how do you organize hats, mittens, scarves, etc.? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm loving how neat and pretty our vestibule and foyer are since the Entryway week of the HGP. How do you all store and organize those little cold-weather accessories that come off the minute you walk in the door? Coats and boots, but also the many small sets of hats and mittens, scarves if you use them, and any other outside-only items?

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#2 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Our foyer closet has a hinged door. I have something like this hanging on the inside of the door:

http://www.organize.com/20pocketshoe.html

It's perfect for hats and mittens in the wintertime, and bug spray and sunscreen in the summer.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#3 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 AM

I used something similar to the pp, though mine was actually an old nursery organizer (I love repurposing). The one thing I don't like is that I can't get the scarves into the pockets. We sometimes hang a favorite scarf around the top of the coat hanger that is holding the winter coat. And before the nursery organizer, we were known to just shove our gloves into our coat pockets before hanging up the coats. That wasn't a very good system.

I was looking at a copy of Real Simple in the library this week, and someone in there has used an old dresser, which looked very nice. But the usefulness of that would kind of depend on how much winter stuff you had.
#4 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Our coat closet is not directly next to the door; we have to walk through the living room to reach it.

Anyway, boots go on a boot tray next to the front door. I can't remember where I bought ours from - I am thinking I found it on sale at the end of Winter a few years back at Williams Sonoma. But it's thick and keeps the wet snow in the tray and not on our hardwoods.

Coats are hung in the closet.

At the top of the coat closet, we have a shelf and it has two baskets: one for gloves/mittens and one for hats and scarves. We just toss them into the baskets and pull them out each day. Sometimes, I just hang a scarf around the hanger of the coat that it goes with, if I know I'm going to wear it all week.

Hope this is helpful.
#5 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM

We have something like this. Hats and gloves go in the top compartment, the rest of the compartments are mostly taken up by shoes (some of which we could probably declutter), and the bottom compartment has our canvas bags.

I hang my scarf over the closet rod. If I am wearing one jacket a lot I leave the gloves in those pockets.

OTOH we don't have a huge collection of hats, scarves, gloves, etc.
#6 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
OTOH we don't have a huge collection of hats, scarves, gloves, etc.
Actually, this is key for us too. We each have 2-3 scarves. We each have 1-2 pairs of gloves. We each have 2-3 hats. Keeping the numbers down makes organizing them much easier.
#7 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 PM

Oh I'm so jealous of some of your solutions! I was just getting out the winter gear a few days ago during the cold spell (and then it hit 95 today?!) and was dreading the winter STUFF season just from looking at all of it. We don't have a coat closet really. There's only one small closet on the whole first floor and to get to it you have to walk from the front door, across the living room carpet, and through the kitchen plus it houses kitchen stuff too. So it's useless. Right now we have a coat rack at the bottom of the stairs (near the front door), but there's nowhere to put everything else. I think we used a plastic grocery bag hung on that coat rack last year and cardboard on the floor for the boots. It definitely wasn't the most glamorous situation.

Ooops, sorry, that wasn't much help, but I'm :ing to see what other people have done. Anyone with small spaces and no real entryway/foyer?
#8 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM

:

::
#9 of 21 Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM

We use this - but the bigger 6 comartment verison.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90096786

It hangs near the coat hooks. Each person gets a section for their personal stuff and the extra two are for other odds and ends. We used to use a big basket but it was a mess. My kids prefer hoods to hats and I try to use mitten clips to keep mittens with the coats once it is really cold. I am so not looking forward to digging all that stuff out.
#10 of 21 Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM

I had some old plastic bins that stack on top of each other. Its only about a foot wide & deep so it sits easily in a corner. I have 6 bins that stack up to about 5 feet. Each one is labeled for a person. All hats, gloves etc go into each persons own bin.
#11 of 21 Old 09-27-2007, 11:52 AM

I have a hanging sweater organizer in our closet. Each person gets a cubby to store winter stuff in.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#12 of 21 Old 09-27-2007, 05:18 PM

We've got one of those plastic-tote-towers with 5 drawers. The boys have one, then there is one for hats, gloves, work gloves, and scarves. Its put by the door in the winter, stored in the basement in the summer. Works well, but I think the solution for any entrance is to train the wearers to put them back each time! The boys are great at this, they know which one is their's and drop them in... dh and I, not so much!
#13 of 21 Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM

We have a bench with baskets that slide out. Ds keeps his hats, mittens, etc. in the slide out baskets so he can get them/put them away himself. Dh and I each have our own basket on one of the shelves in the coat closet. Dh and I hang our coats on hangers in the closet. Ds has a hook for his.
Boots go in the boot tray.

During the warmer months ds stores sun hats, sunglasses, etc. in one basket and his knee pads, shin guards, etc in the other.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#14 of 21 Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 PM

I have a dresser that I moved to the foyer and it is perfect. Hats/gloves/mittens in top drawer. Canvas shopping bags and misc in 2nd drawer and the bottom 2 are for my window quilts and and extra blanket. We hang the coats in one side of the closet and the other side is that pantry. Shoes go under the coats.

Oh, and I have one of my pottery bowls full of pretty rocks that sits on top where we toss our keys and sunglasses.
#15 of 21 Old 09-28-2007, 02:08 PM

we have used various solutions over the years:

large basket for hats/gloves/scarves

shelves in the closet

dresser

Now we're on to a two basket system: one for the kids, one for the adults.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#16 of 21 Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeden&connersmom View Post
I have a dresser that I moved to the foyer and it is perfect.

Oh, and I have one of my pottery bowls full of pretty rocks that sits on top where we toss our keys and sunglasses.
I LOVE these ideas! I like our tote thing for its function, but its not the prettiest. A dresser would be so much better - Thanks! Off to check the resale shops for an old dresser to fix up!
#17 of 21 Old 09-28-2007, 04:41 PM

We have 3 baskets in the top of the closet. I just bought them and LABELED them - one for each family member. I put everything in the baskets. I like the shoe holder idea for sunscreen, bug screen and everything else. It doesn't even ocurr to me that these things CAN be organized.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#18 of 21 Old 01-25-2008, 04:35 AM

I don't usually come to this section, but I found this post on a search and since it is : I thought it was the perfect time to ....ok ok so I really just wanted to easily come back to it and read through it better.

-Annie
#19 of 21 Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 PM

we have no entryway, no closet, just a couple hooks inside the front door. our hats go into the hoods of our coats, mittens/gloves into our pockets, and scarves just drape over the hooks with the coats.
#20 of 21 Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM

Coats and scarves on hooks. Boots/shoes under a bench. Mittens, gloves, knit hats, etc. in a basket under the bench.
#21 of 21 Old 01-26-2008, 02:47 AM

We have a cardboard box in the back room that holds hats, mittens etc for the whole family. Right next to it is the "boot box". Simple but effective, no more hunting for lost mittens!

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page