September Decluttering Challenge! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
didn't do as much as i wanted to last night. i went to bed early instead. :

but i went over to my moms todaay and went over with her whats going to her house and whats going to be sold or stored.

i think she's as excited as i am at the prospect of a large scale de-clutter.

i still need to go through baby clothes again but other than that i'm kind of stuck on household stuff until i start hauling stuff out for the yard sale.

not gonna mess w/ e-bay/tp/other online stuff. too much trouble to take pics, post info....maybe for some of the diapers i've got that are extras but not for anything i can just yard sale.

dh and i have talked about some of the things here that we want to get rid of and i think we're pretty much in agreement on most things.

still going through papers...trashed maybe half a dozen papers and half a dozen broken little toys last night. created 1 file just now, created 1 filing project last night (i put olivia in charge of some of her schoolwork) i guess thats 14 to add to my totals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 06:54 PM

I didn't post a goal at the beginning of the month, but I lurk a lot, and I made an informal one - to get rid of our dining table by the end of the month. Well, I haven't done it, but I did just list it on craigslist! So at least I am moving in the right direction. I also wanted to get my husband to declutter our old VHS tapes. Not much progress has been made there.

I also got rid of two old lawn chairs that were on our balcony. I just put them out beside the dumpster for my apartment building, and they were gone fifteen minutes later! Some people were dumpster diving and picked them up. So easy. I also started cleaning my balcony (does that count? Decluttering dirt and bird seed remains?).
Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
At least 50 since last check in. So, 223/300. Getting close!
Congrats on meeting your goal superstella!
42 today! And just when I think I am getting really close I realize how far I have to go.

And honestly, I hate to say this, but I am to the point where I almost just want to throw all my things away that I have set aside for charity. I know that's bad, but I can't figure out what to do with them, and I just want them out of my house. :

So, 265/300. And a mess in my living room where I am finally getting around to unpacking the last of my stuff from my move in August!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 AM

What a disgrace my decluttering yard sale became! There was a 10% chance of rain, it was supposed to be in the 80s. Instead, it was pouring by 11 and probably in the low 70s, if that. We ended up running all the stuff down the drive way in the rain, piling it in the garage. So now I have to start over - re-sort, etc. There was stuff I was going to chuck if it didn't sell, and stuff I was going to ebay. It's all mixed up. And, some of it is ruined b/c it got too wet.

So, I'm knocking myself back to 100/500 and I'm going to make this the September/October decluttering challenge. I'm so annoyed, I can't even think about it.

And DH really isn't on board with the whole thing. He thinks it's silly and that I'm trying to get rid of perfectly good stuff. I'm trying to explain that we have TOO MUCH STUFF in TOO MUCH HOUSE! We don't need all of this. In fact, all of this is making our lives stressed... ugh... I have my work cut out for me!!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

Hi. I am starting really late but I need to get rid of a lot of stuff so I am starting today with less than a week until the end of the month. I am getting rid of 50 things and just to motivate myself, if I succeed, I am having a spa day to reward myself for all my hard work. (Not just decluttering hard work, all over life hard work.)

Anyway, so far I gave away 4 sets of computer speakers, one keyboard.

I also recycled one small trash can full of stuff.

6/50
Old 09-25-2007, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm joining this thread a little late but I know I need the motivation. My home is a disaster and so needs a major declutter. Last night I went through the closet of things with no home and cleaned it out. I'm going to shoot for 400 items. It's a higher goal for me but I need to have a challenge or I'll just putter.

SO far 142/400

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
Old 09-25-2007, 03:54 AM

DECLUTTER: 45/100 items

1. Home office - desk - DONE
2. Home office - filing cabinet - Drawer 1 of 2 done...
3. Home office - 2nd desk/floor/closet - Making good progress...
4. Our bedroom
5. Our closet - Started...
6. Bathroom closet
7. Rubbermaid bin in DD's room
8. Bureau in DS' room - DONE
9. Living room shelves - DONE
10. Pantry
11. Washer/dryer area - nearly done
12. Kitchen cabinets

Decided a few days ago to relocate dryer to the basement. Have not actually plugged the dryer in since we bought this house (~ 4 months ago) as duct needed to be repositioned to vent outside, so decided rack drying really is (mostly) working. Trouble is dryer would not fit through the basement door. Right now dryer is on front porch, and I am planning to post on Craigslist - I think. Part of me is very wary of being dryer-less; keep thinking there could be some emergency need for it, but who has a wet clothes emergency?

Kim
Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 PM
WNB

I'm not really doing the challenge on a per-item basis, but am instead trying to go room by room.

