I caved; XBOX - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband wants an XBOX for Xmas. It's currently hidden in my SIL stuffed animal pile. :

I justified it because I would rather he play interactive games than drool on the couch watching TV, and because there are certain things (like Sims) that I would love to play as well. Also, you can get games like Monopoly and family board games; and I would much rather have a CD than millions of little bits and peices to step on and lose.

I posted this here for that last sentence, and because I feel like it's a step AWAY from spiritual/mental decluttering. But, he wants it so badly, and I KNOW it will get plenty of use and probably mean that his friends will hang out at our place (which until there are openings at the apartment places we can afford means our in-laws place) and he will spend more time at home, socialize more (we moved, had the baby, and both got new jobs in less than five months, so we are low on nearby friends) and probably be happier.

Anyone else here have XBOX for DH or their DCs? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM

not an Xbox but I'm leaning toward getting a Wii for Christmas for ds #1 (well it will be for all the dc but he's PDD/NOS and doesn't really "do" toys like other kids do-he's more of a techno savy kid- so my theory is get him a Wii instead of a handful of other toys that he won't really play with anyways thus keeping down on the clutter ) I do keep going back and forth over it though.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#3 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM

Let me tell you, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Addicted to playing sims! I have a 7.5 yr old and a 5 yr old and I think playing Sims really helps them to understand budgeting money and planning accordingly. Like right now my daughter is building a house and has neglected to put in a bathroom, boy will her sim be sorry! I think it really helps them to think responsibly, you know the whole bathroom thing. Maybe I'm just trying to justify having it On the up side the kids aren't allowed to play games during the week (school) So in my opinion any game system is ok as long as it doesn't become the sole focus of the house! Erin
#4 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I caved a few weeks ago as well. : DH lost all his gaming equipment 7 or so years ago right before we got together. I hate games and have strongly discouraged them from my house. Well, he does really enjoy them and needed a stress reliever so I agreed to a Wii, two days later a friends came over with an X-Box and gave it to Dh as well. Yep, so now we have TWO gaming systems. : A month later, the X-Box has even been opened, now I'm wondering if it can walk out of the house soon...

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM

I lurve sims. I want castaway.
#6 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM

DH has a PS3 and DS(10) has an XBOX. I'm really proud of them both they actually don't play it on an everyday basis. I wanted to get a Wii though they seem so cool but neither of them has any interest in it.
#7 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I really considered the Wii as well, but the XBOX is what he has been begging for, as well as Halo 3.

I am a recovered Sims addict just waiting for an excuse to relapse. Hubbie's XBOX desire is just my enabler. :
#8 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 PM

jeca, what does your son play on the Xbox? We have one as well (hand me down from BIL ), but there seems to be a sorry choice of games for children. It is an Xbox, not 360.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#9 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM

We have...Wii, X-box, X-box 360, and 2 playstation 2's. My sweet love and my kids are playing right now behind me They can have fun all day, playing with each other, and it makes me so happy to see (And yeah, I play, too!)

Dana
unschooling mama to Lauren, 15, Otto, 9.5, and new little one due in May!
#10 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot View Post
jeca, what does your son play on the Xbox? We have one as well (hand me down from BIL ), but there seems to be a sorry choice of games for children. It is an Xbox, not 360.
He's 10 and I do let him play some T for teen rated games. He has all the Harry Potter games(all rated E), which I like to play too. Eragon(T), TY2tasmanian tiger(E)Street 2(E), LOTR(T) the incredibles(T), Zathura(E),Narnia(E), sonic the hedgehog games, Spiderman things like that but now that they have come out with the 360 they have really stopped making regular xbox games. You can find some on ebay though. He's getting a 360 for Xmas only because DH's friend bought a PS3 and is selling his 360 to him for $100. I am going to give the xbox and it's non compatible games to my niece and nephew.
#11 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 02:20 AM

DH just got an Xbox last weekend...I haven't touched the thing, I'm not crazy about the games, sounds like I should try the Sims

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page