Our Free Light and Heat Source! Sweet! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-28-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just read the thermometer inside and outside: Inside 74*, outside 50*! All because of our rockin' storm door glass and southern exposure! All lights and heat are currently turned off and have not been on all day (the heat has not been on once this year).

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 PM

what a great idea!
#3 of 18 Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 PM

that's awesome!
#4 of 18 Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Awesome. My house does not have Southern Exposure but I wish it did.
The apartment we lived in when we were first married had great Southern Exposure. So great that one year we did not notice we had no heat until the first week of December.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#5 of 18 Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, y'all. We realized it by accident. We replaced the storm door and that sucker heats up!
#6 of 18 Old 10-31-2007, 05:33 PM

Yaay! Our sliding glass door is a SE exposure, and the loooong wall of our apartment is all south, so we get bright morning sun in the living room, and warm and bright all day long, except for dd's bedroom. Last winter the heat rarely went on, though our ac ran a lot this summer!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#7 of 18 Old 10-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976 View Post
Yaay! Our sliding glass door is a SE exposure, and the loooong wall of our apartment is all south, so we get bright morning sun in the living room, and warm and bright all day long, except for dd's bedroom. Last winter the heat rarely went on, though our ac ran a lot this summer!
our apartment is the same way, we are usually opening the door to let the cold air in vs turning on the heat.
#8 of 18 Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm soooooooooooo jealous!
#9 of 18 Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM

Awesome!

Very little southern exposure here, so no such luck.
#10 of 18 Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes! In the summer we have to close the heavy old wooden door to deflect the heat. But still never need to cut lights on, at least!
#11 of 18 Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Thats what we do too! We have a huge picture window and a sunroom/family room with all windws all on the Southern side of the house. I gets HOT during the day in the middle of the winter. We have insulating shades that get closed around 4 when the sun starts going down to keep the heat in. Love it and its free!!!
#12 of 18 Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeden&connersmom View Post
Thats what we do too! We have a huge picture window and a sunroom/family room with all windws all on the Southern side of the house. I gets HOT during the day in the middle of the winter. We have insulating shades that get closed around 4 when the sun starts going down to keep the heat in. Love it and its free!!!
That is awesome! Now if we could only get builders to build all their houses with big windows on the southern side!
#13 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 AM

We have our biggest windows facing South and it's so nice to get all that sun in. Yay free heat!
#14 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
We have our biggest windows facing South and it's so nice to get all that sun in. Yay free heat!
yeah!
nak

i mean if it's free, why not use it!
#15 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 04:59 PM

We also live in the 2nd floor of a 3 flat, so we get some warm floors in the winter from the girl downstairs (she lives on slab, so it's cooler in there) and some cool from the guys upstairs in summer.

Our windows are 12" (the building is cinderblock, then brick outside and finished inside) so we have these really deep sills - we put the blinds flush to the windows so we can block the heat in summer from making pockets of hot air, and in winter we open them to let the sun in. We have the sliding glass door and one window open a bit today and it's 52* out right now.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#16 of 18 Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We also live in the 2nd floor of a 3 flat, so we get some warm floors in the winter from the girl downstairs (she lives on slab, so it's cooler in there) and some cool from the guys upstairs in summer.

Our windows are 12" (the building is cinderblock, then brick outside and finished inside) so we have these really deep sills - we put the blinds flush to the windows so we can block the heat in summer from making pockets of hot air, and in winter we open them to let the sun in. We have the sliding glass door and one window open a bit today and it's 52* out right now.
Hey, cool! I love the idea that we do not have to BUY expensive stuff in order to be eco-friendly in our homes. Just live in what is already there, and use it wisely, like you are!
#17 of 18 Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 AM

That's awesome! Do you have any thermal mass in the sun to keep the house warm overnight, too? One guy I know strategically placed a huge fishless tank where it would get winter light but not summer. The thermal mass of all that water gave off heat all night long and helped maintain the temp when the sun was gone. Lots of materials to consider. I'd like to bring some warmth into the bedroom at night but we don't have southern windows to heat anything up. It's a very poorly designed rental house and I'm grateful for the huge list of do's/don'ts i've accumulated!
#18 of 18 Old 11-04-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmtaretu View Post
That's awesome! Do you have any thermal mass in the sun to keep the house warm overnight, too? One guy I know strategically placed a huge fishless tank where it would get winter light but not summer. The thermal mass of all that water gave off heat all night long and helped maintain the temp when the sun was gone.

Really?

How cool is that! (Well, warm I should say).

I wonder if since soapstone does that and is used for stoves.... could you just freaking lay a slab of it in the sunshine/window and bring it to another room later? Hmmm....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page