September MASTER BEDROOM Challenge - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh I really need to be in on this!!! My bedroom is a disaster!! My dh is deployed and coming home next month so I really want it done. I cleaned out my closet a few weeks ago and everything I took out of it is just sitting around my room (except the clothes, though there are piles of those too)
Main goals-
-go through articles and magazines (I have about 5 boxes of paper 'stuff')
-organize pictures (even if they are all in a box together I'll be happy, right now there are just random piles)
-go through nightstand
-clean master bathroom and go through cabinets

I just bought a king sized bed set, and am picking up the head/foot board from a friend next Saturday so I would really like to have this done by then.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#32 of 55 Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so overwhelmed by this challenge, I've been ignoring my subscription to it. :

I'll try to take pics tomorrow.

My goals:
Make an altar shelf
Stop storing my crap in the co-sleeping area
Tackle the pile-o-stuff at the foot of the bed
Go through the books

Two big things I'd love for my bedroom
The altar (see above)
And I don't have a headboard, but I really want one

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#33 of 55 Old 09-08-2007, 11:30 PM

Joining this thread because our bedroom could definitely use some help!

I'd like to clean out the closet, get rid of about half our clothes, get rid of a bunch of baby stuff we're not using (too-small diapers, clothes, etc.) and just learn to keep it de-cluttered.

Although my room has never been as clean as all of your before pictures, so I guess I'm just looking to make an improvement

Starting with the master bedroom is nice because I've noticed that it's the room I get the most enjoyment from being clean, so hopefully I'll get really motivated to work on the rest of the house!

~ Amy

#34 of 55 Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 AM

I was able to get everything OFF the floor in my bedroom today.I hung some clothes and put other stuff in drawers. I then did a load of laundry.It's not sitting in the laundry hamper (in my kitchen) waiting to be put away.I need to get more hangers though! I swept the floor so there isn't any cat hair and dust bunnies now There is still a pile of clean clothes and sheets on my bed though! I can't sleep until I move it! I have more work to do tomorow!
#35 of 55 Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 PM

Reading all the posts motivated me! We just moved and our master bedroom was one of the more neglected rooms. Most of our household storage is in our closet (thankfully the closet is HUGE!), but I knew I wasn't using it efficiently. I managed to unpack 3 boxes that Now that I think about it, I am unsure why I was waiting to unpack and reorganized alot of the other boxes. So now it is neater AND there is still room for more stuff if I find there is more stuff to store as we get better settled. I also shifted some furniture to make room for dh's weight bench to sit the way it should to make it easier for him to pull it and use (it was standing on its end and there was no room for him to put it and actually use it).

Now the big things will be to get our extra dresser out of there and put upstairs in the baby's soon-to-be room. This will make room for a portacrib so that she will actually have a place to sleep in our room when she is born. Ultimately I would like to get a nice area rug for the end of our bed and a runner to go along the "pathway" to the bathroom. Our wood floors in our room are poorly finished and feel dirty even when clean.

This was a well timed challenge!!!

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)
#36 of 55 Old 09-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Is it bad that I didn't move the pile of clean clothes and sheets off my bed and just slept near it?

That's what I did last night b/c I didn't want to move the pile somewhere else and have mess in another area! :

This morning I did get more folded and some hung up.

I put a nice blue light bulb in a small lamp I have in my room.

I decided that I will stay in this room until I know more about the fostering situation. So my next goal is to find a way to keep on top of laundry and clutter in my room AND in the spare room!
#37 of 55 Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 AM

I am so in!!! DH and I spent all of Sat morning working on our bedroom. We took 5 boxes of clothes and such to Goodwill and have a lot more to take. I will take pics and post them at a later date. I really need to work on keeping the clothes put away, and making the bed. Our room is so not the calm, peaceful place I want it to be. It needs to be painted too!!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#38 of 55 Old 09-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Goals: Clean under the bed
Declutter books
Clean out the drawers in the end table
Donate that huge sack of stuff in the closet
Unpack and organize winter clothes
Get caught up on the laundry
Put everything away!

Oh, and ummm- my closet smells like feet. is there a cure for this?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#39 of 55 Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM

Get rid of your feet?

