Do you have a home manager binder - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or book, planner, calendar?
I'm just coming to the realization (and acceptance) that in my family I really am the COO (Chief Organizing Officer) I keep everyone's schedules straight, do the car pools, shopping, all the dr's appts, most of the cooking and the cleaning. I'm looking for an awesome tool to help me stay organized and maybe keep a master schedule as well as master grocery list.
What do you have for me?

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#2 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
 
CityChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ooooo....good question.... :

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
CityChic is offline  
#3 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Mom's Busy Book.
I think it has good info, but I'd sort of even be interested in something I could put in my pda, vs a big book format.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#4 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 06:11 PM
 
Teensy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have THE NOTEBOOK. It is my holds-everything-important notebook. I bought a regular school notebook that has pockets and zips closed. I added divider tabs and have sections for To Do Lists, Calendar (printed out from my computer), Address book (also printed out from the computer), Vacation planning, Holiday planning (the Flylady countdown), a section for each child (with school and activity information), lists galore (books to read, babysitters, gift ideas, etc.).

It also has a three-hole punch tool in it (again, one I bought with the school supplies). I keep stamps and a few envelopes in it also.

I carry my notebook with me everywhere and if it ever gets lost I am in big trouble.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Teensy is offline  
#5 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 06:13 PM
 
flminivanmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 7,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ahhhh no - but now I WANT ONE!!!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

flminivanmama is offline  
#6 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 PM
 
MyLittleWonders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Always learning something new.
Posts: 8,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3-ring binder that I decided to organize this year. I have it in sections, and so far I've been putting the papers in those clear sheet protectors so I can print whatever I need off my computer and not worry about 3-hole punching papers.

I have a calendar printed from Publisher for September through June. I think I'm using it as our "attendance" calendar for hs'ing. I have a section for hs'ing legal papers (basically a copy of our private school affidavit and a signed vax waiver). I have a section for general to-do lists for dh and I; plus a section where I put our weekly schedule (which needs revamping), and a list of what I would theoretically do in each room/section of the house if I were to actually *clean* thoroughly! I also have a section for my dad's house and everything that I have to do with the trust/estate, as well as our remodelling plans for his house.

It has been very helpful so far, especially when dealing with my dad's affairs. I just type up on Word different to-do lists for each person/business I am dealing with, include the names and phone numbers, and then leave blank space for handwritten notes. I like the clear page protectors because I can slip things like bills or business cards into the appropriate sections, and also include small hand-written notes. And, it's all rearrangeble (sp?), which is helpful for me too. Normally I jot notes in spiral bound little notebooks, but I can't organize/arrange those notes by type. So, I just take them and put them in the page protectors instead.

Anyways ... hope that helps. I apologize for not being clear ... my head still wants to be napping.

 Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
MyLittleWonders is offline  
#7 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
 
MyLittleWonders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Always learning something new.
Posts: 8,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
I have THE NOTEBOOK. It is my holds-everything-important notebook. I bought a regular school notebook that has pockets and zips closed. I added divider tabs and have sections for To Do Lists, Calendar (printed out from my computer), Address book (also printed out from the computer), Vacation planning, Holiday planning (the Flylady countdown), a section for each child (with school and activity information), lists galore (books to read, babysitters, gift ideas, etc.).

It also has a three-hole punch tool in it (again, one I bought with the school supplies). I keep stamps and a few envelopes in it also.

I carry my notebook with me everywhere and if it ever gets lost I am in big trouble.
I so want a zippered one! I realized that when I took my notebook plus a letter-size manilla folder with me to an attorney's appointment. I kept worrying that things would fall out. Hmm ... I think I need a trip to Office Depot!

 Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
MyLittleWonders is offline  
#8 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teensy you rock!
I think I have my vacation project
Ok...I think I need to use the "mom's busy book" as a guideline since it has everything I want in terms of infor but I find it too static...what I wanted was the flexibility, adaptability of something I could easily add too or edit. Oh...I know, I'll take it apart and put the sections into page protectors, add dividers...oh, this could work!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#9 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 07:12 PM
 
SkylarJulesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to do this sooooo bad! I buy a notebook (Large day planner) get it home and wonder "What should I put in it?!?" My little Wonders and Teensy what kind of sections do your planners have? I'm intrigued! I have never been an organized person and I've always wanted to be! but I never quite know how to go about it! Erin
SkylarJulesmom is offline  
#10 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
 
MyLittleWonders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Always learning something new.
Posts: 8,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarJulesmom View Post
I want to do this sooooo bad! I buy a notebook (Large day planner) get it home and wonder "What should I put in it?!?" My little Wonders and Teensy what kind of sections do your planners have? I'm intrigued! I have never been an organized person and I've always wanted to be! but I never quite know how to go about it! Erin
Mine got left at my dads house the other night, but if I remember correctly, I have:

*month-to-month calendar printed off Publisher

*daily schedule/weekly schedule (basically a list day-by-day of what we do each week on each day like ds#2's speech times, etc.)

