Post pics of your clean, clear space - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
One more question. Our kitchen counters are each around 12 feet and 7 feet long . Because they are so long, we can't afford to replace with another solid surface, except perhaps the IKEA counters. How hard was it to work with those counters? I've looked online, but have only found ones that measure a little over 4 feet long. Do they really come in 4 foot sections, or can you get longer ones to cut down?
i believe we purchased an 8 ft. section and a 4 ft. section which was plenty for our small area. i'm honestly not sure what the largest size is that they sell though. i would assume you could special order whatever size you need. what we got was just precut and "off the shelf" so to speak. as for working with them, my dh didn't seem to have any issues, but that's the type of stuff he's good at, so i'm not sure if that's typical.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#662 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily's_Mom View Post
WOW! It looks great!!
thank you!

#663 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 AM

vm..you must be so pleased! it all looks wonderful!congrats on your new kitchen

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#664 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
vm..you must be so pleased! it all looks wonderful!congrats on your new kitchen
aww, thank you! i AM pleased with it.......i can actually say that i love my kitchen.

#665 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
If you have any ideas or suggestions for me, please share. Here is my kitchen http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/.
first of all, LOVE your green glasswear!
next, you could totally work with that kitchen! paint those cabinets white with new hardware and they will look so good. change a couple other things, like wall colour and countertops and i think you'll feel so good about that kitchen in the end.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#666 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
for counters, i would steer very clear of tiled counter tops personally. the grout is a total killer to keep clean, and it's not conducive at all for any kind of baking. that and i'm just not fond of the look of it....but that's my own personal opinion. using that tile on the backsplash, however, would be very nice!

:

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#667 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
first of all, LOVE your green glasswear!
next, you could totally work with that kitchen! paint those cabinets white with new hardware and they will look so good. change a couple other things, like wall colour and countertops and i think you'll feel so good about that kitchen in the end.
Thanks! Yeah, I hope those changes will make a difference. Believe it or not, the kitchen was MUCH worse when we bought the house. It had an orange linoleum floor from the 60s and wallpaper with red and green strips. Add that to the yellow counter tops and it looked like a bad trip !

To be honest, I'm not comfortable with white cabinets. I am afraid that they will be a mess in no time. What if I painted the cabinets a color and left the walls white (or cream as they are now). Also, If I paint the cabinets white (or a color), do you think I should paint the wall shelves (with all the green pottery) to match?
#668 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
T

To be honest, I'm not comfortable with white cabinets. I am afraid that they will be a mess in no time.
I have that same fear.I plan to paint mine a blueish gray.

I would wait and see how the shelves look with the cabinets before deciding to paint them since they match the furniture in the dining room.

#669 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
yes it is i'm afraid. however, i will say that the smell didn't linger for long.......we were remodeling and painting in below freezing weather with snow on the ground, so no opening up the window here!
:: us too. thats partly why i asked. its pretty cold here (-6) and thinking of painting without doors and windows open scares me a bit. think ill wait for spring!!:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#670 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM

I love this thread! I think this is only my 2nd or 3rd post on MDC, but I check this thread nearly every day. I love everyone's homes!

Here's mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blythef...7607682132971/
#671 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccadilly View Post
I love this thread! I think this is only my 2nd or 3rd post on MDC, but I check this thread nearly every day. I love everyone's homes!

Here's mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blythef...7607682132971/
Lovely house! I especially like your children's room...what a great play area. I also love your master bedroom (We have the same bed frame from IKEA! http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/ ).
#672 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Here are a few pics of our place.
#673 of 1163 Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

I love everyone's pictures! I have read through this entire thread and everyone's houses look awesome.

I am not quite ready to post pictures, but hopefully soon!
#674 of 1163 Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I like it too. It's a south-facing window, so it lets in a lot of sunlight. The only problem is that there isn't much of a view out the window. It looks straight into my neighbor's kitchen - her house is only about 5 feet away from mine. There is a large window in the door too. In the summer, the curtain comes down to let in all the nice sunshine and breeze through the screen door.

The window and door are extremely leaking though. : My kitchen get's quite cold in the winter. Both really need to be replaced. I had the window priced and it would be a custom piece at over $400. : The other thing I hate about the window is the trim around it...whoever installed it did a lousy job. My DH has a friend who does etched glass designs on windows and mirrors. We've talked about having the window etched with a craftsman-style image so that we have more privacy, but still have all the sunlight.
Hey, I just came across this kitchen in Rate My Space - it reminded me of your kitchen layout/cabinet colors. Check out the before/after pics - amazing what a can of paint can do! And that cornice (or whateve it's called) - above the sink. Love it! It's going to be my DH's weekend project.