How about emtpy the closet and put some baking soda in and then vacuum it up. Then organize it all.Maybe put some BS inside some of the shoes as well that you keep in there.
#40 of 55 Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 AM

: VERY slow going for me.. I've gotten very little done I feel like. Seems like it's all just keeping ahead of the mess so it doesn't get any worse!! : WHY is this room so hard to do when I can declutter & clean out any other room? (ok I lied.. I have a bit of trouble getting rid of toys in the kids rooms too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I regularly pop thru and lurk on this board but the clutter thats hidden in my bedroom, spare room & garage (ok the kids rooms & laundry & closets too : ) has been yelling at me lately to DO SOMETHING! The master bedroom is the perfect room for me because I just decluttered & deep cleaned our ensuite : My todo list:

-clear the crap off my dresser top
-thin out my & dh's clothes, we both have stuff we

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#41 of 55 Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM

This actually works out to be the perfect challenge for us. Our master bedroom doubles as my sewing room, and triples as a storage room. Our place is so tiny that we're struggling with where to put things. All of my clothes are perma wrinkled because I haven't been able to make the adjustment of going from a huge walk-in closet to a tiny little single closet for TWO of us plus our junk! I hate the way our closet is set up. It certainly doesn't scream "organization." I feel antsy everytime I walk into our bedroom.

The bedskirt on the king sized bed pokes out a bit because of the GIANT MOUNTAIN OF STUFF we have crammed under there. I have 4 portfolios of my old artwork under there somewhere. We're storing our camping gear and suitcases under there. Uh.....a guitar case? I don't even know what's going on under my bed, but I know I hate it.

And I have nowhere to keep my underpants.

So my goals for this month are:
  1. Cull un-used clothing
  2. Organize closet
  3. Take boxes of "keepsakes" and portfolios to storage
  4. Organize sewing area.
  5. Find underpant storage.
#42 of 55 Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM

I've gone through my drawers, one bedside table, and picked up stuff off the floor - big loads of clean and dirty laundry put away. Got rid of a full garbage bag of clothes to Goodwill.
YAY!
Left to do: one bedside table, and the dreaded, dreaded closet.
I need a shoe rack (the shelf-style ones from Ikea) for the closet, I used the one I had in the closet for my office, to house the books that were in my bedside table.
I'm glad this is a month-long challenge!

Has anyone else noticed how many other spots in the house need immediate attention while doing this? :
I'm trying to stay focused on this one task/room, until it's done.

Mama to my 2 boys
#43 of 55 Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 PM

I'm not motivated to clean anymore in my room

I still have a few clothes on my bed and my extra sheets. I think the problem is that I just don't have anywhere to put stuff.
#44 of 55 Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM

I'm in! My bedroom suffers from

--a scary corner of junk that needs attention
--a dresser full of baby junk that needs to be emptied and stored away
--waaaaay too many books and tchotchkes
#45 of 55 Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 AM

I'm struggling. What's worse, I'm struggling and I can see things start to slip backwards.
This weekend's challenge is to do something in the house. What, I don't know, just ANYTHING.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#46 of 55 Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 AM

well I had a late start of this, but this evening I took a laundry basket and put every piece of clothing that was on the floor in it and brought it downstairs. If it's down here, I will deal with it. Up there, it's just too easy to shut the door and pretend it's not there So I will get those folded/tossed whatever. That made a difference already. Tomorrow morning I will get an empty tub and put all the loose pics in, and go through the books.

#47 of 55 Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 PM

I am in. I just moved and we have some issues. We live in base housing unfortunatly it is the old housing which was built in the 40s or 50s and it is small. We have a king size bed because we coslept for awhile and Evan and Jacob are acting like they want to leave the faimly bed :. Anyway we are kindof cramed in there. I am trying to use Feng shui to declutter and to try to move it around for more room.
My goal this month is
move the room around a little
go throught clothes in closet and get rid of stuff we dont need
clean off the dressers and get them clutter free
paint the room get pictures put in the room
that is all right know maybe next month I will have pictures to share.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#48 of 55 Old 09-23-2007, 09:46 AM

How is everyone doing?? I have made big progress in my room. Still not pic worthy lol but much better. I have the head/footboard now, just need to wait till payday to get the frame and am hoping to have the room complete by then. My older girls helped me go thru 3 or 4 boxes of papers, we made piles for pics, school stuff, 'dads' stuff, etc. And I filled 2 big trashbags woohoo SO exciting. I have also been working in other areas of the house, but my dh is coming home end of next month and I really want this to be a sanctuary for us :

