I need a Compacting buddy!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 10-22-2007, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been seriously thinking about signing a Compact as a New Year's resolution. I've talked to DH about the Compact, but would have to check and see if he'll sign on. We already practice a lot of the rules, so it wouldn't be a total shock for us.

Anyone else on board?

Experienced Compacters: Any advice for a novice?

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#2 of 44 Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 AM

oh, that's a great idea....ing
#3 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping.

Okay, so I've been reading the Compacting thread from last fall and I'm really interested in exploring this further, either for the New Year or even sooner. I talked to DH about it yesterday and it went over like a lead balloon! I don't know anyone IRL who will Compact with me, and I really, really think it's wise to have a support person/sounding board while taking the plunge.

I can post links to the old thread if anyone's interested.

I don't think I'll stick with it if I don't have someone to help me stay accountable.

Anyone? Anyone?

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#4 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM

I tried compacting last year (starting October 1st) and I didn't quite make it a month. I'd like to do another, modified version. I'm thinking about doing a no-big-box-store compact. I would still like to support independent artisans and craftspeople. But, maybe going all the way would be a great exercise in restraint and anti-consumerism. I have to think about it. I'm interested though!
#5 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 03:10 PM

#6 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calidarling View Post
I would love to compact, however, I have no idea where I would even start. And...I live in an apartment.

All I really know about compacting is that my grandmother does it by putting the daily scraps into a plastic bag by the sink and every few days she goes and tosses it all in a pile by the fence.

Teach me your ways and I will join you.
Calidarling, I think you're thinking of composting. Check out the pledge of what I think is the original Compact group here.

Anyhoo, when I was first thinking of Compacting, one of the longer-term Compacters suggested that even *trying* and failing sometimes was a good step because it would raise my awareness. I found that very encouraging!

I Compacted (imperfectly) from August 1 to October 1. I would love to get back into it. I'm not perfect, but awareness is important. I'd like to make this a long-term thing for my household (though DH is not so enthused), but I still make some un-Compact-like purchases, and I probably always will. But that's just me.

I have seen that some Compacters have partners who are not so excited about it, but it still makes a positive impact. For example, in our household, I make most of the major purchases, or am the driving force behind them, so even just my shopping choices make an impact.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#7 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, my DH has said he'll be supportive, but he won't commit to the Compact himself. That said, he's quite conservative in his spending and isn't opposed to buying used or Freecycling. I think I've already rubbed off on him with my thrifty ways, and he would probably make a few lifestyle changes just by living in the same house with me.

I'm still thinking it would be good to have a buddy (or a few ); someone to look to for support and to bounce questions off of.

#8 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 AM

I'll be your buddy if you'll be mine!

(BTW, I'm a transplanted Manitoban--living in Utah now.)

#9 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 02:12 PM

hey -- can I get in on the game? I'm only committing for one month. I just want to do enough to get back to my normal habits and I can't envision a long-term commitment.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I'll be your buddy if you'll be mine!

(BTW, I'm a transplanted Manitoban--living in Utah now.)
You got yourself a deal, fellow Canuck!!! (I'm in Alberta.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
hey -- can I get in on the game? I'm only committing for one month. I just want to do enough to get back to my normal habits and I can't envision a long-term commitment.
I'll do a trial month with you...want to start on 01 November? That way, the holidays can be a time to reflect and see if I'm ready to sign up for a year on 01 January. Brilliant!

I'll write up a Compact for myself tonight after the little uns stop ringing the doorbell.

VeganCupcake, OliveGirl, calidarling, hellyaellen...you in too?

#11 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
You got yourself a deal, fellow Canuck!!! (I'm in Alberta.)

I'll do a trial month with you...want to start on 01 November? That way, the holidays can be a time to reflect and see if I'm ready to sign up for a year on 01 January. Brilliant!

I'll write up a Compact for myself tonight after the little uns stop ringing the doorbell.

VeganCupcake, OliveGirl, calidarling, hellyaellen...you in too?
Yes, I'm in!

#12 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I've got buddies!

#13 of 44 Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM

sweet.

November 1 and it seems very appropriate that today I get my "christmas fund" money deposited into my account -- my credit union take 40 bucks each month and puts it into a christmas fund, to be put into my checking acct on nov 1.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#14 of 44 Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 PM

:
#15 of 44 Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 AM

this is a good month for me to try it! i'm in.
#16 of 44 Old 11-03-2007, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
this is a good month for me to try it! i'm in.
Woo hoo!

