need help organizing a VERY small space *pics added post #11* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I just downsized from a roomy 1400 sq ft townhouse w/yard and garage to a 600 sq ft apartment with street parking. It's totally worth it for the new location and new job, but yikes! We don't really have that much unnecessary stuff, but this apartment is about to bust apart at the seams and we don't even have everything unpacked yet. Let's just not even think about all the stuff that we both still have from our teenage years that is still living at our respective parents' houses.

So I need some ideas to help me sort everything out because I'm about to go nuts. : I've been trying to find tips online/in magazines and stuff but it's like..."get an ottoman that doubles as storage." Well let me tell you, if I had room for an ottoman I would not be having these problems! We managed to fit all of our furniture from our old house in here, but there is literally no room for anything else to sit on the floor anywhere. I'm thinking we'll have to go vertical but I'm not sure how?

We are talking about TTC soon and my DH is joking that if we have a baby we'll have to find a way to wall-mount it.

ETA: I'm not talking about what to do with the clutter, we don't have any clutter...we just literally don't have room for all of our necessary stuff like, say, the vacuum cleaner

ETA again: would it be helpful if I took pictures?

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#2 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 03:46 AM

SO Needing pictures!

Then I might have some suggestions!

You are going to have be very organized and keep it clean (not saying you don't but, but small spaces seem to get dirty fast!) and you might think everything is nessacary, but there might be things that aren't!

Get pics and we can help!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#3 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 04:26 AM

Pictures might help!

One option is to make one wall closed storage, like the IKEA Pax wardrobe system with doors and shelving. You can fit a TON of stuff in those. We're in 920 sq. ft. with two bedrooms, one bathroom, a toddler, and clutter. Part of the plan is to install three sections of the Pax wardrobe in the livingroom to serve as a hall closet/shoes and jackets/launch pad space, a bookshelf/board games/media space, and a general stuff space for my exercise equipment, spare blankets, holiday decorations, medicines, cleaning supplies, etc.

You could make a section into a home office, into a standard clothing wardrobe, etc., and close the doors when you're done so it looks very tidy even when it isn't. (I'm sure there is a more natural option to the Pax system, but I haven't found one!)

And like ErikaLeigh, you'll probably find things you don't need in a smaller space, and less stuff really makes a difference in keeping organized!
#4 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 10:12 AM

Yes, PLEASE take pictures! I lived in a tiny studio in Chicago for three years, so I have an idea of what you're going through.

You might also take a look at the IKEA website for some ideas. Europeans generally live in smaller spaces than North Americans do, so a lot of their furniture is not so huge, plus they've got lots of great storage options.

They have lots of pictures to give you ideas.

lady.gif
#5 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM

Pics would definitely help!
#6 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 01:23 PM

Here are a few tips:
  • Downsize your furniture in number and size. Keep only what is completely necesary for the amount of entertaining you do. In our smallest apt. we only had a futon and an Ikea chaise. We had other things that doubled as seating if necessary...a coffee table, a heater, kitchen chairs could be pulled out. One of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to fit all of their big furniture from their big house into a small apartment. You may have to sell/get rid of it completely and search for pieces with a smaller footprint. IKEA is a good place to either purchase or get ideas. Couches that have space under them (i.e. more modern looking ones) are great to put baskets under.
  • Go vertical. Bookshelves can hold more than just books. Use them to hold photos, baskets of loose items, etc. Shelving above the fridge is great. Shelving anywhere is great.
  • Get smaller things. We ended up purchasing a smaller vacuum for our apartment. And a smaller trash can. Smaller everything.
  • Walk around and "challenge" every item in your apt. Why is it there? Would we miss it if it was gone? When was the last time we used this? Where is it's home?
  • Speaking of homes...everything must have one, or you will go berserko.
  • Get inspriation from other small apt. dwellers. Check out Apartment Therapy. Here are some photos of our most recent apt...which was nearly 1/2 the size of yours. It can be done! Hang in there...it just takes persistence.
Good luck!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#7 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Hey, Delight, great to see you! Your apartments have all been so inspirational for small space livers.

For even more Delight inspriations, look at her other adorably tiny, well decorated apartments:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7594309114341/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7594536779330/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyja...7594449182329/
#8 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Sarah, I just had to say I've spent a large chunk of this afternoon browsing your photos of your homes, and everything is just lovely. I love your sense of style, your use of color and light, and just the way your homes are orderly without being stifling, neat and yet still comfy to live in. It would put me in a permanent good mood to live in a home decorated by you.
#9 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There are a variety of suggestions:

Honestly its not easy.... I live by myself in 310 bachelor sq. ft.

