Freecycle is Stressful! Oh No! - Update - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I posted my 1st stuff on freecyle last night. A ton of board games from our hall closet, and a huge bag of stuffed animals. So many people responded in the first hour! And I had to choose who to give them too! Everyone had these great places theyw ould be used and cherised, and I had to choose one. No one told me about that part.

Now I am stressing that the people wont come get them!

Tell me my worry is just b/c I am a 1st timer!

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#2 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 PM

Yes, it can be hard to choose who to give an item to. Some folks give to the first to respond , but our local Freecycle recommends you wait a bit and then go through the responses to give people who aren't online constantly a chance at things. There is a search function that allows you to search by username to see if any of your responders have posted before. I check that to see if responders have given away anything or are only asking for things . I do suspect there are those who take everything and then resell it, so often I choose to donate to a charity where I know things are freely given to those in need. I usually use Freecycle for things too large for me to haul away.
#3 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Keep the emails of all the people who responded- if the first one doesn't show up when they're supposed to, offer it to the next person on the list (doens't have to be chronological order- you decide who's second on the list based on gut instinct or who sounds most appreciative or whatever reasons you want to use.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

AHHH! Someone else -- not a freecycler -- just drove by and took EVERYTHING I had left out for other people. Right by my door. THis is a neighborhodd where people take stuff on the curb, but I have a LONG walkway.

And the WORST is I finally convinced the girls to give their train table to someone else who needs it more. (One of the freecyclers was taking to a childrens mental health place near here.) And HE JUST TOOK THE TOP b/c he couldn't fit the table in his car!!!

I am mad. And Glad the decluttering is getting underway, there is no good place to donate in this neighborhood. BUT WHY DID HE DO THAT?

I need to let this go, I think... (That is the point, isn't it? Letting go of the stuff and emotions that go with them?)

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I suggest you email the Freecylers who were supposed to come and let them know what happened.

And maybe in the future you can just put stuff out at the curb and not bother with Freecycle, since you're in a neighborhood where stuff won't go into lanfills anyway.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Personally, I would report it to the police. Unless you listed your address in the initial Freecycle post (and I hope you did not!), no one should be on your front steps taking ANYTHING!!

We've had some bad experiences around here too Actually, I just looked and realized you aren't that far from me.
#7 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 PM

That's what I was thinking. Just because you left your stereo in your front yard, doesn't mean it isn't theft when it goes away. Call the police!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#8 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Funny I just posted yesterday a bag of books. I had reposted it because a few weeks back, the one response didnt show. Well I posted and 6 people came back at me today! One person wanted it for the Senior Citizens in her building.
Fast forward to this afternoon. I went to run errands, when I arrived home, the bag was gone. The lady emailed me and said there was only about 9 books and no non fiction. When I put it out that morning, there was 14-16 and a few were non fiction and a few chick books not just mysteries. So someone else came by and pick and chose what they wanted. My mail was on top of the pile so I am wondering if the mail man took his share! Not that I care but its funny. A few weeks ago I could not give this away and now all these people want them.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Funny I just posted yesterday a bag of books. I had reposted it because a few weeks back, the one response didnt show. Well I posted and 6 people came back at me today! One person wanted it for the Senior Citizens in her building.
Fast forward to this afternoon. I went to run errands, when I arrived home, the bag was gone. The lady emailed me and said there was only about 9 books and no non fiction. When I put it out that morning, there was 14-16 and a few were non fiction and a few chick books not just mysteries. So someone else came by and pick and chose what they wanted. My mail was on top of the pile so I am wondering if the mail man took his share! Not that I care but its funny. A few weeks ago I could not give this away and now all these people want them.

But I have posted things a few hours after putting it out to have a neighbor or drive by take the stuff.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 16 Old 12-19-2007, 11:37 PM

But I have posted things a few hours after putting it out to have a neighbor or drive by take the stuff.

#11 of 16 Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
Personally, I would report it to the police. Unless you listed your address in the initial Freecycle post (and I hope you did not!), no one should be on your front steps taking ANYTHING!!
I agree. I also agree that Freecycle can be more stressful than it is worth at times.
#12 of 16 Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 PM

I wonder how I posted it 3 times!

#13 of 16 Old 12-21-2007, 12:08 PM

This is why I donate most things to a locally run thrift shop, and save freecycle for very hard to get rid of things, like Styrofoam packing peanuts and broken furniture.

That is so sad that a train table and other nice things would be removed from in front of your house without someone even ringing the doorbell to ask if it was OK. Not nice neighbors. They are probably still driving around looking for more things.
#14 of 16 Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 PM

When I use Freecylce, I usually keep everything inside and only allow people to come to my house when I'm home. That way, I can insure that things go home with the right person.
#15 of 16 Old 12-21-2007, 01:22 PM

I posted on freecycle to get rid of a very large and cumbersome pool table. The fellow came to look at it, of course this involved walking through my house to see it in the basement. My husband was livid because after all was said and done 3 strange men had to come through our house to get it out and of course they've seen all our stuff, I"m just not comfortable doing that again. I think next time if I have big things I want to get rid of i'll have to call the diabetes foundation they come pick up furniture and resell to raise money .
#16 of 16 Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
I posted on freecycle to get rid of a very large and cumbersome pool table. The fellow came to look at it, of course this involved walking through my house to see it in the basement. My husband was livid because after all was said and done 3 strange men had to come through our house to get it out and of course they've seen all our stuff, I"m just not comfortable doing that again. I think next time if I have big things I want to get rid of i'll have to call the diabetes foundation they come pick up furniture and resell to raise money .

As a rule, I don't let anyone in the house. I only post something after DH and I have moved it to the garage.

I also try to schedule pick-ups so that only one person is coming at a particular time (and I do request they tell me what time they are coming over). I don't think it's too much to ask -- they are getting great stuff for free!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page