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-spac...si?oid=6367509

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#675 of 1163 Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
OMG :Puke

That has got to be the best transformation and best of all CHEAP. I want to have it. I want the woman who did this to be in my house for a weekend.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#676 of 1163 Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hey, I just came across this kitchen in Rate My Space - it reminded me of your kitchen layout/cabinet colors. Check out the before/after pics - amazing what a can of paint can do! And that cornice (or whateve it's called) - above the sink. Love it! It's going to be my DH's weekend project.

okay, i must preface this post with the fact that my "snobby" interior designer is coming out on this.

first off, it really is an amazing transformation! kudos to the creativity.

but.....and you knew that was coming, didn't you?! lol! there is no way on earth that this only cost $17. no way. cabinet paint is atleast $28 per gallon and they have WAY more cabinets than we did and used an entire gallon on our few cabinets. not to mention the glaze for the cabinets, the paint for the counter tops and the rest of the room, the joint compound for the backsplash, and the wood for the cornice. sorry, not buying it. minor irritation, but nonetheless true.

the other thing about the backsplash.......it's going to get nasty in no time. you can't "wash" joint compound, atleast not THAT much, without it turning "gummy". it's kind of like "popcorn" ceiling material....once wet it breaks down.

and the counter tops.....they look great NOW, but we tried to paint our counter tops and realized rather quickly that they would have to be "babied" in order to stay looking nice. and since we actually USE our kitchen, i knew that that would never happen and they would be a scratched up mess in no time. poly will only seal for so long....and you have to reseal it every once in awhile. once you start wiping up messes everyday it will wear down. and scooting a bowl or something across it can also scratch the finish.

all around it looks very pretty on the computer screen, but i don't think those ideas are practical in every day use. it's best to use the proper tools and materials for both quality and longevity. especially in a room used so often as a kitchen.

i do think the cabinets (if she used the proper paint) look really nice though....and should hold up just fine.

but i'm seriously impressed with the creative use of materials! honest!

#677 of 1163 Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the inspiration, greenmom! I have to agree with vm though, there is no way that cost only $17...but I get the point - you can make a big difference without spending a ton. I am envious of her open soffits - I really wish mine were like that. I would love to have that area to display things. Last night I told DH about my brainstorm to remove them and insert a butcher-block shelf above the cabinets. It would really transform the kitchen and make it look a little more like the period of the house, but I'll probably focus on painting the cabinets and replacing the counters for now.

vm, thanks for the info on the IKEA counters. I hope to make a trip there in March to price out butcher block counters and *maybe* a porcelain sink - to go with the porcelain backsplash that we have planned.

Thanks for your help gals!
#678 of 1163 Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
okay, i must preface this post with the fact that my "snobby" interior designer is coming out on this.

first off, it really is an amazing transformation! kudos to the creativity.

but.....and you knew that was coming, didn't you?! lol! there is no way on earth that this only cost $17. no way. cabinet paint is atleast $28 per gallon and they have WAY more cabinets than we did and used an entire gallon on our few cabinets. not to mention the glaze for the cabinets, the paint for the counter tops and the rest of the room, the joint compound for the backsplash, and the wood for the cornice. sorry, not buying it. minor irritation, but nonetheless true.

the other thing about the backsplash.......it's going to get nasty in no time. you can't "wash" joint compound, atleast not THAT much, without it turning "gummy". it's kind of like "popcorn" ceiling material....once wet it breaks down.

and the counter tops.....they look great NOW, but we tried to paint our counter tops and realized rather quickly that they would have to be "babied" in order to stay looking nice. and since we actually USE our kitchen, i knew that that would never happen and they would be a scratched up mess in no time. poly will only seal for so long....and you have to reseal it every once in awhile. once you start wiping up messes everyday it will wear down. and scooting a bowl or something across it can also scratch the finish.

all around it looks very pretty on the computer screen, but i don't think those ideas are practical in every day use. it's best to use the proper tools and materials for both quality and longevity. especially in a room used so often as a kitchen.

i do think the cabinets (if she used the proper paint) look really nice though....and should hold up just fine.

but i'm seriously impressed with the creative use of materials! honest!
Totally agree, it looks great in a picture but wouldn't hold up over time. The backsplash would drive me crazy, just knowing that it wasn't real tile - I'd rather have nothing there, to be honest. But looks great on the computer screen!

That woman is very creative though, and much braver than I am! Gotta give her credit for that!

And all of it for $17? Hmmm, doubt it as well, she probably had 75% of the supplies already at home! But she's an inspiration nonetheless!

