than sanding the crayon wont come off. I hate chalk dust too (though I craved the smell of chalk dust during my second pregnancy, which was really odd) so maybe I'll use room paint on most of it and the chalk board paint just on the top or just on one or two drawers? Hmmmm.

What I'd really like is for dh to put anaglypta up on the ceiling and touch up the paint on the walls, but that's not in the budget this year!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#72 of 139 Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM

I'm officially feeling like the worst housekeeper in the history of the world. :

I've been working on the living room today and since I had a tub of oil soap out to clean the corner cabinet, I went ahead and wiped down everything that was wood or looks like wood for the first time in my life. I grew up in an Endust/Pledge home, and I don't use that stuff, but here I've been thinking my swiffer duster (yea, I know was enough. Nope, it's amazing what good old fashioned SOAP and a microfiber towel can accomplish!! And the best part is I'm not super-sneezy like I usually am after cleaning (I swear I'm allergic to cleaning--or at least to how I've been doing it!!). I talked to DH and I think we're going to try to cycle through the Grand Plan 3x per year, then end with the Holiday Grand Plan. I don't need to do this every week or two, but more than once a lifetime would be good, I think .

#73 of 139 Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 AM

I finished the front area last week, not really much to do out there.

Living room, so far I have only accomplished cleaning off the top of the entertainment center and cleaning the blinds and front windows (which are now covered in hand prints again but at least the top is clean right ). I still don't know where to put my sewing machine and serger though. They are on top of the entertainment center. I found a home for all my fabric and notions and other misc sewing stuff that was up there but the machines are so big I can't find a spot.

Tomorrows list is to finish dusting and cleaning all the pictures, get the desk area straightened, and take down the pirate happy birthday banner left over from March.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#74 of 139 Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Ack! The week is ending and my list isn't finished. Things to do after apple picking today!

How is everyone else doing?

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#75 of 139 Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
Ack! The week is ending and my list isn't finished. Things to do after apple picking today!

How is everyone else doing?
i signed up late so i'm doing still week 1 stuff. i decided today that i will have to start the living room after it's too dark to work outside. : so much to do...

sarah
#76 of 139 Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 PM

I'm pretty much done with my list, but I haven't gotten the beds edged yet. I think I'm going to carry that over to "entry" week since we don't really have an entry way to work on next week. I also need to steam clean my carpet, which I've been putting off because I know as soon as its clean someone or something will pee/poop/vomit on it and I really don't want to deal with that .

I need DH to cut me a piece of plywood for the chair for the sewing table, but it's just not happening .

#77 of 139 Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 PM

Power tools are fun Tell DH he's on kid duty while you chop your hunk of wood.

I'm totally sucking on my list. I actually forgot about it. :
#78 of 139 Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
Power tools are fun
Normally I agree, but I'm just not good with a circle saw. Plus I'm not sure where he's stashed my scrap of plywood in his shop. :

#79 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 AM

So we were out of town, AND I found this a week late so now I'm two weeks behind! This is a little daunting to me but I think I can catch up. I'm going to focus on whatever week we are on and then if/when I have extra time I am going to work on the things in the weeks I missed.

I'm also due in December so I'm not sure how much I will get done at the end or what is feasible for me to get done while pregnant but I'm going to give it my all. I want the house to be CLEAN when the baby comes.

Well so far I have just made my lists. Not sure how much actual "holiday" we are having this year considering the due date but at least it got me thinking about it.

#80 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 12:17 AM

This is just what I need to make sure Christmas doesn't sneak up and attack me from behind again, LOL! I guess I'll be jumping in starting week three? Or do I go back and play catchup with weeks one and two?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#81 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 AM

I think jumping in on the week we're in, then doing what you can to "catch up" later is a good idea. I'm going to be out of town for up to a month and miss the Master Bath/Linen, Kitchen, and a couple of others. But the panty/closets week and the attic/storage and the garage/storage weeks will provide me plenty of time to catch up, since we don't have a pantry and I'm doing closets as I go, we don't have an attic and DH would FREAK OUT if I decluttered his shop, which is the closest thing to a garage that we have.

So, it'll all even out in the end, I think, if you just jump in on week three .

#82 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 AM

Two weeks and I'm already behind! I want to get one week completely finished so I can take it off my list.

