Stuffed Animals - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I've been getting rid of all plastic toys in our house and now I want to cut down on the number of stuffed animals that we have and get a few natural dolls/animals instead. How do I do it though? I've already eliminated alot but the ones left all some somewhat of a sentimental value. Like, a couple were gifts from when my DD was born and such. What do I do with them? I feel guilty throwing them out (donating them). :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM

I started by sending them to a female Army Captain deployed in the middle east. She ran some sort of clothing/toy drive. She has since come back to the states so I donated the nicer ones (I called the shelter first to get their ok) and THREW OUT THE REST.

Yes, I admit it, I threw out 99% of my sons stuffed animals. I kept only three special ones that he actually plays with.

This is one area where I have no problem with decluttering. I have gone so far as to keep the tags on gifted stuffed animals and will be putting in those "new but un-wrapped" Christmas toy boxes.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 19 Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM

I must add that it was hard for me to get rid of the baby gift ones but I had a friend that got some sort of bug infestation in her daughter's stuff animals so all I had to do was force myself to think of dust, dirt and bugs and out the door they went.

I did wash and dry two special baby ones that he enjoyed playing with. Those are small and packed in his keepsake box.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#4 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM

I hate those blasted stuffed animals! The only ones I wanted were classic pooh, tigger, eeyore, and piglet. Well, now he has about 20! Grr. I think they will be getting some nice used toys in the toys for tots bin this christmas!
#5 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM

I love that idea of passing them on to a worthy cause. THat would motivate me to give some away. I've already cut down to just a few in a little bin because we just don't need them. I don't know where you live but some highway patrolmen keep them in their car and give them to children who have been in an accident. I don't know what kind of donation policies they have.

I tell everyone no stuffed animals! I use the excuse that our dog will maul them if we have them. But really she just tosses them around the room and gets them all gross and slobbery.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#6 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 03:03 PM

No help here, just commiserating that stuffed animals breed under cover of night. They are worse than rabbits.
#7 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM

I donated all but 5 to the goodwill.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#8 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My kiddos adore stuffed animals. They create complicated fantasy play with them and can spend hours living in stuffed animal world. It makes it hard to just bag them up and ditch a few carloads of the buggers.

Recently though my kids discovered beanie babies. They are smaller and less irritating to me. Everytime we get a new beanie (25 cents at the local resale shop), they have to give up one of the larger stuffed animals. It has been a good system for us since the bulk quantity of stuffed critters has gone down a lot and my kids are thrilled with their new animals.

And all of our new beanies fit in a small and compact basket.

Ahhhhhhh.......simplicity.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#9 of 19 Old 10-09-2007, 07:34 PM

Yep what everyone else said. I am getting rid of all but 6.. one care bear for each little one, and their stuffed fruit bats (like I said on another thread... who else do you know with stuffed fruit bats? lol they are uber cute) I'm having NO problems getting rid of most of them.. now and again I have an almost sentimental moment then I remember these things are giant dust bunnies & mite breeders then out they go

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#10 of 19 Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM

I gave away hundred of stuffed animals from my childhood which were in like new condition. They went to the local fire station who gives them to children when they are on call.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#11 of 19 Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 PM

I wish I could be ruthless with the stuffed animals, I really do! I gave it a try today (hardened my heart and thought of dust mites) and I was still only able to toss 5 into the "donate" box. Sigh.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#12 of 19 Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM

I'm right there with ya! My 4 1/2 yr old adores her stuffed animals and creates elaborate imaginary scenarios for them. They are named. Plus it's hard for me to get rid of the ones that were presents from grandpa/grandma/etc when she was born. I just got some of those hanging nets from Ikea and put a lot of the animals in there where she can't reach them. Hopefully she'll forget about most of them and then I can ditch em!
#13 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 AM

i really hate stuffed animals. they are cute, but they drive me crazy.

::
#14 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 AM

I've come up with a perfect plan for this... I'm going to let DH at them I'll be doing good if the 6 I WANT to keep are around when he's done

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#15 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Ask the kids!!!
We jsut moved 2000 miles on very short notice, and were not able to bring a whole lot. I was doing some serious purging along with the packing (we also put a lot into storage). When we went through ds's room, I asked him to help me divide things into three piles. 1--toys to take (one box). 2--toys to toss. 3--stuff to store. he is 7. We went through toy by toy, and I would ask him "do you want this? do you play with it?" and you know, HE chose to get rid of a ton of stuff on his own!
Another option, if yo're into the garage sale idea, is to let the kids choose things to sell off, and let them keep the earnings from their stuff. DS was really excited about that, but I ended up doing a freesale instead of a yard sale due to time constraints (so we made the deal that I took him out to lunch instead of him getting cash off his stuff).
It was great. I didn't force him to get rid of anything he didn't want to. I did prompt a little with some things "I haven't ever seen you play with this" etc, but ultimately he made all teh decisions.

With a smaller child, who isn't able to think about things so objectively, you might consider the donation approach. We did that when ds was about 3--we each chose a couple of things (dh and I chose clothing, ds chose toys) that we then donated to charity. We just talked first about how we were blessed to have so much, and that some people have little or nothing, and we wanted to share...ds was thrilled to choose out a truck to donate, and over the coming months he reminded me periodically that he had given a truck to a little boy who didn't have one, and he hoped that that little boy raelly liked it.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#16 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I think what I'm going to do is just take the ones that were gifts from birth into a box as keepsakes and just donate the rest. This is my 3rd and final toy decluttering. The first time I went through with DD and asked her what we could give away that she didn't play with. (We got rid of alot and she actually had FUN doing it!) The 2nd time (what I just got done doing) was just get rid of anything we had left that was plastic. Now for my 3rd and final step, it's the stuffed animals. So thank you all for helping me form a "game plan" so-to-speak.
#17 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 05:44 PM

Does anyone know if there is another program like canel was referrng too? I thought I was going to send ours of but it took to long to get it together.
#18 of 19 Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM

I was inspired by this thread! This morning DD and I went through her stuffed animals together and put half of them into the garage to store "for later". It was much much easier for her this way since she knew I wasn't getting rid of them forever. Now after a few months go by, I'm sure it will be much easier to donate them.

This is about the third round of toy culling I've done in the past few months. Each time it gets easier and easier to see what she actually plays with.

Now to tackle the catch all toy box in the living room.
#19 of 19 Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
I was inspired by this thread! This morning DD and I went through her stuffed animals together and put half of them into the garage to store "for later". It was much much easier for her this way since she knew I wasn't getting rid of them forever. Now after a few months go by, I'm sure it will be much easier to donate them.

This is about the third round of toy culling I've done in the past few months. Each time it gets easier and easier to see what she actually plays with.

Now to tackle the catch all toy box in the living room.
oh yay!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page