September MASTER BEDROOM Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The masses have spoken, so here's the thread. All right ladies, let's get it done this month. Let's work to make our bedrooms clean, peaceful, inviting havens. Our bedrooms should be a place of comfort and rest.

Post here to let us know you're participating in this month's thread. Tell us a little about yourself, and your goals for this month. What do you want to accomplish in regards to your master bedroom? Post pictures if you'd like (I love seeing before & after photos!). We're all starting in different places, so don't feel you need to live up to someone else's standards- this is all about YOU! We're here to support and encourage each other

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 05:08 PM

We just moved and I would like to get all the boxes in my closet unpacked and put away nicely. Also our crib is sidecar-ed right now blocking the radiator so we need to find a place to move the whole bed set-up that will keep the radiator clear. Lastly I would like to get my curtains hung and some art on the walls. If I think of anything else I will add it.
Thanks for starting this challenge. I really need it!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Our bedroom is pretty much the way we want it minus getting some nice big frames and having large black and white photos of the kids printed up for them.

However, our dresser is a clutter magnet. I'm always clearing it off. That lasts until dh gets home from work. I have tried establishing areas for him to put stuff, but this seems to be a bigger problem. I will work on that.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 08-31-2007, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Signing on because this is something I really need to do.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am definitley in! I share my room with my daughter, and there is plenty of space, but it's not very well arranged. I would like to remedy that.

I also want to transform my room into a haven for "just the girls". My daughter and I are outnumbered by boys, and we need a place that's a little bit girly to compensate for the skateboards everywhere! :

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 08-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Okay I'll join. My room is a MESS! I need to:

* Clean out closet
* Sort through/give away clothes (goal: at least one bag)
* Organize the shelves and dressers
* Just keep it clean!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

My story: we moved to a new house 3 months ago. We're mostly unpacked, and it feels like home. But I haven't done much decorating- mostly put up the same things we had at the old house; some of it looks good here, some of it doesn't. My bedroom isn't too terribly bad, so I'm also going to be reorganizing and hopefully redecorating the master bath.

My goals for this month:
The Desk area
is very disorganized. Stuff gets dumped on top of it and into the drawers, and I don't like not knowing where things are. You can also see that there are two large boxes sitting to the right of the desk- I have no idea what's in them, and they need to be unpacked! In the picture you can also see a telescope. We have a very large window in our room, and DH likes to look at the stars occasionally. I'd like to find another place for the telescope, because it gets in the way sitting in the corner.

My nightstand
has become a catch-all for books, water glasses, etc. Right now there are some toys in the nightstand that need a better (locked?) home. Once I get the drawers cleaned out, I hope to avoid clutter collecting on top of the nightstand.

This box fan
sits in front of the window and runs at night. It is a hand-me-down and is REALLY gross and dirty. By the end of September, we shouldn't need it anymore. So when it gets cold, I will find a place to store the fan in the basement for the winter, and I will clean it out before I store it.

Our Dresser
the drawers are well organized, but both DH and I have a tendancy to leave things sitting around on the top of it. I will work to keep this a clutter-free area.

The closet
This is the view looking straight in. We finally got our filing cabinet moved inside the house, but we have papers ALL over the place. I think the most time consuming job will be getting all of our papers, etc. back in order.

My side of the closet
Just general decluttering needs to happen here. I'm hanging onto too many pieces of clothing that I just don't wear. You can't see in the picture, but underneath my clothes are boxes of kids' craft supplies and books. I'd like to find a better place to store these things.

DH's side of the closet
DH likes to just pile all of his clothes on a chest of drawers that is sitting on the floor. Whatever- it's his side of the closet. But I would like to go through his clothes with him and get rid of things he doesn't wear.

Master Bath
is BO-RING. It's this awful off-white, slightly purplish color with lovely pink countertops. I just can't stand this room, it doesn't feel comfortable. No matter what I do, it doesn't seem clean and inviting. I'd really like to paint, and I'd be SO grateful if anyone wants to suggest a color scheme. I've been thinking about a warm light brown, but I'm nervous about how it would look with the pink countertops. Also on the agenda: install a towl bar/ring- right now the handtowel just sits on the countertop.

