New Compacting Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a search and it looks like the last activity was right before Thanksgiving so I thought I would start up a new thread. I plan on starting January 1st and taking it through the whole year. Is anyone in with me?

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 03:28 AM

Yes! Me!

*not freaking out, not freaking out*

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#3 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 AM

We're thinking of adding Compacting to our Riot 4 Austerity project.
#4 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 01:06 PM

what is Compacting?
#5 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 PM

I am thinking of starting this in the new year, as well...I need to sit down with my DH and work out some guidelines that we both feel we can live with.

I am the "faculty sponsor" of the Buddhist Student Association at my middle school (I'm actually not Buddhist, I'm Episcopalian...but Buddhism fascinates me and they had the idea to form a club and needed a sponsor), and Buddhism has a premise called the "Noble Eightfold Path." The first step is "Right View," which includes acceptance of the "4 Truths," which basically means the following, according to my students:

--life is suffering
--suffering is caused by "want"
--by "wanting," we cause our own suffering
--disconnecting ourselves from want is the way to peace

I'm not sure if this is the best summary or not, but I'm getting my info from a combination of 8th graders and wikipedia. I need to buy a book on this stuff...

It made sense when they explained it, anyway. I am hoping that spending a year on the Compact will help me end my love affair with "want," which is certainly keeping me from peace.

Anyway, I am interested in being part of a Compacting thread in the new year, if one if forming!

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#6 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post
what is Compacting?
nak...

check these out for more info...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=Compacting

hth!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#7 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 03:20 PM

I think the new year would be a great time to start, as long as the thread is reasonably active...the other one sort of died

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
#8 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM

I'm new to this concept, but i'm going to lurk for a bit and maybe make a commitment for 3 months or so starting Jan 1
:
#9 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 04:20 PM

I am in for 1 month at a time. I will begin 01/01/08 as well. I will get my guidelines together this weekend.

I am excited and feel the thrill of the challenge but nervous as well.

Thanks for starting this thread because I know that I will need support through this but am ready for it.

Elizabeth
#10 of 99 Old 12-15-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

I will try and keep the thread rolling by doing weekly check ins and links that pertain to compacting. I was doing pretty well last year until we decided to remodel our bathroom and then I found out I was pregnant. I kind of let it slide but I am ready to commit this year.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#11 of 99 Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 AM

I am in! :

I have pretty much been warming up for this anyway. I have sworn off all big box stores and fast food (coffee was my big purchase at these places). I have no desire to go to Target anymore. I haven't bought anything new except a couple rolls of wrapping paper and some tape. Here are some of my goals, though I will revise them and have them set by next week. Please give me any input you may have.

1. I will not purchase anything new except: needed personal items (undies, etc.), useful, basic crafts for dc (crayons, etc.), tires (I like to bike ride), items necessary for work (paper, binders, ink, etc.).
2. I will avoid disposable items, except toilet paper.
3. I will buy locally as much as possible.
#12 of 99 Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 AM

DH and I are actively discussing it, starting with committing to 1 month. This will be huge for us, as I am a Starbucks and Target addict. :

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#13 of 99 Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd like to try for January at least. Maybe Jan - March would be a good trial and see if I can go the whole year.

My compact compact exceptions are: safety items, hygenic items, small business purchases and maintenance items (for example, I expect my laptop battery to die in the next few months and I will replace it).

Let's go for it!
#14 of 99 Old 12-16-2007, 03:36 PM

I'm thinking about trying for January. We've made several changes in our lives recently that SHOULD have left us with a bit more $$ each month.....

I'm just not seeing it.

Oh....and regarding the new items? I was able to buy the wrapping paper needed for Santa (I had to get something other than the fabric we're using) at a resale shop for $1.

Is compacting about not buying anything or just not buying new?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#15 of 99 Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

This is gives the best description and takes you through the year that this person went through. http://sfcompact.blogspot.com/search...max-results=23

#16 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM

I'm so stoked to start!

#17 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 PM

I am in! I joined MDC specifically looking for a Compacting group, so YAY!
I will be starting Jan 3. My bday is Jan 2, and I am still a kid who wants presents at heart.
I am doing it for the consumerism, environmental, needing to get comfortable with discomfort reasons, while my husband is doing it to save money and pay off debt. At first I was frustrated because he wasn't in it for the same reasons, but I think this will actually be a good thing--we will be able to keep each other on track regardless of the reason.
#18 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 06:07 PM

Here are the guidelines I have set up for myself for the Compact 2008.

I will not buy anything new except health items, underwear, socks, shoes in 2008. I will only buy these items once the ones I currently have are used up or worn out.

My exceptions include crafting material for my sewing and bookmaking.
When my batteries I have are used up I will buy rechargables.
Printer paper but I will purchase the highest percentage of recyleable as possible.
1 magazine per month max.
1 book per month max.
Also we are going to plant a garden this spring and get 2 chicken as well so any supplies we need for them we can not purchase used.