You might want to down size your furniture (look at thrift stores). Size and proportion must fit the apt. You can always paint it or re-cover it.

You need to downsize, you are going to have to part with some of your things.

Use every square inch with storage. Bookshelves, shelving, etc. and use Vertical, go to the ceiling.

Me 28, DH 30 wheelchair.gif, 2 Kitties cat.gifand working towards having Baby #1. 
#10 of 47 Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM

Hard to add anything to the other great suggestions, but I'd second the recommendation to get rid of some of your furniture to create some more floor space. Is there a wall that you can build some shelves into? Or more than one wall that you can build shelves into? Adjustable shelves would be particularly good, so that you can customize them to storing individual items (eg. having a cubby especially for the vacuum, etc.)

Also, definitely figure out where everything will live before you invest in storage supplies. A friend of mine who is a professional organizer told me once that the mistake she sees most people make is going out go buy a bunch of bins and containers and shelves without knowing exactly what they will be storing and where they will be storing it.

Check out the Decluttering Challenge thread too... decluttering and organizing are sort of ongoing processes. It might take some time to get to your final destination.
#11 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! Here are some pics I took of the place (my family had been bugging me to take pictures anyway ). I tried to caption them in a useful fashion. http://picasaweb.google.com/ehawxhurst/NewApartment

I don't think we have a lot of leeway as far as building things like built-in shelves go. Our landlord is a nice guy, but he just doesn't want us doing much more than painting the walls. Almost all of our furniture is already from Ikea, with the major exception being the bed. I think that if it hadn't been from Ikea, we never would have fit it all in here!

We do have one big storage closet, but it has way too much stuff in it right now and we can hardly get into anything in it. The biggest problem is that we have 4 kitchen chairs, but only 2 would fit in the kitchen, so we have the other 2 nested in the closet. We also have some large coolers that take up way too much space but we need to keep them because DH has medication that needs to be kept cold when we travel and these are the only coolers we've found that actually do the job. We already are storing things inside the coolers.

I guess from looking at the pictures we've done an ok job so far! I just know that it can be a lot better if we really work it - and then I won't feel like I have stuff falling on me everywhere!

BTW, Delight, your little place is amazing!! Sometimes I wish I could just throw all my stuff away and start over so that I could end up with the sense of style and cohesiveness that you have.

#12 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 AM

Cute place I just flipped thru your photos and it looks so cozy even though you just moved in! Love the decorated ficus The only suggestion I have at the moment is that one of your pics said that the cd rack would have cds on it soon...and it looked like the bookshelf next to it had a lot of cds dvds as well?
If so maybe convince your partner to get a nice big cd binder and put them in that instead... there's one peice of furniture that wouldn't be taking up space! And if those *are* dvds.. well wallet them up as well! We just did this and it is amazing how much space we created to be put to better use by just ditching all the cases (which can actually damage the dvd/cd over time anyway by pressing them onto the spindle)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#13 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 AM

If you feel you've decluttered as much as you can, and it still not all fitting, what about renting a small, inexpensive storage space for your seldom-used items like your extra kitchen chairs, suitcases, and seasonal stuff.

I know I could get : for saying that on this board, but it may be the best solution if you just can't get rid of any more of your stuff.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#14 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 02:38 AM

I love it!!

If you can declutter do, otherwise I think it looks super cozy!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#15 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 03:07 AM

The pictures look good, but I can see that there's a storage issue. How much seating do you need? Some random suggestions, most of which eliminate seating:

- If you eliminated the loveseat, you could put the kitchen table, or a different smaller one, under that window, and a tall bookshelf on the wall where the loveseat's side table is. Then you could take the table out of the kitchen, which makes the kitchen much more flexible. And you'd probably be able to get the chairs for the table out of the closet. If you make the whole wall dining-themed, maybe you could store some of your dishware on the bookshelf, thus reducing the storage strain on the kitchen. Or you could get a shelf with doors, which would allow you to store anything you want there.

