Post pics of your clean, clear space - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 1163 Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
We have plans to update the kitchen (on a very small budget) this summer. I would dearly love to gut the whole kitchen, but I've gotta work with what I've got .
I hear you. I have that fake wood countertop. My 5.5 yr old asked, "Mom why is our counter that fake wood plasticy stuff?" I kept saying when my dissertation is done I'll tackle it. Now I'm on to when we have money to pay cash up front. The issue we have with our countertop is we need to replace some of the (cheap) breaking cabinets. But I don't really want to replace one cabinet, I want to do the whole deal. I also don't want to buy a new countertop for the old situation. Maybe this summer.

Quote:
If you want to open up a wall, be sure to have an architect or contractor check the structural supports, but it can definitely be done.
I'm pretty sure ours isn't structural (given what it looks like from the basement and that the adjacent room (the living room) has no support in that spot.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#602 of 1163 Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
So...I decided to take a pic of the polka dots.My husband thought I'd lost my mind on this one but my daughter likes them.

OMG. i LOVE the polka dots! ive been thinking about doing it in a kids room for so long! did you paint them on or are they decals?
my daughters room is off white and yucky because its old. needs to be painted. come spring i plan to paint all of the bedrooms here, so one i do i plan to do some sort of spots.. i love the different sizes and colours! so fun and i love the green base. its my favorite shade of gren.. or one of many my son has the same loft bed too..but right now its flipped as a low bed

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#603 of 1163 Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
So...I decided to take a pic of the polka dots.My husband thought I'd lost my mind on this one but my daughter likes them.
Sweet! I'd love to stencil or jazz up our walls, but we've got wavy plaster not drywall, so it would be a PITA to do it. The best I can do is sponge on some clouds in my DS's room...that's one of my many summer projects .
#604 of 1163 Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I uploaded some updated pictures recently, so I though I would post another link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
Hi there, I'm new to this thread. I just wanted to say, I loove your house

__________________________________________________ _____
Don't Agonize, Organize! - www.organizeanything.com
#605 of 1163 Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
OMG. i LOVE the polka dots! ive been thinking about doing it in a kids room for so long! did you paint them on or are they decals?
my daughters room is off white and yucky because its old. needs to be painted. come spring i plan to paint all of the bedrooms here, so one i do i plan to do some sort of spots.. i love the different sizes and colours! so fun and i love the green base. its my favorite shade of gren.. or one of many my son has the same loft bed too..but right now its flipped as a low bed
Thanks!Yes,I painted them.

I love that bed.My daughter doesn't sleep in hers(except for an occasional nap)but it's nice to have the option with out loosing floor space.How does your son like it flipped?

Quote:
Sweet! I'd love to stencil or jazz up our walls, but we've got wavy plaster not drywall, so it would be a PITA to do it. The best I can do is sponge on some clouds in my DS's room...that's one of my many summer projects .
Hee...we have old plaster walls too...and yeh...a stencil would have been good but I drew them on the wall with chalk and then carefully painted them in.See,now you're starting to understand why my husband thought I'd lost it...aren't you?

#606 of 1163 Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM

We have a room with polka dot walls, too. Our playroom. I'll have to take some pictures. It's one of the few clean clear spaces right now. Ugh, sickness has left my house a wreck this week.

Amanda, mama to my three giggling girls aged 12yrs, 7.5yrs and 3yrs.
#607 of 1163 Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks!Yes,I painted them.

I love that bed.My daughter doesn't sleep in hers(except for an occasional nap)but it's nice to have the option with out loosing floor space.How does your son like it flipped?
well, you did a great job!

on the bed..he likes it both ways. but since he is getting bigger, he is 6 now..the space under isn't as usable or fun for him. we probably flip it once a month for a change. this time he said he wants to leave it down though...we dont take off the ladder rungs, so its a simple procedure. i think i will give it to my 3 year old soon and get him a slightly higher loft bed. im eying this one.. its very $!! but so cool! im going to save up for it. he is an artist and spends hours drawing, so the desk under would be well used.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#608 of 1163 Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammsma View Post
We have a room with polka dot walls, too. Our playroom. I'll have to take some pictures. It's one of the few clean clear spaces right now. Ugh, sickness has left my house a wreck this week.
Yay for polka dots!Can't wait to see yours...but sorry you've had sickness in your house.

