Mothering Forum banner

What kind of mop do you use?

3K views 31 replies 30 participants last post by  Wolfcat 
#1 ·
I prefer to wash the ceramic tile by hand. We have a lot of it though and four kids, so some times I just don't have the time to do it the way I prefer. It still needs to be mopped though.

I don't really like a sponge mop or a string mop. I've been looking for one with a terry cloth removable/washable head. I bought one from O Cedar a couple days ago but when I got home, saw it is actually microfiber. Plus it doesn't flex to get into a bucket of water.

Does anyone have a mop you like a lot?

I'm actually contemplating ditching the mop idea altogether and if I don't have time to wash on my hands and knees, getting my cloths wet and standing on them and "skate cleaning" the floor. It wouldn't be perfect, but at least my feet wouldn't stick to the floor like they do at the moment.

See less See more
#3 ·
I use a swiffer mop, but instead of the disposable covers, I use a microfiber towel cut to fit. I use my regular floor cleaner. Works great for me. I occasionally will wipe tougher spots by hand, but the mop does the job nearly always.

#5 ·
We don't have an actual mop. We use a floor squeegee wrapped with a rag of some kind. Usually we use an old t-shirt, but you could use an old towel if you like terry. I like that fact that the rag can be washed each time and that it doesn't take heads that have to be purchased. We just use whatever old clothes we have.

#6 ·
I too prefer to hand-wash the floors (and we have a LOT of tile-- 1700 sq feet of it). It really doesn't take that long compared to dealing with a mop, cleaning the mop afterwards, etc. I just use a bar towel and bucket of plain hot water. My floors have never looked cleaner. I only wash them as needed, about every other week for the main room, once a week for the kitchen, the bedrooms can go a couple of months except for spot mopping.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalmax View Post
I use a Hoover Floormate....and I LLLOOOOVVVEEEE it.

I can mop at sweep at the same time -- and I find I mop LOTS more because of it. Plus I can use whatever I want in the canister...
I have a floormate too- but with our white kitchen floor and 2 black dogs, sometimes we lay the soapy water down, scrub it with an old broom, and suck it up with the floormate. If it is exceptionally grubby. Other than that we have a string mop that we got through a restaurant supply place- which I don't recommend because it is huge and tends to be a pain to store.

ETA: with the water in the canister: BARF! It is amazing how dirty the floors get even when they look clean... yuck yuck yuck.

#14 ·
I really like my SH-mop. I use the method recommended in Speed Cleaning. You make a mild ammonia-warm water solution in your clean kitchen sink. You get a clean terry cover and wet it in the solution and squeeze out excess and put on mop. You mop until the cover gets dirty, then chuck it in the laundry and take a clean cover, and repeat the process until the whole floor is clean. The kitchen sink stays clean, you are always washing with clean solution (not yucky bucket water), and you skip the bucket. Your machine machine does the cleanup. The large head of the SH-mop adds to the efficiency. I also like the Speed Cleaning method of using a cleaning apron with a scraper and cleaning brush in it for attacking random gobs on the floor that one finds when one has kids

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
I bought one from O Cedar a couple days ago but when I got home, saw it is actually microfiber. Plus it doesn't flex to get into a bucket of water.
I used to work for a cleaning company many years ago where we were required to mop on hands and knees. When I clean floor I want it to look like that. We have all wood floors in our house and I think I have the mop you are describing. I actually really like it! You aren't supposed put it into a bucket, you are supposed to take the cover off, swish it around in your water/cleaner then squeeze it out and replace. It isn't like a typical mop, it really works more like washing the floors by hand with a damp rag. The microfiber works really well to polish my black wood kitchen floor also. Every once in a while I get down on hands and knees and get a little better in the corners, but for everyday cleaning that mop is amazing!

I have 3 covers for mine actually, so I throw them all into the cleaning solution when I make it in the sink. Then I mop until the cover starts to get dirty, then toss it in the laundry and use the next one. This way like the PP said, you are mopping with fresh stuff, not dirty stuff swirled around in it. On the rare occasion that I only have 1 available, I rinse the cover out in really hot water before putting it back into the solution. Really this makes a huge difference!

#22 ·
I like a string mop with the looped style strings sewn together at the end, they sell them for commercial cleaning. You can even wash them instead of buying a new one every time! Get the kind that clamps on to the end of the mop handle - NOT the kind that screws. The screw-on type tries to unscrew itself when you wring out the mop.
I think Rubbermaid makes a good commercial mop like I described (heck, they might've made mine lol)

#23 ·
I use the Libman Wonder Mop on my wood floors and my tile. You can remove the mophead to wash it in the washing machine and you can get replacement heads when needed. It has the microfiber strips and is small enough that you don't need a huge mopbucket like the rectangle-headed mops.

#24 ·
i use something that looks like the method mop but that isnt whats its called, i got it off of amazon a while ago and i read about it in "organic household".

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I really like my SH-mop. I use the method recommended in Speed Cleaning. You make a mild ammonia-warm water solution in your clean kitchen sink. You get a clean terry cover and wet it in the solution and squeeze out excess and put on mop. You mop until the cover gets dirty, then chuck it in the laundry and take a clean cover, and repeat the process until the whole floor is clean. The kitchen sink stays clean, you are always washing with clean solution (not yucky bucket water), and you skip the bucket. Your machine machine does the cleanup. The large head of the SH-mop adds to the efficiency. I also like the Speed Cleaning method of using a cleaning apron with a scraper and cleaning brush in it for attacking random gobs on the floor that one finds when one has kids
What's an SH mop?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.