More bathroom
Just your basic, boring toilet. I've been trying to decide if I want a basket or something to keep the wipes in, instead of leaving them on the back of the toilet. I did try a basket before, but it just didn't look right, and it only held a few wipes. There are magazines in the brown magazine box on the floor. Definitely better than just leaving the magazines on the floor, but would a basket look better? Hhmmmm...

The shower area
again, just plain and boring and blah (please ignore the laundry hanging over the shower door). DH put the little white cabinet in the corner, but we don't really need it there, since we don't keep anything in it. I've thought about rolling up clean towels and putting them in the spaces? My goal for this area is to install a towel bar or hooks. I also need to give the shower a good deep cleaning. Although we squeegee the shower down each time we use it, it's been awhile since I've scrubbed off all the soap scum.

Bathroom closet
is fairly well organized, but is crowded. I plan to go through all of the stuff and get rid of things that we won't use in the medium term. I'll also go through our old sheets and get rid of the ones I don't like/don't use anymore.

Phew! I didn't think I had much to do, but now that I've written it all out, it feels like I have my work cut out for me!

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:36 AM

I am desperate for this! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Basically, I need to:
move the pile of clothes that stands between me and the bed, wash, clean and put away
move the two large boxes of books that came out of my kids room and are waiting to go on the bookcase
move the antique teaset boxed up and sitting on the floor immediately in front of the bookcase
move the bookcase
move the huge pile of crud, clutter and crud between the bed and the window
move the huge pile of crud clutter and crud between the bed and the wardrobe
open the wardrobe door and move my FIL's stuff.
put our clothes in the wardrobe
redecorate the room
rearrange the furniture in the room
collapse exhausted in a gibbering heap.

Move here is a euphemism for sort, clean and put away or dispose of, not a euphemism for allow the clutter to continue to travel around the house. That's how we got into this state in the first place. I will post a picture later, it'll make everyone else feel better : if you promise not to judge me. bb

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 PM

I'm in. We have been preparing for the new baby and moved all the stuff from DS's babyhood into our room and now its a nightmare in there! I need to :
-Go through shelves in closet and declutter
-Reorganize closet shelves
-Get rid of all the storage containers, boxes, etc. in room
-Figure out how to arange media (cds/dvds, etc)
-Set up baby's bed in our room for naps, etc.
-Clear off dressers
-Go through books/bookshelves and sell unwanted books

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 09-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Me too!!!

My list:

- go through each drawer, clear everything out that I don't wear, & start bringing fall/winter clothes to replace summer ones
- clear both bed-side tables
- clean clothes in closet
- organize closet floor

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 09-01-2007, 11:22 PM

I regularly pop thru and lurk on this board but the clutter thats hidden in my bedroom, spare room & garage (ok the kids rooms & laundry & closets too : ) has been yelling at me lately to DO SOMETHING! The master bedroom is the perfect room for me because I just decluttered & deep cleaned our ensuite : My todo list:

-clear the crap off my dresser top
-thin out my & dh's clothes, we both have stuff we don't wear
-sort large basket of childrens clothes to donate, save a few 'special' items
-dream about convincing dh to put all 200odd dvd's into cd wallets thus getting rid of the cases & cupboard they are housed in (which lives in our bedroom for it's own safety.. boys )
-THIN out the kids clothes.. their dresser is in our room as well and they have so many clothes!
- get the junk (papers, magazine, photo album etc) off the night tables
- thoroughly clean the whole joint (clean windows inside/out, sills & blinds; clean closet mirror doors; polish furniture; vacuum & dust baseboards etc
- MAYBE by the end of the month if I'm happy with the results I'll reward us with a nice new bedding set (tired of the one we have now, need change!) or something lovely in the way of art or the wall.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 09-02-2007, 03:26 AM

I think we'll be starting to move into our new place this coming week. I'll try to take some pictures along the way.

First order of business is to paint the room. We're renting, but we plan on staying here for a couple of years at least, so I want it to feel more like a home, and painting is my favorite way to do that!