Mom to:
DD (1/03) , DS (9/05) , DD (10/09)
#679 of 1163 Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I hope those changes will make a difference. Believe it or not, the kitchen was MUCH worse when we bought the house. It had an orange linoleum floor from the 60s and wallpaper with red and green strips. Add that to the yellow counter tops and it looked like a bad trip !

To be honest, I'm not comfortable with white cabinets. I am afraid that they will be a mess in no time. What if I painted the cabinets a color and left the walls white (or cream as they are now). Also, If I paint the cabinets white (or a color), do you think I should paint the wall shelves (with all the green pottery) to match?
we had an off-white (not done by us) on the cabinets in our old house and i never found them to look dirty or yucky at all but i see no reason why you can't just pick a colour you like instead of white! we have black and i think i'm going to leave them black to match our appliances when we re-paint our kitchen (i wish that was going to happen soon!! it's so ugly in there.)

#680 of 1163 Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM

tjjazzy, can you share a link to photos of your kitchen?
#681 of 1163 Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
tjjazzy, can you share a link to photos of your kitchen?
we don't live at this house anymore and i miss it. it was too small though. our current house will be lovely one day but it's going to take such a long time...

before (not bad at all but we redid the flooring and repainted) http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...thehouse8a.jpg

our old dining/sun room http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0months285.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...9months006.jpg

door from kitchen to dining room http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...months773a.jpg

looking in from dining room http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...6months77a.jpg

my husband ripped out some ugly tile and patched and painted http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n.../THEWALL2a.jpg

after the ugly tile was gone: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...january243.jpg

i can't find an after of the cabinets online (i think they're on disc somewhere) but they stayed the same and just the walls and floors changed here's one if you look behind my family http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...rch31st005.jpg

HTH!

#682 of 1163 Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM

Here's a repost of my bathroom. The reno was in October and it's still nice and clean and perfect.

And here's a new pic of my uncluttered but not quite perfect living room.

I'm hoping to pick up the materials to redo the window wall this weekend. It needs new insulation so dh is going to pull the wall down, insulate, add drywall, paint and then build a bookcase that will cover the entire wall from floor to ceiling.

At a later date we'll be doing another floor to ceiling bookcase wall unit on the wall not shown, refinish the floor, add a computer table, refinish the coffee table, get an area rug, new cushions, new curtains, a throw for the love seat...

Then it will be perfect.
#683 of 1163 Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM

i think that living room looks pretty beautiful now, limette!

#684 of 1163 Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
Here's a repost of my bathroom. The reno was in October and it's still nice and clean and perfect.
I am sooo jealous of your bathroom! Someday my bathroom will look that good!

Your living room looks awesome too, BTW!
#685 of 1163 Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
we don't live at this house anymore and i miss it. it was too small though. our current house will be lovely one day but it's going to take such a long time...

before (not bad at all but we redid the flooring and repainted) http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...thehouse8a.jpg

our old dining/sun room http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0months285.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...9months006.jpg

door from kitchen to dining room http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...months773a.jpg

looking in from dining room http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...6months77a.jpg

my husband ripped out some ugly tile and patched and painted http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n.../THEWALL2a.jpg

after the ugly tile was gone: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...january243.jpg

i can't find an after of the cabinets online (i think they're on disc somewhere) but they stayed the same and just the walls and floors changed here's one if you look behind my family http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...rch31st005.jpg

HTH!
Thanks for sharing the pics. What a lovely house and cute family!
#686 of 1163 Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks! We are building bookcases as we speak. Hopefully the living room will be complete by Monday.
#687 of 1163 Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the pics. What a lovely house and cute family!
thanks we redecorated that house from top to bottom. i can't wait until this house is done too.

#688 of 1163 Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 PM

limette, your living room and bathroom are perfect, imo. They totally feed my minimalist soul! Love them. Thanks for posting!

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#689 of 1163 Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 PM

OOoh we started on the bookcases. Are books minimalist?...lol. Dh is staining them as we speak. We also bought an area rug and some wallpaper to wallpaper the back wall (with the blue artwork on it). Teaser pics on my blog.

Now I need to switch out the curtains they look weird with the bookcases. I'm so excited this is my dream living room coming true!
#690 of 1163 Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
OOoh we started on the bookcases. Are books minimalist?...lol. Dh is staining them as we speak. We also bought an area rug and some wallpaper to wallpaper the back wall (with the blue artwork on it). Teaser pics on my blog.

Now I need to switch out the curtains they look weird with the bookcases. I'm so excited this is my dream living room coming true!
I LOVE your bookcases! Where did you find them? Or did you make them?

Tags
Mrs Meyers Cleaning Day , Unica Household Products

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page