Elizabeth
#19 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epdeans View Post
Here are the guidelines I have set up for myself for the Compact 2008.

I will not buy anything new except health items, underwear, socks, shoes in 2008. I will only buy these items once the ones I currently have are used up or worn out.

My exceptions include crafting material for my sewing and bookmaking.
When my batteries I have are used up I will buy rechargables.
Printer paper but I will purchase the highest percentage of recyleable as possible.
1 magazine per month max.
1 book per month max.
Also we are going to plant a garden this spring and get 2 chicken as well so any supplies we need for them we can not purchase used.

Elizabeth
We are going to have a communal garden with my family this year in our yard. We bought a house on about 1 acre, so we plan on it being quite big. I wish that I had time for chickens, but my two girls keep me busy enough as it is.

#20 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2mama View Post
I am in! I joined MDC specifically looking for a Compacting group, so YAY!
I will be starting Jan 3. My bday is Jan 2, and I am still a kid who wants presents at heart.
I am doing it for the consumerism, environmental, needing to get comfortable with discomfort reasons, while my husband is doing it to save money and pay off debt. At first I was frustrated because he wasn't in it for the same reasons, but I think this will actually be a good thing--we will be able to keep each other on track regardless of the reason.
Welcome to MDC! This is a great supportive community.

#21 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 PM

My neighbor just got 4 chickens so I am going to glean some information and tips from him and hopefully get 2 chickens in the spring. I am excited about that.

Elizabeth
#22 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 PM

anyone else having trouble convincing DH to get on board? I would love to try, but I may have to take it one week at a time!
#23 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I hope to become an active member of this community.
#24 of 99 Old 12-17-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingtoCrunch View Post
anyone else having trouble convincing DH to get on board? I would love to try, but I may have to take it one week at a time!
My DH isn't on board, but my semi-Compacting ways (read: cheap!) have already filtered down to him through me. I can't win him over to committing to Compact, so I'll just go it alone. I'm the main household purchaser anyhow. Every little bit counts, right? :

#25 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 AM

Can I be in after February 17th? That's my DS's birthday and there are some things that I really, really want for him to have. :

ETA: I wanted to add that I've been mentally preparing for this. I've greatly reduced my spending in general and we are making the majority of our holiday gifts.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#26 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 01:06 AM

I am the primary purchaser in my house too. I think that will help a ton.
I am not going to be too controlling about him sticking to/breaking the Compact because successfully controlling myself is more than a full time job.
#27 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 01:22 AM

I want to try it, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a wimp...so lame, I know.

I'm in for January, at least.
#28 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
My DH isn't on board, but my semi-Compacting ways (read: cheap!) have already filtered down to him through me. I can't win him over to committing to Compact, so I'll just go it alone. I'm the main household purchaser anyhow. Every little bit counts, right? :
That is where I am at too. My dh is a carpenter, so when he needs a new tool it is sometimes hard to find one that is refurbished when he needs it and also the same goes for supplies. I purchase the groceries and household items along with clothes for me and the girls. He is on board for decluttering and phasing plastics out of our lives. We already switched over to cloth diapers, napkins, mama cloth and ecobags. I've always tried consignment stores for clothing. My downfall is etsy. I NEED to by things on there because if I don't, they will be gone.

#29 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 11:47 AM

I'm definitely in for the month of January [will need a lot of support and encouragement from you all though!]

I tried this in October for a month and I only made it till the 7th and then it seemed like I went spending-crazy the whole rest of the month. Ugh!

Love,

Jen

It's my goal to spend not one penny during January except for buying groceries, that's it!
#30 of 99 Old 12-18-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
I am thinking of starting this in the new year, as well...I need to sit down with my DH and work out some guidelines that we both feel we can live with.

I am the "faculty sponsor" of the Buddhist Student Association at my middle school (I'm actually not Buddhist, I'm Episcopalian...but Buddhism fascinates me and they had the idea to form a club and needed a sponsor), and Buddhism has a premise called the "Noble Eightfold Path." The first step is "Right View," which includes acceptance of the "4 Truths," which basically means the following, according to my students:

--life is suffering
--suffering is caused by "want"
--by "wanting," we cause our own suffering
--disconnecting ourselves from want is the way to peace

I'm not sure if this is the best summary or not, but I'm getting my info from a combination of 8th graders and wikipedia. I need to buy a book on this stuff...

It made sense when they explained it, anyway. I am hoping that spending a year on the Compact will help me end my love affair with "want," which is certainly keeping me from peace.

Anyway, I am interested in being part of a Compacting thread in the new year, if one if forming!

Holly
I've got a book if you want it. It is from a class I took on Eastern religions. http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Tradi...7996915&sr=8-1
The class covered Buddhism and Hinduism and I learned a lot, but the book is sitting here collecting dust.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page