I also want my husband to sort through his clothes and get rid of what he doesn't wear/doesn't fit. He says he'll do it before we move but he said that at least a week ago and he hasn't even started. :

I'd like to pick up a few prints to hang. Our current decorations just aren't working for me anymore. I currently have a sand dollar in a shadow box that was originally purchased as a bathroom decoration, but it didn't fit in our current bathroom so it got delegated to the bedroom; a print with a palm tree that just doesn't speak to me anymore - I bought it years ago when I purchased a bedding set that was full of palm tree prints; a neat little framed collage that DH's unit presented him with when he separated from the Army - I'd like to move this elsewhere; and a framed collage I made of DH and myself - I can do better!

Anyway, I'd like to have some sort of actual theme with the artwork, something calming and soothing. Not sure what that will be yet, but I'm excited to search.

Other than that, the only other thing I'll really need to do is make a curtain for the small sliding glass door that is in the new bedroom, and perhaps some new curtains for the regular window. The door has blinds, but I'd like a curtain as well, and the regular curtains I currently have don't match my new bedding set at all (navy blue curtains with a chocolate brown duvet and aqua sheets? Nope, not working!). I did most of the rest of my decluttering and such during the August declutter challenge, and I don't keep much in the bedroom anyway, so there's not a whole lot for me to do!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Subbing, because I really need to get in on this, especially because we just moved. I'll post more details later!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:38 PM

I'm back!

Decided that before I start on my list, I have to fold and put away all the clothes on dressers, in baskets, on the floor, etc.

I'll pop back in when it's done.

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 09-03-2007, 03:33 AM

Subbing for tonight. I will try and post pics and goals tomorrow!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 09-03-2007, 05:25 AM

I'm so in. My bedroom is a scary place, there are clothes all over the floor and every surface, and the drawers are empty. : I need to totally catch up on laundry, pare out the clothes that don't fit anymore, and put everything AWAY. I'm hoping to get rid of at least 100 items from our bedroom in this organizational frenzy.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 AM

momaste, I'm right there with you. I'm standing in the middle of this, and I can honestly say that I can't see how this is going to work. I think I just have to stand at the door and do enough that I can open and close the door, and go from there.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Daunting, but do-able! I put away all the clothes, and the room looks like it can be cleaned now. The closet is a horror, but I'll get there later.

Next step:
I am going to clear out my drawers, and throw out/give away all unused tshirts/pj's. Some of mine are 7 or 8 yrs old, stained, etc - they need to be tossed!

I'm rewarding myself with a few (very few) new ones - they're really on sale right now, and it will be great to have fresh clean ones for the spring.

Keep posting everyone, it's inspiring me to keep going on this project!

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 09-03-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm in....

Haven't been able to walk to the side of my bed for more than a year due to the piles of stuff! Hubby's side is even worse!

...I'll be back after I've rented the bulldozer
Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Well I just did a brief initial clean up. In 10 minutes I had the bed stripped and made. In five minutes I had the general clutter picked up. So tomorrow I will start on the deeper stuff.
Tuesday will be my jewelry day. I will put away all the bits and baubles and will find a good home for my jewelry box (very big!). I will sort through the expensive stuff and designate a home for them where they are safe. I will also make a pile for repair by me or a jeweler. All that will open up a drawer in bureau for socks which are all in a box mismatched and tangled.
We'll see how far I get!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:01 PM

I have an area of clean floor 2ft x 4ft: and I just realised I'm underestimating because our doors are 3ft wide :. I CAN do this, I can, I can.

Honest.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Here's some pics of our bedroom with my list
1. Needs to be painted
2.Clutter on our dresser
3.Overflow of clothes
4. Disorganized shoes

Goals:
1. Paint room-paint is already purchased we just haven't gotten time to do it.
2. We really need a bigger dresser to help with the overflow of clothes. If we don't get one this month, I will reorganize the top shelf of the closet.
3. Get shoe racks so the floor of the closet isn't covered in them!
4. Figure out what to do with clutter on the dresser.
5. Figure out where cosleeper is going to go.
6. Move rocking chair to ds' room if it won't fit in ours.
7. Put up our mirror and other pics on the walls.

I may add more....

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 PM

I'm in...we just moved and I need to get this under control before it's too much to handle I'll be back when I determine my goals.