Week 1 - Front Porch
• sand & paint the front door (This was last year’s project!)
• replace burnt out light bulbs in house lights and landscape lights
• wash the windows – around the door only √ completed
• remove or replant pots
• weed landscaping √ completed
• split daylilies, iris, lambs ears, & coral bells saving for spring
• move coneflowers √ completed
• plant ornamental grasses √ completed
• trim woody shrubs – will have to wait until late Sept
• replace mail box – not really front door but it looks awful √ completed
• install new ‘fish’ landscape light purchased at an art fair
• take down the HUGE spider web I’ve felt too bad about removing √ completed

Week 2 - Living Room
• vacuum the drapes (I’ll take them down & have cleaned when we paint)
• wash the windows √ completed
• clean the French doors √ completed
• dust piano, remove finger prints and buff out scratches √ completed
• remove, dust, and wash items in curio cabinet and credenza; clean all glass √ completed
• dust and wash baseboards √ completed
• dust pictures √ completed
• clean mantel √ completed

Week 3 – Foyer/Entry
• dust mirror, pictures, bench, chair and desk
• wash the windows
• scrub grout ???
• I’d like to paint the oak parts of the staircase black – but I have too many partially completed projects already...we'll see
• clean light fixtures
• dust and wash baseboards √ completed
• clean staircase √ completed
#83 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Well I just started today. These are my lists and this is what I have completed so far today. I hope to get some more done tonight and catch up in time for next week!

Week 1 - Front Porch:
*clean off welcome mat √ completed
*sweep front porch √ completed
*weed pots and flower beds √ completed
*re-mulch √ completed
*pressure wash whole area √ completed
*clean window
*trim bushes and plants

Week 2 - Living Room:
*clean sliding glass door √ completed
*dust picture frames √ completed
*clean under couch
*clean leather furniture with leather cleaner
*reorganize toys
*declutter toys
*clean baseboards √ completed
*go through junk drawer √ completed
*fix corners on table (child-proofing) √ completed
*clean TV screen √ completed
*retouch paint √ completed
*fill nail holes √ completed
*repair broken baseboard √ completed
*wash rug √ completed
*wash throw pillows √ completed
*dust fan √ completed
*clean play kitchen √ completed
*deep clean floors
*clean connecting doors and door frames (dust from air vents) √ completed
*clean wood with cleaner √ completed

#84 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Sooo...it has been raining cats and dogs for three days straight so no painting has happened. And this morning we found a lot of water in our previously bone dry basement so our attention is a bit split! However DH is at the store right now picking up a welcome mat (also supplies for fixing the basement issue) so I'm hoping that will be crossed off the list soon.

I haven't gotten as far as I hoped in the Living Room but it's a very heavily used space...we eat, play, hang out, nap, live in there! So it's hard to keep clean/organized. I think I'll just roll in a lot of this week into next since we have a very old craftsman style home and the living room and entry foyer are seperated only by two half walls with columns. So I'm going to count them as the "same" space!

DH and I also sat down with the "questions" and are feeling confident that we're on the same page in regards to the holiday season.

Week One: Front Porch
--wash down porch pillers and railings (sorry spiders!) DONE
--dump and refill dd's sandbox with clean sand (and no "china" toys) DONE
--remove garden produce (super sized zucchini must be processed!) DONE
--clean porch chairs and table DONE
--remove dead stems from hanging ivy plants DONE
--install new porch light fixture (has been sitting in a box on the porch for months)DONE
--finish painting porch ceiling (has been half done for over a year)
--sand & stain front door (another "over a year and still not done" job)
--find a new welcome mat

Front Garden:
--trim holly bushes DONE
--remove dead stalks from hostas DONE
--tie up climbing rose DONE
--secure loose downspout

Week Two: Living Room
--organize dvd collection DONE
--remove visible clutter, organize shelves DONE
--dust shelves and remaining "nick nacks" DONE
--wipe down couch, armchair, ottoman, side tables DONE
--clean windows and glass on the entertainment unit DONE
--clean molding and woodwork (ick, I hate doing this!) DONE
--paint dd's toy storage dressers
--install anaglypta ceiling paper
--clean out ceiling lamp shade
--wash curtains and steam clean rug DONE
--mop floors DONE
--wash bamboo blinds DONE
--reduce dd's toy collection, organize her books/art supplies DONE

#85 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Here are my carryovers
Week One:
I'm still working on most of my lists::
Gifts and budget
Christmas Card List √ in process
Parties/Entertaining √ completed
Halloween Party Menu
Christmas Menu
Thanksgiving Menu
Weekend after Thanksgiving Menu
Goodies for Giving (and who to give to) √ completed
Frozen Meals list (love this idea for Christmas eve and the day before Thanksgiving!)
Goodies to Give Shopping list √ completed
Shopping list for each menu
Shopping list for things to make
Decorations to make
Supplies for gifts and decorations to make
REALISTIC list of home to-do before Thanksgiving

