Living without closets? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 11-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm excited for your little slice of heaven!!! Here are links to Delight's apartments:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7594309114341/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7600025082938/
#32 of 35 Old 11-03-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

wow... that apartment is lovely...and so airy!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#33 of 35 Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
The roof is peaked so there is about 220 sq ft of "full height" space down the middle and another 200 sq ft of "short" space. The chimney flue unfortunately runs about three feet in from the wall at one end of the "full height" section so we'll need to plan around that. We'll build shelving into the short space but want to keep it open in order to maintain the feeling of space.
I'm not quite "seeing" where the flue is, but I get the peaked roof thing. Your "short" areas are where the roof meets the floor at something like a 45° angle? If so, how about building storage space (basically just built-in cabinets on both sides about a yard high (give or take). That way the angle ends about a yard higher and allows you to put furniture against the walls. And depending on where the flue is exactly you can build the cabinets flush against it, or just round off the cabinets leaving shelves on the ends or build shelves going around the flue.
Here's a very crude sketch of what I mean:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...us/storage.jpg
ETA: I didn't mean for the storage areas to end up looking like they are built out of the wall in the flue sketches. My error, but I think you get what I mean . . . hopefully.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#34 of 35 Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 PM

We recently bought an 1880 farmhouse with no closets. It was difficult. To say the least. On Friday of last week, we had a contractor finally complete a small double walk- in closet our bedroom. We simply could not take it any longer! I am not a clothes person, but I do need to find stuff...and now I can. The contractor built a bunch of shelves -- I have my side, dh has his--. I love it. I can find what I need now.

Most of the seasonal stuff is in the basement on racks, and the children have free -standing wardrobes.
#35 of 35 Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We don't have closets in this old house! We have lots of shelves, though, and mostly I store things in baskets on the shelves to keep them organized. Broom, mop, etc. I keep in a large wooden box with the handles sticking out.

Clothing is in dressers or on hooks.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page