PP: I can't wait to see after pics
Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
2. We really need a bigger dresser to help with the overflow of clothes. If we don't get one this month, I will reorganize the top shelf of the closet.
LOL! I was laughing to myself thinking "how can they live with such a small dresser!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I have an area of clean floor 2ft x 4ft: and I just realised I'm underestimating because our doors are 3ft wide :. I CAN do this, I can, I can.
Ok think about this. You now have 8 square feet clean. Can you get 9? tiny steps forward are still steps forward.

I'm in: I'll post some pics later, probably tonight.
To do:
1. get yarn stash away from my side of the bed
2. fix closet so that I can hang long items in there
3. figure out a clothes storage solution that works for us.
4. dust the light fixture

If time:
wash windows
hem curtains.
wash blinds
I'd love to paint, but man there might not be enough time/money as we have had a plumbing catastrophe last evening (eek!! The tub is leaking, we think).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 AM

I need to take this challenge, like you wouldn't believe! I would go take some "before" pictures, but my husband is asleep in there and might not appreciate it. Well, he probably wouldn't notice the lights on or the flash, but it would seem creepy.

For the last couple of days, I have been de-cluttering. (That is why I came to this forum for the first time tonight.) We live in a tee-tiny 12'x65' 1970's mobile home... not exactly a haven o' storage. This isn't our "starter home"... we've lived here for over 11 years and it will probably be our home til we succumb. But, we owe nothing on it at all, and it's our home. I was always terrible with clutter, shamefully so, but now that we finally have our longed-for child it is imperative that I do something to reclaim space. She doesn't deserve to live in this mess. For years I was in a cycle of grief over our infertility and multiple miscarriages, and I didn't have the emotional energy to keep our home as I should have. :

A storage solution arrived a few weeks ago. Jointly with my parents, who live across the road, we purchased a 40 foot long trailer (you know, an 18 wheeler or semi trailer). We parked it along my father's garden, took off the wheels, lowered it and blocked it. It is VAST, dry and snug. We have the left side to do with as we please. I don't want to just fill it with junk and riff-raff, however, so I need to be ruthless as I de-clutter.

Now to describe our bedroom. Like I said, it's shameful. I'd be embarassed for anyone to go into it, except for a couple of close friends who grew up like this. If my mother said she was coming to look at something in there, for instance, I would be horrified and would move faster than humanly possible to get it presentable. She would be aghast. I don't know how I let it get so desolate. It looks like a scene from that shocking television show, "How Clean Is Your House?" Minus the animal poop and bits of pure rubbish, of course! It's not filthy, just terribly untidy, dim, and dusty. I don't feel very peaceful in there at all. Yesterday, I noticed a couple of carved wooden figurines that depict a pregnant mother and a father holding an infant. They were gifts from family when Gail was born. I had put them on top of the chest of drawers then, and hadn't really looked at them since. Upon noticing them yesterday, it made me terribly sad that something which had been given in love by my sister-in-law was now so dusty and neglected, standing vigil next to a pile of clothes atop of bureau. It was as if they were just moldering away and forgotten. Who could see them there? What purpose does something pleasant have in our cluttered room? It made me want to cry to realize how bad it has gotten. (I took the figurines into Gail's room, which is bright and pleasant, if sometimes a bit strewn.) That is why I am so glad to have found this challenge. I need it so badly!

I do vacuum the tiny bit of open floor space I have and I dust occasionally or pick up obvious clutter, but I feel overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stuff and the tiny space and my own giult over it all and... and... I need to know where to start!

The space is very small, and filled to the limit. So much so that my husband, a big broad man, must turn sideways to fit through spaces. Our bed of course takes up much of the room, and it is just a standard size bed. Underneath the bed is... everything. Books, board games, old framed pictures, blankets, baby stuff... all piled in a jumbly mess. When we moved the bed before Gail was born (so a co-sleeper would fit), I was heavily pregnant, my husband was irritable about something, and we just left all the accumulated mess of eleven years under there instead of clearing it out when we had the chance. Now we have a small crib side-carred to it, and that takes up a great deal of room... so much so that William has been asking when we can take it out since Gail rarely uses it now, and I'm beginning to wonder why we don't put it away. Between the wall and the bed is crammed every blanket and extra pillow we have, to fill the gaps in the headboard rails and the side against the wall so Gail wouldn't get trapped as an infant. It makes it feel very close, dusty, and spidery.

