I need a Compacting buddy!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2007, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
So, I had to go to Kinko's yesterday because I had to get my registration renewed for my car, but my insurance card had the wrong address. So, I needed to print out a new one with the updated address, but we don't own a printer. So, I had to pay for a printout ($.49 plus some computer time to get it downloaded). Anyway, does this count as a new purchase, since technically it's a new piece of paper?

And, the thought just occurred to me (even though it would still be a new piece of paper), I could have done this at the library for cheaper, duh!
Susannah, it all depends on your personal Compact! I wouldn't consider that "breaking" my Compact because I don't usually think about a piece of paper that way--as a thing that I'm spending money on, bringing into my house. Sure, if you had your own printer, you could have printed it on the back of a piece of scratch paper, but you didn't have that as a possibility. And in most Compacts, health and safety items can be purchased new. I would probably consider this a safety item.

But it's totally up to you and what principles you want to follow in your Compact.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 11:43 PM

I would love to do a trial month. DH and I talked about it and he was concerned about tires. If we buy them used they have holes. We like to mountain bike a lot so this would be an issue. Other than that I will try it until December.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
I would love to do a trial month. DH and I talked about it and he was concerned about tires. If we buy them used they have holes. We like to mountain bike a lot so this would be an issue. Other than that I will try it until December.
Tires are a safety item, so they're not against the Compact.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 11-14-2007, 11:14 PM

How is everyone doing? All is well here. My boys need some socks though and I am having a tough time finding them used... I think I will have to buy them new.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 PM

If anyone's interested in hooking up on the Mamas on the Compact blog, drop me a lPM and I'll add you as a user.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:56 PM

Doing very well here. Nothing but food since spending the little bit at Kinko's for the print-out. I'm slightly desiring some stools to go with my outside table (we picked it up in a dumpster at a store, they were trashing it apparently since it only had 1 chair but was supposed to be a 5 piece set). I'm sure I'll find something eventually, though. I can be very patient when I want to be
Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Doing well here too, but it doesn't hurt that I have a brand-new babe keeping me at home and not spending. Although, I suppose I COULD be surfing the internet looking for cute girly things now that I know her gender, but I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
If anyone's interested in hooking up on the Mamas on the Compact blog, drop me a lPM and I'll add you as a user.
Is this for bloggers only or any compacter looking for support?

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM

I'm having no troubles sticking to my compact either, since DH lost his job! Woo hoo, nothing like a little financial scare to help you stop consuming!

I'm on the Mamas on the Compact blog, but I haven't posted in, like, forever :. It would be totally fun if more people were involved and posting, making a little compacting-blogging community.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 PM

I do have one question. It's not something I'm concerned about for the month, but if I do a year then I might face it. What do you do for thread for sewing? My mom's got a lot of thread I can use for a while, but it won't last me forever. I'm thinking this might be something I have to just put as an exception for my personal compact.

ETA: I think I'm answering my own question. I'm looking on eBay and finding a few ads for thread that was found at an estate sale or such. I think it's doable to only buy thread someone else bought new and then didn't use.

I'm still interested in other's experiences, though!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 PM

BTW, there is a yahoo group too. It is sooo big though. Maybe we could do a smaller thing here on MDC every month.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
I do have one question. It's not something I'm concerned about for the month, but if I do a year then I might face it. What do you do for thread for sewing? My mom's got a lot of thread I can use for a while, but it won't last me forever. I'm thinking this might be something I have to just put as an exception for my personal compact.

ETA: I think I'm answering my own question. I'm looking on eBay and finding a few ads for thread that was found at an estate sale or such. I think it's doable to only buy thread someone else bought new and then didn't use.

I'm still interested in other's experiences, though!
Another way you might handle the thread question (depending on what you're comfortable with) would be to buy it from a local sewing store, as opposed to a giant craft superstore. Supporting your local suppliers and artisans is part of the spirit of the Compact.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Another way you might handle the thread question (depending on what you're comfortable with) would be to buy it from a local sewing store, as opposed to a giant craft superstore. Supporting your local suppliers and artisans is part of the spirit of the Compact.
What is the general feeling about Ebay? Yes, it's used, but generally needs to be shipped quite a distance.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 PM

I dont know about ebay, but you compacting mams have inspired me to use the swap board, and instead of buying the last presents I need, I have been able to find quite a few by just exchanging my stuff for nice things to gift. I stay at home with my 2 lil ones, so I cant scour thrift stores too long with them, so I just have to pay shipping on my stuff out, and its like staying home and shopping, at least I dont have to buy the gas to go out and get presents for the fam. I'm starting to learn I really can stop buying things new.
For ebay, I guess I'd say its good for some things. I would consider perhaps if there is something particular you need, maybe try to focus searching ebayers in your state and surrounding states, that way if you do have to buy it, it won't be shipped across the country?

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 11-23-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I fell off the wagon today.

We went on a coffee date on Sunday and lost one of Anna's mittens - her only pair. With hubby back at work and the new babe nursing ALL THE TIME, I'm just not getting out to the thrift store. And it's getting cold here, so the kid needs mitts. I ordered some handmade ones on Etsy today. So, I was bad, but I could have been worse.

User Tag List