Alternatives to Flylady? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I signed up for Flylady a couple of years ago, but after a few days I got tired of all the emails and the standard in Flylady seemed to high to match my ideals. I would really appreciate links to places like Flylady but something less obsessive.

Thanks!

Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could try Motivated Moms. It's a printable schedule for cleaning; it just costs a few dollars.

http://www.motivatedmoms.com/
#3 of 21 Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 PM

I also recommend Motivated Moms. Or you could just stop the emails from Fly Lady and use her website as a guide...I know some do that rather than get the 50 emails a day
#4 of 21 Old 10-23-2007, 10:36 PM

I've heard good things about the Holiday Grand Plan: http://holidaygrandplan.com/

And also Organized Home: http://www.organizedhome.com/

As for FlyLady.... I'd recommend ditching the emails. 90% of the people I've talked to have said that they don't find them helpful and they just make them feel bad. I think that's especially true when you're just starting out, FlyLady teaches baby steps... the problem is, the mailing list just isn't for people who are taking their first steps, know what I mean?

What I had to do was to take what I could from the program (I bought the book so I didn't have to look at that hideous website).... Stuff like the idea of baby steps, the control journal, 27 fling boogie, working for 15 minutes a day... and then just made it my own. Who cares what FlyLady is recommending you clean today? My house isn't hers, my needs aren't the same as hers. Make it your own and don't worry about what's going on in the mailing list.
#5 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 AM

I ditched the emails at flylady too because I don't check my email that often & they build up. I check into the website when I need motivation, and I just do my own thing meantime. Some of her attitudes help motivate me to do better, but the emails bug.
#6 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomom View Post
I also recommend Motivated Moms. Or you could just stop the emails from Fly Lady and use her website as a guide...I know some do that rather than get the 50 emails a day
This is basically what I do (I do get the emails but I delete most without reading them. I really don't need 20 testimonials touting her wares every day!!). The emails have been wonky anyway lately. I just do what suits me and ignore the rest . I just write what I want to get done each day on my white board and use that as my guide.
#7 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM

Another great website is organizedhome.com [/URL] It's free and has lots of lists and things you can print off.
#8 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 02:45 PM

You can make your own customizable chore lists here. I like it.

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#9 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you all!

I just need someone to do the work for me. Now is that too much to ask.

Anne
SNemelka likes this.
#10 of 21 Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm another one for the Motivated Moms calendar... and she's really made some good improvements with the 2008 calendar (see the preview on the site).

And agreed: if you read FlyLady's book "Sink Reflections", it is night and day from the website/e-mails. The book is W O N D E R F U L, realistic and very motivating. I'm now working on my own version planner that is a cross between the two that will work a little better for me. But I still have a control journal and love it.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#11 of 21 Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiana View Post
What I had to do was to take what I could from the program (I bought the book so I didn't have to look at that hideous website).... Stuff like the idea of baby steps, the control journal, 27 fling boogie, working for 15 minutes a day... and then just made it my own. Who cares what FlyLady is recommending you clean today? My house isn't hers, my needs aren't the same as hers. Make it your own and don't worry about what's going on in the mailing list.
I do the same... There are things about FlyLady I really like, and things that really bug me. I find her standards a bit unrealistic for families with young kids, especially if you AP. (For example, making the bed right when you get out of it doesn't work if you have a family bed and there are still kids or dh sleeping in it.) If I totally did her system I feel like I would be constantly doing little cleaning jobs, addressing hot spots, etc. and never doing stuff with my kids. I know some people love it and have great success with it... but for me I just do what I can. Some days our home is relatively clean and organized and dinner is planned... and somedays it's not. I think that is OK when you have kids!
#12 of 21 Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM

I always say that the flylady must not have kids OR pets b/c her plan calls for *ten minutes* of vacuuming a *week*!!!!! Hah!! It takes me that long just to do my couch once...
#13 of 21 Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Thank you! I was starting to think my house was just disgusting! I have to sweep/vacuum at least every other day and then there's still stuff on the floor.

Sorry, I don't know of an alternative, just wanted to share!
#14 of 21 Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 PM

FYI, if you're considering Motivated Moms but wish you didn't have to wait till January for it to start (2007 is no longer for sale), I bought the 2008 the other day and got an email from her saying that 2008 purchasers can have the 2007 for free.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#15 of 21 Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
I always say that the flylady must not have kids OR pets b/c her plan calls for *ten minutes* of vacuuming a *week*!!!!! Hah!! It takes me that long just to do my couch once...
If I remember correctly from her book, she used to be a SHE who suffered from extreme CHAOS (for the uninitiated, those are flylady terms). I think her bio said she has one child, and she developed all this stuff after he had grown up. I remember reading that and thinking, "that explains a lot!"

BTW - I am not knocking her... she has some wonderful ideas that I've used, and she's helped many people and she's probably a great person too.. her system just feels too rigid for me and doesn't work for our family.
#16 of 21 Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Two ideas -

If you like FlyLady, but don't like the emails, do the stuff she talks about on her website (Flying Lessons, I think the beginning section is called) or get her book, Sink Reflections.

If you totally hate FlyLady, a good alternative is the book written by Cynthia Townley Ewer, the lady who runs the OrganizedHome.com website. It's called House Works. FABULOUS book!

http://www.amazon.com/Houseworks-Clu...3496326&sr=8-1

For those of you in the UK, there's even a UK edition (check out Amazon UK).

lady.gif
#17 of 21 Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
If you totally hate FlyLady, a good alternative is the book written by Cynthia Townley Ewer, the lady who runs the OrganizedHome.com website. It's called House Works. FABULOUS book!

http://www.amazon.com/Houseworks-Clu...3496326&sr=8-1

For those of you in the UK, there's even a UK edition (check out Amazon UK).
I just posted about this book a couple days ago. I love it too! I now have my chores around the house broken down by frequency. Also on her website, I printed the periodic table of household chores. It's a guideline for how often things should be done. Very helpful!
#18 of 21 Old 10-27-2007, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
I just posted about this book a couple days ago. I love it too! I now have my chores around the house broken down by frequency. Also on her website, I printed the periodic table of household chores. It's a guideline for how often things should be done. Very helpful!
Maybe I should check into that book because that's along the lines of what I was going to modify from Motivated Moms... Give myself a "daily" list and then a list of things that need to be done that month--and pick one when I have some time to do somthing... kwim? I found myself able to tackle something upstairs one day and crossing it off on the list of a few days after. I keep getting all screwed up. So I figure if I just have a list for the week or month and assign myself time each day to do SOMEthing, then it will all get done... kwim?

Off to the library!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#19 of 21 Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 PM

I get a daily reminder from this website: http://www.menus4moms.com/homeorganization/ and I really like it. ONE email a day. I'm also signed up to get one weekly email with the next week's menu plan. There's a lot of great stuff on there.
#20 of 21 Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
Hmmm....maybe that's why my floors look lke crap. You're supposed to spend more than 10 minutes on them??!???!!!???
#21 of 21 Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 AM

Thanks for some great links. I'm still laughing about the 10 min of sweeping a week. yea, right.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page