Quote:
well, you did a great job!

on the bed..he likes it both ways. but since he is getting bigger, he is 6 now..the space under isn't as usable or fun for him. we probably flip it once a month for a change. this time he said he wants to leave it down though...we dont take off the ladder rungs, so its a simple procedure. i think i will give it to my 3 year old soon and get him a slightly higher loft bed. im eying this one.. its very $!! but so cool! im going to save up for it. he is an artist and spends hours drawing, so the desk under would be well used.
Wow that bed is super cool.That would work great for my gal when she gets older.Especially with the closet.She has a very small room with no closet.Definitely looks like a good spot for an artist.

#609 of 1163 Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Wow that bed is super cool.That would work great for my gal when she gets older.Especially with the closet.She has a very small room with no closet.Definitely looks like a good spot for an artist.
that is the same issue here.. there are very small closets, but the rooms are tiny and that pretty much is a whole room in one! the fact that the stairs are drawers and there is a little wardrobe makes it so practical. its fun too. im going to save up a bit each month till we can afford it..and im manifesting it to be on sale when i do. i recently bought a kitchen sideboard that is regular 300.00 + for 50% off.. it wasn't damaged or anything..just on special! and i called and got the last one. it was menat to be..

Quote:

#610 of 1163 Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
that is the same issue here.. there are very small closets, but the rooms are tiny and that pretty much is a whole room in one! the fact that the stairs are drawers and there is a little wardrobe makes it so practical. its fun too. im going to save up a bit each month till we can afford it..and im manifesting it to be on sale when i do. i recently bought a kitchen sideboard that is regular 300.00 + for 50% off.. it wasn't damaged or anything..just on special! and i called and got the last one. it was menat to be..
Nice work!Hopefully my daughter will be super into a bed like that because she is a master manifester.She manifested herself a stethoscope the other day.I was impressed.30 seconds after she was talking about a stethoscope that she could really hear the cat with(she was trying to use a toy one),I opened a freecycle email and there it was.As my mother always says...She's a powerful one.

#611 of 1163 Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM

I did some serious kitchen decluttering because of this thread. I decided that I need to keep only the things I really love and the rest is going to the thrift store.I plan to do this for all 4 kids as well. They can keep the stuff they can't live without and we'll clear the rest away. I will be taking pics of the stuff I'm cleaning out just as a reminder of how much I can live without and never once miss any of it. This is all going in my blog so I have to be accountable. If nothing else, the kids will have a nice playroom.

banana.gif

#612 of 1163 Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenluv View Post
I did some serious kitchen decluttering because of this thread. I decided that I need to keep only the things I really love and the rest is going to the thrift store.I plan to do this for all 4 kids as well. They can keep the stuff they can't live without and we'll clear the rest away. I will be taking pics of the stuff I'm cleaning out just as a reminder of how much I can live without and never once miss any of it. This is all going in my blog so I have to be accountable. If nothing else, the kids will have a nice playroom.
Nice!

Can't wait to see pics!

#613 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
my son has the same loft bed too..but right now its flipped as a low bed
Is that the kura bed from ikea? We're considering one for our son Must go to ikea and see how sturdy it is and how it'll do for him size wise first, but it looks so COOL.

One of these days I'll hopefully catch my house when I have a clean uncluttered space to take a photo

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#614 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Is that the kura bed from ikea? We're considering one for our son Must go to ikea and see how sturdy it is and how it'll do for him size wise first, but it looks so COOL.

