obnoxious to hang large photos of your kids in the living room? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I’m not sure this is the right place to post this, but since it involves eliminating a pile of photos and frames I consider it de-cluttering!

Is it obnoxious to hang large photos of your kids in the living room?

When I was growing up, my mom said family photos were not to be displayed in the public areas of the house and were hung in the hall or in my parents' room. I have mostly done the same keeping photos in the hall, my room, and the study. (I normally get nothing larger than 5x7.)
In June I took the kids to one of those photo chains and spent too much money getting too many, too large photos. I went to Kohl’s and bought some frames on clearance – without actually figuring out which sizes I really needed. Anyway, the frames and photos have been sitting in a pile for six months. I am considering hanging a cluster of photos, probably B&W to maintain some consistency, of my kids and my nieces and nephews in the living room but when I lay it out it looks strange. Maybe it is just because I’ve purchased the wrong frames (too late to return them) or the photos are too stiff (I prefer spontaneous fun pictures). The frames include 5x7, 10x8 and one 10x13.

I have to do something besides constantly moving around the pile. Plus seeing the pile is a reminder of the money I’ve wasted.
#2 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM

The only pictures on my wall are of my kids! I don't think it's obnoxious at all.
#3 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM

I have family pictures all over the house. In the livingroom 8x10's of a candid picture from our wedding and one of dd1. What is the thought process behind not having them in public?

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#4 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaveggie View Post
I have family pictures all over the house. In the livingroom 8x10's of a candid picture from our wedding and one of dd1. What is the thought process behind not having them in public?
I don't know ...We were always told to be modest growing up. Maybe it is related to that? Re-reading my post it does sound odd and I know I can do anything I want since there are no actual 'rules'. Most of my friends do not have large photos hanging in their living rooms either. (clusters on a table I've done and seen.) I guess I didn't want to shout 'look at my cute kids!!'.
#5 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 06:54 PM

There is nothing wrong with it IMHO, but it sounds like you aren't really in love with the final product? Could you move some family photos that you do love from the hallway or another less public area? Or scrap/sell the frames and find some other function for the photos? Don't know if you are craftsy or not, but craftster.org might have some good ideas on projects you could use the photos for. Or gift them to grandparents.

Family photos in the living room isn't obnoxious at all, but it sounds like you might be disappointed in these particular photos...
#6 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
There is nothing wrong with it IMHO, but it sounds like you aren't really in love with the final product? Could you move some family photos that you do love from the hallway or another less public area? Or scrap/sell the frames and find some other function for the photos? Don't know if you are craftsy or not, but craftster.org might have some good ideas on projects you could use the photos for. Or gift them to grandparents.

Family photos in the living room isn't obnoxious at all, but it sounds like you might be disappointed in these particular photos...

I think you are right - it is probably the frames and possibly the photos too. I'll have to check out the site. I tend not to finish projects.... so new frames and moving photos may be the way to go. I think if I purchased frames with the exact same dimensions and laid them out in more of a linear fashion instead of a cluster I may like it more. This just looks too busy.

As far as giving to grandparents... my mom is the only one still alive and she's the one who started this 'photo rule'!! She likes to get one or two 4x6 and that is all.
#7 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We usually had the family photos displayed along a hallway or staircase- wherever we could find a nice place to display them!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#8 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

A cluster can look good.

The first thing is to keep a common theme, and to keep the frames looking SIMILAR. They don't have to be identical - a bunch of different styles of, say, silver frames can look great. I usually stick with black frames, because I have a lot of wrought iron and very dark wood in my home.

Second is the actual arrangement, which can be pretty much anything that will fit on your wall. BEFORE you put a single nail hole in your walls, put your photos into the frames, and lay them out on the floor in several arrangments. I would suggest using post-its to put numbers on your photos, and sketching out your attempts as you lay them out, so that you can remember which photo went where in the arrangements you liked best.

Something arranged like this:

stairway arrangement

Or like this:

Loose cluster

Here are some more ideas:

Diagrams

The most common one in my friends' homes is something like this, with a FAMILY photo in the center, and individual shots around it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llamalluv/2081348337/

Um. that is a quick-n-dirty sketch and is not to scale . Usually, it's an 11x14 or a 20x24 in the center, with 5x7's or 8x10's on the corners. And you don't have to stick with a "portrait" configuration - you can turn it sideways and hang them landscape, if that's how your photos are printed.

I hope this helps.
#9 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM

We don't have any family portaits/pictures in the living room. Not because I think it's not appropriate, though; we don't have the wall space due to windows, shelving, etc. Instead, I put all mine down our hallway leading to our bedrooms.
#10 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 07:48 PM

It's your own house, put whatever you want to see in your living room! If you want to look at a picture of your kids, then do it!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#11 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
nym

I have a small shelf along the entire length of the one wall in my living room, I lean all the pics on it, overlapped. I keep them all the same by only using black frames, and white matting.

Here is a pic
#12 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM

It's your wall... does not matter what your parents did or do.

Do whatever you want to!

Resistance is futile Matey
#13 of 41 Old 12-02-2007, 11:13 PM

I have a 5' x 4' velvet painting of myself in my living room. I don't think its obnoxious at all.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#14 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 02:17 AM

I think decorators usually say no photos in public places. But unless your house is being shot for a magazine or being prepped to sell, I think photos are wonderful. The people who see them (your family, friends, etc) will love seeing them. I know I am always drawn to people's photographs!
#15 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 AM

Our whole living room wall is an 'ode to dd
#16 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our family photos are in a hodgepodge of mismatched frames. I haven't added any recently, even though I have more recent portraits, and they're centered above where the couch USED to be, 2 yrs. ago.

