"But they'll be FREAKS!" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 10-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't worry about them being freaks from no TV. We've already made them all into freaks, what with the:slings, EBF, family bed, homeschooling, novac, nocirc
#32 of 48 Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 PM

Well, you can put us in the freak category too then. Our children have never had a television- in fact, in the seven years that DH and I have been married, we have never owned a television (and we like it that way!)

And yeah, with everything else we do to make us freaks in our society:, what's one more, eh?
#33 of 48 Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
Don't worry about them being freaks from no TV. We've already made them all into freaks, what with the:slings, EBF, family bed, homeschooling, novac, nocirc
: so true! This thread is getting quite funny actually

I grew up with strictly limited TV to no TV at times. I believe it helped more than hurt

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#34 of 48 Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 PM

We had no TV until I was - maybe 12? And I would prefer a no-TV household, but it hasn't panned out. IME it helped us be better readers and more creative thinkers. The only time I felt really left out was in college when the girls on my floor were all googly over their memories of having rented Grease as pre-teens. And obviously it was a pretty fleeting experience.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#35 of 48 Old 10-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Can my little freeks join in the playing with the other little freeks? I enjoy no TV. I find I am less in a hurry because oh my goondess such and such show is on. We do have a tv. It get a whole 2 channels LOL. The thing is turned on maybe once a week if that and not by my kids or I but my grandmother. My kids to watch DVDs on the little tiny DVD player I have that can be car or house plug in. I find they play more together, and with their fav toys/dolls/stuffed animals now then before we had no TV. Works for me!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#36 of 48 Old 10-13-2007, 05:20 PM

As a child we weren't allowed to watch much tv. We weren't allowed to watch GI Joe(except the end with the moral), Dennis the Menace (he treated his mom very badly) and I wasn't allowed to watch the news for quite some time as a child (made me cry/worry).
It actually became a standing joke with most of my friends that I didn't know a TV show unless it was on PBS. I didn't really care, I had books and talking/playing with my family/friends.
Good for you on going TV-free! I wish some of my students' parents would do that or at least less tv...heck, these kids have seen more R rated movies then I have and I teach middle school! Bring on old fashioned play!
#37 of 48 Old 10-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Come share your thoughts about a tv forum for MDC over here:

Proposing a new Sub-Forum: TV-Free Families
#38 of 48 Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 PM

I was raised tv-free, and I'm a happy freak. We have one now, which gets used for movies once or twice a month. It's going to stay that way, too.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#39 of 48 Old 10-14-2007, 09:07 PM

hilarious!!! i didn't read all the posts, so i'm sorry if this is repeated. advertising to children is out of control on television. some of the stuff they're pushing on kids is freaky, imo.
#40 of 48 Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiem View Post
We have decided to do away with TV for the time/brain/money suck it creates.
We have been TV-free for years and I love it . We parents rent DVDs occasionally, but even that is rare. Our kids don't have any DVDs nor do we rent any for them. In our cohousing community, most of the children don't watch TV regularly. They play outside and build forts with cushions and stuff . I don't worry about how it will affect my kids because dh and I had very restricted TV viewing as children. Instead we both got really into this -->

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#41 of 48 Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM

Just chiming in to subscribe and to say that our near-4-year-old is having way to much fun doing real things to have time for TV.

As far as the belief that TV will expose them to too much, too early, it's well-accepted by many of our TV-loving acquaintances who complain about it, but don't act.

There's a spectrum that includes both fully-sheltered and loosely-regulated (with common sense and child-development in mind). It doesn't have to be one or the other: shelter your kid from everything or expose her to all TV has to offer.

Sorry, I'm ranting; I'll stop now
#42 of 48 Old 10-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
hilarious!!! i didn't read all the posts, so i'm sorry if this is repeated. advertising to children is out of control on television. some of the stuff they're pushing on kids is freaky, imo.
This is so true, and so sad. like a pp said that her children (TV free) know cartoon characters from seeing them in the grocery store. that says a lot about our culture, huh.

