September Decluttering Challenge! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad you're feeling better about things goldfinch! Honestly, it has taken me months to get even close to where I want to be. And that's OK! You just have to take it slow, and I really do think that counting items helps you realize how far you've come.

I did another 9 last night- 173/300/

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
I tossed 45 clothing items into the goodwill pile! YAY! Now, too bad I can't find a goodwill anywhere in my area. I put the box in the living room, so I am hoping that will motivate me to find a home for it.
Ali -- what about freecycle? Could you list that box of clothing on the internet? Then someone could just come pick it up from you.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:57 PM

61/100

The numbers are Sept. dates that I worked on that area.

1. Filing Cabinet 1 2 3 4 -- DONE!
2. Closet in the nursery 5 6 12 -- DONE!
3. Storage Garage Outside 8 -- DONE!
4. My daughters' clothes 15 -- DONE!
5. My clothes closet 18
6. Garage
7. Closet in the Guest Bedroom
8. My desk
9. Kitchen Cabinets
10. Bathroom Linen Closet

Watch out closet...I'm coming your way today. :

Old 09-18-2007, 05:05 PM

just took a catalouge out of the mailbox and dumped it directly in the trash

remind me to update my sig tonite
Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Ellen -- You should take it a step further.

Take that catalogue out of the trash and call the 1-800 number for ordering...then ask them to take you off their mailing list.

One more piece of trash you won't ever have to handle again.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:34 PM

68/100

5. My clothes closet 18 -- DONE!
6. Garage
7. Closet in the Guest Bedroom
8. My desk
9. Kitchen Cabinets
10. Bathroom Linen Closet
11. Toys in the Playroom 18

I'm on a tear today. My clothes closet was easy because I clean that out every three months...all the too small clothes are now on their way to Goodwill. Yahoo!

(Alas, there are never too big clothes...only too small ones )

Toys in the playroom...you are next. :

Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 PM

I haven't updated in a few days. Between Saturday, Sunday, Monday and today, I've purged another 35 things. Some items include a stained shirt, an empty shampoo bottle, an empty hand lotion tub, catalogues (did I spell that right? ), pile of mail, the top of a box of hair dye (not even mine) and some bibs of DS'.

I plan to do a lot tomorrow - it's clean the house day! MIL is coming to watch DS so I can catch up! She'll only be here 4 hours and I figure I have at least 400 hours of stuff to do!!

New total:

172/500
Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM

3 more books, SOLD and mailed
That's about all for today. I'm so slacking.

146/250
Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 PM

73/100

6. Toys in the Playroom 18 -- DONE!
7. Garage
8. Closet in the Guest Bedroom
9. My desk
10. Kitchen Cabinets
11. Bathroom Linen Closet

Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Ellen -- You should take it a step further.

Take that catalogue out of the trash and call the 1-800 number for ordering...then ask them to take you off their mailing list.

One more piece of trash you won't ever have to handle again.
you know, i think i will. it was the most god aweful kids holiday crafts. we don't even celebrate holidays and besides i have plenty of recyclables on hand for crafting, i will never need a craft kit.

just sat down with my big box of paper whilst waiting for kurt to finish up on the computer and filed away about 25 pieces of paper, trashed 5 pieces, and created 2 new files.

so counting the catalouge from earlier todays total = 38 papers dealt with

sig updated

eta -

oh and i won't count it but i decluttered my mdc subscribed threads the other night too
Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 PM

I got through more stuff today. Mostly scarves and gloves, some garbage and a gigantic pile of recycling. I told DH that he has to go through his coats, hats, scarves and gloves, he told me he did and I said "you really want to keep 5 scarves???" He's the worst pack-rat ever!! We're going to have a little chat tonight.

My new total is

198/500

Almost half way there!

I have to confess something though: MIL keeps buying junk for DS. She got him 5 new pjs (he didn't need them), a new toy (also didn't need) and this awful vinyl/plastic placemat with pumpkins on it (1. I hate Halloween : 2. DS doesn't know it's Halloween b/c he's only 8 mos. old, 3. He doesn't sit at the table). I returned the pjs and got stuff we actually needed. The toy I let him keep, he seemed to enjoy chewing on it. The placemat, well, I'd like to toss it but I know she'll come here and ask for it. Wonder how long I have to keep this around... And I'm NOT counting any of it against my declutter totals b/c it's not my fault! I've asked her repeatedly to stop but she thinks I don't give him enough and she's making up for my lacking parenting (the lack of stuff I give him is only the tip of the iceberg. She'd have a field day on here. : )

OK, enough ranting...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 PM

michelle - A placemat for your 8month old. Does it fit his high chair? I guess you don't have to keep it past halloween but I don't know if I'd keep it that long. And no, definitely not your fault.

ellen- I really need to declutter my mdc subscribed threads, maybe you'll inspire me... nah, probably not!