- Once the table's out of the kitchen, you've got an interesting long piece of potential space on the window wall. If you imagine taking out _everything_ on that wall - the toaster cart, the wooden shelves, maybe even the tall black shelves - you could put in a freestanding counter type thing along that space, and have counter space! It would probably be higher than the bottom of the window, but that seems like an acceptable sacrifice. The wooden shelves could still be mounted above it. You could leave a space next to the counter thing for the dishwasher, or make the counter thing a little taller and roll the dishwasher under it, so you don't lose that space from the counter. The trash could also go under the counter thing. As an example, there's the console and wire shelves on this page from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...kitchen/11836/

- If you eliminated the plaid chair and the side table and CD rack next to it, you could put in another wall full of shelves, or possibly a desk-shelf area to get a desk out of the bedroom.

Or maybe you could put the small dining table where the plaid chair is, and a pair of desks or a very long desklike table where the loveset is, and get both desks out of the bedroom. That would leave the bedroom walls where the desks are for other storage, and avoid any conflicts between desk use and sleeping.

Crayfish
#16 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Cute and Cozy..... reminds me of our first place when we just got married. I would think about getting rid of the loveseat and chair. Could a couch be enough seating? That way you could put your table and chairs in the living room which would open up your kitchen and when you have guests over you'ld already have chairs in the living room for them. Maybe get lifts for your bed so you could put more bigger storage totes under it. Also in one of your pics your dh was on a laptop on the couch.... you also had 2 desks in the bedroom w/ a computer for each..... so you guys have 2 computers and 1 laptop (I'm jealous ) but could you downsize to 1 computer w/ one desk and then the laptop that could be used at the table when desk space is needed? Other than that shelving, shelving, shelving, lol. Maybe put shelving along the top of the walls going around the living room to make a book shelf for those books seldom used but you want to keep, you could also put pictures and knick-knacks up there. Oh and I'ld sell the portable dishwasher on craiglist so I'ld have more room in the kitchen (but this is just me.... I haven't had a dishwasher in 8 years and have 4 kids! so maybe I don't know what I'ld be missing, lol)

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#17 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow, that's one tiny kitchen!

What helped me the most was getting smaller furniture. My kitchen table is a 2 person pub table.

The only space that really jumped out at me was the bathroom. Have you thought of a shelving unit that goes over the toilet?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#18 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Here are just a few thoughts:

1. There is too many "big" pieces of furniture in the living room. I'd keep the love seat and arm chair and get rid of the sofa. Shift the love seat to the current position of the sofa and make a cozy sitting area.

2. Move your eating table out of the kitchen and into the living room. You could make a small eating area where the love seat used to be.

3. Utilize vertical spaces for shelving that goes almost all the way to the ceiling. Ikea makes a line called Billy that does this excellently. You can get doors for the bottoms so you can hide stuff.

4. Replace your current coffee table with a steamer trunk so you can store things inside.

5. Utilize the extra wall space in the kitchen with some more shelving units. Make sure you get them as tall as possible.

6. I'd get some matching baskets for storing things on top of the cabinets and on top of the refrigerator; store like things together. It will look less haphazard.

7. Boost your bed up by using risers that you can buy from BB&B for about $15. You'll gain so much more storage space that way.

8. Replace those white ledges over your computer desks in the bedroom with something more usable like this:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103494
It comes in black, would match the style of your room pretty well and will give you lots more storage. You could even install a small fluorescent light under the bottom most shelf.

9. Def. an over the john cabinet thingy. You need more storage!

10. Hang your husband's guitars on the wall. My BIL does that with his using these special hooky things. They look neat that way and will get them off the floor.
#19 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 PM

In a former kitchen, I made my own shelf unit to fit in a space like the corner behind your sink. (1/2 by 4" boards from the home center)

If you eliminate the end table, you will have room for a corner unit of some sort from Ikea. Go all the way to the ceiling with book shelves, and make sure you anchor them to the wall.

I would also replace the faux ficus (or real ficus?) with storage - preferably with closed door storage to hide things.

IKEA also has some kitchen storage furniture of various types. If you measure carefully, you may be able to grow a countertop, and have a fold-out type table instead of the current one.

And tacky as they are, you are a candidate for an over the toilet storage shelf.

When you have a baby, you will need to donate or send away all baby clothes and accessories as soon as they are outgrown. Otherwise these will take over!
Good luck!
#20 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 03:10 PM

I actually wasn't thinking of built in shelves. I was looking at the IKEA website this weekend, at the sofabeds. They had a video demonstrating a futon, and in the small apartment, there was one wall that was all bookshelves, some of the units having cabinet doors, instead of being open to the room.

lady.gif
#21 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM

Nice, cute apartment!