One of these days I'll hopefully catch my house when I have a clean uncluttered space to take a photo
yep its the kura loft bed. its super sturdy! we have had ours since my son was 3 and he is 6 now..its still like new..well except for the stickers

Quote:

#615 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:

I agree, those Ikea beds are cool!

I just wish I had an Ikea that was less than a 4-5 hour drive from me: I'll just have to be the Ikealess freak on this thread.

banana.gif

#616 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
yep its the kura loft bed. its super sturdy! we have had ours since my son was 3 and he is 6 now..its still like new..well except for the stickers
Hehehe @ stickers. How long do you think it will do him for? I have 7, 4.5, and 2.5yo boys at home and I simply MUST have this bed (lol yes it's for them I guess.. but I always wanted a 'cool' room as a kid and never had one, so I'm trying to live vicariously through them hehe) Although I suppose I could buy it and when the older ones outgrow it, just pass it down to the next one

Quote:

I just wish I had an Ikea that was less than a 4-5 hour drive from me: I'll just have to be the Ikealess freak on this thread.
I Ikea.. ours is about 40minutes.. but we drive past it to visit the parents all the time so it's an easy tip. I'm very sorry you have no Ikea

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#617 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Hehehe @ stickers. How long do you think it will do him for? I have 7, 4.5, and 2.5yo boys at home and I simply MUST have this bed (lol yes it's for them I guess.. but I always wanted a 'cool' room as a kid and never had one, so I'm trying to live vicariously through them hehe) Although I suppose I could buy it and when the older ones outgrow it, just pass it down to the next one
The bed is a regular twin size and I've had an adult sleep in it just fine.As for the under side I guess it just depends on your kid.My daughter is a big 4 yr old and is very comfortable playing under there.But then again I like to be under there.I'm 5'9" and can sit under there just fine.So I guess what I'm trying to say is if your kids like the idea of little cozy space it can last them forever in the up position or you can just flip it over.

Oh...and we have some older friends(12 and 9) who come over and get up in that bed every time.

We also have the tent that goes on the top and it's super easy to put it on and off if they change their minds about it.And it makes for another fun cozy spot.

Also it's a bit dark under the bed so I strung some lights under there and plugged them into one of these so my daughter can turn them on and off without using the outlet.The light under there made it much more inviting.

#618 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM

i think maybe the main reason why my kids dont enjoy playing UNDER the bed when its a loft is that its very cold here, and the floors are tile, and i haven't got thick enough rugs for the whole floors yet, so its like an icebox under there! they prefer to be upstairs or on a bed..and i like the kids beds to be kept as beds because otherwise at bedtime, i not only have 3 tired kids, but big messes to clean up too..so for now its not a play area. but i agree i have a lot of fun playing under it too! in our old house we had it set up as a little house, and we had a curtain and a wee couch and hours were spent under there! we need carpet! but i hate carpet. anyways, we also have the star canopy and put it on either way..right now his bed is a low bed with the canopy over and white christmas lights strung up around the top wooden bar. its lots of fun.a really nice place to sleep.
and i agree. i love ikea! the nearest one is 6 hours from here..but we do go that way to see family on occasion and my mom comes to visit and brings stuff up..sometimes if its very urgent she sends it up on the greyhound bus

im looking at this desk for his room next... but we shall see.since i thought it was all in one..and you have to buy the expedit shelves separately.. im such :

Quote:

#619 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
i think maybe the main reason why my kids dont enjoy playing UNDER the bed when its a loft is that its very cold here, and the floors are tile, and i haven't got thick enough rugs for the whole floors yet, so its like an icebox under there! they prefer to be upstairs or on a bed..and i like the kids beds to be kept as beds because otherwise at bedtime, i not only have 3 tired kids, but big messes to clean up too..so for now its not a play area. but i agree i have a lot of fun playing under it too! in our old house we had it set up as a little house, and we had a curtain and a wee couch and hours were spent under there! we need carpet! but i hate carpet. anyways, we also have the star canopy and put it on either way..right now his bed is a low bed with the canopy over and white christmas lights strung up around the top wooden bar. its lots of fun.a really nice place to sleep.
and i agree. i love ikea! the nearest one is 6 hours from here..but we do go that way to see family on occasion and my mom comes to visit and brings stuff up..sometimes if its very urgent she sends it up on the greyhound bus

im looking at this desk for his room next... but we shall see.since i thought it was all in one..and you have to buy the expedit shelves separately.. im such :
Ooo yeh,a cold floor is not fun.We're lucky that because of where the pipes are our floors are pretty warm.

