New Compacting Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 01-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I think my exceptions water it down too much to be called compacting but I am a *very* conscious consumer. I think about every purchase far too much and try to minimize every aspect of my purchasing from first trying to borrow if feasible, to buying used, to buying less, to minimizing packaging, etc. Most things need to serve more than one purpose and be durable and reusable. It drives dh crazy as I talk things through but it does help cut down on so much wasteful consuming.
At the end of the day, that consciousness is what really matters. It is unrealistic to think that every person will go completely to the compacting way of life. But far too many people buy and consume and buy and consume without giving it a second thought. Hopefully things like this will motivate people to become more conscious of what they buy and consume. We will all be better of for it.
#92 of 99 Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Hello! Just seeing this. I agree that WM Arf is key. I have found so much there. Brig and I call it the treasure shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
Hey Trish! I was just thinking of you the other day. I was talking to my Aunt Pat who wishes she were Aunt Trish... anyway... the ARF Thrift store in Water Mill is great and the little one in Bridgehampton is even more awesome. I also do love Ebay, though it isn't as great b/c of the energy it takes to ship. The consignment place in Hampton Bays is pretty good for the kid's stuff.
#93 of 99 Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM

How's everybody doing? I hope good!

I've been doing really well lately and hope to keep it up. I want to see my savings account balance keep going up each month and this helps to keep me inspired to keep going.

Love,

Jennelle
#94 of 99 Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply_Jen View Post
How's everybody doing? I hope good!

I've been doing really well lately and hope to keep it up. I want to see my savings account balance keep going up each month and this helps to keep me inspired to keep going.

Love,

Jennelle
That is a great goal, Jennelle! We have a lot of debt to pay off, most of it from when we weren't careful with how we spent money. We've never lived extravagantly, but still, all those little unnecessary purchases on credit cards really add up. So that is our focus right now. After that, I'll be there with you in watching savings grow!
#95 of 99 Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 AM

I'm still doing really well.

Ds's birthday is coming up and I'm trying to think of something fun we can do. He loves dinosaurs so one idea I have is to make cupcakes, ice them, and then top them with his little dinosaurs. I'd like to try to find him a couple books at the thrift store, too.
#96 of 99 Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dd's birthday is coming up. I'm kind of looking forward to the challenge! So far, I made the invitations myself:

http://www.hippicks.com/images/monkeyinvites.jpg

I used cardstock and punched circles out of paper lunch bags. I think they turned out cute!

I'm planning on making little beanbags out of banana fabric that I already have. Dh will make a cardboard beanbag toss game (with holes to toss the beanbags through). The kids are little, so mostly they will be interested in playing with dd's and ds's toys - so I don't think we need many activities.

I have already purchased most of her gifts (I planned/bought/made xmas and birthdays at the same time). But I am also getting a tricycle off Craigslist and going to the library book sale tomorrow for some books! I've made her a Waldorf doll, but I need to make some clothing for it. All in all, I think it is going to work!
#97 of 99 Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 PM

My dd found a really cute book at the library that I thought would be perfect for one of ds's friends. I went on Amazon and made a point to go to the used section. The first few sellers had mediocre feedback, said the book had coffee stains, etc. Finally I found one that said it was in new condition and they had 99% positive feedback. Only after I bought it did I realize that this seller is probably a reseller for new books (not used)! Other sellers said "Ships directly from the publisher" and such things, so I think it is the same situation here. I should have been paying more attention (see my sig... ha ha). Anyway, my first official break from the compact - luckily a small and accidental one. I must be more vigilant in the future!
#98 of 99 Old 01-13-2008, 09:11 PM

Hipgal, your party invites and ideas are great! Congrats on your creativity. I'm trying to design invitations for an anniversary party. I'm having trouble creating something that I can trust won't come open in the mail though. I think I might need to purchase envelopes.

And Amazon is kind of a trap, I agree. The over $25 free shipping part always gets me. If you're buying a few books, it costs more to buy them used than it does to buy them new. :
#99 of 99 Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAnt View Post
Hipgal, your party invites and ideas are great! Congrats on your creativity. I'm trying to design invitations for an anniversary party. I'm having trouble creating something that I can trust won't come open in the mail though. I think I might need to purchase envelopes.

And Amazon is kind of a trap, I agree. The over $25 free shipping part always gets me. If you're buying a few books, it costs more to buy them used than it does to buy them new. :
Thanks! I was lucky that we already had envelopes. Otherwise, I would have had to get really creative! I probably could have just done email invites, now that I think of it. But I like making stuff. Then again, it would have been fun to design something on the computer as well!

Yes! I actually paid more because of shipping to buy it used! Well, what I thought was used, anyway. Normally I could get my order up to $25 no problem. But now I can't do that, so in most cases the used books are the same price or more than the new because of shipping! Grrr.

Actually, I have the same problem on Craigslist right now. People list things with such high prices. Like they bought it new for $85 and selling it used for $80. Huh? I even saw a used $20 Ikea easel for $20. Help me out, people!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page