*general to-do lists

*my dad's house, including renovation information (I will probably start a new section dealing just with the renovation and leave the original section to deal with business/estate stuff

*homeschool legal stuff (vax exemption and our affidavit)

*emergency contact information (a sheet with our names, address, home phone, cell phones, plus grandparent names/numbers, the local hospital number - basically what I would leave for the theoretical babysitter). I also plan on adding a write-up of our disaster plan ... we live in earthquake country, as does all of our immediate family, so I want to make something up that details meeting points, out-of-state contact person, etc.

*menu ideas and general grocery lists - I haven't fully developed this area. I'm thinking of listing the main meals that we make along with the ingredients I would need to make them so that I can stream-line meal preparation and grocery shopping. Plus that way, if dh were to go shopping, he could scan the list, pick some meals for the week, check the fridge/pantry, and then have a good idea of what we need. I also want to make a general list in there of foods we keep on hand for snacking - fruit, veggies, string cheese, yogurt, nuts, pirate booty, etc.

*And I'll probably add a section for general note keeping ... stuff that doesn't necessarily fit in any one section or that needs filing in the filing cabinet ...

I think that's all ... and I really am getting a zippered 3-ring binder. That is the best idea!

 Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
MyLittleWonders is offline  
#11 of 185 Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 PM
 
texaspeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have one. I keep weekly menus and recipes in it, along with calendars that I printed off a free calendar webpage, I've got the #s to the electric co, gas co, landlord, water co, etc in there in case of emergencies. oh, and all the take out menus we have are in there
texaspeach is offline  
#12 of 185 Old 09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
 
boheime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a nice leather covered planner. I buy it each year at Borders when calendars go on sale. It helps me keep all of our stuff straight.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
boheime is offline  
#13 of 185 Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM
 
amydawnsmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
or book, planner, calendar?
I'm just coming to the realization (and acceptance) that in my family I really am the COO (Chief Organizing Officer) I keep everyone's schedules straight, do the car pools, shopping, all the dr's appts, most of the cooking and the cleaning. I'm looking for an awesome tool to help me stay organized and maybe keep a master schedule as well as master grocery list.
What do you have for me?
Yes you are the COO! All of us SAMHs are! Thanks for the reminder!!

I have the Planet Mom journal and I love it. I always carry a pencil and eraser along with it so I can update details easily. It's how I keep everything straight! I love it!

The calendar pages are undated -which is awesome- so you can start at any time! I keep my business cards in there too. I use the blank pages for anything from journalling to grocery lists to planning Hope's next birthday party. It also has 5 sections with envelopes for school, after school, entertainment, contacts and health I think.

I thought you meant a home organization binder. I did have one of those a long time ago. I put all the credit card information in it, house insurance details, just everything that we would need to know if any paperwork/cards were lost.
amydawnsmommy is offline  
#14 of 185 Old 09-27-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydawnsmommy View Post
Yes you are the COO! All of us SAMHs are! Thanks for the reminder!!
Mama I'm a WOHM so I might be getting screwed since apparently I have 2 job titles and only one paycheck

I guess I mean a "life management binder for the home" perhaps that's more descriptive. I like the idea of The Notebook though.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#15 of 185 Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned
 
accountclosed3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is one, i'm trying to remember the name of the company. i'll ask my husband. but--it's basicly like the notebook above. it's set up similarly.

the one that we found was great, but written for a mainstreamer. i foudn that there were sections that would work well for us, and others that would not be used and were a waste of paper.

so, we're in the process of making our own.
accountclosed3 is offline  
#16 of 185 Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I'd mention that I found a zippered 3 ring Mead brand binder at Big Lot's for $7. I thought that was a great deal since during the back to school sales they were $15 at Staples. I got that and some page protectors and a zippered pouch for less than $10.
Now I need a good printable calendar page. What's this publisher everyone keeps mentioning.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#17 of 185 Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM
 
orangefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 3,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you seen this?

I've moved our filing cabinet to a more accessible place so I can start to do something like it. I've tried an notebook before but it got lost or I didn't write in it so now I just stick with a calendar which shows 1 week at a time.
orangefoot is offline  
#18 of 185 Old 09-28-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
Have you seen this?

I've moved our filing cabinet to a more accessible place so I can start to do something like it. I've tried an notebook before but it got lost or I didn't write in it so now I just stick with a calendar which shows 1 week at a time.
That's very cool. I'm going to definitely use there 5 tab system. It pretty much says it all. I like the zippered notebook idea though to keep everything together.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#19 of 185 Old 09-28-2007, 01:05 PM
 
caeden&connersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I have a 3-ring binder that I decided to organize this year. I have it in sections, and so far I've been putting the papers in those clear sheet protectors so I can print whatever I need off my computer and not worry about 3-hole punching papers.

I have a calendar printed from Publisher for September through June. I think I'm using it as our "attendance" calendar for hs'ing. I have a section for hs'ing legal papers (basically a copy of our private school affidavit and a signed vax waiver). I have a section for general to-do lists for dh and I; plus a section where I put our weekly schedule (which needs revamping), and a list of what I would theoretically do in each room/section of the house if I were to actually *clean* thoroughly! I also have a section for my dad's house and everything that I have to do with the trust/estate, as well as our remodelling plans for his house.