Front Porch:
1. Complete edging front beds

Week Two:
8. STEAM CLEAN CARPET!!! √ completed
10. Throw pillows?? √ in process
13b. upholster chair to match sewing table

Week Three:
Entry:
1. Sort and organize sewing closet (DH has promised that if I empty this closet, he will install a desk for my serger and embroidery machine)
2. Hang pictures from the box in the sewing closet
3. Find picture for entry wall
4. Paint Front door black
5. Wash door mat
6. Hang fall/Halloween wreath (YIPEE! )
7. Scrape lebel residue off of storm door
8. Finish edging beds

Holiday Prep:
1. Complete Holiday Goody list √ completed
1b. make one batch of Holiday Goodies. √ completed
2. Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL
3. Locate supplies for extended family gifts
3b. begin work on those.
4. Complete Halloween party menu √ in process
4b. make invite list √ in process
4c. choose date √ completed
4d. begin work on invitations
5. Locate Halloween decorations

#86 of 139 Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

It's week three! We're working on the entry/foyer and holiday prep.

Entry and Laundry Closet
  • Organize and declutter shoes.
  • Organize and declutter winter accessories.
  • Organize and declutter mail/landing strip.
  • Sweep.
  • Mop.
  • Wash the walls.
  • Clean the laundry closet.
  • Have DH hang the dryer correctly.
  • Organize cleaning supplies on rack in closet.
  • Find a place for DH's myriad of hats and flannel coats.

Carryovers
Mostly from last week. I was so busy with birthday party fun, that I didn't tackle the living room. :
  • Wash the drapes.
  • Organize the cardboard recycling (which DH has stuffed in our fireplace for some weird reason)
  • Deep clean the carpets
  • Wash the cushion covers
  • Organize the storage compartments
  • Wash the walls and baseboards
  • Organize the books
  • Shine the mirrors and the glass in the pictures
  • Dust the mantel
  • Organize the mantel
  • Wash the hearth

Holiday Prep
  • Research CSA gifts.
  • Pick out holiday cards.
  • Plan gifts to be made and buy supplies (if necessary).

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#87 of 139 Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM

So, adding to the carry-over list...

Week Three: Foyer/Entry
--frost glass in the front door
--clean woodwork (ugh) DONE
--clean staircase, especially between the spindles DONE
--weed out summer shoes/"dead" shoes from shoe tray DONE
--vacuum rug and upholstered benchDONE, mop floor
--organize dd's art table DONE
--clean windows DONE
--repair holes in wall (made when we re-wired)
--cover ceiling with anaglypta
--change seasonal decorations on our "family welcome altar" DONE
--find proper homes for the clutter that washes up in the foyer DONE
--hang some sort of art on the stairwell wall
--move piano to foyer (a real maybe on this one)

#88 of 139 Old 09-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
--move piano to foyer (a real maybe on this one)

Wow...you must a have a really large foyer!
#89 of 139 Old 09-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
It's week three! We're working on the entry/foyer and holiday prep.
i just joined last week and i'm trying to catch up all at once (we have too many rooms to skip any weeks). but i guess it's better to be tired now than to be insane come the holidays. : i feel like just using other people's lists; mine get too long.

porch remaining:
weed all plamting areas and trees
rebuild stone edgings around trees
mulch all planting areas and trees
wash windows
wash siding
collect extra gutter thingies (the thing on the ground for the run-off)

i've been pulling up and moving as well as weeding the side yards. how is everyone handling your side yards? what about the back yard?

living room:
pulling curtains down today to wash
wash windows
wash walls and baseboards
clean furniture
move some knick-knacks to dining room and a couple more to the basement
print and frame pics of dd for our "ode to dd" table :
vacuum out window frames
seal windows (requires going to buy silicone)
sweep/mop floor

our living room, dining room and fouer kind of almost run together so i'll just keep moving from one side of the house toward the other.

sarah
#90 of 139 Old 09-10-2007, 05:29 PM

dbsam

Our house is a craftsman style home built around 1912. You can see part of the foyer in this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatclay/1298103681/ (dd1 is dancing in the foyer, facing the living room, front door just barely visible to her left) and in this one ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatclay/1249858753/ ) dd1 is running from the foyer into the living room...you can see the stairway with the billion spindles just starting on her right.

The plan is to put the piano along the wall at the base of the staircase so it's the first thing you see as you enter the front door. It's just about the only available wall right now!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page