My suggestions:
  • make every piece of furniture do double duty: you have a clothes hamper near the bed in the bedroom -- could you figure out a way to make the nightstand also serve as the clothes hamper?
  • store things inside your coolers/suitcase
  • move to one desk, maybe an L shaped one so you could both have a spot?
  • get rid of the loveseat and get yourself a storage ottoman. When you have more than 2 folks over they can sit on the floor.
  • dvd/cds in a binder.
  • consider figuring out how to maximize the use of your kitchen cabinets -- you probably have more glassware than you need.
  • You have lots of shelves, consider getting some that go all the way to the ceiling.
  • Consider closed door storage -- if you hide it behind the doors it will look less cluttered (not that it looks bad, but I find stuff behind the doors makes it look like there's more space).
  • Go through your kitchen stuff and be ruthless: do you have 3 spatulas and you only use 2?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#22 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 PM

Your apartment is super cute, but I think you could get more out of it like the others have suggested. Here are a few more ideas:

Bed risers are an option, or consider a captain's bed with drawers underneath, to give you tons more storage space and you keep your pretty headboard.

I love the ideas that the others have posted about losing the loveseat and moving your table into the dining room freeing up much needed space in the kitchen. You could also consider a "space saver" folding set like this that can be closed up when not in use and takes hardly any space at all.

You have the knives hanging, but you can do better! Consider the IKEA rail systems that are wall mounted and can hold a crazy lot of stuff. Our one 30" rail holds a two-tiered spice rack, a paper towel holder (upright), and S hooks to hold my frequently used utensils (a flipper, a big spoon, a ladle, a set of nesting stainless steel measuring cups, etc.) Also consider magnetic tins to hold your spices on the side of the fridge, freeing up shelf space.

How often do you entertain? You have lots of dishes for just two people. Consider paring down to just the amount you frequently have for dinner - say, four sets of plates, bowls, flatware, cups - and you'll have less to store and less to wash. Put them in a cabinet on something like this. Like others said, be ruthless about what you use and don't use. If you're going to entertain for a big crowd, you could ask people to bring plates, or use disposable, or rent them inexpensively, all options that don't require your ongoing maintenance and use of the space.

I'll say again: closed wall system! Depending on how long your wall with the TV is, you could fit two or three of the IKEA Pax units. Get them floor to ceiling. One could house your TV and all the media stuff and many if not all of the books. Another could house your computer set up and the misc. stuff on the bedroom book cases - both computers connected to one monitor with a switcher, if you need both computers. That would free up a lot of space in your bedroom, which you'll need for a crib (if you use one) and other miscellaneous baby gear. If you had room for a third cabinet, you could use it as a pantry for your bulkier small appliances and the stuff on the black shelf. Being able to close the doors gives you a lot of options for how to use the space, and when they're closed you appear clutter free.
#23 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM

A couple of people have suggested downsizing to ONLY the sofa/ or loveseat and ditching one of them & the chair all together. If you're not game to go THAT far, how about losing the large arm chair and going for something with less visual 'bulk' like a poang chair from, where else, Ikea?

For me I'd keep the loveseat (most people sit 2 on a 3seater sofa *unless* they are very close family anyway) and downsize to the poang (I have one and I luuuuve it) which frees up a fair bit of space. There are some seriously great suggestions on here!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#24 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Yep, the Poang is also nice as a bouncing/rocking type chair when you have a baby for just enough motion to get him/her to sleep.
#25 of 47 Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM

My thoughts:

1. Either get rid of coffee tables and end tables, or find some baskets that fit under them to use them for storage. You have too small a place to have ANY furniture that does not serve as storage. Including your couch or loveseat - I can't tell from the picture, can you put stuff under them? I can get stuff under my couch. Or move it a tiny bit away from the wall and store a couple underbed-sized rubbermaid totes behind it (up on their skinny sides).

2. Get rid of either couch or loveseat. I'd suggest keeping the loveseat, but I'm short. If you or hubby like to stretch out on the couch, and the loveseat's too short, I think the couch would be workable. Both is too much for that room.

3. Would you consider eating at the coffee table? I've totally done that in small apartments. Just do away with that table and chairs.

4. If you don't like 3, than you need to combine desk with the kitchen table, in the living room. Meaning, put all your electronics in a box under the table or under the table and use a tablecloth to hide what's under there. Keep your laptop on top of the table when you're working. Keep your other work supplies in a roll away cart under the table and keep your files in a rollaway file under the table. You can often even find these at a thrift store or on freecycle. Yep, I like the idea of putting files, supplies, and electronics under the table and covering it all with a pretty, floor-length tablecloth.