I wish we were TV free, but we have one (only 1) and use it pretty infrequently. we do like to watch sports, mostly baseball and football (especially dh...it is definatly an acquired taste for me) and NCIS and Numbers. (can you tell dh is law enforcement )

and actually, this is a huge step for me. i have always had a tv in my room and had it on for "background noise" all day long. new in am an pm mostly. I am actually suprised that i dont' miss it...that too speaks volumes to me.

i think with dd we will eventually let her watch a little PBS, but definatly not until after age 2. i LVOED mr rogers as a child. and the 2 showes we like come on after her bedtime, so it shouldn't be hard to keep it off when she is up. i also like the idea of family movie night. i think watching movies and discussing them can be a great way to teach children to think critically about all media, because lets face it. someday they will grow up, move away and have the choice to watch/listen to it or not. i think its really important to teach them tat not everything they see on TV or in movies is real or true.

I would love to read/post to a TV free MDC forum!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#43 of 48 Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM

Our TV is out! : I love it I love it I love it! Our home is so much more peaceful without it. I don't think it's freakish- there are a lot of us out there!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#44 of 48 Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Add our to kids to the freaks.

We do watch movies though.
Ditto - we watch DVDs on the laptop. My son was recently gifted a PS2 with a bunch of games and we tracked down a 17" set (also free) so that he could use it. There's no actual "television" to be had, it just serves as a monitor for the PlayStation. Thankfully, time on the system hasn't been an issue and days go by where he doesn't touch it
#45 of 48 Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
There's a spectrum that includes both fully-sheltered and loosely-regulated (with common sense and child-development in mind). It doesn't have to be one or the other: shelter your kid from everything or expose her to all TV has to offer.
Love this
#46 of 48 Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I grew up with alternately no TV and very limited TV, and I'm perfectly nor---wait, no I'm not. I'm on MDC!

My sister remembers going to school for the first time, and being baffled by all these kids who wanted to play Batman. She had no idea who Batman was. On the other hand, there were plenty of other subjects with which she could have happily engaged the other kids... except all they seemed to know about was Batman! I'd say they were freakier than her. And no, she doesn't seem to be permanently damaged.

DH and I don't have a TV, although we do watch a lot of shows (currently Buffy, M*A*S*H* and Voyager) on the computer. For us, getting a TV would seem like a huge step back. Who wants to be forced to watch a show when it happens to be on, with ad breaks every three minutes? How primitive! And no special DVD features? Bah.

I did Screen and Media Studies at Uni, and adore watching films, so I do plan to expose my kids to more films than we were allowed to watch at home. I never discovered Star Wars until I was about 16, and I wish my parents had rented it when I was younger, so I could have grown up on it. I never saw The Princess Bride until I was older, either; again, seems like a shame! Just like I look forward to sharing my favourite books with my kids, I look forward to sharing my favourite shows. There's something special about snuggling down with someone to watch The Sound of Music for the first time in her little life, no?

But getting a TV? Heck no. We have nowhere to put it; I don't need to watch reality shows or informercials; ads in NZ are incredibly inane; I really don't see the point in having one. If you were to offer me a fancy flatscreen, I'd be like 'Uh, thanks, could I take that in cash?'. Of course, a digital projector is another matter. I wonder if I can legitimately lobby for that as a 'homeschooling expense', against the day when my kidlings will benefit from watching Ancient Egypt documentaries in glorious wall-covering hugeness?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#47 of 48 Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM

My kids, 8yo and 5yo, are far from freaky. They go to a public school and have great social lives. It is usually only adults who appear puzzled when my kids don't know what they are refering to when asked about tv characters or shows.
#48 of 48 Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
We have a tv, just one. But we really dont watch a lot of tv already. We are remodeling etc and at one point this summer we didnt even have it hooked up for about 3 weeks. Not once did DD1 ask about it.

But we as a lifestyle, are not big tv people as it is. I cannot remember the last time we watched a movie etc because we always have something going on.
This is us (but our TV can be off for 3 weeks for no reason at all). I'm very proud that my 3yo will actually TURN IT OFF and go play!

As it is, we get alot of crap for our only TV with cable being 15". The big TV only has a DVD player hooked up to it and will be off for 6 months at a time. And although ds gets to watch SOME TV (minimal), he is STILL a freak because he's only allowed to watch specific programs (PBS of course) instead of the stupid nonsense all over the networks on Saturday mornings.

So there you have it: they can be freaks even WITH the tv.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page