The whole room feels that way... spidery. I'm not afraid of spiders, but I've positively identified several brown recluse spiders recently, and they make me worry. It would be all too easy for Gail to get bitten in one of those dark dusty corners. I would love for it to be crisp, pleasant and airy, a place where one could dangle a hand down over the edge of the bed and not wonder what it is brushing against!

Near the bed is a nightstand, but it is almost never used as such. It is full of mysteries from years gone by. Scraps of paper with phone numbers on them, books, key chains from promotional giveaways, condoms (which seem ludicrous for someone who has trouble conceiving like we do, but we're not supposed to be TTC right now due to my last tubal pregnancy), coffee cans full of coins, keys, screws, pens and pencils... oh, everything. Lots of stuff Gail shouldn't have! We don't really need or use this night stand. I do put my glasses on it at night, but have trouble finding them by morning... especially because I don't have my glasses on!

There is also a huge trunk in the room, a gift from my mother. It holds childhood memories like school annuals, stuffed animals, drawings, notes when William and I were dating as teens. It is really much too massive for the space, and will soon go to the storage trailer. That alone should give us more room to breathe, and will be a relief. But first it must be emptied, which will take a long time. I know I'll sit and read every note in there. : And even after it is empty, will it still fit through the hallway? We have new bookcases now. Hmm.

We don't use the small closet for clothes (well, a couple of suits of dress clothes). I don't really believe in hanging up casual clothes... never have. : William uses a chest of drawers which are brimming full and cluttered with more clothes and knick-knack boxes of coins and such on top. I use a multi-tiered Handi-Snack shelving bin from a grocery store. Yep. Floor-to-ceiling red plastic bins boldly emblazened in white lettering. I don't really believe in folding clothes, either... so it is quite the mess. When looking for a certain item, others fall out and litter the floor. They don't always get picked up promptly. I know that if I took a realistic look at what clothes I no longer use, I could pare that down considerably. William's too. If I could find a different storage unit for my clothes, I could possibly transfer the Handi-Snack shelf to Gail's room for toys, which would be a much more logical use! Between the chest and the Handi-Snacks unti is a pile of travel bags, William's cover-alls, and a giant stuffed hippo. He would make more sense in Gail's room, too.

In the closet, besides the few formal clothes, are many items including all of our Christmas decorations, wood plaques for pyrography, books, suitcases we never use, old home videos, and so much more that I don't even want to imagine the sliding, chaotic piles. It is dark and unpleasant. We can't really get to that closet easily, anyway. Floor space is at such a premium that we keep a little miniature bench in front of the door for William's clean work clothes, so he won't have to suck in his belly and slide past the side-car crib to get to his o'er-full drawers! Gail is always raking these clothes off the bench and sitting on it. It is just her size and should probably be in her room instead of ours. Under the bench are shoes, many shoes. All William's, by the way.... I only own four pairs of shoes, each with a distinct purpose (yard, town, church, funeral/wedding). William has many. Regarding most of what is in the closet, it could be given away or stored in the new trailer. Then I could get some "Space Bags" or something and properly store my blankets and winter coats.

Also in the room is a stereo cabinet (missing the glass door). Inside is our stereo, photo albums, and two shoeboxes of important papers. It is surprisingly neat... I just cleaned it recently. Atop the cabinet is the alarm clock and also our television, which we rarely watch in the bedroom. I can't think of a way to improve this space, but the important papers should be gone through and a new box set up.

There is also a gun cabinet holding William's family heirloom guns. They're all unloaded, and thankfully so, because there is no door to the cabinet. My father had said he'd build us a new one that is sturdier, so we took off the glass door two years ago (so he could get the pattern) and it still sits in his shop. He hasn't built the new door and I hate to bother him by reminding him about it (he works so hard at his job and helping everyone else that I can't bear to ask more of him). So we put a blanket up to keep the dust out. It doesn't really work, and the guns which belonged to William's grandfathers are in dire need of cleaning and oiling.

Near our bathroom door (I won't even begin to talk about the bathroom!) is a shelf for towels. But it has gone from a towel shelf to a catch-all... books, soap, toilet paper, with only three shelves left for towels! Thankfully I rarely have that many cleaned and put away at a time, anyhow!