I figure we're moving at the end of our lease in May, I can reorganize it then!

Anyway, DD really enjoys the pictures in the living room. Many of our relatives live far away, and it's helping her grasp a sense of time to see photos of herself chronologically arranged. I may do that next time, or do a family tree--DH and I's couple pic, his parents above him, mine above me, DD below, etc.

DH's DD1's pictures I think are especially important to have up there because aside from a monthly child support payment they're all he has of her and all DD knows of her--I only wish we had more recent ones, but DH's ex doesn't even send them to his mom any more (which she did for a long time because MIL sucked up).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#17 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 AM

No, I don't think it is obnoxious to have big pictures of your kids on the walls. What IS obnoxious is when you order your wedding photos and for the "one" large wedding portrait you order you tell the photographer that you want it no larger than 16 x 20 matted and framed... and he sends you a 16 x 20 picture alone so when it's matted and framed you basically have a poster sized portrait of yourself and your dh. I have it hung in the hall but even I think it's obnoxious!!!
There, my rant is over!
#18 of 41 Old 12-03-2007, 12:00 PM

My mom had a similar philosophy...I think it came from the tradition of having a formal living room in which you entertained honored guests (and all guests were honored). The room was essentially a formal, quasi-public space inside a private home and "personal" items were somehow inappropriate. Like discussing "family matters" in public or wearing work clothes to church.

But if you don't maintain that sort of formal space then there's no reason to apply those traditions to your own home! But I agree with pps...if you don't love the photos/frames then you'd just be creating visual clutter. Find some photos you really enjoy and put them up!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#19 of 41 Old 12-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
I have a small shelf along the entire length of the one wall in my living room, I lean all the pics on it, overlapped. I keep them all the same by only using black frames, and white matting.

Here is a pic
I like that, it looks really nice!
#20 of 41 Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 PM

My mother thought hanging photos of us kids was tacky. It kinda hurt my feelings, and now that I'm a mom, I'll put his photo wherever I want!!! We already started with cat portraits all over the livingroom before we became human ones.
#21 of 41 Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM

I really think this can either way. So if you want to but don't know if you should ask this question:

"Are my children attractive?"

If the answer is "yes" then feel free to display them anywhere you like.

If the answer is "no" then do not display them anywhere, especially the dining room where visitors might begin to feel sick from the hideous-children/bad-food combination.

Take me for instance. I have four children. Children 1, 3, and 4 are beautiful. But child number two is.......well.......lacking in visage. Everyone says she is beautiful but I know what they are really thinking: "Holy-Moley ACK!!!!"

Therefore child numero two has no pictures where guests can openly see. Just in my wallet, which remains shut.
#22 of 41 Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

We have baby pictures and formal portraits of the kids framed and hanging in the living room and dining room. They are so beautiful, and you know what, every guest goes right to them to admire them and comment.

It's your home; it's a personal space, why wouldn't it be alright to have photos of your children/loved ones?
#23 of 41 Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

I think all children are beautiful. What in the world does your second child think since there are no pix of her/him on the wall with the others?

Am I being taken by a troll here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somasoul View Post
I really think this can either way. So if you want to but don't know if you should ask this question:

"Are my children attractive?"

If the answer is "yes" then feel free to display them anywhere you like.

If the answer is "no" then do not display them anywhere, especially the dining room where visitors might begin to feel sick from the hideous-children/bad-food combination.

Take me for instance. I have four children. Children 1, 3, and 4 are beautiful. But child number two is.......well.......lacking in visage. Everyone says she is beautiful but I know what they are really thinking: "Holy-Moley ACK!!!!"

Therefore child numero two has no pictures where guests can openly see. Just in my wallet, which remains shut.
#24 of 41 Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 PM

who cares if it is? its my family, I love the pictures, they are going up
#25 of 41 Old 12-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird View Post
I think all children are beautiful. What in the world does your second child think since there are no pix of her/him on the wall with the others?

Am I being taken by a troll here?
:

His second child is B-E-A-utiful.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#26 of 41 Old 12-08-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I have a 5' x 4' velvet painting of myself in my living room. I don't think its obnoxious at all.

Hell yea.

I like your style.
#27 of 41 Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 AM

You know, when I first read this I thought it was weird not to have pictures in the living room, but I just realized I don't have any either. I have am 8x10 black and white on the kitchen counter, and a few on the fridge, but none in the living room.

I have tons of pics in the hall, though. I have this cluster on top of the shelves, where all the frames match.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...e/DSC03268.jpg

And the end of the hall is my random pictures, the frames are all different colors and sizes, so it looks a bit random but I like it anyway.
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...e/DSC03277.jpg

And I have a few of DD in my room on my book shelve as well. I'm not sure if that actually helped you or not, lol, but GL!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#28 of 41 Old 12-08-2007, 03:45 PM

Most people I know have family pictures in public areas of their home. I don't think it is obnoxious.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#29 of 41 Old 12-08-2007, 04:05 PM

I don't think it's obnoxious.
#30 of 41 Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 PM

My grandparets and IL's always have pictures of everyone all over their dining and living room areas. Really, MIL uses the pictures to remind baby grandkids of relatives that they don't get to see very often. "that's Uncle Doug...that's ____" type stuff. We have 3 wedding pictures in our living room (one ex large something like 20" and 2 8x10 size) and I don't think they're obnoxious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page