How to store Co-op bulk food-orders w/o a cellar - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
x-posting in Frugality&Finances as well as Nutrition & Good Eating

Hi mamas~

how and where do you store your bulk food orders? I am in the verge of ordering lots of food, canned/dried/bagged but am stumped on where to store everything. Maybe one of you can help me?

We are living in a small flat with neither a pantry nor a cellar. The only thing that we use as a storage is the attic, accessible by a pull-out ladder. The attic is insulated but not insulated enough to live in IYKWIM? There are no animals like mouses or rats and enough room to build shelfs. Could we store the foods there? I plan on getting flours, beans and lentils, canned goods (tomatoes, apple sauce, agave sirup), breads (flatbread, toast), bulk teas and spices, cleaning supplies, etc. I personally think that the attic is too cold to store potatoes, onions and apples but that might be false - I dunno.

Is it worth ordering everything and store it up there or will the foods go bad?

TIA!
Valerie
#2 of 2 Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does the attic reach freezing temperatures? If it stays even a few degrees above freezing, you can store all those things including the produce. (Apples/potatoes/onions...though it is best to separate apples and potatoes by quite a distance as they affect each other's longevity).

I would not store canned goods or cleaning supplies (or really anything liquid other than sugar syrup or something alcohol-based) where they will freeze. But boxed goods, syrup, cracker breads, teas and spices should be fine.

If you get freezing temps up there, you might think about using the back area of closets if you have them, under the bed, in a mudroom, under indoor stairs, under a tablecloth-covered table, or anything else you can think of. Apples, onions, and potatoes should stay fairly cold. We have an unheated closet where we store our apples; it gets down around 45-50 degrees in winter. The other things you mention, canned or liquid things, can be stored at room temp. I wonder if you would have space in or behind other furniture?

Good luck figuring it out.

Could we store the foods there? I plan on getting flours, beans and lentils, canned goods (tomatoes, apple sauce, agave sirup), breads (flatbread, toast), bulk teas and spices, cleaning supplies, etc. I personally think that the attic is too cold to store potatoes, onions and apples but that might be

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page