Maybe you could do a table like this with some wall shelves?

And since this is suppose to be a pic thread...here is the bed's under side.Sorry for the fuzzy pic.

#620 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
And since this is suppose to be a pic thread...here is the under side.Sorry for the fuzzy one.
Your LOs are SOOO lucky! What an awesome bed!
#621 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Your LOs are SOOO lucky! What an awesome bed!

Most everything we have was handed down or gifted to us but I just couldn't resist that bed.I did try for months to find one on Craig's list but no luck.

#622 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Most everything we have was handed down or gifted to us but I just couldn't resist that bed.I did try for months to find one on Craig's list but no luck.
Oh, it's not just the bed itself, but how you set it up, with all the cozy lights!
#623 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Ooo yeh,a cold floor is not fun.We're lucky that because of where the pipes are our floors are pretty warm.

Maybe you could do a table like this with some wall shelves?

And since this is suppose to be a pic thread...here is the bed's under side.Sorry for the fuzzy pic.
beautiful!!!!my DS is So not into stuff like that but my DD is.. hence my wanting to give her the bed soon i love the lights! are they LED?

Quote:

#624 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, it's not just the bed itself, but how you set it up, with all the cozy lights!
Thanks,that made me smile.

Quote:
beautiful!!!!my DS is So not into stuff like that but my DD is.. hence my wanting to give her the bed soon i love the lights! are they LED?
Thanks!I'm so glad my gal likes it.Although I played in my closet when I was a kid so it didn't really occur to me that a kid wouldn't be into a little spot like that.My husband can't stand to be under there though.

The lights are just regular old string lights.I bought a bunch of them(on super sale) to decorate the spot we got married in(almost 6 yrs ago) and have been using them since.Every time a strand goes out I go into the stash and pull out another.One day I'll use them up and buy something more "friendly".

Are you excited to set it up for your daughter?I get way to excited about those things.but so does my daughter so it's fun.

#625 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:

you're not the only one! i've never even been to ikea.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#626 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
That is SO cool! I could totally see that as lego HQ in this house hehehe. What a neat cosy spot.. that settles it, all three of the boys must have one now (only half kidding lol)

#627 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
We'll have to form a club of some kind.

I really wanted one of those leaf canopy things Ikea used to have. I just never quite got around to ordering them. I will be cleaning and decluttering tonight and taking pics to share. This is likely to be embarrassing.

banana.gif

#628 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
now THAT is a travesty! lol! our closest ikea is about 3 hours away and we've been there 3 times in the past year or so. we just took a road trip last weekend. man we love that place!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#629 of 1163 Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
We'll have to form a club of some kind.

I really wanted one of those leaf canopy things Ikea used to have. I just never quite got around to ordering them. I will be cleaning and decluttering tonight and taking pics to share. This is likely to be embarrassing.
they still have them in the store we were at!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#630 of 1163 Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
now THAT is a travesty! lol! our closest ikea is about 3 hours away and we've been there 3 times in the past year or so. we just took a road trip last weekend. man we love that place!
Oh yeah, Ikea is great! Ours is about 90 minutes away and I love to go there and just walk around. The kids go for an hour to the play area (I linger like a hawk and pick them up 20 minutes early), we eat lunch (Swedish meatballs, red potatoes, gravy, cranberries AND milk for $2) and we may buy a few things. It's just tons of fun!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.

Tags
Mrs Meyers Cleaning Day , Unica Household Products

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page