71/250
#62 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in! i have been working on decluttering my house i still have left to do:

laundry room
J's closet
a huge cabinet that is stuffed to the gills with pics and other misc. keepsake items.

seriously, i can't even shut the door on that cabinet. i am thinking of pulling it all out and laying on the formal dining room table and going through it peice by piece.
#63 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 AM

We have company tonight, so I'd really love to get some decluttering done in my kitchen.

Slightly OT: I found maggots or something crawling around on our kitchen floor this morning!!! I've killed about seven or eight of them. Disgusting. They seem to be coming from the trashcan. We don't throw meat in there until garbage day, and we compost everything else. I have no idea what's in there that is attracting flies or whatever laid them. NASTY! I'll be decluttering maggots today. :Puke
#64 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oh ewww. IDK if I could handle maggots. Yucky. Hopefully there are just a few and taking out the trash will get rid of them!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#65 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

164 things left my house today!! I took a full trunk load of stuff to our local women's shelter, including clothes, toys, household items, craft supplies, and brand new beauty products that I stocked up on before switching to natural. And I took back a big thing to IKEA - I had lost the receipt and found it while decluttering!

216/500 for November
#66 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
We have company tonight, so I'd really love to get some decluttering done in my kitchen.

Slightly OT: I found maggots or something crawling around on our kitchen floor this morning!!! I've killed about seven or eight of them. Disgusting. They seem to be coming from the trashcan. We don't throw meat in there until garbage day, and we compost everything else. I have no idea what's in there that is attracting flies or whatever laid them. NASTY! I'll be decluttering maggots today. :Puke
Ew!

Good job mamaste! Who knew that you'd find your lost receipt, eh?

I, sadly, decluttered nothing today. I worked though, so I have a little bit of an excuse. I have a crazy schedule this week, I don't know how I will get any decluttering done. It may all have to occur on the weekend, but I get burned out if I try to do too much at a time. Not enough time!!!
#67 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Not too much today, but I was very busy -

1 glove (yes, that's right, one glove.
1 pair of shoes
1 bag of old cranberries
1 file of recipes
3 pantry items
3 fridge items

83/500

I also unearthed a latch hook rug kit that I started making for MIL for Christmas 2000, and it was half done. So I worked on it a little today and hopefully I can give it to her this year - frugal and decluttery!
#68 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 PM

I so need to join this thread. Dh's co-worker is apparently decluttering as well because he just gave us about 100 vhs tapes. Yup, that's right, 100. I'm making a big run to goodwill tomorrow so I'm going to sort through them, save the classics and send the rest on their merry way to goodwill.

I think I'll set my goal at 300 for November. I'm hoping to have the entire house done or nearly done by March. We've just accumulated so much CRAP. Trying to decide if I'll tackle the dreaded closets this month or wait utnil next.
#69 of 193 Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 PM

How to count, how to count. Sorted through 3 big huge files of supposedly pressing matters, you know things I need to deal with ASAP, just not right now. Like the 0% APR offer on transferred balances that expired . . . 2 years ago. There must have been 500 things in there, but let's call it 3, so

13/300 items
#70 of 193 Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM

No decluttering done today. Yesterday afternoon I did manage to go through a pile on the table in our kitchen. Nothing was thrown away. But things were put where they belong.

And I killed about a dozen maggots in my kitchen and cleaned out the trash can thoroughly yesterday. Good thing it was warm outside (85 degrees) because it would have been not so much fun being outside with the hose on a day like today - windy, cold, and overcast! I won't count the maggots. Technically they weren't clutter. Just seriously disgusting. Oh, and DH got a lecture about how we don't throw flies we kill in the trashcan. We put them down the disposal or back outside. I swear those things regenerate.
#71 of 193 Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Nothing today But I'm posting to remind myself we're having houseguests early next month and I want stuff GONE!!

A pp mentioned a women's shelter and frankly, that would be a perfect place for a lot of my things. I'm looking into it now...
#72 of 193 Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM

I officially don't need to hang on to a few pairs of shorts and short sleeves for my baby "just in case."

18/300
#73 of 193 Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 PM

I have decided that I can't live with this cluttered house anymore so I've decided to join you all here to get my butt in gear!

My dh and I have recently gotten back together and I moved back in to our house. Most of my boxes are still sitting here because there is nowhere to put what amounts to my whole apartment in house that was already full.

So my goal for November will be 100 items ( I'm starting small.. babysteps..) and I want all of these boxes unpacked and either put away for thrown away or given away.

I CAN do this!!
#74 of 193 Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM

I forgot to sub....
#75 of 193 Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 PM

I didn't set aside any time today to declutter today but still managed to throw out 8 things.

3 DVDs to goodwill
2 ratty old towels that i just trashed (didn't need any more cleaning rags)
2 pencils from trick or treating
1 hand held vaporizor that hasn't ever been used, and who knows how long it's been there.