I'm lazy today, was up all night with 2 sick kidlets so I'm allowed. I took a nice, long nap while dh took care of them though, so I'm feeling better. I did manage to get to the PO and mail off 3 books I sold on Amazon overnight, so that's 3 for today. That's probably about it lol.

Oh wait, I also mailed out a bunch of scrabble letters and a national geographic map to another mdc mama. so 2 more things. For a total of 5. For the day. Meh. What a lazy week.

151/250
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
michelle - A placemat for your 8month old. Does it fit his high chair?
No, it doesn't fit. Neither did the pjs!! They just throw their money away. Is there a way to politely suggest that insteas of buying junk I don't need, maybe they can just give m cash???

Hope the kids are feeling better soon!!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Ali -- what about freecycle? Could you list that box of clothing on the internet? Then someone could just come pick it up from you.
The freecycle group here is very inactive. I've posted many nice things, and haven't been able to get rid of anything.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 PM

Freecycle here is slow too. I have a long list of stuff on there now and nobody's come. Oh well. This Sunday it's all going to Salvation Army. I want all this junk out of my house! I'm very not motivated right now b/c everything I've already decluttered out of the "house" is all on the enclosed porches. Not much better : . After this weekend I'll be able to clear my head again and get busy cleaning out stuff. I think tonight I'm going to clean out some papers in the office. This is the only room I haven't touched at all yet and its bad.

I ordered some new stuff too (oops!) so once it gets here I'll be throwing out all DD's sippies and hauling off the loads of plastic shopping bags stuffed in a cabinet. I have new hemp shopping bags, produce bags, KK water bottle, and KK sippy cups coming! Yeah!
Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM

Freecycle here is pretty slow too. Although I've had good luck so far with giving my stuff away, the first to respond has always shown up to pick it up.

I'm heading out the door with a giant box of clothes to mail off, about 30 shirts I think. I'm going to be conservative and count it as 20 since I didn't physically count them, just guesstimated.

171/250
Old 09-20-2007, 05:39 PM

I think I officially reached my goal today. I gave away about a million cans from my garage to be recycled, not to mention the 5 bags inside the house. I also got rid of 2 pairs of pants and 3 shirts that don't fit anyone at the moment. AND I went through the big bin catch all thingy that sits beside my bed and threw away 2 magazines and a whole lotta junk. So I'm going to leave it at

250+/250

for now. That said, however, there is still plenty of time remaining in Sept. and I think I can get rid of another 100 things. But for today I'm just going to change my siggy and enjoy looking at that goal met. Tomorrow I'll up the ante .
Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM

while kurt was on the computer, i just went through a ton of stuff from my big box of papers. i'm guesstimating 50 papers filed to temporary filing, and 100 papers trashed.

i also mentally sorted out some things for sale, not counting in my total just yet though.

so new totals are 661/2000
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM

We cancelled plans and stayed home sick today...most of us have a terrible cold, fever, aches, etc. But somehow I couldn't stop myself from working on the back bedroom. I moved ten large bins out to the shed, and moved the crib and changing table to the garage in anticipation of Craigslisting it.

I went through a number of boxes and tubs of "random" stuff and put things into my new desk wings (I have a corner desk and finally brought the wings out of storage). My goal is to have EVERYTHING in or on my desk, and possibly one file drawer, but NOTHING in storage or waiting for me in boxes. I cannot even describe how much I have downsized my "office stuff" - I probably had like 10-15 boxes full of stuff when we moved.

I have separate tubs for photo stuff; that is a whole nother decluttering issue, separate from the desk stuff. Also I have a small tub of special stuff of mine that should eventually be decluttered or downsized into my desk.

A couple of nights ago I managed to stay up "late" and get some work done in the garage. That was huge. I hope to do a whole big chunk more tonight.

All that is left in the back bedroom is one box of "to-do misc" that really probably mostly just needs to be recycled. I hope to blast that box to bits tonight. And my sewing stuff (and the dreaded photo project that just has to wait, LOL).

