obnoxious to hang large photos of your kids in the living room? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a large arrangement of family photos on the wall beside our front door. Mostly black and white, decently framed, and spanning probably fifty years. Actually <OT> I learned a couple of years ago that ancient Romans would paint family trees in their entryways so that people could see the illustrious family history.

I think sometimes when people don't arrange photos well or have only one or two plunked on a whole, big wall it can look odd, but it's not obnoxious.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#32 of 41 Old 12-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
You know, when I first read this I thought it was weird not to have pictures in the living room, but I just realized I don't have any either. I have am 8x10 black and white on the kitchen counter, and a few on the fridge, but none in the living room.
When I first moved in with my husband, we had photos EVERYWHERE.

Gary has received many photos from relatives over his nearly 30 years - and every single one was displayed, never to be removed, replaced, or rotated.

For some reason, every other guest gave us photo frames - we registered for THREE, and got about FORTY! (Okay, not really, but I'm not exaggerating by much) So, we had to fill all those with photos, and display them (even though we live 1800 miles from anyone who gave them to us, so not like they would get butt hurt if they weren't out)

We continued to get photos (and frames) from people as post-wedding gifts, late Christmas cards, etc.

When we moved into a larger place last August, it took about two boxes PER ROOM to pack all the photos (that's TEN boxes of photos and frames). We even had photos in our BATHROOM.

Right now, a select few are displayed, and the rest are all stuffed into drawers and closets. My husband keeps asking when we are going to put the photos back in our bedroom.

I've been putting him off for 3 months, because the answer is "Never! We are never putting photos of your dead relatives on our nightstands to stare at me while I sleep!"

Really, though, I just can't stand the visual clutter of what my husband does with photos - which is to just shove them all on top of every flat surface of the house and leave them there.
#33 of 41 Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 AM

Interesting thread.

I'm originally from the deep South, and we do family pictures. Everywhere. Like wall paper really.

Currently, we have a family portrait that's 24x36 hanging over our fireplace in the family room.

I took mom & me pictures with each of my babies when they were 6 months old (me in white dressing gown, babies naked). I have a 16x20 of each of those (4 total) hanging to the left when you walk in our front door.

I've got individual pictures of each child (8x10) in one corner of the family room and a 10x13 of each child in the hallway off of the garage going towards the family room.

In the study/office, which is right off the front door but enclosed with double French doors, I've got a 20x20 collage of the baby at 6 months old that I need to hang. I'll also put at least one more grouping of individual pictures of each child in the study.

My wedding portrait is hanging above the entry table past where the mommy and me pictures are hanging.

I'm all about family pictures. It's our HOME, not some magazine we're shooting pictures for.

We used an excellent decorator to help us decorate, and she never frowned upon family pictures all over the place. Matching and coordinating frames....yeah, she was all over that. Hanging them in groupings that made sense and looked nice...all over that too. But not having them at all? That was never suggested.
#34 of 41 Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 AM

Maybe this is a regional custom. I grew up in the South, too, and everyone I know there has family photos hanging everywhere. My dining room walls alone have photos spanning seven generations!

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#35 of 41 Old 12-09-2007, 11:29 AM

We don't have a formal living room, but we have family pictures all over the house. Including the kitchen, dining room, office, great room, etc. This is my home for my family and my friends.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#36 of 41 Old 12-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Huh? Its my house, why would decorating it w/ my kids be obnoxious? I would rather decorate with their beautiful faces than some tacky painting from a store. I have a few paintings my grandfather did, and the rest is all kid pics. Big, black and white and gorgeous!
#37 of 41 Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Have you considered asking your kids to use the back sides of the photos?

"Dear Grandma and Grandpa,
Here is a photo of me, it's nearly life sized! Also, I've drawn a nice picture for you below.
Love,"

#38 of 41 Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Photos of my children are the ONLY things on my walls. (What else am I never going to get tired of looking at every day???)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#39 of 41 Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM

I've never heard of that. I think you can hang photos of your kids whereever you please.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#40 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 02:37 PM

I think it's a generational thing. My MIL is like that, which is fine, but I'm sort of offended that she has a HUGE picture of Jesus hanging on the wall, but none of my kids (I mean no disrespect, btw).
#41 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 PM

We have pictures of the kids, well our oldest as I still haven't framed any of the baby, and I never thought that anyone would find it tacky. I'd rather see cute kid faces than a painting of a lighthouse or sunset.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page