Well, here is an accomplishment! My grandmother took me up to her attic... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and I didn't want a SINGLE THING that was up there. Okay, it's not the attic of her real house, it's the attic of the smaller house she's been renting for a year (long story) but she's moved some of her clutter from her old house to this one. Normally I look at an attic full of piles and boxes as having so much potential for treasures and useful stuff, but this time I saw it for what it is - JUNK.

Though she did want to show me the Varpapuu loom she's giving me (I didn't have room to take it in my car, but it's earmarked for me) and she also offered me her good Arabia china, and I said yes to both of those wonderful things. I don't have space for a loom but I would love to learn to weave and it's too good to pass up. And I love her china - it's very tasteful and not gaudy, really nice quality and simple. I didn't imagine myself as a person who would have two sets of dishes, but I think I can make exception for hers because I will love having it. I didn't expect she would offer it to me. I felt honored as I'm one of nine grandchildren and she also has four living children to give stuff to. I don't see those two things as clutter, because I know they will be used and loved.

The attic experience has me thinking is hope for me after all.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's wonderful. I recognize the same kind of thing when I go into a thrift shop these days. I only buy what I need. 10 years ago, I'd buy most of what I liked even if I really had no need for it.

It's not clutter if you'll use it and honor it. How cool that you're getting the loom and china.

User Tag List