Yard Sale or Donate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As part of the August decluttering challenge, I've been setting aside things to include in a neighborhood yard sale (allegedly happening sometime in August or September.)

I now have an upstairs "yard sale pile" in the hallway, a downstairs "yard sale box" in the dining room, and not one, but TWO, "yard sale areas" in the basement... and as the piles grow and the boxes become overstuffed, I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't make more sense just to donate this stuff NOW rather than hang on to it until such time as the sale actually happens. [I'm not involved in planning the sale, it's more of a "friend of a friend" thing, so I can't really push the issue very hard.] I could have my own sale, I guess... or I could just donate the stuff and be rid of it.

Anyone have this experience? What do you recommend?

I also wonder about saving out the 'best' items to include in the yard sale and/or consign, and just donating the rest.

Thanks.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Well, I have a "yardsale pile" too, and it has been around for about 2 years. It grows and shrinks as the sales come & go or our yia yia is shopping for the fam again (a lot of her gifts go right on the pile...sadly). This year, after my sale, I am going to have the goodwill come with their truck and take it away. I'm going to choose the best things to save for ebay, but everything else is going.

I would hesitate to decide what are the "best" items for a yardsale. You'd be surprised the junk people buy that I would have thrown in the trash... to each his own!
#3 of 12 Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would donate it and get rid of it NOW.

The last time I had a yard sale (with my parents when I was a teenager) wasn't worth the effort. We put a lot of work into preparing for the sale and hanging out all day during it, and we didn't make that much money. It definitely worked out to less than minimum wage- and we STILL had to donate more than half the stuff when we were through.

Now, I might sell something particularly nice on eBay or the TP (or I might take to a consignment shop if I could locate one) but the bulk of the stuff gets given away within a week of deciding to get rid of it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#4 of 12 Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM

I've never had a garage sale because it seems like a lot of effort. Since you're on a roll I'd go ahead and just donate it if I was you. Sure, you won't get that extra cash but at least that stuff will be out of your house.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#5 of 12 Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 PM

I don't yardsale. I put it on craigs list for some cheap amount and after a week donate what is left.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#6 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 AM

if it is really driving you crazy, then get it out of the house. otherwise, wait until the end of Sept, and it the sale hasn't happened yet, then consign and donate. it may be easier to go ahead and donate and consign cause if it doesn't sell at the yard sale, then yu'll have to box it back up to donate or consign.

::
#7 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 AM

i vote for the yard sale, but only because we always seem to have such luck with ours. my mom and i had one twice in the spring for about 3 hours each time. we pocketed over $1,300! one man's junk is another man's treasure!!! it can be a lot of work, but it can also be a lot of fun too. invite a friend to do it with you and hang out in the shade with some drinks, food, and music. then call a charity to pick up the leftovers when you're done. who knows, it may be completely worth it!
#8 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 AM

I participated in one group yard sale and was very disappointed in the lack of $$ in relation to the amount of time I needed to invest in gathering, transporting, setting up, etc. Never again.

I do agree with the other poster, I could not believe the cr_p that sold first while things like full sets of new-ish dishes, lamps, etc sat all day. We ended up donating 70% of our stuff, which was fine.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I could not believe the cr_p that sold first while things like full sets of new-ish dishes, lamps, etc sat all day.
Well, I've got plenty of cr@p... maybe I'll hit it big!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'm still not totally sure what to do. I think I'll make one last inquiry into the yard sale; if there's no date set, I may just have to get rid of the stuff without further delay.

#10 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 12:00 PM

If you only have to haul it to the front yard, it's gonna be worth it, even if you only make a $100. I don't do ones where I ahve to haul it anywhere else. Up the basement steps is enough for me!
#11 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, another good point. I will have to haul it out the front door and across the street... how much is it worth for me NOT to have to do that (& possibly haul it back to the car...)

Lots to think about.

#12 of 12 Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 PM

I've done a lot of yard sales. They are a lot of work, but for me they tend to be worth it. We usually average about $300. This year, however, I am taking some things to consign and donating the rest just because I have a lot on my plate and don't feel like doing all the work for a yard sale. It just depends on how much energy you're willing to expend.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page