Does it always feel this good? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To declutter and purge, that is? DH and I, along with dd have been living in around 350 sq ft for about a year. Well, that's for a combined living/bed room. We're in my parents' basement. We share their kitchen, bath, and laundry areas. In our room, we have the following:

Small closet (built into the room, not included in sq footage- but it's smaller than most closets used for one person, let alone 3!)
Old, larger dresser
King size bed
Toddler bed
2 small, 1 large sterilite 3 drawer storage containers
oil heater
box fan
61" television
toybox
living room set (couch, loveseat, chair, ottoman)
console record player that doubles as a side table
large wire dog kennel

: Needless to say we're cramped. And it's hard to keep clean because if we slack for one day the place is trashed and it just gets so frustrating that both DH and I wind up giving up with keeping up with the mess.

Last week I filled a HUGE bag with clothes we don't use. Wrong size, never wear, etc. Those are going to the clothing recycling center this week. Just doing that has helped a lot.

We've decided to downsize to make the six months we have left living here more comfortable. To do so we plan on getting rid of our bed. It's old and we'd planned on replacing it when we move anyway. We're selling the living room set and replacing it with a queen size sleeper (for us to sleep on) and a single chair. It's all the seating space we need. We're selling the TV and buying a smaller one. When we had a second large living room in our basement at our old place, it was wonderful. But for now, it's just TOO MUCH TV! We'll be taking the space freed up by our bed being gone and putting in one of the fold away dining room sets (my dad is clearing out room in our laundry area in the other part of the basement for us to put a mini fridge and microwave/toaster oven plus a little area for storing some basic food down here) and dd's twin bed for her. Since we got rid of so many clothes we should be able to downsize to just one small sterilite containers for dd2's diapers once she is here.

Any other tips for making things work in such a small place? The room is just a large rectangle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
don't have any more ideas, but it sounds like you know what you want
I can't stand all the extra clothes DH has that he never wears. he needs to go through them.
Anytime I get rid of anything, it feels like an accomplishment

::

User Tag List