#49 of 55 Old 09-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
-clear the crap off my dresser top
-thin out my & dh's clothes, we both have stuff we don't wear - progress made, but more needs to go!
-sort large basket of childrens clothes to donate, save a few 'special' items - DONE
-dream about convincing dh to put all 200odd dvd's into cd wallets thus getting rid of the cases & cupboard they are housed in (which lives in our bedroom for it's own safety.. boys ) - no luck here yet
-THIN out the kids clothes.. their dresser is in our room as well and they have so many clothes!
- get the junk (papers, magazine, photo album etc) off the night tables
- thoroughly clean the whole joint (clean windows inside/out, sills & blinds; clean closet mirror doors; polish furniture; vacuum & dust baseboards etc
- MAYBE by the end of the month if I'm happy with the results I'll reward us with a nice new bedding set (tired of the one we have now, need change!) or something lovely in the way of art or the wall.
I've gotten a fair bit of crapola out of the walk in closet so a little success

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay4 View Post
How is everyone doing?? I have made big progress in my room. Still not pic worthy lol but much better. I have the head/footboard now, just need to wait till payday to get the frame and am hoping to have the room complete by then. My older girls helped me go thru 3 or 4 boxes of papers, we made piles for pics, school stuff, 'dads' stuff, etc. And I filled 2 big trashbags woohoo SO exciting. I have also been working in other areas of the house, but my dh is coming home end of next month and I really want this to be a sanctuary for us :
Mine is miles away from an 'after' pic as well.. but we were informed that our house is for sale (we rent) and almost zero chance an investor will buy it (at 425k?!?!) so We HAVE to declutter!!!!! I refuse to relocate all this crap to another house : I did get rid of a huge bag of stuffed toys from the kids rooms & a bag of thoroughly dead cloth dipes/covers and a heap of mccrappy meal toys! So while the master isnt 100% yet, the clutter free feeling is spreading

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#50 of 55 Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 AM

So far, I've cleaned under the bed, and unpacked and organized the winter clothes. I also spent hour today rearranging my bedroom, and in the end wound up with it pretty much the same. Oh well!

So I still have left:
declutter books
Put everything away!

And I'd like to add:
put away summer clothes/shoes

I still have a few days, it could happen!

#51 of 55 Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 AM

I'm falling way short of my goal. We did get the bedroom painted. DH did at least go through his pants and got rid of the ones that don't fit, but he still has about a million shirts. And I'm having trouble finding any affordable prints to hang. And the curtains! HA! I still don't even have my new sewing table....and may not even be able to have a dedicated table anymore since I was going to set up my space in what was our spare bedroom but is now going to have to be designated for another use.
#52 of 55 Old 09-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
So far, I've cleaned under the bed, and unpacked and organized the winter clothes. I also spent hour today rearranging my bedroom, and in the end wound up with it pretty much the same. Oh well!

So I still have left:
declutter books
Put everything away!

And I'd like to add:
put away summer clothes/shoes

I still have a few days, it could happen!
Ok, so I have done the books, got caught up on the laundry (well, as caught up as you can get anyway!), have put everything away, and packed up all of my summer stuff.

I also did a few things that aren't on my list, I treated myself to a new bed spread, new throw pillows, a couple of little decorative boxes (using for jewelry) and a new curtain for my closet. I took after pics, but my camera is dead. Pics later though! My closet is completely organized, which is fabulous. There are a couple of things on my list that didn't get done, but the room looks nice and I'm happy. :

End of the month..how is everyone else doing?

#53 of 55 Old 09-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Before and after pics

From the door:
Before:
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...rent=b5-07.jpg

After- New bedspread and throw pillows, the decorative boxes, and a new bedside lamp shade.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9.../DSC030772.jpg

Left side of the room- I did a little rearranging and finally bought a big lamp, which makes a huge difference.
Before
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...rent=b5-29.jpg
After
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...t=DSC03078.jpg

Closet curtain
before
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...rent=b5-34.jpg
after- The old curtain was sheer, and I hated having to look into my closet while I was going to bed. Much better!
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...=DSC030792.jpg

Closet itself- clean!!
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...t=DSC03081.jpg
No before, it was too bad to share!

Thanks for looking :

#54 of 55 Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM

I haven't checked back in a while but I fell very short of my goals. I still have one wall to paint and haven't touched any kind of sorting of clothes. I guess it will become my October challenge too!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#55 of 55 Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 PM

kissum,
where did you get that picture above your bed and next to your closet. that is the type of pics i want in my house. did you do it or did you get it somewhere. they are beatiful

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page