Sell 2 2.35%
Other/Both 34 40.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I give. Mostly because I'm too lazy/disorganized to bother selling, but I also tend to trust that what goes around, comes around. I figure I'll stop finding great stuff that I need at awesome prices at the Goodwill, if nobody donates.

Giving = good 'stuff karma'
#32 of 46 Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 PM

I've always had pretty good luck with being given things I need. I try to pay that forward.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#33 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 AM

hey, i'm not ashamed. i sell if i can. i'll usually try for a few weeks and then donate if it's not moving.
#34 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 AM

A giver.

I had 2 years worth of baby gear and clothing that we could not part with. My idea was to sell it, thinking that money in the savings would out weigh the pain of parting with my son's baby stuff.

The nearest used kids shop is over an hour away and I took a load there once. I was shocked at how little they wanted to give me for the stuff, less than a $1 per item for nearly brand new items like infant sleepwear, winter clothing, buntings, etc. I am not going to throw out brand names but this stuff was high quality and in excellent condition. The funny thing was, when I declined to accept their offer, the saleslady acted quite put out and huffy.

I gave it all away. A newly married and pregnant couple down the street got all the gear (3 carseats, bouncy chairs, etc.) Another couple got a lot of clothes that they would not have been able to afford. The local shelter got all the sleepers and highly re-usable type of kid stuff. This was the only way I could emotionally pass it on, knowing that someone could benefit.

Household stuff I also give away. I had a yard sale once. It took me two full days to prepare and another full day to "sell" The total cash intake was about $35. Not worth the time and energy put into the process.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#35 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I also believe that what goes around comes around. When I've been truly in need of stuff, it's come to me anyway.
Oooh, I wish that were the case for us!! We're desperatly in need of a bunk bed. I was hoping for a half-height one (they sell them at Ikea, the lower mattress sits on the floor so that the higher bunk doesn't have to be scary high). We're stuck in a 2 bdr apartment for the time being, and our kids have to share a room. Unfortunatly, we only have one single bed...

We gave away two beds before we moved. A queen sized and a double sized - neither of which would have fit in the kids' room, anyway. It's so teensy. My argument to DH about giving them away instead of selling them was: "Don't worry, somebody will be giving away a bunk bed by the time we need to move." It's been nearly 6 months, bleh. I saw ONE bunk bed on Craigslist, being sold for $100. A little out of our price range, so I tried to talk him down a bit. No luck. Poor kiddo is still bedless.
#36 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM

Generally I'm a giver. If it's something that is going to bring in the big bucks if I sell it on e-bay or the like then I'll do it- otherwise- I give.
#37 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm a giver myself, but married to a HUGE seller. If I mention I want to get rid of something and/or give it to someone, he quickly checks out EBay or other auction sites to see if it will sell first, and will only let me give when it's not "worth something". I must admit that his way of doing things has made us some nice pocket money at times, but I just like make people happy by giving them something. But I'll admit that the times I tried to give my sister some nice clothes (like recently a DKNY skirt, for example, so no junk) and she refused them, I was kinda insulted. So the giving only feels good when people appreciate it. Is that weird/selfish or normal?

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
#38 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 PM

I chose both. Most of the time I'm a giver because I don't have time to sell things and I usually want them out RIGHT NOW Also, I live right down the street from Goodwill which is super convienent to drop stuff off. Usually I try to give things to friends first. I like the feeling of giving un-needed possessions out there into to the universe without asking for anything in return.

With that said, I do occasionally sell things. Typically they have to be items that I know will sell easily and I've probably already tried to give them away to friends first. Usually this is things like cloth diapers, slings, nice toys, etc. I usually only do this if I am trying to raise money for something specific. I just sold a bunch of our cloth diapers on the TP and took a ton of nice toys to a kids consignment store. The cloth diapers I purposedly listed for less than they were worth to give another mama a good deal. I just wanted to raise enough money for me to buy my kids a specific toy to replace a made in China toy that we purged. The nice toys gave us a credit at my fav kids consignment store, so I can get the kids clothes as needed. In these cases it was really worth a little effort for me to sell it.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#39 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
Oooh, I wish that were the case for us!! We're desperatly in need of a bunk bed. I was hoping for a half-height one (they sell them at Ikea, the lower mattress sits on the floor so that the higher bunk doesn't have to be scary high). We're stuck in a 2 bdr apartment for the time being, and our kids have to share a room. Unfortunatly, we only have one single bed...

We gave away two beds before we moved. A queen sized and a double sized - neither of which would have fit in the kids' room, anyway. It's so teensy. My argument to DH about giving them away instead of selling them was: "Don't worry, somebody will be giving away a bunk bed by the time we need to move." It's been nearly 6 months, bleh. I saw ONE bunk bed on Craigslist, being sold for $100. A little out of our price range, so I tried to talk him down a bit. No luck. Poor kiddo is still bedless.
Ah, but that's a very specific item you're looking for- that's hard to find even if you had the money to purchase new.

I'm thinking about things like "I lost weight and couldnt' afford clothes that fit" and somebody offered me 4 nearly-new blouses in the right size. They're not the exact style I would have chosen, but they serve the purpose. I gave away outgrown clothing and somebody else offers me a bag of hand-me-downs that fit my kids. Again, not exactly the styles I would have selected but it meets our basic needs.

For the bunk bed, I'd look for a "platform bed" and put a mattress on the floor underneath. If the legs are too long, they can be cut.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#40 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Hmm, you DID just give me a grand idea, Ruthla, with your comment about cutting legs off. Thank you. I'm going to have my husband look into the cost of wood to BUILD a freaking bed. He is a carpenter, after all. Duh.
#41 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 12:37 PM

if the goal is to declutter, selling your stuff is your biggest obsticle. If your goal is to make money, then sell your stuff.

Giving is so much easier
#42 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM

Both. I sell a few things, but mostly donate to the thrift store. I did recently give away all my baby stuff to a girl who's pregnant and doesn't have much.
#43 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I give. Most of my stuff is second hand anyway. I just send things back to the Salvation Army when I am done using them.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#44 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
:

You just convinced me to give my double stroller that I have been holding on to away!

I freaking hate it. Its so hard to operate.
Mom gave us one and I think I'm about ready to let it go since we have used it a handful of times, the kids are too big and we won't have any more close enough in age to need it. I had to move it earlier and I forgot how big and bulky it was! If either of my expecting SIL's (who both have little infants) don't want it, I think I'll freecycle it (I hate freecycle though!! It's a great concept but the people . I was going to try and sell it but I doubt I'd get much for it.
#45 of 46 Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 PM

I'm a giver, but am trying to change that. Not that I would ever stop giving completely, of course

I feel I would be more motivated to let go of more stuff if I knew that it would help me toward another goal. For example, right now I'm saving money for a new camera. Having that be the objective of a yard sale, opposed to the vague notion of living simply, offers more clarity, control and a firm, tangible expectation in my mind.

Am I making any sense?!
#46 of 46 Old 10-23-2007, 01:32 AM

I do both. Some things that I have given away were nice enough to sell, but I am like you. It makes me feel good to give. Although, I have sold a lot and that money I earn makes me feel good too

::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page