My love/hate relationship with handmade gifts - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 10-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohhh....one more...a coupon for a block of BABYSITTING time.
#32 of 46 Old 10-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Most of the homemade gifts I've gotten are candles and bath stuff. I don't do candles (hate them) or baths. I usually toss the stuff after a month or two of shuffling it around.
#33 of 46 Old 10-15-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Doesn't anybody make one of these without the pukey cutesy heart cutout? In something other than oak?
Ha! I'm not sure, but the same one floated around our house til our first big decluter round!
#34 of 46 Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM

I really love consumable homemade gifts. I love making them, too. It's a labor of love
#35 of 46 Old 10-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Oh, I don't care for the country stuff, either. Just not my style--pretty, though.
#36 of 46 Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM

I like getting homemade soaps/candles, alcohol, foods (especially non-sweet things), layered jars (with instructions for cookies, etc) thoughtfully chosen arrangements of things from a local market (ie basket with a few small jars of jam or relish) and things I can't make for myself (crocheted, etc)

I don't like home decorations, unless it is a live plant.

I give home-made food items, local jams/relishes/soaps/candles/cheeses, woven rag placemats and carpets made by me with the person's individual style in mind, and sometimes sewn items. I'd like to get into quilting, but I'd want the quilts to be bed-sized, which would mean lots of work for very special people.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#37 of 46 Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Doesn't anybody make one of these without the pukey cutesy heart cutout? In something other than oak?
yup, mine had a big cheesy heart right in the center. If it wasn't for that dang heart I would've sanded the whole thing and painted it black.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#38 of 46 Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 PM

Stuff the heart opening with paper/cardboard, etc.

Cover the opening with drywall tape or similar product.

Cover the whole section with plaster, drywall mud, earth mud, craft putty, or similar.

Paint black!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#39 of 46 Old 10-16-2007, 06:51 PM

this isn't a huge issue for me, as i am usually the hand made gifter, not the giftee. one thing i try to keep in mind, even if i am mass producing things, is how to personalize them so they will reflect the recipient. last year most people got crocheted scarves from me, but they were all different. hunting bil got a camo one, biker bil got an orange and black one (harley davidson colors), niece that likes orange and pink got an orange and pink one, etc. i actually got a a great response from the recipients, and saw them wearing their scarves throughout the winter. this year, i'm tie dyeing lots of stuff, but again, in particular colors that people like, and with the understanding that most of the people wear tie dye anyway(lots of them were requests.). for those that i was unsure about, i asked. i guess so far it hasn't been a negative thing for me because i'm not making home decor items, or wacky holiday decorations, or crazy sweaters.

i would love recieving home made baby stuff, bath stuff, yummy sweets, useful stuff like knitted or crocheted dishcloths or hot pads, i even like the fleece blankets, i'm really not too picky.

i will say that several years ago an aunt went to a lot of trouble to crochet a large, elaborate blanket in the oddest colors ever (orange, yellow, white, green, brown, and black, i think.) she knows i like sort of "retro" stuff, and i guess that was the look she was going for. it looked like someone vomited up the 70s. i did have to give that one away. lol. it actually sort of made me feel bad, like wow, if she thinks i'd love this, she must think i have really bad taste...
#40 of 46 Old 10-17-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Stuff the heart opening with paper/cardboard, etc.

Cover the opening with drywall tape or similar product.

Cover the whole section with plaster, drywall mud, earth mud, craft putty, or similar.

Paint black!

Where were you 7 years ago when I got that thing??? It's long gone now

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#41 of 46 Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM

We are a military family that moves every 2-3 years. Homemade stuff that does not have a lot of sentimental meaning will be tossed. It's a fact of military life. I love homemade food. It's consumable, and you have to eat it within a certain time frame. Something like soap and candles is going to sit around forever because I don't want to "ruin" it, and then it's going to get tossed the month before the move. Unless I've specifically asked for it, large items will be recycled very quickly...just the logistics of it.

My mother is very crafty. Which can be great (she can sew/knit/quilt/crochet/cross-stitch/needlepoint anything) and...not so great (she has a tendency for VERY loud colors and patterns). It's great if I give her a specific idea (say, could you knit a light blue crewneck sweater?). However, when DD was born, I received some swaddlers that were just...holy cow. Literally neon hearts, the loudest tie-dye EVER, etc. My husband literally got dizzy looking at one of the patterns. There was no losing the baby in the crowd at least Plus, if it's something I can do (I can quilt, cross-stitch, sew) it's sort of anti-climactic.

That said, my poor mother has some HIDEOUS stuff I made as a kid...macrame mistletoe holder anyone?
#42 of 46 Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
That said, my poor mother has some HIDEOUS stuff I made as a kid...macrame mistletoe holder anyone?

you know, if your kids make you something, it's inherently valuable...no matter what kind of nonsense it is. that mistletoe holder is probably a treasured heirloom to your mom.
#43 of 46 Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
This thread gave me a light bulb: how about a post-holidays-my-handmade-gift-sucks swap?

I love consumables, too, if the person knows what they're doing. I got some apple jelly one year that tasted like gin. EW...
Sounds like they got their allspice mixed up with their juniper berries!

Love the idea of a 'tacky-homemade-gift' swap!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#44 of 46 Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 PM

I've never received a hand made gift other than those my children have done at school. I wouldn't mind though. Especially consumables! Yummy ones!
#45 of 46 Old 10-18-2007, 06:03 AM

Eh I shouldn't have read this thread! All gifts from us this year will be handmade--I just can't see myself going out and shopping for gifts for everyone. Oh well after I give them people can do whatever they want with them, include throw them out. I can never understand "swaps" and things that are sold on Etsy, though. I read so many blogs where people have swapped this or that or bought a necklace, and I just think, what the heck do they do with all that stuff?
#46 of 46 Old 10-18-2007, 03:28 PM

I've only ever received a handfull of handmade gifts...a gorgeous knit toddler hat and booties from one friend and a beautiful knit newborn cardigan from another. A knit poncho and a fleece poncho from family friends, were appreciated too. We also have a friend who sends baked goods around the holidays. We love it all. The only handmade gift I ever received that I never used was a country/cutsey themed baby quilt, bib, and pillow set. It just wasn't my taste at all, but I appreciated the thought and sentiment.

I have made knit merino wool hats/scarves, crocheted scarves, baby blankets, bean bag sets, wool crowns, fancy wands, jams, breads, spiced nuts, and baked goods galore. I recently made matching tutus and flower/ribbon wands for a joint b-day party for two little girls whose invite specified that small handmade gifts were always appreciated. We also made apron/towel sets with DD's handprints for the grandmas one year and picture frames for the grandpas.

I have no idea how our gifts are received, but I've decided to stick to quick things like baking. I put too much time/energy into knitting and other longer projects to never even have the items acknowledged. My poor brother lost the yummy scarf I made him last winter and was so heartbroken he actually called to ask if I would teach him how to crochet so that he could reproduce it. That totally earned him a gold star, and I will knit/crochet for him again.

ETA: with regard to the above comment, I LOVE craft swaps. Many of my favorite handmade items for the girls have been obtained this way...beautiful dress-up clothes, wonderful woodworked items, treasure bags, etc. It's the best kind of handmade gift too because you can ask for exactly what you want and you can often see samples of the person's work first too so you have a sense of what you'll be getting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page