Regardless of whether you choose #3 or #4, you need to get that table out of your kitchen. And it will help to get a desk out of your bedroom, as well.

5. You need more closed storage. When you use open shelving, things look too cluttered. Clutter collects in a small space anyway, and if you add the fact that there's too much visual busy-ness because of all the tiny stuff shoved in corners and all over shelves, you'll go crazy trying to keep your place neat. I have had more trouble keeping apartments neat than houses that are larger. So don't work against yourself. Start by finding lots of sleek baskets or bins for the shelving, so that everything that's teeny-tiny and busy is hidden. Don't let anything show on your shelves unless they're book spines (shelve some up and down and some sideways for interest) or pictures (intersperse them with the books or display them in front of books if the books aren't the prettiest in some spots). Everything else should be in a basket or bin to eliminate visual clutter and make your place feel calm and peaceful.

6. When you get your desk out of the bedroom, can the exercise equipment go in there? Could you listen to a book on tape on your ipod instead of watching TV while exercising? Because it would work out much better, visually, to get it out of your only living area, you know?

7. Where the armchair is - get rid of the end table and the CD rack - wasted space. You can store tons of CDs in a binder and put them right on your bookshelves. Get rid of the jewelcases - they take too much space to store them in a place as small as yours.

8. Layout: If it were me, I'd keep the TV and the two bookshelves where they are, and make it the focal point. I'd probably then keep the loveseat, but move it forward closer to the TV. The coffee table would be gone and I'd have a smaller storage ottoman or steamer trunk in its place. It goes 13 inches from the edge of the loveseat. Then enough room on the other side to walk between the ottoman and the TV and that's it. I'd then have a nice little grouping - TV, loveseat opposite, and chair to the side. Your traffic pattern would then go behind the love seat. I'd get rid of the couch and put the kitchen table against the windows. I'd put chairs on three sides of it - and the fourth chair at his desk in the bedroom. I'd hide all the stuff under the kitchen table like I said, tablecloth it, and then you can work at the "desk" looking out the windows, and get all that good natural light for working, and then eat at the table for meals. Plus, it's really close to the kitchen, so convenient.

9. Dishes: I'd get narrow wall shelves and install them where your yellow leafy-looking wall hanging is now (which would be next to the table) and I'd store pretty dishes on them. Some that go with your decor - but only about 4 plates, 4 bowls, six-ish mugs, four glasses, a crock with silverware, a basket with napkins. I personally have some floating shelves hanging on my dining room wall that would be divine for that purpose.

10. Hang your guitar from the wall like Sarah's husband does. Either over the TV or behind/beside the plaid chair.

11. Kitchen: I love the idea of magnetic spice containers for you. They're not going to be very convenient for cooking where you've got them now and they're taking up valuable shelf space.

Once your table is out of there, all that space can be food prep and storage. We have a tiny kitchen, so we converted our breakfast nook into food prep/storage. You can do something similar here. We went to Lowe's and got inexpensive stock cabinets, and my husband installed then along one wall. We didn't have enough space for regular under-counter cabinets, so he got the kind that are supposed to hang on the wall. But he installed them like floor cabinets, on a kickboard. Really easy to do, even in an apartment. Then, we got a sheet of MDF cut to size for the top. We still haven't topped the MDF (two years later) but we will with a piece of countertop or we will tile/mosaic it. So it's like a little counter with cabinets - not as deep as full-size but it fits the space and gives us storage. You could do something similar with some cast-off cabinets.

If you're going to use that open shelving in the kitchen you need to eliminate the visual clutter. Anything visually cluttered must go behind doors or behind a curtain. Anything left out should be food in canisters (even stuff you wouldn't normally put in canisters - if you can get rid of the packaging and store it in canisters, it can go there) and baskets or bins full of things.

Why don't you put your kitchenaid on top of the dishwasher, if you bake a lot? Then the dishwasher is like extra counter/food prep space, and you don't have to lift the thing up and down all the time (mine's HEAVY and I wouldn't want it stored up over my head like that).

Foil, saran wrap, plastic baggies can all live in a rack on the inside of a closet door. Probably the linen closet is closest to the kitchen, yes? Or that storage closet which will be on the other side of your kitchen table in the living room, if you choose to follow my advice

If you're going to keep your electrical appliances on open shelving, consider slip-covering the shelving unit with a tailored curtain to cut the visual clutter.