How is everyone doing so far?

I resisted the urge to buy new diaper covers, figuring I have time before I need them to find some used.

We spent a bunch of money today on new brakes and an oil change, but that's a safety item, so we're good!

I (reluctantly) let DH take us out for dinner, but I insisted it be a locally-owned place. It was a bit more of a drive than a chain restaurant would have been, but, mercy, was it good.

I'm keeping my eyes open at the thrift stores for holiday gifts for the kids. I managed to do most of DD's birthday shopping by thrifting, including the most gorgeous Ukranian nesting dolls, so I'm optimistic the thrifting gods will be with me again.

#17 of 44 Old 11-03-2007, 04:40 AM
Banned

I will be in for a month. I am considering '08 as the year of the Compact for our household as well. We actually did it in September, without meaning to -- we just looked back over the month and it had happened. So I am in!
#18 of 44 Old 11-04-2007, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPie View Post
I will be in for a month. I am considering '08 as the year of the Compact for our household as well. We actually did it in September, without meaning to -- we just looked back over the month and it had happened. So I am in!
That's pretty much my plan...Compact for the month, evaluate for a month, then see if I'm ready to take the plunge for a longer period.

Good job on the accidental September Compact!

#19 of 44 Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#20 of 44 Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM

hi, i'd like to try....would you mamas be interested in another member of your group?
#21 of 44 Old 11-06-2007, 01:28 PM

I'd like to try too. More room available on the good ship compact?
#22 of 44 Old 11-06-2007, 02:48 PM

hey the more the merrier!!!

i've resisted the clearance bins at kroger. i already have 2 deoderants, 2 toothpastes, all our cookery stuff is in storage or headed there anyway....but still it was mighty tempting

however i did get a 25cent pair of pajama bottoms b/c well because they were on clearance at work...but i'm going to donate 1 maybe 2 full sets of pajamas to goodwill, perhaps that will balance things out a bit. i'll be helping others not to buy new: lame excuse i know.

but i will do better
#23 of 44 Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM

I'll join in, too. I'm pretty sure we're already living this way, but I'd like to track it more closely. I'm in for a month or a year - whatever anyone else is game for.
#24 of 44 Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing well so far. Mind you, I feel like I have the flu AND some contractions AND am going to the hospital every two days for NSTs, so it's not hard to avoid the temptation to shop.

We ate out once and are ordering pizza tonight (DH is in charge of dinner since I don't feel up to cooking), but both of those were locally-owned indulgences, so we're sticking to that, at least.

Maybe it was a cop-out committing to Compact on the month I'm due...ah, well.

#25 of 44 Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM

Oh, I thought it was going to start with the new year! Okay, no biggie, I think. I'll join in with you right now. I guess my month will run from the 7th until the 6th.
#26 of 44 Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
Oh, I thought it was going to start with the new year! Okay, no biggie, I think. I'll join in with you right now. I guess my month will run from the 7th until the 6th.
I'm doing a trial month before committing to the full year. It will freak out my DH a lot less.

#27 of 44 Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM

how do you find new to you furniture when you need it? With the holidays coming up, we will be having guests and there are a few broken items I'd like to replace like our falling apart computer desk. I'm trying not to buy new, but sometimes its hard to find it used at goodwill, etc. when you need it. any ideas?

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#28 of 44 Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 PM

I've used Craigslist for furniture several times (big selection there) and also eBay by searching by zip code. Also, church rummage sales and community garage sales usually have some furniture. The newspaper classifieds used to be a good source, don't know if they still are.
#29 of 44 Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 PM

I'll have to check around and see whats there. We have a great classifieds for our area I'd forgotten about. thanks!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#30 of 44 Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 PM

So, I had to go to Kinko's yesterday because I had to get my registration renewed for my car, but my insurance card had the wrong address. So, I needed to print out a new one with the updated address, but we don't own a printer. So, I had to pay for a printout ($.49 plus some computer time to get it downloaded). Anyway, does this count as a new purchase, since technically it's a new piece of paper?

And, the thought just occurred to me (even though it would still be a new piece of paper), I could have done this at the library for cheaper, duh!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page