It has been very helpful so far, especially when dealing with my dad's affairs. I just type up on Word different to-do lists for each person/business I am dealing with, include the names and phone numbers, and then leave blank space for handwritten notes. I like the clear page protectors because I can slip things like bills or business cards into the appropriate sections, and also include small hand-written notes. And, it's all rearrangeble (sp?), which is helpful for me too. Normally I jot notes in spiral bound little notebooks, but I can't organize/arrange those notes by type. So, I just take them and put them in the page protectors instead.

Anyways ... hope that helps. I apologize for not being clear ... my head still wants to be napping.
OMG You are my hero!!

I have one folder for bills, but damned if I can find it!!! (Its full of bills too! : )
caeden&connersmom is offline  
#20 of 185 Old 09-29-2007, 08:52 PM
 
StormySar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melvindale, MI
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am creating one - in my blog (link in sig) you can see a couple posts back that I wrote about starting a hosuehold management binder and I have a link to another moms home management binder in her blog and it's fantastic. She has links to tons of other home management binders on the left column so you can peek into others binders to get ideas.
StormySar is offline  
#21 of 185 Old 09-29-2007, 09:13 PM
 
mamasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really hate having paper, so I use my Microsoft Outlook program quite a lot. It has the calendar, to-do lists, sticky notes, address book, etc.

I guess I don't have a master "notebook" for paper items. There is just way too much to put in a notebook.

I have a master DESK - LOL!

This one:

http://modernoffice.stores.yahoo.net/miscomar3.html

It's been a great investment. I keep everything home-management related in this desk.
mamasaurus is offline  
#22 of 185 Old 09-30-2007, 12:40 PM
 
mysticmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 6,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

hh2.gif

mysticmomma is offline  
#23 of 185 Old 09-30-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have found some wonderful resources on the internet and my book is coming along well. I'm on vacation for a couple of weeks and I'm going to work on it some more. I think it will really be helpful.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#24 of 185 Old 10-01-2007, 03:47 AM
 
hellyaellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: georgia
Posts: 3,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
Mama I'm a WOHM so I might be getting screwed since apparently I have 2 job titles and only one paycheck

I guess I mean a "life management binder for the home" perhaps that's more descriptive. I like the idea of The Notebook though.

me too mama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
:
i'll be keeping "tabs" on this thread also:
hellyaellen is offline  
#25 of 185 Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 AM
 
Knittin' in the Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: near Philly, PA
Posts: 4,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a three ring binder with the clear page protectors. it's got:
*calendar
*day to day schedule/planner
*address book
*emergency info (COntact numbers, medical info, allergy info, etc) for each family member
*take-out menus
*recipes I want to try
*coupons (These are organized in 4 X 6 clear pocket sheets, with labels)
* daily/weekly/monthly to-do lists
*budget sheet, with spaces to fill in when I've spent money in a particular category
*long-term goals (this is for my business)
*handy phone numbers like the boy's school, plumber, handyman, pharmacy, library, etc

I would be so, so utterly screwed if I ever lost my binder!
Knittin' in the Shade is offline  
#26 of 185 Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM
 
Millie Ivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: TX
Posts: 3,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I didn't have one last week, but after reading this, I have a little baby organizer binder started! I love the idea of creating your own. I have always gone out and bought one "premade" and didn't use it bc it wasnt geared towards our life. This is working great though!

Thanks!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Millie Ivy is offline  
#27 of 185 Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
 
Momtwice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing Thanks!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Momtwice is offline  
#28 of 185 Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
sabrinat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
Well, I didn't have one last week, but after reading this, I have a little baby organizer binder started! I love the idea of creating your own. I have always gone out and bought one "premade" and didn't use it bc it wasnt geared towards our life. This is working great though!

Thanks!

That's what prompted this thread. I've always purchased someone else's idea of what I needed and it was never quite what I was looking for. Even though mine is in it's very infancy it's already more tailored to my needs then anything I've ever purchased. I'm so excited.
I've come up with 6 tabbed sections...a couple of the sites suggested not to have too many tabs, so I really tried to think about what I need.
The mama who posted the link to her blog w/the link the Candy's site, thank you! I got some awesome ideas from there.
Also, just by googling, home management binder I have found a ton of free prinatable. WooHoo, my favorite price...free!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

sabrinat is offline  
#29 of 185 Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
 
mamasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone found downloads for computer-based note-keeping pages?

I really hate having paper - I do everything I can on the computer - Christmas lists, Grocery shopping lists, anything that is repeatable, happens over and over again. Even our nanny log - the log our nanny keeps about the children's day - it's all on the computer in an Excel spreadsheet I created.

You all found anything like this on the web?

TIA!!
mamasaurus is offline  
#30 of 185 Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
 
SonomaMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sonoma, CA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had set up a simple house journal a few months ago based on flylady's. However you ladies have inspired me to take it further. I think I need a thicker binder. Too bad all of the back-to-school sales are over!
SonomaMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off