12. Bedroom: Your desk chairs are huge! Get smaller ones, and get rid of the big ones. They'd be fine in a larger house, but they're just overwhelming your bedroom. Alternatively, you could move one of your kitchen chairs into the bedroom at his desk (and of course if you're getting rid of your desk and sitting at the kitchen table, which I see as totally doable with the amount of stuff at your desk currently, all of which could be hidden away, you'll be in a kitchen chair too).

Take measurements of that bookshelf in your bedroom, and go on a quest to find baskets or sleek bins that will fit those shelves. That is not the type of stuff to go on open shelving - it needs to be hidden from view.

Your suitcase will fit in your closet, once all your chairs are out!

I wish I could come help you - it seems like it would be such a fun project. You've already made it so cute, and I can see how hard you've worked on your space already. Nicely done. I think you just need to take those final steps of getting rid of some furniture and being ruthless about not getting anything furniture-wise unless it doubles as storage.
#26 of 47 Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 AM

I haven't read all replies (cookies in oven) but here's what I'm thinking.

First, when I see your living room, I see BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS. Too many books = clutter. I think the books are half the problem in there-- that's all I see. My husband likes to keep them, as well, but are you REALLY reading them?

In the kitchen, there's just too much on that shelf. It draws my eye to it. Really consider decluttering-- simplifying it.

Looking at the kitchen-- reduce the number of utensils you keep. Do you really need that many? It draws the eye to it.

Bedroom bookshelf: Declutter!

This gal simplified with, at one point, 365 square feet. Notice that with that small of space, clutter really catches the eye. Use color! Think of using whatever extra space you have.

Your place is cute; it just needs to have the amount of stuff that will fit in a 600 sq foot place, not a larger one.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#27 of 47 Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 AM

While I like dark wood (like your bookcases) they can make a small room look smaller.

I like this wall of shelves (on the video showing the futon):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10663/

Sorry, hon, but you've got too much stuff still! If you've got a laptop, do you REALLY need to have two computer desks?

Yes, you've got very little counterspace. I had about that much, or a little less. Do what I did when I lived in the dinky studio - put a large cutting board over the sink. IKEA has GREAT stacking beverage glasses. They're like $6 for 12. I'd definitely get a set. Do your dishes stack compactly? I love my Corelle because it does.

Since there are only two of you, dishes and silverware for four would be a great number. Maybe one set of the 12 stacking glasses.

What about your pots?

Do you USE the exercise machine?

I'd get rid of the couch AND that large chair - leaving only the loveseat and get one of those poang chairs (sp?) from IKEA.

If you were near me, I'd come over and declutter you!

ETA: Can your suitcase fit under your bed? I've seen these bed risers at places like Target or Bed Bath & Beyond. They go under the feet, and raise your bed by about six inches, so you have more storage space. The use a bedskirt, if you don't have one yet. I have an antique bed (given to me) that sits really high. I prefer the look of no bedskirt (shows the wood off better), but when I did use a bedskirt, I could store a TON of stuff down there!

lady.gif
#28 of 47 Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

You ladies are interior design geniuses!

I'm going to show this thread to DH and see if we can come up with a game plan that we agree on. Everyone seems to want us to get rid of the loveseat, and while I might normally agree, the loveseat is actually a sofabed whereas the large couch is not. And we've already had an occasion where 3 people slept over and we put 2 on the sofa bed and 1 on the couch. We live a good 5 hours from most of our friends/family now, so when they visit they like to sleep over. So give it to me straight - am I just being willfull wanting to keep both of them or does it actually seem legitimate?

#29 of 47 Old 12-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post

I'm going to show this thread to DH and see if we can come up with a game plan that we agree on. Everyone seems to want us to get rid of the loveseat, and while I might normally agree, the loveseat is actually a sofabed whereas the large couch is not. And we've already had an occasion where 3 people slept over and we put 2 on the sofa bed and 1 on the couch. We live a good 5 hours from most of our friends/family now, so when they visit they like to sleep over. So give it to me straight - am I just being willfull wanting to keep both of them or does it actually seem legitimate?
That's really great that the love seat is also a sofa bed. I'd totally ditch the long sofa. I think it will gain you a lot of room for moving things around. If you are worried about overnight guests being uncomfortable, buy a blow up mattress.
#30 of 47 Old 12-04-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post

You're being willful!

Seriously, those Aerobed air mattresses are super comfortable (I've slept on them at a friends). They store small.

You have too little space now to keep that big couch AND the chair for when occasional people come over.

lady.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page