Homemade Christmas Presents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-27-2007, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone!

I've already posted this on the crafts section of this website but I thought I could post it here too. I'm assuming it falls under simplifying?

I'm sure everyone is aware that Christmas is coming and for many years I've been buying gifts. I want this year to be different, so I've decided to make my own presents. I have some ideas but I've got this so far:
·homemade gift baskets (okay, they do require buying things, but I figure they're cheaper and more thoughtful than buying them already made!)
·homemade vouchers/coupons for babysitting/car washes/personal time/household chores
·stories or journals for friends about how you met them, their good qualities etc. with quotes and pictures
·calenders (one of my friends brought a make-your-own calender and added photos with captions and drawings and I thought it was really special)
·buying a goat on behalf of someone else (through world vision etc)
·painting pictures on canvas'
I would love it if anyone else who is experienced at making their own gifts could share their ideas/experiences. I'm sick of the materialism of Christmas and would like to put a little more love and joy into my presents!

Thanks in advance!!
#2 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 12:16 AM

Great idea - and thanks for the reminder to start thinking about this now! I have always made holiday gifts - ranging from etched glasses to scarves to bags to wood cutting boards etc. I keep meaning to do professionally printed photo books, lots of sites have these - flickr, kodak, blurb, lulu... Have you checked out www.craftster.org for ideas? of, if you would rather buy handmade unique gifts, www.etsy.com

good luck
#3 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 03:58 AM

www.organizedchristmas.com has an awesome Journal Jar idea with printable labels and prompts. I'm making a few of those for friends and family.
#4 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 AM

I'm doing mostly hand made presents this year, they include...

* potted tomatoes I've grown from seed
* potted capsicum plants
* lemon honey/curd/butter (or whatever you call it lol)
* home brewed ginger beer
* cushion covers from recycled fabrics
* bath salts
* wooden beaded bracelets/cotton thread friendship bracelets - for niece
* photo's on canvas
* dress up outfits
* crocheted hairbands for girls/or refashioned from girls leggings
* hot rice packs (like wheat packs)
* good quality honey for gift pack

That's what I have planned for this year anyway.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#5 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 12:15 PM

We brew our own beer, wine, pop, and liquor. This is a surprisingly inexpensive hobby, partially because we give this stuff as gifts. We usually order thru Midwest Brewing Supply. You can buy a box of Super Yeast for under $10, add to it 5 gallons water and 5 # sugar and you get 5 gallons of white liquor, which you can add all sorts of flavors to to approximate top shelf liquors (you can give this stuff away, but don't try to sell it unless you want ATF agents at your door ). We give Bailey's to my dad, Myers to my mom, Irish Whiskey to my uncles, etc. We end up with 25 fifths of liquor for less than the cost of one fifth from the liquor store.

For non-drinkers, we give away 6 packs of pop, mead, and condiments. We make and can chocolate syrup, hot fudge sauce, caramel rum sauce, pancake syrup, ketchup, salsa, and jam.

We also have given mixes in the past, too. Pancake mix (the key to this dry buttermilk), brownie mix, and cranberry coconut cookie mix are all easy- the trick is to use a wide mouth Mason jar and use a spice jar or a small rubber spatula to push all the powdery ingredients down into layers for good presentation. Other good ones are onion dip mix, barbeque seasoning rubs, and soup mix. I cover the lids with fabric and make pretty gift tags, as well as labels with the ingredients in the mix and cooking/baking instructions. Usually I include a plastic one piece Mason jar cap (rather than the usual two piece metal rings and lids) with the gift, too- for whatever reason, people LOVE this, and the presents go over better this way.

For a lot of reasons, we try to only give consumables as gifts. So if we can't give food, we try to give gift wrap and supplies, rechargable batteries, CFLs, packages of blank CDs, etc.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#6 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 PM

We are doing homemade gift baskets. We found christmas baskets at the dollar store (for a dollar a piece of course). I have been making jams and jellies like crazy (fun entertainment for me, food for us, and gifts too!). DH made wine (his first batch of wine, he made 28 bottles. I don't remember what the cost overall was though) and it is quite good (well, we had to test a bottle). I also have this book about making gifts (like a batch of cookie mix in a mason jar) and we might put those in there.

We got caught with a second house after a move for DH's job (we had the other house under contract, then it fell through, and of course this is in S. Florida where the housing bubble burst and nothing is moving). We are broke and really can't afford much. We will buy presents for the kids (nieces and nephews), but are trying to go simple, and keep it to 10-15$
#7 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
www.organizedchristmas.com has an awesome Journal Jar idea with printable labels and prompts. I'm making a few of those for friends and family.
This was the link I was going to post....I'm going to give these to aunts, Godmothers, etc. I'm also making notecard sets and layered mixes for cookies in Mason jars.
#8 of 10 Old 10-28-2007, 03:53 PM

My family is exchanging homemade food gifts this year. I just canned some Asian pear/applesauce from the trees in our backyard. I plan to make small loaves of bread to go with it. My mom canned peach jam and plans to make some blueberry jam too.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#9 of 10 Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 PM

just swooning a bit over these delicious ideas
#10 of 10 Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 PM

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page