That brings my total to 13/300
#76 of 193 Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM

So far I have decluttered 22 items. I have a bag of clothes for the charity shop and there will be more to come.

I have a HUGE stash of baby clothes to go through. We are talking about 10 bags of clothes. I am selling some and some will go to charity shops. I just haven't had the chance yet to go through them all and put them into age groupings.
#77 of 193 Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 AM

I decluttred the coat closet the other day and ditched one trash bag of stuff. I too have holiday guests coming so this will be a major decluttering month for me. Next up; kitchen cabinets, garage, bathroom closet again, dvds and books shelves.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#78 of 193 Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 PM

I'm in..My first time!
My goal:150 items.
Also, to thin out kids stuff with what they are getting for Christmas in mind. For example, got rid of an old game that was missing a lot of pieces because DD will be getting a new game for Christmas.

Total for this month so far: 4 baby clothes items to my cousin. One pair of jeans, 4 stuffed animals and a truck to charity. One broken game, 10 trains and cars with chipped paint, and some misc junk from kids rooms. Total
30/150
#79 of 193 Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM

I cleaned out the living room toybox and under my bed yesterday. 50 items in the trash. (oh, and a lot of dust bunnies!)
#80 of 193 Old 11-07-2007, 06:30 PM

I didn't get rid of anything, but I did bring home a scooby doo puzzle for a christmas present! :
#81 of 193 Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Cleared the kids books, DVDs, and PC games and already sold a few, the rest gets donated.....

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#82 of 193 Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 AM

In the last week, I've sold 49 books, cds and dvds, cleared 2 piles of paper clutter, 3 pantry items and 2 freezer items. I condensed a bunch of stuff in the pantry making a lot more room, so I'm going to count that as 2 items. I rearranged some cabinets in the kitchen to get better use of the space, thus clearing 2 counters, so I'm counting them too.

143/500

I know it's early in the month, but I'm feeling discouraged, it's just not happening fast enough!
#83 of 193 Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 AM

michelle that sounds like great progress! just keep going - better a little consistently than burning out! how did you sell your books?

#84 of 193 Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
michelle that sounds like great progress! just keep going - better a little consistently than burning out! how did you sell your books?

I guess it is a good amount. I just want it all gone, you know?

I sold some on half.com (long process to list and they sell slowly and not for a lot, but it's more than I would have gotten if I sold them at a garage sale...) and I sold a bunch on cash4books.com. They are pretty selective on what they'll take, but you type in the isbn and if they'll buy it, you print a shipping label and send it out. You don't pay for shipping. I haven't actually gotten paid yet on it b/c they are still processing, but someone else here recommended it so I'm hoping to be paid soon.
#85 of 193 Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM

cleaned out a junk drawer and a basket - threw out/recycled 45 items

116/250
#86 of 193 Old 11-08-2007, 04:47 PM

I freecycled:

- computer tower
- printer
- bag of men's clothes
- bunch of children's books

I started with a goal of filling one trashbag in the guest (junk!!!) room today, and I'm up to 3.5 so far!

And I'm getting ready to put the broken deep freeze on Freecycle. Let's hope someone wants it, because we don't have a truck to take it to the dump!

I'll count myself at 45/100 even though it's probably more in "single" items.
#87 of 193 Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM

Today I went through 2 of my bookshelves and managed to take out 57 books. Some are being returned to their owners, some are text books I'm freecycling, some are baby books I'm giving away and the rest are going to a thrift shop. Parting with books is so hard for me but it's nice to have tidier shelves.
#88 of 193 Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 AM

I cleaned out dh's shop. That was fun and I didn't even tell him.

I've have thrown away 2 trunkloads of trash. It looks so nice now, even though it is a garage/shop.

100/1000
#89 of 193 Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkkaGrrl View Post
Today I went through 2 of my bookshelves and managed to take out 57 books. Some are being returned to their owners, some are text books I'm freecycling, some are baby books I'm giving away and the rest are going to a thrift shop. Parting with books is so hard for me but it's nice to have tidier shelves.
I have a really hard time with books, too. I probably have 100 that I don't need and should get rid of but it's tough. There isn't a thrift shop nearby, and I have a bunch that have been listed on half.com for ages but aren't moving. I love them too much to just pitch them. Anyway, I feel you! I think I might try that cashforbooks someone mentioned.

I've done another 56 since last check in, so 123/300.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#90 of 193 Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
I cleaned out dh's shop. That was fun and I didn't even tell him.

I've have thrown away 2 trunkloads of trash. It looks so nice now, even though it is a garage/shop.

100/1000

I really want to do this too. He says he's going to get to it and with everything else on his plate, I really can't fault him for putting it off.

Today, I am heading to the consignment store with a load and have 3 items to ship Updating my total now...

Oh, and I'm also hoping to do some decluttering around the house and my desk later, so hopefully I'll be back to post again later!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page