Also I cleaned out my car and packed it up for the swap shop, where I'll go on Saturday.

Yay, me!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gave away 2 baby blankets. Returned 5 tupperware to friend.

40/200

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM

I packed up/counted more yard sale stuff and I also through out a lot of junk (box of old, broken, stale taco shells anyone?). I condensed two open tubs of oatmeal, through away expired coupons that were in a pile. I threw away a bunch of papers and other assorted junk.

New total: 270/500

Tomorrow is the yard sale. This stuff is GOING!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:58 AM

My updated to-do list for the rest of the month:

Go through 2 boxes and one drawer of "to-do misc" and get it to fit in one drawer - with a list and action plan. Actually do some of the things on that list.

Sort through, declutter, and fit into one storage tub: sewing supplies in back bedroom.

Sort through and declutter paperwork related to volunteer breastfeeding counselor position. Reduce to one drawer. Give resulting empty file drawer to DH for his clutter.

Put away three "tubs of stuff to put away" in garage.

Drag shopvac out to shed and vacuum.

Hallway closet.

Motivate DH to declutter his unnecessary stuff out of back bedroom, move his necessary stuff from middle bedroom to back bedroom, and turn middle bedroom into kids' room.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Yikes!

Only nine days left in this month.

Okay, today the garage must be tackled.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM

73/100

6. Toys in the Playroom 18 -- DONE!
7. Garage 21
8. Closet in the Guest Bedroom
9. My desk
10. Kitchen Cabinets
11. Bathroom Linen Closet

Today = the Garage. I can put it off no longer.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM

Well, I haven't been on here much this month, what with the move and my son's birthday and all. I also stopped counting stuff after awhile....but I feel pretty confident that if I haven't already met or exceeded my goal, I've at least come pretty darn close.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:18 PM

i'm off until monday and i'll definate be doing some serious de-clutterinfg because...

We're moving next month!!!! (back to my mom's to save for a downpayment on a house) so we'll have basically two rooms to put most of stuff in. (and those rooms are already full of stuff that i've de-cluttered to her house )

: : :

i think maybe i'll start now.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:10 AM

Whoo hoo! freecycled 6 books and 2 toilet lid covers, 1 bath rug, 6 hand towels, 6 bath towels and 3 washcloths. Only 625 more items to go to meet my goal!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 09-23-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
Glad you're feeling better about things goldfinch! Honestly, it has taken me months to get even close to where I want to be. And that's OK! You just have to take it slow, and I really do think that counting items helps you realize how far you've come.

I did another 9 last night- 173/300/
At least 50 since last check in. So, 223/300. Getting close!
Congrats on meeting your goal superstella!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 AM

Best unexpected thing we did this weekend was when I sat down and talked with DH about my mental list of "stuff to get rid of or keep." I basically confirmed with him that we could get rid of a whole ton of big things - some we'll try to sell, some we'll give away, but the bottom line is, I have my list and I have permission to attack it! It includes big stuff like scrap metal (gutters), a dead Ford truck, a motorcycle needing repairs, a woodstove we'll never use, four strollers, a changing table and crib, three four-drawer-file-cabinets, a crappy wooden cart, and a bunch of smaller things. Okay, so I didn't actually get rid of them yet, but the decision has been made and for us that's the hardest part. I am so excited - it will be a PITA to photograph, list, and sell things, but it will be so wonderful to get them out of the house and I bet I can make enough money for Christmas this way.

Also I moved around some furniture (this is extremely rare for me, LOL) and have a new perspective on everything. I feel inspired to 'rotate' some more toys to the garage. We don't have a ton of toys, but the available space for baskets in the living room is smaller now (also I cleared off the hearth for the winter, so that removed some space). If the kids ask for something back, I'll just bring it back out.

And wishful thinking, but I am waiting for new technology to (affordably) make our DVDs and CDs obsolete so we can get rid of all of them. Techology and our budget are not quite there yet, though.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM

I freecycled a ton of stuff yesterday and this morning.

*plastic storage bin thingy
*an old computer
*tv armoire
*entertainment center
*swing for swing set
*3 pairs shoes
*fondue set
*fryer
*tv stand
*box if dishes
*xmas tree
*bag of sewing stuff
*box of cd's
*mini golf set

That was stuff that was just sitting in a corner in my garage. Can't wait until I tackle the house! (after I empty the garage)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

User Tag List