The two windows in the room are covered with (very dusty) black mini blinds. One of them also has a blanket to block sunlight (it was waking Gail too early). They're sort of a non-issue, since one faces the wall of our shed and the other is hard to get to because of our bed. If it was cooler weather, I'd leave that one open to let in fresh air, but I can't let in 95 degree heat! Maybe in fall. I know that many folks use window-dressings to liven up a room, but that isn't really for me. I don't have a single curtain anywhere in my home, for some reason. This current challenge for me is less about decorating, though, and more about making a space usable.

Basically, it is all in a terrible state. I need to do something. It can't be healthy for us to sleep amidst all the clutter and dust. And it certainly isn't pleasant or peaceful to do so. I don't need scented candles and flowing curtains or anything... I just want a simplified, uncluttered space.

I can't imagine that anyone read this far... but it is getting late and I need to go to my un-restful bedroom to sleep. I may post pictures tomorrow, if I can muster up the courage.

Thanks for reading if you did!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:21 AM
Banned

subbing
Old 09-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Ok,I'm in! I'm all ready doing the No Spend challange.I saw this one and didn't think I could do both,but I think I need to.

I moved in April and my room hasn't been the way I wanted in for a long time!

My room is tiny I have a Queen sized bed in there and a tall dresser and a bunch of clothes on the floor and crap on top of my dresser!

My bed is sometimes made and sometimes not,but at least I can still sleep in it.I did hang a mirror and a little start light thingy.Other then that there is no light at all.

I haven't done much b/c I hope to use this room as my foster baby's room IF I'm approved. The room that would be my bedroom is the 2nd 1/2 of my living room.So I don't know if I should just make that change now or later.

What should I do? Any ideas? The space where my room would be has 3 walls and a door and then it divides where I have my couch and living room area so I'd have to put a curtain up or a tall book case or something. Should I just make the change now?

I put the batteries to charge now so I can take some pics for you to see. I did start to fold and sort the clothes this morning. I found a shirt with cat pee pee on it too : So that's what I was smelling!!! This is another good reason I need to have it all picked up!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 PM

okay, count me in, too. we are working on the 2007 in 2007 challenge (though we are doing 1004, because i didn't find out about it until june!).

basics:
- rearrange furniture to allow for crib in room (for naps, for show, who knows!)
- cull clothes
- fight off the laundry monstrosity hiding in the corner behind the wardrobe
- clean off dresser and night table tops
- unpack from last weekend away (first weekend in august!) before next weekend away (november!)
- toss toss toss the junk!

thanks for getting this going!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodergoat View Post
I can't imagine that anyone read this far... but it is getting late and I need to go to my un-restful bedroom to sleep. I may post pictures tomorrow, if I can muster up the courage.

Thanks for reading if you did!
Yodergoat...just think of what a peaceful way it could be to sleep and wake in your room once you get it cleared out even if you don't really decorate it. I read your whole post and you seem overwhelmed, so I hope you don't mind my making a suggestion. It sounds to me like your closet is full of mostly stuff you want to move to storage. I suggest starting there, since it sounds there is little decision making to go on and also because it will give you a place to put some of the things that may be in your room that you don't need to have out all the time but use often enough that you cannot justify storing it accross the road. After that I would probably move on to clothes. I was amazed when we moved and I went thru our clothes that we were able to easily downsize to one dresser for the two of us and got rid of 75% of what was residing in the closet. Also want to point out that while I understand not feeling the need to fold clothes, they generally take up much much less space when folded.

I know there is more to your room than that, but if you set yourself a goal of getting those things done....and complete it, you are more likely to be inspired to carry on with the rest of your room!

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)
Old 09-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Here are some pics of my bedroom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imnotsu...ny/1347078129/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imnotsu...ny/1347967102/

The closet is right beside the dresser and does open all the way but there isn't much space to move around much.

Here are some pics of the space that will be new room eventually.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imnotsu...ny/1347969232/

The first part is my living room area and the 2nd 1/2 will be my bedroom. I need to get a curtain or something to make it more private though.

Should I just go and change my room around now before I even start the interview/approvale process for being a foster parent? That's why I'd be changing things around. I may actually have to put up something more solid then a curtain at some point too.

User Tag List