This weekend was my office! It looks great now. I unloaded a LOT of crap, dusted, got rid of lots of old instruction manuals for computers or parts we were no longer using, made better use of existing shelving and file cabinets, and cleaned up a lot of clutter from around my DH's desk. (Why that's my problem, I won't ever know, but it's done and it looks better, and I'm happy about the end result, even if I'm not thrilled that I was the means to the end.)
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 AM

You guys are all doing great!

Michelle- So sorry about the yard sale, that is disheartening. HOpefully you'll have better luck with the next date and not too much stuff got ruined.

Kissum - Thank you! I too wanted to toss the stuff I had set aside for charity, but I just had to force myself to make those (multiple lol) drives to Goodwill. You can do it! You've almost made your goal!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

281/300 YAY!

Superstella- you are right, I really just need to hold out. If I wait a couple of of months I am sure that there will be people doing charity drives where they pick up. If all else fails, I may drag my stuff home to visit my family in 3 weeks, because they have many places close by that I can donate to. I know I'd be upset if I just pitched it all.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gave away 5 warm-weather clothes to charity.

45/100

I don't think I'm going to make my goal. One, my apartment is quite small so not as much to declutter. Two, babies are taking up much of my cleaning/decluttering time. Maybe more next month. SOooo, I'm changing my goal from out of 200 to out of 100 since I still have a week left.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 PM

I don't know about 300 items but I know I do need to have a good decluttering session!

So here goes...

So far I have passed on a pie taker, cake taker, and two ice cube trays.

These things are on their way out the door: a large bag of clothing that is too small, a toy ironing board, a toddler's bike, a duck walking toy and numerous small plastic toys that I can't be bothered to chase after any more.

So that's about 15 items so far.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
281/300 YAY!

Superstella- you are right, I really just need to hold out. If I wait a couple of of months I am sure that there will be people doing charity drives where they pick up. If all else fails, I may drag my stuff home to visit my family in 3 weeks, because they have many places close by that I can donate to. I know I'd be upset if I just pitched it all.
352/300! I did it. It's so funny though because once I meet my goal I start thinking about what else I still have left to do. I'm already thinking about what needs to be worked on next month. Someday though, I will have everything together! :

Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM

just popping in to say i still have a lot left to do this month!!! If i can make it to 1000, wich would be half my original goal i will feel like i really did a lot though. i think it will have been the most productive month ever.

not counting but i finally sat down and put some filters up on my e-mail so that it will STAY de-cluttered
Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 PM

i'm adding another 35 to my tally! i didn't count as i sorted but i added a box full of baby stuff to my yardsale pile. And i got started sorting (and properly folding and putting NEATLY away the things i'm saving for the next one)

maybe i can get some paper de-cluttering in tonight too since thats where i was originally focused for the month
Old 09-29-2007, 03:58 AM

Miscellaneous junk tossed or given away - 6

51/100

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita View Post
I'll do 30 items a week to start.
I DID it. Not only did I do 30 items but I did over 200 items this month and a big item we've been wanting to get rid of for a long while now-- our master bed. We are wanting to get a queen sized bed for a while. The downsizing will mean no more little bed hoppers.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 PM

My garage is almost empty! Whoo hoo!!

Today I posted an ad on Craigslist for a pile of free stuff. I must have given away about 100 items including a broken microwave, a huge air mattress and a large bag of crappy plastic hangers not to mention 3 bins and 2 garbage bags of other stuff. YAY!!!

Just waiting for some people to come buy a couple of things in there now.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 09-30-2007, 02:28 PM

i got really energized after a nice hot tub bath and a cold beer last nightt. i didn't count but i'll say probably 50 things either trashed, or put away, or put in the yardsale pile... still a lot to do before midnight though
Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Okay, I just put another 100 items in the car and I have three bins to go. My goal is to get it all finished in the next four hours.

And I am done for now.

I have put another 50 items in the car and we are off to goodwill.

All I have to do now is a huge bin of children's clothing, one more round of my closet, the buffet, and a small pile of scrapbooking stuff. I'll go add that to the October thread.

THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 AM

DECLUTTER: 50/100 items

1. Home office - desk - DONE
2. Home office - filing cabinet - 90% done
3. Home office - 2nd desk/floor/closet - Making good progress...
4. Our bedroom
5. Our closet - Started...
6. Bathroom closet
7. Rubbermaid bin in DD's room
8. Bureau in DS' room - DONE
9. Living room shelves - DONE
10. Pantry
11. Washer/dryer area - nearly done
12. Kitchen cabinets

Did not meet all of my September goals, but will be carrying them into October and hoping for improvement.

Kim
Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 AM

I recycled another 20 items and passed on another 10.

So that makes 45 items in just a few days.

I am hoping to continue decluttering throughout October. Can you believe it's October already?

User Tag List